Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I agree, putting computer ports on a cat's head is wrong. First of all, cats lack the proper firmware, and there's no sign of any updates coming from the manufacturer. Don't trust unsigned patches for your cat, people. You can't jailbreak a cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

I love when I look dubious stuff up on Wikipedia and there are bold headlines like "This article needs attention from an expert in Medicine.".

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

So, what does "bear" mean? What happens past the threshold normally? And why does it not apply during childbirth?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BonHair posted:

So, what does "bear" mean? What happens past the threshold normally? And why does it not apply during childbirth?

Because women love their babies so much it allows them to soldier on past a completely arbitrary and subjective measure of pain.

That image has been going around for a while and it's always been stupid. Pain is more or less impossible to actually measure given that different people feel different amounts of pain and have different tolerances to it. It's also kind of absurd because painkillers are things that exist and a lot of women use them during child birth because apparently it's horrifyingly painful.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

newreply.php posted:

same as how this:

is about as clever as this:

Do US states not have emission standards for vehicles. If people did that here (Australia) you'd get reported pretty quick and your vehicle classed un-roadworthy.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Pain is more or less impossible to actually measure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rWs_tncktU

:colbert:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I agree, putting computer ports on a cat's head is wrong. First of all, cats lack the proper firmware, and there's no sign of any updates coming from the manufacturer. Don't trust unsigned patches for your cat, people. You can't jailbreak a cat.

I don't care how many crimes against nature I have to commit, I want my cat to get off the windowsill when I tell it to. Bricking a cat or two to get superuser permission is a small price to pay.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

It is wrong that the part of this I find most irritating is that the (relatively useless and therefore almost never used) unit for pain is a dol, not a del? Don't get me wrong, childbirth is loving heroic and I think we should all be more impressed by it than we are but jfc if you're going to make up some nonsense about it you might as well spend the three second on Wikipedia that it would take to look up the actual unit.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Because women love their babies so much it allows them to soldier on past a completely arbitrary and subjective measure of pain.

It's also kind of absurd because painkillers are things that exist and a lot of women use them during child birth because apparently it's horrifyingly painful.

Having gone through that twice, I can attest that an epidural is the most wonderful thing in the world.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
This was a bit back but what the gently caress is "unschooling"?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Crain posted:

http://bit.ly/1nWYZFP

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Crain posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186581&pagenumber=1108&perpage=40#post432445086

:crossarms:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Crain posted:

See: endumbening.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Dogfish posted:

It is wrong that the part of this I find most irritating is that the (relatively useless and therefore almost never used) unit for pain is a dol, not a del? Don't get me wrong, childbirth is loving heroic and I think we should all be more impressed by it than we are but jfc if you're going to make up some nonsense about it you might as well spend the three second on Wikipedia that it would take to look up the actual unit.

Childbirth isn't really heroic because every other animal on Earth does it and you never see glurge-y memes about "a mother sewer rat's love" and at least in first world countries its usually voluntary. I have given birth four times and the women who post crap about the magic of birth make me laugh. Heroic is running into a burning building to save some kids/a dog/ grandma's last surviving photo of the son she lost in 'Nam. Birth isn't anything special.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Stairs posted:

Childbirth isn't really heroic because every other animal on Earth does it and you never see glurge-y memes about "a mother sewer rat's love" and at least in first world countries its usually voluntary. I have given birth four times and the women who post crap about the magic of birth make me laugh. Heroic is running into a burning building to save some kids/a dog/ grandma's last surviving photo of the son she lost in 'Nam. Birth isn't anything special.

Considering you cranked out four of them I'm guessing it's just nothing special to you, specifically. Also, can people stop having so many kids, the planet is heavily overpopulated as it is. Stick to one or two

christ

reminds me of footage from some show about child protective services taking some woman's kid away and her screaming "Whatever, I'll just have another one, assholes!"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nibbles141 posted:

Do US states not have emission standards for vehicles. If people did that here (Australia) you'd get reported pretty quick and your vehicle classed un-roadworthy.

Varies from place to place. But basically there a lot of, uh, let's say "traditional" places in the country where such a thing is probably legal.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Varies from place to place. But basically there a lot of, uh, let's say "traditional" places in the country where such a thing is probably legal.

In Georgia, the only places you see emissions standards and testing is in Atlanta and wealthier towns (Newnan, Savannah, Augusta, maybe Columbus). Everywhere outside that is free game as far as emissions go, because no one gives a poo poo about backwater rural countryside. You try pulling that kind of poo poo in Atlanta though and you'll get your truck impounded.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Excels posted:

Considering you cranked out four of them I'm guessing it's just nothing special to you, specifically. Also, can people stop having so many kids, the planet is heavily overpopulated as it is. Stick to one or two

christ

reminds me of footage from some show about child protective services taking some woman's kid away and her screaming "Whatever, I'll just have another one, assholes!"
Don't get me wrong, the births I expereinced are special to me, they're my kids after all. I just don't think that everyone, especially those who chose not to have kids, should have to be inundated by Facebook hugboxes trying to make it sound like the most important thing ever. Because it's nothing more than every other animal goes through.
As for having too many kids, I actually do realize that because of my choice i have to "give back" somehow so I try to make up for the difference by recycling more, donating to charities, and being environmentally friendly.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Stairs posted:

Don't get me wrong, the births I expereinced are special to me, they're my kids after all. I just don't think that everyone, especially those who chose not to have kids, should have to be inundated by Facebook hugboxes trying to make it sound like the most important thing ever. Because it's nothing more than every other animal goes through.
As for having too many kids, I actually do realize that because of my choice i have to "give back" somehow so I try to make up for the difference by recycling more, donating to charities, and being environmentally friendly.

If you want to give back you should murder a bunch of white children, you can pick which ones because I can see how you wouldn't want your own ones to die, it's only natural.

i miss lf :(

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Stairs posted:

wow, i thought i sounded like an rear end in a top hat and then you came back with a totally cool and mature post. way to go :unsmith:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Sorry, was phone posting and forgot which thread actually had the unschooling posts.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Crain posted:

Sorry, was phone posting and forgot which thread actually had the unschooling posts.

No biggie, I just found it odd, especially considering you got answered pretty quickly in the other thread. :)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Stairs posted:

Yeah, it's pretty annoying as someone who has made the decision to not have children. It's all over my facebook because all the people I went to college with have gotten married and are now having kids. Congrats on doing exactly what your body is designed to do! If we're going to celebrate basic biological functions I'd like a pat on my back every time I have a satisfying poo poo.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Aerofallosov posted:

Guess that's what we get for randomly carving a country out of the middle east and hoping for the best.

The entire Middle East was randomly carved into countries, that's why it's such a wreck.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

DrNutt posted:

I'd like a pat on my back every time I have a satisfying poo poo.

You're right there, Doc, you've got the wad of paper in your hand. Just give your backside a pat while you're already down there.

Don't use the soiled side, obviously.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Nibbles141 posted:

I believe emissions standards are usually applied at the manufacturer. These are specifically fuckers who mod their vehicles to belch smoke.

And it doesn't just offend me because of the environmental angle. I got hit by some jackass belching smoke on the Garden State Parkway a few years ago, and I couldn't loving see through all the black smoke. If these fuckers haven't caused accidents already, they will.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Rogue 7 posted:

I believe emissions standards are usually applied at the manufacturer. These are specifically fuckers who mod their vehicles to belch smoke.

And it doesn't just offend me because of the environmental angle. I got hit by some jackass belching smoke on the Garden State Parkway a few years ago, and I couldn't loving see through all the black smoke. If these fuckers haven't caused accidents already, they will.

On top of that many of the mods can be switched on and off. So they can "blast" a cyclist or Prius when the coast is clear, but keep the pipes clean when they could get in trouble. Because they're still just loving bullies and cowards.

These people also (used to) use the loophole of designating their trucks as farm cars so they were exempt from many emissions requirements since the cars "were meant for road use", at least outside of getting gas and small runs for stuff. But they just drove them as usual.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
Also they think they are "sticking it to the liberals in CA and NY" but really what they're doing is producing soot and fine dust, both of which are highly localized carcinogenics and very much not greenhouse gases (or gases at all).

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The thing that gets me is that it's just wasting fuel for no reason. I get that you don't care, but you are pretty much just burning (extra) money to prove a stupid point.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, it's pretty annoying as someone who has made the decision to not have children. It's all over my facebook because all the people I went to college with have gotten married and are now having kids. Congrats on doing exactly what your body is designed to do! If we're going to celebrate basic biological functions I'd like a pat on my back every time I have a satisfying poo poo.

To be fair the feeling of relief after birth is eerily similar to the one after having shoved a huge log out so go for it! Better yet, do it as a comment on someone else's "precious angel" post.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
gently caress I didn't even know they did it to cyclists, that should be (is?) a loving felony.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BonHair posted:

The thing that gets me is that it's just wasting fuel for no reason. I get that you don't care, but you are pretty much just burning (extra) money to prove a stupid point.

Yeah, it's basically just a bunch of "no gently caress YOU, dad!" It isn't about any issue other than "YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!!!"

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

^^It's like telling a child to wash their hands after using the bathroom before lunch and they decide to poo poo on their hands before eating a sandwich. ^^

newreply.php posted:

gently caress I didn't even know they did it to cyclists, that should be (is?) a loving felony.

Yeah, there are plenty of videos of socially inebriated assholes "coal rolling" cyclists.

This one isn't as bad as some I've seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdDxjge5hmY

Then there are these assholes who do it to pedestrians, stop up traffic and spray into peoples cars, and other wonderful examples of why we need a new plague:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbAhfThNoco

Crain has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Jul 20, 2014

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, it's basically just a bunch of "no gently caress YOU, dad!" It isn't about any issue other than "YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!!!"

A friend of mine on a motorcycle was run off the road by one of those assholes' smoke clouds so when he got back on the road he pulled up next to the truck and threw a bottle at the driver. It didn't solve anything, but it sure made him feel better about almost dying.

Edit: One of those videos showed a truck blowing diesel smoke into a crowd of Westboro Church people. That's an approved action.

HonorableTB has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Jul 20, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

StimpsonJCat posted:

Posted absolutely unironically by a friend's husband who loves his conspiracies:

I was so close to replying, but he's not one to be bothered by "actual facts."

I love that image because it's 100% factually correct.

Also, cancer was cured by Nixon or some poo poo.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Still lucking out so far with no shares about either Gaza or the Ukraine.

YOU'D BETTER RUN, EGG! :argh:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Breaky posted:

Thats enough to keep you high as a bitch for at least as long as it takes to die of cancer

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Breaky posted:

That is also 70 grams. Seven syringes, 10 grams each...

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
Girl I know posted a video of her son fishing titled "Jack catches an 13 pound carp". It was 1:18 of her son reeling something in and 0 seconds of what it looked like. All filler no killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Serperoth posted:

That is also 70 grams. Seven syringes, 10 grams each...

No, Picard. There are six syringes.

• Locked thread