Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ijyt posted:

They were wiped out by the Lapdog Minotaurs chapter, right?

They survived the Minotaurs, went on a penitent crusade that ended up in the teeth of hive fleet Kraken and haven't been heard from since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

I think Orks take the cake with the new mob rule. I've taken to just shouting out pinning orders to my 10 man squads and then watching the ork player curl down and cry as he faces 4+ pinning tests per turn.

ijyt posted:

They were wiped out by the Lapdog Minotaurs chapter, right?

Having now played a number of games with the ork codex I have few complaints.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

SRM posted:

Fall of Malvolion, by Dan Abnett. It rules, and it's about the Lamenters, the saddest chapter.

Yep, I've got a full drop pod + air support Lamenters army with that as the theme. Really good piece of fluff.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
So I'm really looking forward to next week... I've arranged to run an Epic Armageddon demo night at my club with some short training missions, followed by a combined 2v2 team game. Now I'm hurriedly glueing together a bunch of Orks I picked up ages ago from ebay auctions. Might even find time to paint some too...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cataphract posted:

Having now played a number of games with the ork codex I have few complaints.

Care to share them in an effort for other players to discover work a rounds?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JerryLee posted:

These two facts are very likely related, FYI.

GW divide their stock 3 ways. Web, Retail and Trade. If they did not do this, their stores would not have had any to sell on launch day considering the web sold out in a few hours.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The new mob rule seems to me like an attempt to make the old mob rule less binary. When your squad is above 10, it's a huge nerf, but when you've got smaller squads they have a better chance of sticking around. For stuff like trukkbound hard boyz and meganobz, it seems like an improvement to me.

I don't think the bosspole needed a nerf, but I haven't played any games with it yet. Which armies are the worst for inflicting morale checks these days? I know sniper weapons don't pin anymore, so it seems like the opponent's got to tank shock you a lot to really get the most out of it. Which, loath as I am to admit it, does forge a pretty bitchin' narrative that strongly incentivizes ramming your vehicles into squads of orks. Conceptually, I can get behind that.

I always had a really 'counter-kultur' ork army with tankbustas and flash gitz, buggies and stormboyz in the old codex, so I'm starting to feel optimistic after looking at the 7th rules and putting some lists together. Tankbustas are amazing for their points now, and I have a feeling my squad of TB's in the volkswagen are going to have a pretty decent edition.

Speaking of bustas, how are people feeling about tankhammers now? They went from a free replacement S10 weapon that hits at initiative to just being a lovely powerklaw with the stats of a rokkit for an extra 15 points. Considering you're also paying 5 points for the inevitable bomb squig, that's getting pretty dang pricey for an unwieldy weapon on a T4 6+ 1W body. For the price of my two tankhammer guys with squigs, I could get a mek with a kustom mega blasta and a killsaw, and have enough left over for a grot oiler. That seems much more cost-effective to me.

But I also like these tank hammer models :[

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The problem is that Orks are supposed to be in massive hordes that swarm your opponent in a sea of bodies. Then again maybe the solution is to embrace that the horde is dead and use a massive number of ten man squads. It's not like the FOC matters any more.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah gently caress it man, let's just MSU. I've already assembled a second 12-man hardboyz squad out of my old nobz and flash gitz [black orcs converted], and am looking for a decent 3rd-party trukk model. Hard boyz just seem like a better investment to me for mechanized lists now.

Actually, if anyone has any good ideas for a cheap trukk, I don't feel like fully converting this one by hand. I've done enough vehicle work, especially with that mek stompa looming on the horizon...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I think MSU footsloggers combined with that Meganob formation in battlewagons backed up by lootas could be effective. Maybe with some cheap storm boyz for extra assault options.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Had a great Maelstrom game against an all-foot Astra Militarum army using my Salamanders/Militarum Tempestus list I posted a while ago.

Highlights included Vulkan and the Sterngaurd unit dropping in at the bottom of the first turn directly in from of the 50-man blob and roasting 26 of them, including the full Warlord Command Squad. They then went on to all get murdered in retaliation over the next two turns, including Vulkan falling to a standard flamer wound, despite having a re-rollable 2+ save. :negative: The remainder of the game was a hard-fought game of forcing each other off objectives. A single 20-man AM unit including a Priest and a Psyker (7-strong by the time they charged) assaulted my full MT Command Squad and proceeded to hold them and a nearby Space Marine Tactical unit in close combat for three full turns.

Here's a shot at the bottom of the first turn of most of the table. The remaining bit that's off the shot wasn't really used as all objects lay on the side shown (the downed Land Speeders were some of the markers for this).

In the end I managed to get a sizeable victory due to strong Tactical card pulls and better positioning. At the end of turn 6 it was 12-7.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

serious gaylord posted:

GW divide their stock 3 ways. Web, Retail and Trade. If they did not do this, their stores would not have had any to sell on launch day considering the web sold out in a few hours.

Yeah but you're implying they split the stock web-retail-trade as 1-1-1, when in truth it's more like 1.45/1.45/0.1

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

The new mob rule seems to me like an attempt to make the old mob rule less binary. When your squad is above 10, it's a huge nerf, but when you've got smaller squads they have a better chance of sticking around. For stuff like trukkbound hard boyz and meganobz, it seems like an improvement to me.

Yeah, if the unit has armour the mob rule is not too much of a kick in the teeth. This is especially true because it will be more difficult to kill 25% of a unit with armour, such as MANz. But for lootas, who will not often have an IC, or any unit with a 6+ save it is silly. Fearless wounds used to be annoying and that took place in CC (which is where you wanted to be).

Given how easy it is to kill 6+ save models and that these models are then punished again (7+ leadership is going to fail fairly regularly) the rule is bad. You could fix the problems for units like MANz in the last codex but you cannot fix this problem.

