Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

So I spent a couple hours experimenting with lua today, have figured out how to:
- max out a single resource (ore/oil) node
- max out all resources within a square around the player
- seed new resources in a square around the player (could probably modify this to a circle if people really want...)
- reset the game evolution factor (so you face only small biters instead of medium/big biters - doesn't affect stuff that's already spawned though)
- stock your inventory with a bunch of materials and stuff (pretty much anything you want really. It also checks for stuff you already have - so if you say "I want 10 basic mining drills" and you have five already, it'll give you five more).

This can all be done from the console within the game - if anyone wants the code for this, just let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Dealing with Biters is teh only thing that seems marginally useful.

I built a rocket defense. Clicked it, started the ship landing. And then nothing happened.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

SpookyLizard posted:

Dealing with Biters is teh only thing that seems marginally useful.

I built a rocket defense. Clicked it, started the ship landing. And then nothing happened.

I mostly did this because A: I was annoyed with how slow the beginning game was and B: I was peeved at oil running out all the time. Figuring out how to de-angrify biters was just a sideeffect of browsing the wiki.

Yeah, the game ending is rather anticlimactic.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Thel posted:

I mostly did this because A: I was annoyed with how slow the beginning game was and B: I was peeved at oil running out all the time. Figuring out how to de-angrify biters was just a sideeffect of browsing the wiki.

Yeah, the game ending is rather anticlimactic.

I'd sooner jsut edit my starting location and/or drop additional resources at the spawn. Next time I'm going for enitrely no-help approach. The only thing that ever really bothers me is dealing with biters and etc. I'd be tempted to do another peaceful thing but oh god you really gotta go get alien artifacts early on to get some of hte better/basic combat techs. Big biters without Power Armor or destroyers oh god.

I'd actually love a mod to let me manufacture the alien artifacts instead of requiring me to harvest them from biter spawners. I will only accept war when it can be automated. I'm fine-ish leading the troops, but preferably I'd rather drop a beacon/or have a soldier-port type thing to deal with.

Like I mentioned earlier, i just want to load up a cargo train with automated robots to go out and laywaste to nature.

(If I could force them to only drive AWAY from my structures, I'dlet them have cars.)

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

SpookyLizard posted:

I'd sooner jsut edit my starting location and/or drop additional resources at the spawn. Next time I'm going for enitrely no-help approach. The only thing that ever really bothers me is dealing with biters and etc. I'd be tempted to do another peaceful thing but oh god you really gotta go get alien artifacts early on to get some of hte better/basic combat techs. Big biters without Power Armor or destroyers oh god.

I'd actually love a mod to let me manufacture the alien artifacts instead of requiring me to harvest them from biter spawners. I will only accept war when it can be automated. I'm fine-ish leading the troops, but preferably I'd rather drop a beacon/or have a soldier-port type thing to deal with.

Like I mentioned earlier, i just want to load up a cargo train with automated robots to go out and laywaste to nature.

(If I could force them to only drive AWAY from my structures, I'dlet them have cars.)

What would you say is a fair recipe for alien artifacts then? Material costs and time taken?

Adding the recipe is pretty easy, but what people think is fair is a lot harder.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dunno-Lars posted:

What would you say is a fair recipe for alien artifacts then? Material costs and time taken?

Adding the recipe is pretty easy, but what people think is fair is a lot harder.

Well, one artifact is 10 purple beakers. Blue beakers take batteries, steel, smart inserters, and advanced circuits.

This means we need something significantly more complicated, and in fairly large numbers. I'd say that in order to keep the same level of complexity, you need some combination of processing units, modules, and express belts. That uses lubricant, sulfuric acid (so significant oil tech), and a ton of lower level processing time and materials. To keep things fairly simple, the easiest method would be to just make one alien artifact out of one of each level 2 module. That's a ton of components, a ton of time needed to make it (and a significant opportunity cost of not using the modules!), and a fairly complicated production line. If you want to be even more sadistic, include the flying robot chassis that is the basis of logistic bots, for an even higher opportunity cost.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Clearly the solution is domesticated biters kept in special enclosures and farmed for artifacts.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Someone please make that mod. Way way beyond my capabilities.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

FuSchnick posted:

Now I want a factory that turns one entire tree into a single extra fancy toothpick, while playing Powerhouse as the background music.
Oh my god. I just realized. With the newer patches adding in localized sound effects for buildings, you actually could build this building including the Powerhouse music.

poo poo, I might take up Factorio modding tomorrow. Quick, someone tell me what useful (something number-changey) thing the toothpick should do.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

DaveKap posted:

Oh my god. I just realized. With the newer patches adding in localized sound effects for buildings, you actually could build this building including the Powerhouse music.

poo poo, I might take up Factorio modding tomorrow. Quick, someone tell me what useful (something number-changey) thing the toothpick should do.

