Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

Quality of any part in particular? I bought the 10.5" from amazon, and I like it a lot. The biggest reason to get it is really the OLED screen. It feels a generation ahead of other tablets in that area. Plus, it is pretty light compared to other tablets, which is handy if you are holding it up to read things. I would probably suggest the titanium bronze version over the white, as the backing is a little softer and grippier.

It is basically a big version of a galaxy s5, if you'e ever held one of those.

I would suggest reading the anandtech review too. It is pretty accurate.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8197/samsung-galaxy-tab-s-review-105-84inch

I went and saw it in person today, and goddamn that screen is as beautiful as they say. Now just to decide between 8.4" and 10.5".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I am sure both are fine. Personally I like my 10.5", as the bigger size is nice for reading comics full-page. After getting it in my hands, I don't regret it at all. I can see the 8.4" being attractive is portability is a more major concern though. 8'ish inches does seem to be the current trend as to where tablets are going.

You said you currently have a tf101, which is 10.1" and 1.5 lbs. The 10.5" tab s is is 1 lb, so you are already pulling off half a pound. The 8.4" tab s is 0.64 pounds, putting it at less than half the weight of your tf101.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

I'm thinking about picking up one of the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 refurbs for $300. I went to Best Buy and compared it to the 10.5 S, and I'm not sure there is a big enough difference in quality to justify spending $200 extra. Can anyone who has one comment on the build quality and usability of the Note? I didn't like it as much as the 10.5 S, obviously, but it is very tempting because of the similar hardware and better price. The weird stitched back was sort of annoying, also.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Syle187 posted:

I'm thinking about picking up one of the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 refurbs for $300. I went to Best Buy and compared it to the 10.5 S, and I'm not sure there is a big enough difference in quality to justify spending $200 extra. Can anyone who has one comment on the build quality and usability of the Note? I didn't like it as much as the 10.5 S, obviously, but it is very tempting because of the similar hardware and better price. The weird stitched back was sort of annoying, also.

I got a note 10.1 2014 edition a little over a month ago, and I love it. I have it in a case so the back doesn't bother me. I was specifically looking for a tablet with handwriting capabilities, so the pen is a huge sell for me. You can link the default note app into Evernote and transfer your handwritten notes to type, then access them from wherever. Other than work related stuff (marking up pdfs with the pen mainly), I use it for watching video, reading comics, surfing the net, and playing robot unicorn attack 2. The screen is insanely gorgeous, reading comics on it is incredible, and video looks great. the VLC beta app runs well on it too, so I've had no problem with playback of any video types, including .mkv and .VOB files. I also use it to play music when I'm hanging out with people out back sometimes, and the speakers on it are pretty solid.

I don't know what you're looking to use it for, but I've been very satisfied. Full disclosure, it is my first tablet though. :shrug:

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Pinball posted:

I have a Nexus 7, and I have what's probably the stupidest question ever asked in this thread, which is: what do I do with it? Whenever I have the urge to read, I have a first gen Kindle that has the advantage of being readable in sunlight. When I'm out in the community, I have my phone, which has a data plan while the Nexus doesn't. When I want to watch Netflix or write, I use my netbook. My parents gave me the Nexus as a gift, and I want to use it, but I can't think of anything it does that another device doesn't also do better.

What I do with mine:

* Play PAD
* Play other games
* Surf the internet in bed
* Read the forums in bed
* Watch Youtube in bed

So lots of bed-related activities :v:

And I recently started using my phone as a mobile hotspot when I don't have Wifi available. It works rather well so I hardly ever use my phone itself for internet-related things any more if it would take longer than a few minutes. Internet is much nicer on my Nexus than on my phone.

I probably should mention that I also have a Kindle PW and a netbook. The netbook is currently gathering dust because it's rather slow and old and - except for IRC when watching TV - inferior to my Nexus in every way. The Kindle is getting less use than it should because at noon I prefer to read a newspaper when I can get one, and instead of reading before I go to sleep I watch Youtube. (Mostly stuff by Sips, he has such a soothing voice :v: God I wish he would do 'story time with Sips' again. Ahem.)

Thermopyle posted:

My Nexus 7 sits unused for weeks at a time because of exactly this.

You're all crazy, it's the best thing ever.

Edit: oh yeah, I read comics too.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
My Nexus 7 LTE gets used for dumb tablet games when I'm home and mostly google maps when I travel. It's also nice to rent a movie from google play and pin it to the device for the plane rides.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

surc posted:

I got a note 10.1 2014 edition a little over a month ago, and I love it. I have it in a case so the back doesn't bother me. I was specifically looking for a tablet with handwriting capabilities, so the pen is a huge sell for me. You can link the default note app into Evernote and transfer your handwritten notes to type, then access them from wherever. Other than work related stuff (marking up pdfs with the pen mainly), I use it for watching video, reading comics, surfing the net, and playing robot unicorn attack 2. The screen is insanely gorgeous, reading comics on it is incredible, and video looks great. the VLC beta app runs well on it too, so I've had no problem with playback of any video types, including .mkv and .VOB files. I also use it to play music when I'm hanging out with people out back sometimes, and the speakers on it are pretty solid.

