Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

ProfessorGroove posted:

Are there still mummies that instantly curse you when they see you in adventure mode?

I'm not completely sure, but until the aggression of NPCs is fixed they'd probably just talk to you about what they did with their week instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Drevoak posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I already had turned off all the harder stuff so I'm surprised to see that I still have warpstone spawning. I've double checked my setting and generated a new world yet I still have warpstone appearing.

EDIT: Figured it out. Patch changed it so warpstone still spawns but isn't dangerous now.

Another option (at least in the older masterwork version I played) was turning temperature off. That way, even if you hit some unstable warpstone it stays in solid form instead of instantly subliming into a gas for your dwarves to breathe in. Then you can dispose of it however you like. Also works for coal dust (iirc its a special type of coal that only appears hidden in a coal seam that has a different boiling point to regular coal).

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
How do I tell my dorfs to stop climbing into the drymoat to clean up monkey poo?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mister Adequate posted:

Wrong. A true dwarf would just as soon have nature and the great outdoors burned to ashes and converted into a great mining pit.

You forgot to include "while drinking heavily and puking on literally everything."

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

ProfessorGroove posted:

Are there still mummies that instantly curse you when they see you in adventure mode?

I've run across a few mummies but they didn't curse me, just summon dozens of skeletons and then kick the poo poo out of me.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

AXE COP posted:

I've run across a few mummies but they didn't curse me, just summon dozens of skeletons and then kick the poo poo out of me.

That sounds kind of like a curse.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Fargo Fukes posted:

How do I tell my dorfs to stop climbing into the drymoat to clean up monkey poo?

Seal it off or use burrows. There might be something in the orders menu too, I don't know.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
I kind of miss the volcanoes from years ago where they wouldn't be one monolithic shape. I hate having to sacrifice some poor schmuck to actually tapping the drat things.

Actually...Its more the needlessly convoluted method for making and engraving a proper monument. I won't lie.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I kind of miss the volcanoes from years ago where they wouldn't be one monolithic shape. I hate having to sacrifice some poor schmuck to actually tapping the drat things.

Actually...Its more the needlessly convoluted method for making and engraving a proper monument. I won't lie.

You can hack into a volcano without killing the miner, by channeling instead of digging. Dig a 1-tile wide path to the volcano as you normally would, then channel the last tile instead of digging. This creates an open space on the tile below, which the lava has to fill before it can flow into your corridor. Should give you plenty of time to close the floodgate you've rigged to close the tunnel. For extra time, channel the last tile diagonally, as fluids flow more slowly diagonally. Also, make sure to designate some mining work in a safe area when your miner starts channeling the last tile, because then he'll immediately run there to do it rather than stand around thinking about what to do next.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

With DFHack magic, you could just build a magnificent sky-piercing obsidian monolith that you then transform into "natural" rock with tiletypes.

You should be able to engrave stone brickwork anyway, so bypassing the preposterous requirement to cast entire natural features from magma isn't unreasonable. If you want to be even more sporting, use only raw stone boulders and wooden scaffolds.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Apoffys posted:

You can hack into a volcano without killing the miner, by channeling instead of digging. Dig a 1-tile wide path to the volcano as you normally would, then channel the last tile instead of digging. This creates an open space on the tile below, which the lava has to fill before it can flow into your corridor. Should give you plenty of time to close the floodgate you've rigged to close the tunnel. For extra time, channel the last tile diagonally, as fluids flow more slowly diagonally. Also, make sure to designate some mining work in a safe area when your miner starts channeling the last tile, because then he'll immediately run there to do it rather than stand around thinking about what to do next.

Another option is to use a pump.

HFCS
Oct 16, 2013
I just had my first ever experience with... well, not entirely sure yet. A Werechameleon arrived and destroyed a good part of my fortress, and then morphed into a friendly Human, and is now running across treetops naked. He stored some of my dead dwarfs on the trees as well.

As soon as it morphed into a human, one of my own dwarfs went into, I'll say a "mood" (looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!) ... killed a fellow dwarf, and is now crafting -something- out of his corpse. This should be interesting..

Edit: He made a crown. A Crown made of dwarf bone. Not even anything spectacularly fancy, just.. a crown made of his friend's bones.

Now everyone is unhappy for some reason.