There should be another machine that takes a few thousand toothpicks and synthesises a new log, of course.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Toothpicks should clearly be a kind of ammunition for guns. Either the best or the worst, I'm not sure which.

e:

senae posted:

There should be another machine that takes a few thousand toothpicks and synthesises a new log, of course.

No wait, this.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 20, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Dirk the Average posted:

Well, one artifact is 10 purple beakers. Blue beakers take batteries, steel, smart inserters, and advanced circuits.

This means we need something significantly more complicated, and in fairly large numbers. I'd say that in order to keep the same level of complexity, you need some combination of processing units, modules, and express belts. That uses lubricant, sulfuric acid (so significant oil tech), and a ton of lower level processing time and materials. To keep things fairly simple, the easiest method would be to just make one alien artifact out of one of each level 2 module. That's a ton of components, a ton of time needed to make it (and a significant opportunity cost of not using the modules!), and a fairly complicated production line. If you want to be even more sadistic, include the flying robot chassis that is the basis of logistic bots, for an even higher opportunity cost.

I made this mod way earlier:

I shoulda made that engine a bot frame, but I literally cranked the mod out from "how babby form mod" to "tested as completed and working" in the time it took Rocket Defense to tick down 10 minutes.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 20, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Would probably make more sense for that to give purple beakers directly and then alien artifacts become a sort of shiny reward item that supercharges your lategame research :shrug:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I also made that mod while I was being a whiny :spergin: that the combat was horrible. Ah, the follies of youth :allears:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Neruz posted:

Would probably make more sense for that to give purple beakers directly and then alien artifacts become a sort of shiny reward item that supercharges your lategame research :shrug:

Nah, because certain recipes require the actual artifacts themselves.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh really? I didn't realise artifacts were used for anything other than purple beakers :v:

God that makes no sense, the people in charge of this mission literally dropped you on the planet without the ability to build the thing you need to build to complete your mission. If sheer blind chance didn't happen to mean that the biters grow wierd orby things that can be used to build the structures neccesary to win the game then the colony ship would be hosed and there would be nothing you could do about it.

Did anyone think this mission through at any point?

Neruz fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 20, 2014

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Sensors have detected pockets of material critical to our advanced tech. They seem to be present on the surface, so no digging should be required - we have structured a mission around gathering and utilizing them immediately.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Bhodi posted:

Sensors have detected pockets of material critical to our advanced tech. They seem to be present on the surface, so no digging should be required - we have structured a mission around gathering and utilizing them immediately.

So the answer is that they thought it through exactly enough to be stupid about it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Evilreaver posted:

I also made that mod while I was being a whiny :spergin: that the combat was horrible. Ah, the follies of youth :allears:

Like I mentioned above, I don't have issues with the combat per se, I just don't like HAVING to go and do the gathering myself. Until I can automate biter-murder and orb salvaging, I'd like alternative to constructing the artifacts. I suggest Destroyer Capsules, a gun or two, and maybe the robot chasis. Or a car.

But that may not be complex enough.

E: the way I see it is it needs to be complex enough that it's not a joke, but not so complex that it slows down the late game. Robot Chassis I don't even find to be too difficult, because I eventually have a couple thousand logibots and stop producing them.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 20, 2014

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Thel posted:

So I spent a couple hours experimenting with lua today, have figured out how to:
- max out a single resource (ore/oil) node
- max out all resources within a square around the player
- seed new resources in a square around the player (could probably modify this to a circle if people really want...)
- reset the game evolution factor (so you face only small biters instead of medium/big biters - doesn't affect stuff that's already spawned though)
- stock your inventory with a bunch of materials and stuff (pretty much anything you want really. It also checks for stuff you already have - so if you say "I want 10 basic mining drills" and you have five already, it'll give you five more).

This can all be done from the console within the game - if anyone wants the code for this, just let me know.

I'd like the codes to add/max out pockets of oil!

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Neruz posted:

So the answer is that they thought it through exactly enough to be stupid about it.

Or, y'know, most of the game content is placeholder because this is an alpha.

Seriously, the "to do" list includes "proper endgame" and "proper tech tree" and the rocket defense is explicitly referred to as a placeholder mechanic.

