Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

cent0r posted:

Is it realistic to go from Tokyo to Kyoto to Hiroshima (and Rabbit Island (hey shut up :D)) and back to Osaka in 7 days? Reason being a JR rail pass will save me over $80 but it seems so rushed.

Yes, which is pretty much what my group did last year (Minus Hiroshima). It's a bit of a hurried schedule but it's do-able. You'll lose half a day in travel to/from Ookunoshima so don't be lazy and sleep in. On our last trip we flew in to Narita, and had the 14-day pass so we used the JR pass to ride the NEX as well. 14 days, 3 reserve tickets on shinkansen, plus the NEX to & from the airport and we ended up saving ~$100 per head.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I'm should be on Ookunoshima this weekend with a few friends, if there's anything you'd like me to look into for you while I'm there, let me know!

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

You'll lose half a day in travel to/from Ookunoshima so don't be lazy and sleep in.

I think this will be the hardest part.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm should be on Ookunoshima this weekend with a few friends, if there's anything you'd like me to look into for you while I'm there, let me know!

Carrots or cabbages or feed?

tynam
May 14, 2007
Is anyone a rock climber here? Or can anyone direct me to where I can find some climbers in Japan? I'm planning on visiting next month for a couple weeks and wanted to do some deep water soloing (which seems ideal for the late summer heat). I only know one place so far though, and figured it'd help if I had more recommendations of where to go, or even someone to guide.

If anyone is willing to guide I'll gladly pay in beers and food/meals.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

cent0r posted:

Carrots or cabbages or feed?

All of it. Feed them all the things. If you can spare it, feed them one of your group.

Wolfgang Muthspiel
Aug 1, 2008
Can any Australian's provide info on getting working holiday visa's? I've got a few job's that are virtual locks at Niseko next year for bar work. The working holiday visa prohibit the use of bars/entertainment industry places as reference/guarantor's. One of the jobs is a restaurant so i was thinking of using that as the reference. I'm also a qualified teacher, how necessary is the reference, would i get by saying I'm intending to find a job when i get over there?

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges
Finally hitting up Fukuoka tomorrow. Any suggestions? I don't drink.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

Wolfgang Muthspiel posted:

Can any Australian's provide info on getting working holiday visa's? I've got a few job's that are virtual locks at Niseko next year for bar work. The working holiday visa prohibit the use of bars/entertainment industry places as reference/guarantor's. One of the jobs is a restaurant so i was thinking of using that as the reference. I'm also a qualified teacher, how necessary is the reference, would i get by saying I'm intending to find a job when i get over there?

I'm Canadian so maybe the restrictions are a bit different, but I was told that you aren't supposed to have a job lined up for a working holiday visa. Just tell them you are travelling, will find some odd jobs in the country to support yourself, and you'll be fine.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

prompt posted:

I'm Canadian so maybe the restrictions are a bit different, but I was told that you aren't supposed to have a job lined up for a working holiday visa. Just tell them you are travelling, will find some odd jobs in the country to support yourself, and you'll be fine.
As a Norwegian, this is my experience as well. They even told me explicitly that the focus is on the "holiday" part rather than "working".

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Niseko hires scores of foreigners every ski season. Ask about the possibility of a real visa and/or talk to Niseko directly about the visa and hiring process.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

krut posted:

Finally hitting up Fukuoka tomorrow. Any suggestions? I don't drink.

What do you want to do?

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges

Ned posted:

What do you want to do?

We are thinking about going to a museum and maybe the beach. Last weekend we were in Tokyo so I think we're looking for a more relaxing weekend. Has anyone seen any good live music in Fukuoka?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

krut posted:

We are thinking about going to a museum and maybe the beach. Last weekend we were in Tokyo so I think we're looking for a more relaxing weekend. Has anyone seen any good live music in Fukuoka?

I haven't been to any museums here but there are quite a few to choose from. The beach in Fukuoka is called Momochi and it is ok but I don't think anyone swims there. Make sure you check out a Yatai while you are here. It is my favorite thing to take visitors to.