I don't know what you're looking to use it for, but I've been very satisfied. Full disclosure, it is my first tablet though. :shrug:

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure whether or not I would use it for the handwriting functionality. I am going back to school, but I'm not sure I want to completely commit to electronic notes or not. My main thought process regarding it is that the new Tab S doesn't seem like a big enough upgrade to justify spending the extra money, so I might as well get the Note and maybe the S Pen will be cool? :shrug: I've used both the Nexus 10 and an iPad Air, and they both do everything I would want. I guess my only concern would be battery life and charging time on the Note. Getting 10 hours on the iPad was really nice, I just couldn't stand the 4:3 aspect ratio.

revolther
May 27, 2008
For actual serious academic note taking, a tablet/stylus is likely going to have some frustrating aspect any way you go. I'd recommend one of those smart pens that link to evernote and an accompanying 3 subject notebook.

poo poo is seriously impressive, having all of your notes on the cloud, perfectly captured, and you click on a piece of text it plays the audio recorded as you were writing along to some boring lecture.

The only downside is evernotes storage limitations/pricing scheme.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Wrong thread.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 17, 2014

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

revolther posted:

For actual serious academic note taking, a tablet/stylus is likely going to have some frustrating aspect any way you go. I'd recommend one of those smart pens that link to evernote and an accompanying 3 subject notebook.

poo poo is seriously impressive, having all of your notes on the cloud, perfectly captured, and you click on a piece of text it plays the audio recorded as you were writing along to some boring lecture.

The only downside is evernotes storage limitations/pricing scheme.

I'll look into that if I decide to try electronic notes. I'm not sure I have the money to throw at it right now though. It does seem like that might work better though, if I decided to go that route.

Whether or not I actually use the S Pen, I think I'm going to go with the Galaxy Note. As much as I would like to, I can't justify the extra money for a nicer screen on the Tab S, when the hardware is otherwise similar. I do hope that it will eventually get an update to Android L, that is my only real concern at the moment.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011
Does anyone know I can get good Micro USB cables for charging like 1.3-2 amp. I live in the UK.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
http://videocardz.com/51059/nvidia-extends-shield-family-shield-tablet-wireless-controller

This is my next tablet.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

DX12 support is appealing.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

That actually seems pretty neat. Price isn't terrible either.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Isn't this what that Nexus 8.9 is supposed to have in it?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JoeMB posted:

Does anyone know I can get good Micro USB cables for charging like 1.3-2 amp. I live in the UK.
These are good:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/PortaPow-Charging-Micro-USB-Cable/dp/B0088HTYUE/
Note that they won't do data, just power.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

I was concerned after I bought my Shield and they announced they'd be making a new one, but I actually really like the clamshell form factor so this isn't appealing at all. Game streaming is awesome though, hopefully it finds its way into more mobile devices.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Athenry posted:

Isn't this what that Nexus 8.9 is supposed to have in it?

It's the rumored size (8.9), it's got about the rumored screen 1200p, it has what looks like HTC forward facing speakers, it has the K1 and 2 gig of RAM. So yeah that looks pretty much exactly like the Nexus 8.9 that was rumored to launch at $400 for 32gig this is $300 for 16gig and $400 for 32gig + LTE.

The only thing that I don't like is the 16x10 screen, personally I'm a fan of the 4x3 + physical screen rotation lock the ipads have used as I think its much more useful in both orientations for web browsing but this looks really great.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011

Stick100 posted:

It's the rumored size (8.9), it's got about the rumored screen 1200p, it has what looks like HTC forward facing speakers, it has the K1 and 2 gig of RAM. So yeah that looks pretty much exactly like the Nexus 8.9 that was rumored to launch at $400 for 32gig this is $300 for 16gig and $400 for 32gig + LTE.

The only thing that I don't like is the 16x10 screen, personally I'm a fan of the 4x3 + physical screen rotation lock the ipads have used as I think its much more useful in both orientations for web browsing but this looks really great.

Xiaomi Mi Pad is basically an Android iPad mini retina. Same 8" 4:3 2048x1536 screen, tegra k1, and unfortunately some goofy iOS looking skin.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You probably have that weird sdcard trim problem. The best option is to reflash the entire factory image using adb. If you have a Mac or Linux its easy. Windows is a bit harder due to needing to sort out the drivers.

In this thread within the last few pages ors explained numerous times.

Did this, worked fine for almost a week then started locking up again. Tried reflashing again but this time with a factory image from before mine started screwing up and its only lasted a day before going bad.

Safe to say my tablet is dead now?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bigsteve posted:

Did this, worked fine for almost a week then started locking up again. Tried reflashing again but this time with a factory image from before mine started screwing up and its only lasted a day before going bad.
Yeah this isn't trim, that causes poor performance but not complete lock ups. It's probably a hardware issue, yeah.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
Came here to post the specs for the new Tegra K1 tablet but it looks like you guys are already all over it. I have been holding out for a nexus 8 but from what I can tell this is everything I was wanting from that and then a bit more. Micro USB is a big plus for me. What I read said an 8" screen, but is is 8.9"? Also has there been any confirmation if of which version of the OS it will run? Finally, anyone find a place to pre-order yet?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Nvidea K1 tablet vs Ipad screen comparison.

http://www.displaywars.com/9,7-inch-4x3-vs-8,9-inch-16x10

Also it looks like (from what I can see) the K1 seems to be running near bone stock Android w/ a couple extra apps. I love this approach (the Moto approach).