Ignite Memories posted:

Speaking of bustas, how are people feeling about tankhammers now?

Tankhammers are bad. I took them when they were free but you are now paying the price of another tankbuster for the privilege of using them. You will spend much more time shooting Rokkits than in assault.

10+ Tankbustas in a Wagon is one of my favourite units from the last codex. Tankbustas are cheaper and better now. I think you want to keep them embarked and shooting at poo poo.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

AbusePuppy posted:

They function exactly like they would if you bought them all as one gigantic squad, so they must all shoot at a single target. They can potentially charge more than one target using the normal multiassault rules, but that can be difficult to achieve. It's the big limiter on the formation- getting to Waaaagh ever turn is nice, but having those 700+pts tied up into a single unit is often very limiting.

Oh man, that really sucks. Oh well.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
I guess there are some new shots on the Dimachaeron. Its apparently a MC.

It looks a bit better. That cowl still looks way too long.
E:More

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 20, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
That looks better, also didn't realize it was that big. Also why couldn't have GW started off as a 15 to 20mm instead of 28mm ugh. I know 28mm looks better and has more detail but still!!

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 20, 2014

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Hencoe posted:

I guess there are some new shots on the Dimachaeron.

It looks a bit better. That cowl still looks way too long.

From Dakka:

quote:

WS 8
BS 3
S 6
T 6
W 6
I 6
A 5
LD 10
Sv 3+

Its a MC (Leaper)

Weapons & Biomorphs are
Sickle Claws
Grasping Talons
Thorax Spine Maw
Adrenal Glands

Special Rules
IB: Feed
Rampage

Leaper is kind of like a Jump Pack for it except it only 6" all the time, but it can jump over things which is handy.
If you DON'T use it in the Movement phase, you get +1s to your HOW and the HOW gains Strikedown.

Grasping Talons: +1S AP2 Melee with Spine Maw Strike

Spinemaw Strike: If you roll at least one 6 to hit, you get to make a Spine Maw Attack at Intiative step 1

Spine Maw Attack: Makes ONE attack that Auto Hits. May Target any Enemy Model that isn't Extremely Bulky. Only one of these Attacks may be made by this model in each phase.

The One attack it does is at +4S AP1 Instant Death and "Digestion Spine"

Digestion Spine: When a Spine Maw removes a model, the Dimachaeron gains a number of "Plasm Tokens" Equal to the number of wounds on the profile of the model removed. At the end of each of its following Turns, The Controlling player removes one token. Whilst it has a Token remaining, it gets FNP (4+)

Sickle Claws: Strength- User AP2 Melee Sickle Strike

Sickle Strike: On a roll of a 4+ to wound, an attack inflicted by a Sickle Claw has the Instant Death Rule !

200 Points
Fast Attack

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah but you're implying they split the stock web-retail-trade as 1-1-1, when in truth it's more like 1.45/1.45/0.1

They split it 1/1/1. Theres just far more independents than direct retail shops. You can believe what you want however.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Dark Angels, Orks, and Tyranids all wear goth clothes and smoke cigarettes behind the school. They are the sad club.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

serious gaylord posted:

They split it 1/1/1. Theres just far more independents than direct retail shops. You can believe what you want however.

Pretty sure it's 1 to 1 here, so I'm going to go with the local independents who complain about getting no stock. On the other hand nobody buys it here anymore, so maybe they just don;t ship stock to the country full stop?

So is this thing a new titan, or just a giant walker?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 20, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NTRabbit posted:

Pretty sure it's 1 to 1 here, so I'm going to go with the local independents who complain about getting no stock

Theres many reasons a store wouldn't get any stock. Ordering late, poor payment meaning their orders are of less importance or indeed, they simply don't want that store to stock their products anymore.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

xtothez posted:

From Dakka:

So it's only gonna move 6"? Yeah I doubt it'll get into CC before getting shot to poo poo.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

serious gaylord posted:

Theres many reasons a store wouldn't get any stock. Ordering late, poor payment meaning their orders are of less importance or indeed, they simply don't want that store to stock their products anymore.

No, the reason is GW witheld stock for their own stores, plain and simple.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NTRabbit posted:

Well yes, because the stock will have been allocated to Trade, Retail and their website. All of the stock allocated to Trade has been sold, hence why independents cant get any more.

I literally said this in my first post on it. As to stores being unable to get any in the first instance, re read the post you just quoted.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Do you actually know this or are you not considering the fact there's probably 30 independent retailers to every 1 of GW's? And is it really so hard to believe that a company would have a vested interest in supplying their own first-party retailers adequately before sending like 4 to some random store in the sticks that will sit on the stock?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Do you actually know this or are you not considering the fact there's probably 30 independent retailers to every 1 of GW's? And is it really so hard to believe that a company would have a vested interest in supplying their own first-party retailers adequately before sending like 4 to some random store in the sticks that will sit on the stock?

They wouldnt reserve them for their own stores anyway. If they were going to steal stock from trade, it would go direct to their website as they make the most money and reach the most customers that way. Next comes trade, as the stock is sold at the point a shop buys it. 3rd is their retail arm, which costs them more due to the overhead of the shop/staff and it wont be sold until someone walks in and buys it.

From a GW point of view, it would be far better for them to have it on their website, which has been sold out for a week.

And since only 10 stores in the entire uk received more than 1 of those stormclaw boxes, I'm not sure where the 'they had loads' has come from too.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

xtothez posted:

From Dakka:

You run with fleet. If it moves as a Jet Pack unit in the movement phase, it only moves 6" as opposed to 12". It's a solid unit.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Yeah this thing is the size of a Knight but only has 6" movement, and they forgot to give it Fearless like all other Nid MCs. Way to maintain your reputation, