Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

homewrecker posted:

That's funny, I thought that part was really lame because Belial is supposed to be the "Lord of Lies" and a master of deceit, so I feel like it was really anti-climatic for his whole plan to end up being really transparent. Same thing with how Azmodan is supposed to be a master tactician and all he really does is tell you about his plans while you're already in the process of destroying everything he's throwing at you.

Oh, yeah. It would have been better if Belial's scheme wasn't so transparent, yeah. However, since I was able to figure it out easily, I was glad that my character also figured it out. It just pisses me off when I figure out a really transparent plot twist ages before it happens and the characters act like it was some big huge surprise, holy poo poo.

I just liked that Diablo 3 didn't pull that. It was just, "Yeah, I know who you are; time to kick your rear end."

All told, I preferred Torchlight 2 to Diablo 3 anyway but eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait for BF Hardline to fail and see what franchise they decide to mercilessly milk to death.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Abyss Odyssey is a really cool game on Steam. It's a lot of fun!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Whatever, I already voted Yes and said as much and joined their group. Trigger is pulled, free game is coming, and it doesn't look like a terrible game other than all that gross stuff that's in it.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Bethesda games are the kind of games I respect because of the scale and scope of the whole thing, but actually playing through them is like trying to eat bland flavorless mush. I'm trying to play Skyrim right now and the characters and story are drab and boring, the combat/"exploration" is repetitive and unsatisfying, and every minute I try to slog through it, the more I want to just go try the Witcher 2 instead.

The best description I ever heard of Skyrim is that it is an ocean wide, but only a foot deep. I enjoyed it still, but most of that was from wandering around the world looking at the sights and listening to the soundtrack, which really isn't what most people would play it for. The plot and characters are okay I guess, but in the end it just feels like a wasted opportunity to tell an epic and unique story.

Mod it to hell and back.

Orv
May 4, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

Whatever, I already voted Yes and said as much and joined their group. Trigger is pulled, free game is coming, and it doesn't look like a terrible game other than all that gross stuff that's in it.

Hint: That makes it a bad game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

King Vidiot posted:

just to be clear, if you read the rest of that thread it's someone asking if the game will be censored, the dev saying no and then people reminding them that the japan and us psp releases were both censored from the pc version because of those things mentioned and pretty please make sure the child nudity and whatever else are restored.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Here's a question someone may or may not know. My friend and I picked up EYE: Divine Cybermancy and we just can't figure out how to play multiplayer. I mean, we see some 32 player battle servers but that's not what we're interested in. We just want to play some 2-player co-op. I googled around for a little bit but all I've really seen is people saying "learn to forward your ports" and we also tried this method which didn't seem to work at all.

Anyone know how to get EYE co-op running?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rookersh posted:

So Syndicate, ME3, DS3, and DA2 are coming to Steam soon then right? I mean no more DLC is being created for them, they could easily make a complete pack for their fans that don't like using Origin.

EA doesn't even discount the DLC for ME3 on their Origin store so I doubt we'll see a complete pack on any platform anytime soon.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Awesome! posted:

just to be clear, if you read the rest of that thread it's someone asking if the game will be censored, the dev saying no and then people reminding them that the japan and us psp releases were both censored from the pc version because of those things mentioned and pretty please make sure the child nudity and whatever else are restored.

Ah, so it's a pretty safe bet that we're getting the pre-censored PSP release and not the Japan PC version?

Anyway I left the group, if I still wind up with the game for posting then so be it.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Gort posted:

I was kinda perplexed that Diablo 3 had zero choices throughout the entire game and you were just supposed to accept stuff like, "Reassembling this clearly evil undead necromancer dude is a good idea that will work out well for us" while he mwahahas it up in the background.

Palladium posted:

A Diablo III with no story other than "Diablo is there, kill him" would still be better than full Metzen we got.

Spiderdrake posted:

D3 is just painful. They have so much money. Hire a real person instead of a used up husk please.

Blizzard has a George Lucas problem. The "idea people" at Blizzard are the wealthy boss guys from the early days who're propped up by talented programmers, musicians, and artists. Instead of hiring professional writers and directors, they put themselves in the driver's seat and come up with the terrible scripts and direction we see in the Diablo and Starcraft sequels. They can't even get the fundamental tone right in Diablo. Look at what they did to the Butcher. Look at those godawful cutscenes from Starcraft II. It's nothing but cackling villains now. This is some very basic stuff that they don't seem to understand. These games are well-made, and a merely passable effort would skate by. But the writing and direction is distractingly poor.

duckfarts posted:

PC master race

I take advantage of every excuse to repost this image:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

computer parts posted:

EA doesn't even discount the DLC for ME3 on their Origin store so I doubt we'll see a complete pack on any platform anytime soon.