Fukuoka is not much of a live music town and the only bands that play here are ones that have hardcore Japanese fans who follow them around.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
We're having trouble finding a place to stay in Osaka tonight and tomorrow for a decent (less than 30 us dollars Per head Per night) price. Any ideas in what to do when towns fill up like this during the weekend?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

prinneh posted:

We're having trouble finding a place to stay in Osaka tonight and tomorrow for a decent (less than 30 us dollars Per head Per night) price. Any ideas in what to do when towns fill up like this during the weekend?

Find an internet or manga cafe? $30 is rough unless you're sharing a bed.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Find an internet or manga cafe? $30 is rough unless you're sharing a bed.

Love hotel and one person sleep on the couch if you're too uptight to share a king size bed between two, more like.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

prinneh posted:

You can try couch surfing you broke rear end hobo

Wolfgang Muthspiel
Aug 1, 2008

prompt posted:

tyblazitar posted:

As a Norwegian, this is my experience as well. They even told me explicitly that the focus is on the "holiday" part rather than "working".

Cheers guys, so you applied without the reference and all was fine? I guess i will just sell them on the fact I'm going for a holiday despite having jobs lined up.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

caberham posted:

You can try couch surfing you broke rear end hobo

Haha, we did! Alright, thank you all for the suggestions. Right now we are living up to our new hobo name and are just hanging around the trainstation :)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Osaka I've often stayed at Chuo Business Hotel near Shin Imamiya Station/Subway Doubutsuen Mae.
http://www.chuogroup.jp/en/

Lol it's been so long since I've been there, they've actually converted to a hostel!

It's also close to Spa World and the red light district.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
In the end we relied on japanese hospitality. We looked up a hostel in an area that seemed nice (Koreatown, mainly because I'm a kimchi addict) and went in without reservations. Being extremely polite, they apologised and called a place nearby and got us two beds in a dorm at Hiro's. In case anyone ever searches this thread for "Osaka" and "Hostel", Hiro's is very good and I'll recommend it from inside the common room right now.

All is well that ends well :)

Edit: The Japan Thread: I spent 3 hours on free wifi at the Osaka trainstation trying to find a room during a festival

prinneh fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 19, 2014

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Wolfgang Muthspiel posted:

Cheers guys, so you applied without the reference and all was fine? I guess i will just sell them on the fact I'm going for a holiday despite having jobs lined up.

Hiya, I'm Australian and had my work visa sponsored, but my hubby came over on a working holiday visa and looked for work after we arrived. We had a vague itinerary organised for him to submit with the paperwork, including a few places to visit in Japan. In the end, when they saw his savings, they smiled and stamped the papers, he had his visa a fortnight later. I recommend not focusing on work, but if you've got some money saved up, you'll be right.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
There's so many hobos in Japanese parks I wonder if a bunch of tourists would even be noticed if you stowed your luggage in a train station...

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

peak debt posted:

There's so many hobos in Japanese parks I wonder if a bunch of tourists would even be noticed if you stowed your luggage in a train station...

This was an option for tonight if I didn't make it far enough from Heneda to my hostel in Ueno. Hey I already paid for a room, I ain't paying for another.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

peak debt posted:

If you're clearly foreign, yeah, for sure.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I saw several homeless people when I was in Japan, mostly in Tokyo. Relatively speaking, does Japan have a substantial homelessness problem?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Not substantial, no. Winters are deadly and family obligations are strong. Big cities provide tiny dormitory-ish apartment (compartments) for people living on benefits and/or looking for work.

Homeless don't beg or perform here, either. Just chill all day.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

peanut posted:

Not substantial, no. Winters are deadly and family obligations are strong. Big cities provide tiny dormitory-ish apartment (compartments) for people living on benefits and/or looking for work.