This tablet may well be the Nexus 8.9 we've been waiting for and supposedly it's on sale in 8 days.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This tablets main purpose is for gaming, but all of this relies super heavily on games being available on a streaming service, right?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Wondering if I shouldn't have pulled the trigger on the refurb 32gb N7 that is arriving today. Although my primary use for it will be in my car and could be convinced down the road to replace my iPad air with this bad boy if it's as good as it pans out.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

I said come in! posted:

This tablets main purpose is for gaming, but all of this relies super heavily on games being available on a streaming service, right?

Its main purpose is as a tablet. Secondly it has capabilities about equivalent to an Xbox 360 on board so it can play most every game directly (keep in mind titanfall gta5 and the new Wolfenstien were released for 360) if they are rebuilt for Android. Also it has game stream so if you have a non laptop Nvidea card from the last couple years or a laptop card from the last two it can stream to the tablet.

It can game without a streaming service.

All that given still not very useful as a game playing device because you have to buy an external controller and then use an odd tablet screen.

I'm really excited for a K1 android TV esp. If it has game stream. I bet game stream will work really well on a wired network.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 21, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I find it hard to get excited for Nvidia's version of game stream when Steam's beta version already works really well and works on a wider range of PC hardware. Eventually, Steam's android app will more than likely be updated to include streaming.

K1 may be a a very competent gaming chip, but gently caress having to buy tegra specific versions of games that will only work on this hardware that we have no idea if nvidia is going to support long term.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If I can stream games from steam, it might be worth getting. Though I can't really think of anything I play that uses a controller.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I play lots of PC games and zero mobile games, so you'd think I'd be really interested in this thing.

However, my feelings on it are expressed pretty well by bull3964. Nvidia doesn't really fill me with confidence when it comes to Android, and I'd really just love Valve to get streaming into it's Android Steam client.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stick100 posted:

Secondly it has capabilities about equivalent to an Xbox 360 on board so it can play most every game directly (keep in mind titanfall gta5 and the new Wolfenstien were released for 360) if they are rebuilt for Android.

This isn't going to happen. Don't buy a tablet in the hopes that this is going to happen, that is a really bad idea.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm guessing console emulation for Android will take a huge leap forward with this new hardware

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

I said come in! posted:

This isn't going to happen. Don't buy a tablet in the hopes that this is going to happen, that is a really bad idea.

I didn't mean to oversell this at all. However I'm personally excited by K1 in an Android TV with packaged in game controller as it will finally open up a great development platform/ecosystem without a gate keeper. An A8 Apple TV with packaged in game controller would also accomplish the same thing.

OUYA need not apply it was bad hardware from a bad company among the million other reasons for being junk.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stick100 posted:

I didn't mean to oversell this at all. However I'm personally excited by K1 in an Android TV with packaged in game controller as it will finally open up a great development platform/ecosystem without a gate keeper. An A8 Apple TV with packaged in game controller would also accomplish the same thing.

OUYA need not apply it was bad hardware from a bad company among the million other reasons for being junk.

That is all true yeah. Nvidia is in a much better position to make a system like this, where Ouya was a scam.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I said come in! posted:

... where Ouya was a scam.
How was Ouya a scam?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I'm still hovering over the Galaxy note 10.1 2014 but I have a couple of major reservations.

1. It's 8 months old already. The processor is quite old now and Samsung don't tend to keep pushing updates to their tablets for very often. It's 600 bux here, which feels like a lot to be paying for outdated hardware.

2. Given that it's 8 months old I can't help wondering if they're going to be releasing a refresh around the time the Note 4 comes out.

3. The screen on the Tab S 10.5 is really gorgeous. I want that, but I really want to sit on the couch with my dogs and paint stuff.

Anyone got any thoughts? I feel like I should keep waiting but I've been waiting since I sold my Nexus 7 in Jan and nothing better has come out.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
http://anandtech.com/show/8275/nvidia-launches-shield-tablet

The shield tablet is official. I want one but I feel like they should have included both controller and the flip case in the $300 price. I'm sure they'll come out with a bundle later because I can't imagine it actually selling well at its current price point.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lostleaf posted:

The shield tablet is official. I want one but I feel like they should have included both controller and the flip case in the $300 price. I'm sure they'll come out with a bundle later because I can't imagine it actually selling well at its current price point.

Need to know about battery life.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

lostleaf posted:

Galaxy Tab S 8.4 is $100 more expensive. The price doesn't see out of line to me. A new flagship 8" tablet that will probably have the best 3d graphics capability out there? Stylus, micro SD, HDMI out. I think it is pretty well priced.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Need to know about battery life.

Only thing that has prevented me from ordering. Tegra 4 tablets have pretty crappy battery life from what I have seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Does it have a digitizer? Or does it just come with a pointless capacitive stylus?