HFCS fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 20, 2014

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
adventure mode is really confusing me. my buddy got accosted by some thugs in a town and when they started kicking him, i intervened. i kept getting "really attack swordsman y/n?" messages but eventually prevailed. while i was hunting the last one down, my buddy just abandoned me? and now people seem to be avoiding me. how do i tell if someone is going to be hostile soon, and why did that dude run off when i helped him :mad:

edit: i have four dudes who are clearly with the group i murdered, constantly taking me off of the world map because i "feel uneasy" but I've yet to have them attack me. they aren't even grouping around me. when i ask them if they have troubles, all they can do is say that "ono [me] killed guy a and guy b"

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 20, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Verviticus posted:

adventure mode is really confusing me. my buddy got accosted by some thugs in a town and when they started kicking him, i intervened. i kept getting "really attack swordsman y/n?" messages but eventually prevailed. while i was hunting the last one down, my buddy just abandoned me? and now people seem to be avoiding me. how do i tell if someone is going to be hostile soon, and why did that dude run off when i helped him :mad:

If he got involved in a fistfight and your ran in and gutted someone with a battleaxe or something, that might have made you look like a psychopath to him.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

HFCS posted:

I just had my first ever experience with... well, not entirely sure yet. A Werechameleon arrived and destroyed a good part of my fortress, and then morphed into a friendly Human, and is now running across treetops naked. He stored some of my dead dwarfs on the trees as well.

As soon as it morphed into a human, one of my own dwarfs went into, I'll say a "mood" (looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!) ... killed a fellow dwarf, and is now crafting -something- out of his corpse. This should be interesting..

Edit: He made a crown. A Crown made of dwarf bone. Not even anything spectacularly fancy, just.. a crown made of his friend's bones.

Now everyone is unhappy for some reason.

drat, it's been a while since I've read about a Fell mood :unsmigghh:

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Also, aggression is bugged right now. Hardly anything will attack you. I went into an ettin's cave and started fighting him, and he ran away at a sprint. He only turned to fight after he became enraged, once I had already nearly cut him to ribbons. The best way I've found to get things to attack you is to yell out, demanding everyone nearby to surrender. People don't like that for some reason.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

my dad posted:

If he got involved in a fistfight and your ran in and gutted someone with a battleaxe or something, that might have made you look like a psychopath to him.

they yelled YOU MUST YIELD multiple times and started killing him. he was not in good shape.

HFCS
Oct 16, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Yep. And just in case I foolishly thought I could recover from this death spiral, a goblin siege arrives and all of my fighters refuse to do anything besides panic :(

Edit: Holy frak, AND an elven ambush at the same time.

Edit again: Well, the goblins and the elves have met and are killing each other, but it's too little too late. My dwarfs were caught in the middle and too many were slain to be able to save this.

HFCS fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 20, 2014

anatolehp
Jun 5, 2013
I've got a weird bug in 0.34.11. My game moves on fine but the year stays 147. It may or may not be because of dfhack though I really haven't used many commands beside force, cleanowned and clean all. Also I can't seem to get anymore migrants, maybe because of that bug. Help?

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Apoffys posted:

That sounds like way too much work to spare the stupid migrant wave rear end in a top hat with Potash Making (Expert) as their highest skill.

That being said, my last Potash Miner did survive breaching the volcano so she's earned her place among the living.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

News from TWBT front:

Mifki posted:

Main branch version 3.31 got a new `colormap` command to change individual colors or reload colors.txt, see readme. Command to reload tilesets is expected later as well.

"Nextgen" branch below.
Version 4.29 has almost all optimisations I was going to do, now rendering is up to 2x faster than the main branch when many levels are rendered.
Now it's possible to refer tilesets by id instead of ordinal number (old overrides.txt will still work).
The same `colormap` command.

Nextgen branch should now behave exactly as the main branch if map and text tilesets have the same size (in terms of compatibility with other plugins), at least until zoomed. So it will become the main version soon once I fix some random crashes.

Nextgen package now includes modified version of mousequery plugin that works correctly with different sizes for map/text tiles. It also supports live query function for lower levels and ability to select tiles on lower levels.

Also this mousequery version has support for click-and-drag for map scrolling. Enabled with command "mousequery drag <left|right>". This functionality can be used independently of TWBT and the code will be merged into dfhack once tested a bit.

Multiscroll plugin also updated for better compatibility with the nextgen branch.