Colonel J posted:

The easiest way to do this is:

code:
game.createentity{name = "iron-ore", position= game.player.position}.amount=2000000000
also works for "coal","copper-ore", and "stone", which will overlap fairly freely (but this isn't as much of an issue since miners will still handle them fine)

Oil patch overlap is ugly and unuseful, so there's.

code:
game.createentity{name = "crude-oil", position= game.findnoncollidingposition("crude-oil",game.player.position, 32, .1)}.amount=2000000000
for refreshing a resource: mouseover a chunk of ore (or oil patch, or whatever)

code:
game.player.selected.amount=2000000000
Edit: to refresh a bunch of oil patches:

code:
p=game.player.position;for _,i in pairs(game.findentitiesfiltered{area={{p.x-32,p.y-32},{p.x+32,p.y+32}},name="crude-oil"}) do i.amount=2000000000 end
2e9 is not the actual maximum amount, but it's pretty darn large and easy to remember.

Loren1350 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 20, 2014

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

For those that want craftable alien artifacts, I made a quick mod here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzRhV-nRtwx0b0ZpZFJTUTJackk/edit?usp=sharing

I picked things you don't really automate, adding difficulty that way. To be fair, everything is pretty much infinite anyway, so it's just a waste of time to require thousands of things.

So, to make one alien artifact, you need:

2 diesel locomotives
2 express transport tunnel entrances
2 speed module 2
50 iron sticks

The idea is, you put the diesel locomotives on sticks, propel them against eachother into the tunnel, using speed modules to make them faster. After this, you will end up with lot's of pieces, which some might call artifacts. And you have no idea what they are, so they must be alien, right?

Makes sense, yeah?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Neruz posted:

You can't escape the Peter principle and echo-chamber planning meetings simply by going to another planet.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Rather than adding combat robots, I'd personally rather combat be automated by introducing something like the Big Bertha cannon from Total Annihilation. Effectively unlimited range, ammunition is complicated to manufacture, puts a huge drain on your power grid to fire. Then just add some kind of scavenger bot to go pick up the artifacts.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Mayakashi posted:

Rather than adding combat robots, I'd personally rather combat be automated by introducing something like the Big Bertha cannon from Total Annihilation. Effectively unlimited range, ammunition is complicated to manufacture, puts a huge drain on your power grid to fire. Then just add some kind of scavenger bot to go pick up the artifacts.

That'd be neat! Could make it fire by laser marker and its not an exact science in where the shell lands.

We need more Big Bertha cannons in games, i was oddly happy when i discovered it was in Creeper World 3. :unsmith:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Are there any good mods for inventory management? After a while my inventory is full of useless garbage and I have to keep sorting my toolbar. Maybe something that makes reserved slots automatically fill with what's reserved?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

T-man posted:

Are there any good mods for inventory management? After a while my inventory is full of useless garbage and I have to keep sorting my toolbar. Maybe something that makes reserved slots automatically fill with what's reserved?

It already does that, middle click on your toolbelt!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Where? Middle clicking on the squares just give me an option to set a filter. Middle clicking on the UI doesn't do anything. :saddowns:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I just started using trains and they're pretty neat! I've got a setup that runs out, grabs copper ore from an outpost, and brings it back to my depleted copper mines. Pretty soon I'm going to have to expand that operation with a second train car.

I know people have mentioned that trains aren't that cost-effective, but they're a lot of fun, and most importantly, if an outpost needs maintenance or comes under attack, I can get there quickly by just hitching a ride on the rails!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

T-man posted:

Where? Middle clicking on the squares just give me an option to set a filter. Middle clicking on the UI doesn't do anything. :saddowns:

I must have misunderstood. Middleclicking on your toolbelt reserves that space for that item, so it's always right where you expect it. Aaand, the logistics bars have bots refill your stuff. If you need something else, I don't understand :confused:

VVV Can't be done :(

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 21, 2014

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
How do I deselect something for deconstruction?

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Is there any reason you couldn't place a blueprint in the open? I have no collisions and I'm able to use shift-click ghost over the area, but can't actually place the blueprint.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Voxx posted:

Is there any reason you couldn't place a blueprint in the open? I have no collisions and I'm able to use shift-click ghost over the area, but can't actually place the blueprint.

Does the blueprint contain train tracks? I know they can get weird due to train tracks being a 2x2 size.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Sometimes it just doesn't work. When that happens I save the game and reload, and then I can place it just fine.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

FISHMANPET posted:

Sometimes it just doesn't work. When that happens I save the game and reload, and then I can place it just fine.

Of course restarting works, rule number one. :doh:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

So I just finished the game (well, essentially; I didn't build the rocket defense, but that just would have been a matter of time, and quite frankly, nobody has time to build one hundred level 3 modules).