I hadn't factored in the filial duty cultural difference. I do remember that the homeless were way cleaner, quieter and generally just less crazy than the ones I have locally. I'd never seen a homeless person with a carefully organised cardboard box with their shoes placed neatly outside while they were sleeping. It was kind of surreal.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

When I exited the Okubo station in Shinjuku (and later got lost!) I saw some homeless people sleeping under an overpass. I was surprised to see that in Japan, but I guess that is naive of me to think that.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

When I lived in Kyoto a decade ago they had some little tarp and cardboard shantytowns set up under some of the Kamo river bridges. No idea if it's still there, I didn't think to look when I went in May.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

peanut posted:

In Shinjuku station if you go REALLY early, like before most people are awake and the stores are open, there are homeless people like, carpeting the floor. It was surreal.

So general Japan question - When I went I visited Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto. What are some of the nice smaller towns to visit? Like one of those towns where everybody knows everybody and the infrastructure hasn't changed since the 70s? It looked like there was a bunch of that as we were leaving Kyoto.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Probably everywhere around the provinces?

I went to see the maglev Shinkansen in Otsuki where every guide book tells you to grab a Taxi but I just had a walk there instead because taking a Taxi for 5km seemed first-world as gently caress and got through some pretty quaint towns.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Small towns-
Nara isn't tiny but you should definitely go.
Hiroshima, same.
Kurashiki is a kawaii canal town.
Iga-Ueno for endless rice fields and the ninja museum.

Rent a bike and cross between Hiroshima and Ehime on the Shimanami Kaido. All the small towns you'd ever want. Gorgeous island views.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

When exactly are you visiting? Local festivals are always great.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Haven't decided on a general date at all yet, just got back this April but me and my wife are already discussing going back eventually. She also wants to see Hokkaido possibly, but ice everywhere.

We really liked Japan :3: would go more often if it wasn't so far and a ticket wasn't like $2000 per person.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Haven't decided on a general date at all yet, just got back this April but me and my wife are already discussing going back eventually. She also wants to see Hokkaido possibly, but ice everywhere.

We really liked Japan :3: would go more often if it wasn't so far and a ticket wasn't like $2000 per person.

Hokkaido is still really nice to see during the ice festival, because even though there is ice and snow everywhere, it isn't really super cold. Sapporo is also definitely designed with the cold in mind and there are lot of heated underground passages linking the main parts of the city. It's also really nice in the summer there because it's not as butt hot as the rest of the country, but if I had to choose one time to visit it would definitely be during the ice festival.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Thinking of taking a trip to Japan for a week or so. Currently living in China so obvious fights should be cheaper and shorter right?

So far my results have net me an average ¥2000-3000 (£200-300) flights that last 12 hoursish and have a stop off or the only result for a direct flight is ¥5500. Which is fine except there's two of us going. Anyone got a good travel agent/website booker thing to recommend?

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

peanut posted:

Rent a bike and cross between Hiroshima and Ehime on the Shimanami Kaido. All the small towns you'd ever want. Gorgeous island views.

This. Onomichi is a quaint little town that's quite pretty and has nice views. Shimanami Kaido is one amazingly beautiful ride - don't think there are many places in Japan that can match that.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

So far my results have net me an average ¥2000-3000 (£200-300) flights that last 12 hoursish and have a stop off or the only result for a direct flight is ¥5500. Which is fine except there's two of us going. Anyone got a good travel agent/website booker thing to recommend?

Throw another zero on those jpy prices!

Use Spring Airlines to fly Chengdu - Shanghai - Japan and/or Peach Airlines for an Osaka hub or Vanilla Air for a Tokyo hub (change in HK, Taiwan or Korea.)
That's about the same price but hopefully you can make shorter or more interesting layovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

peanut posted:

Throw another zero on those jpy prices!

Use Spring Airlines to fly Chengdu - Shanghai - Japan and/or Peach Airlines for an Osaka hub or Vanilla Air for a Tokyo hub (change in HK, Taiwan or Korea.)
That's about the same price but hopefully you can make shorter or more interesting layovers.

Sorry they were Chinese yuan prices, not Japanese yen prices.

Thanks I'll check those out!

• Locked thread