Bolding not mine. Jesus christ you lunatics map that memory faster

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Trial by magma. I dig it.
Not sorry for the pun.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

scamtank posted:

Bolding not mine. Jesus christ you lunatics map that memory faster

How do they even go about this? I'm a programmer by trade, but I've never tried something like what they're doing, so I have no idea what's involved.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

If I've understood it right, all you'd need is Cheat Engine, a reference table and a lot of patience. We know what 0.34.11 looks like, all that's left to do is see what got scrambled to where with 0.40.

It's pushing a nerve and seeing which toe twiddles, except you need to find the toe first in a mass of bodyparts that writhes with your every move.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
An invading roc grabbed my military commander by the tongue with its wing, and then bit his head off.

edit:

something stinks

Mu. fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 20, 2014

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'
Does anyone know why I'd be finding babies in lairs in adventure mode? Hostile, named babies. That are about 70 years old.

Currently using the starter pack and Fear The Night for 0.34.11.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
What kind of babies are they? Night creature, werebabies, vampire babies or something?

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

GenericOverusedName posted:

What kind of babies are they? Night creature, werebabies, vampire babies or something?

Listed as human babies.

Edit: just found another one:

I hope this is a bug. They're too easy to kill and don't/can't really fight back.

subhelios fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 20, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

subhelios posted:

I hope this is a bug. They're too easy to kill and don't/can't really fight back.

That nickname/title is rather appropriate, at least.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Is there any way to remove a blowgun from a hunter? As an artifact, I can't dump it and forbidding it doesn't work. Maybe I should just mod in a "create blowdart" reaction...

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

toasterwarrior posted:

Back in the 2d version I was having a hard time with a fortress because of invading elephants. Two of my guys were outside gathering wood when one of them was trampled and killed by an elephant. His buddy immediately went berserk and punched the elephant so hard it died, then went into a fell mood, ripped off his buddy's head, and stormed back into the fortress. On his way, as he passed by people in the entrance hall, they saw him with the severed head of his companion and went insane. He locked himself in the craftsdwarf shop and started working. When he was finished, he had created a dwarf skull totem and instantly went insane. Other people walked into the workshop to start storing stuff, and instantly went insane.

In fact, anybody who looked upon the totem immediately lost their mind. I had to seal up that area.

Shortly thereafter, one of the few insane dwarves who hadn't yet jumped into lava or otherwise died decided to stand in the doorway leading outside, and let in a herd of elephants. They slaughtered the rest of my population. The end.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Back in the 2d version I was having a hard time with a fortress because of invading elephants. Two of my guys were outside gathering wood when one of them was trampled and killed by an elephant. His buddy immediately went berserk and punched the elephant so hard it died, then went into a fell mood, ripped off his buddy's head, and stormed back into the fortress. On his way, as he passed by people in the entrance hall, they saw him with the severed head of his companion and went insane. He locked himself in the craftsdwarf shop and started working. When he was finished, he had created a dwarf skull totem and instantly went insane. Other people walked into the workshop to start storing stuff, and instantly went insane.

In fact, anybody who looked upon the totem immediately lost their mind. I had to seal up that area.

Shortly thereafter, one of the few insane dwarves who hadn't yet jumped into lava or otherwise died decided to stand in the doorway leading outside, and let in a herd of elephants. They slaughtered the rest of my population. The end.

Holy gently caress that's downright Lovecraftian. You should have tried to acquire that artifact in Adventure Mode.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Oh man I didn't even consider trying that. Adventure mode was so utterly unfinished back then I barely even knew it existed, so it never crossed my mind.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Has anyone else experienced bizarrely peaceful fortresses in Masterwork? I'm still getting beasts, titans, snatchers and whatnot but I'm five years in without getting a siege or ambush.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Make sure your weapon isn't drawn when you enter a town. It scares people. :ohdear:

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Fargo Fukes posted:

Has anyone else experienced bizarrely peaceful fortresses in Masterwork? I'm still getting beasts, titans, snatchers and whatnot but I'm five years in without getting a siege or ambush.

This may be dumb, but you don't have invaders turned off do you?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

FutonForensic posted:

Make sure your weapon isn't drawn when you enter a town. It scares people. :ohdear:

does that work with any wielded item?

Villager 1 :"Look out, he's got a handful of vomit!"
Villager 2 : :iit:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

You strap the vomit to your upper body.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Speaking of Masterwork, does anyone know how to disable multilevel rendering in the latest 0.34 Masterwork package? It says there's a DFHack command on the TWBT page to disable it, but nothing is working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

I was kinda hoping to be able to make it out of blood, but this works too.