It turns out that Mk2 Power Armor with 2 fusion reactors, 8 exoskeleton thingies (30% movespeed boost each), 3 mk2 shields, a mk2 battery, and night vision is utterly hilarious. I popped down 10 of the best combat robots (they come five to a pod, so it's easy), and literally just walked all over biter camps, even with large numbers of the big biters. The robots cleaned house with the biters, the shields stopped me from taking any real damage, and I could walk with the combat shotgun firing faster than the biters could hit me. I'd swoop in, kill the nests, and run off to the next biter nest before the bots expired. Nests that took me ~5 minutes to clean out with laser turret walking turned into a massacre that lasted a maximum of thirty seconds.

On top of all that, I had put effectivity 1 modules in everything, and swapped over to entirely solar power, so my pollution was at a minimum (I tried manufacturing effectivity 2 modules for a while, but they build too slowly - far better to just get effectivity 1 modules in place in everything and swap over to 2's later on if absolutely necessary). I still had steel furnaces eating solid fuel, so my pollution could have been cut even further with electric furnaces, but as it stood, I wasn't even getting attacked by biters.

The big biters are a nightmare though - even with all of the gear that I had, it still took forever and three days (without bots) to kill a swarm of the bastards. It's a shame that the only effective weapon in the late game is the shotgun, as rockets are expensive to use and far less damaging, the flamethrower is a joke against big biters (it saved my rear end a few times early on against mediums though), and the submachine gun is a joke against anything but the smallest enemies.

At some point I should rework my armor to put in a whole bunch of the personal laser defense turrets and see how that goes. I have the feeling that the lasers just won't do enough damage to put a dent in anything though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Why put a handful of turrets on yourself when you can spam out a limitless number of temporary turrets fueled by an entire empire's war machine?

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Laser defense still works when you're in a car. Shields and exoskeletons don't matter when you're in a car.

What I'm saying is, two different armors with different setups for personal use and vehicular use is overkill but hilarious. Lasercar is fun.

(No, it's not as powerful as using combat bots. But, like the flamethrower, sometimes you just need to say screw the numbers and have fun.)

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Colonel J posted:

In addition to what Shintaro posted above, if you want a nice regular patterned oilfield (a square with oil placed so that you can get pumpjacks on it and pipes out from it), then plug this into the console:

code:
-- create new resources. skip_x and skip_y are mostly for crude oil (everything else only takes up one tile anyway).
-- res_names: coal, stone, crude-oil, copper

res_name = "crude-oil"; skip_x = 3; skip_y = 4; start_x_offset = 10; start_y_offset = 10; end_x_offset = 10; end_y_offset = 10; 
for pos_x = game.player.character.position.x - start_x_offset, game.player.character.position.x + end_x_offset, skip_x do 
  for pos_y = game.player.character.position.y - start_y_offset, game.player.character.position.y + end_y_offset, skip_y do 
    if (game.canplaceentity{name = res_name, position = {pos_x, pos_y}}) then 
      game.createentity{name = res_name, position = {pos_x, pos_y}, amount = 20000000}; 
    end 
  end 
end 
res_name = nil; skip_x = nil; skip_y = nil; start_x_offset = nil; start_y_offset = nil; end_x_offset = nil; end_y_offset = nil; 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.

Thel posted:

In addition to what Shintaro posted above, if you want a nice regular patterned oilfield (a square with oil placed so that you can get pumpjacks on it and pipes out from it), then plug this into the console:

code:
-- create new resources. skip_x and skip_y are mostly for crude oil (everything else only takes up one tile anyway).
-- res_names: coal, stone, crude-oil, copper

res_name = "crude-oil"; skip_x = 3; skip_y = 4; start_x_offset = 10; start_y_offset = 10; end_x_offset = 10; end_y_offset = 10; 
for pos_x = game.player.character.position.x - start_x_offset, game.player.character.position.x + end_x_offset, skip_x do 
  for pos_y = game.player.character.position.y - start_y_offset, game.player.character.position.y + end_y_offset, skip_y do 
    if (game.canplaceentity{name = res_name, position = {pos_x, pos_y}}) then 
      game.createentity{name = res_name, position = {pos_x, pos_y}, amount = 20000000}; 
    end 
  end 
end 
res_name = nil; skip_x = nil; skip_y = nil; start_x_offset = nil; start_y_offset = nil; end_x_offset = nil; end_y_offset = nil; 

Additionally you can set the amount to -1 instead and you end up with practically infinite resources. Which is actually the name of a mod that does just that.