The only thing you can do is wait and hope they do a GOTY/Complete edition for $40 after all the DLC is released.

For some reason they didn't do this with the ME Trilogy edition, even though Lair of the Shadow Broker was essential to the ME3 plot. So you can buy the trilogy for $50, then spend another $50 for all the never discounted DLC.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

King Vidiot posted:

Ah, so it's a pretty safe bet that we're getting the pre-censored PSP release and not the Japan PC version?

Anyway I left the group, if I still wind up with the game for posting then so be it.

that's what it seemed like to me but I didn't read the whole thing. I'm in the group and will accept my free copy and if it turns out that it's got bad anime stuff I'll just give it to freak futanari :v:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

pentyne posted:

The only thing you can do is wait and hope they do a GOTY/Complete edition for $40 after all the DLC is released.

For some reason they didn't do this with the ME Trilogy edition, even though Lair of the Shadow Broker was essential to the ME3 plot. So you can buy the trilogy for $50, then spend another $50 for all the never discounted DLC.

Yeah the closest we ever got to a "GotY" Edition was on the PS3 of all systems, as it had all the major DLCs for Mass Effect 2 except The Arrival with ME2.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alternatively, just skip ME3 like you would DA2.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

King Vidiot posted:

Or it might not be coming at all. I did the 'vote yes and get a free copy' thing for a couple other not-entirely-lovely-looking greenlight titles a ways back, and only once they actually got greenlit did they reveal that there are in fact very limited quantities of keys to give away free and you have to be online to post your claim in this 3-hour window and hope you beat the rest of the people trying to get in on it. :what:

Seriously this poo poo should be banned.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Yeah, but unlike DA2 you would be missing out on a good game :colbert:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Alternatively, just skip ME3 like you would DA2.

Ending aside, ME3 was still pretty amazing. The only major downfall was how much content you were locked out from without a save carried over from ME1 and ME2.

If EA/Bioware wants to continue doing the "epic game trilogies" they need to implement a app to let people manually set the major plot flags that the saves would trigger.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The ending is the worst part but it is by no means good before then. It has its moments and the weird horde mode thing they added was surprisingly entertaining, but you're really not missing much by just ending out on ME2.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Manatee Cannon posted:

The ending is the worst part but it is by no means good before then. It has its moments and the weird horde mode thing they added was surprisingly entertaining, but you're really not missing much by just ending out on ME2.

Counterpoint: Priority: Tuchanka is the sweetest poo poo. A Thresher Maw eats a Reaper.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ME3 (as a massive fan of ME1+ME2) starts off weird, turns pretty drat cool, and turns to poo poo near the end storywise. The actual gameplay is the best it's been. The first hour and everything past Rannoch are terrible though storywise; but for 5bux or something it's hard to go wrong.

That still beats DA2 in my eyes. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

LordHippoman posted:

Counterpoint: Priority: Tuchanka is the sweetest poo poo. A Thresher Maw eats a Reaper.

Like I said, it has its moments.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pentyne posted:

If EA/Bioware wants to continue doing the "epic game trilogies" they need to implement a app to let people manually set the major plot flags that the saves would trigger.

This is exactly what's being done with Dragon Age Inquisition. It's called the Keep.

Not that Dragon Age was a great series or anything (ME was like, three times more interesting), but it's what they're doing.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Zedd posted:

ME3 (as a massive fan of ME1+ME2) starts off weird, turns pretty drat cool, and turns to poo poo near the end storywise. The actual gameplay is the best it's been. The first hour and everything past Rannoch are terrible though storywise; but for 5bux or something it's hard to go wrong.

That still beats DA2 in my eyes. :v:

Just the MP alone of ME3 in spite of all the P2W nonsense and balancing issues is a much better game than DA1 + DA2 combined.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Like I said, it has its moments.

The best parts of ME3 were

- Javik, and taking him everywhere to hear his amazing dialogue
- The main quest line dealing with the Genophage
- Leviathan's backstory revelations (still a dick move to make it $10 though)
- Citadel DLC just being a blast to play
- Multiplayer
- The Asari homeworld quest line
- The Geth/Quarian conflict

So 1/3 of it was paid DLC, but after being invested in the series since the start it was still worth it to me to play through the entire game.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I think some of y'all actually forgot how really loving terrible DA2 is if you hesitate which was better. I can understand not liking certain aspects but it doesn't come even close to the endless copypasta dungeons, lovely enemy wave combat, fucktoy characters and probably some other things I suppressed in my memories already.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMcVZQI6ybw&hd=1

vvv except playing the third part of a trilogy :suicide: what a dumb thing to say...

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 20, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I played DA2 more recently than ME3. It's a lot worse, but my point wasn't that they were equally bad and I never said anything like that. My point was that you can skip them both and miss nothing.

If ME3 is a 6/10, DA2 is like a 2.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's a pretty safe bet to not buy any Bioware games anymore in general. ME2 was their last good game and its not like there's a lack of quality WRPGs anymore like there were when Bioware was popular.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

vvv except playing the third part of a trilogy :suicide: what a dumb thing to say...

Game series can have bad sequels, that doesn't mean you have to play them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Game series can have bad sequels, that doesn't mean you have to play them.

Yeah, but its like reading a book series, no matter how bad it gets once you start most people really want to see the story to its completion. The GRRM thread is full of people who hate him and his books, but the day Winds of Winter comes out 99% of them will buy it at midnight to read it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
ME3 is a fine game.

Just pause it and quit as soon as Shepard and Anderson are together, and Anderson says "We did it, huh." and Shepard replies with "Yup."

Bam, great game, sad they never added an ending cinematic though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rookersh posted:

ME3 is a fine game.

Just pause it and quit as soon as Shepard and Anderson are together, and Anderson says "We did it, huh." and Shepard replies with "Yup."

And then end the game with Citadel dlc.

Citadel is a great closer to the series.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rookersh posted:

ME3 is a fine game.

Bam, great game, sad they never added an ending cinematic though.

Just add this after that scene and it will be hundred percent better.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

pentyne posted:

Yeah, but its like reading a book series, no matter how bad it gets once you start most people really want to see the story to its completion.
I kinda wonder if this sort of terribleness works across the board? Like do most people sit and watch football or baseball or movies in the theater even when they've just turned into runny dumps? If the baseball players just all decided to lie on the field and flop around like fishes for an hour would people just be like 'I NEED TO SEE THE END'? I feel like no, but I also feel like most people don't actually complete games according to statistics so I sort of wonder why sequels are such a big deal in the industry.

Do people play the first half of ME2 and go 'ok I need to see the start of this game even though I didn't bother to finish the last one' or something?

edit: I know I'm being silly but I legitimately can't reconcile the two facts. I know statistically sequels sell better. I know statistically people don't finish games. How the gently caress do these two figures team up and make any loving sense?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Drifter posted:

And then end the game with Citadel dlc.

Citadel is a great closer to the series.

Yeah, I mean ending on that point ends the series with Shepard and Anderson sacrificed their lives to turn on the Conduit, but the Reapers got hosed, and the galaxy was saved.

Then in Shepard's dying moments the Citadel DLC happens.

It isn't mentioned that the Conduit does nothing/Space Child until Shepard goes and meets the Space Kid. If you end it right as Anderson goes unconscious and assume Shepard does as well, you get a thematically consistent ending to the game. I forced my friend to end their game like that, then go through it again a second time to see the real end, and they were so happy I made them do that as to them ME3 ended with a heroic sacrifice.

Fantastic ending I just wrote.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

If the baseball players just all decided to lie on the field and flop around like fishes for an hour would people just be like 'I NEED TO SEE THE END'?

This is pretty much the last three seasons of "Dexter," and I watched all that bullshit.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh, yeah. It would have been better if Belial's scheme wasn't so transparent, yeah. However, since I was able to figure it out easily, I was glad that my character also figured it out. It just pisses me off when I figure out a really transparent plot twist ages before it happens and the characters act like it was some big huge surprise, holy poo poo.

I just liked that Diablo 3 didn't pull that. It was just, "Yeah, I know who you are; time to kick your rear end."

All told, I preferred Torchlight 2 to Diablo 3 anyway but eh.

Ah ok, now I understand what you were saying, and I'm with you on that.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Spiderdrake posted:

Do people play the first half of ME2 and go 'ok I need to see the start of this game even though I didn't bother to finish the last one' or something?

Actually that happened to me. When my crew got caught in ME2, I just stopped playing the game and uninstalled :ragequit:

I ended up playing ME3 because the multiplayer was amazing. Learning the tips and tricks from MP made the singleplayer combat a lot more fun.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

PostNouveau posted:

This is pretty much the last three seasons of "Dexter," and I watched all that bullshit.

Why must you remind me of the worst thing I've watched in the last few years? :negative: But that's exactly how it is. I even knew beforehand it's going to be terrible but I felt like I wanted to watch it all just so I can reprimand everyone extremely harshly not to even start or end with the fourth or fifth season.

But Dexter¨s last few seasons are truly terrible unlike a certain third part of a trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

pentyne posted:

EA would still have to either remove the IAP from the horde mode or sell it through Steam, which doesn't seem likely

• Locked thread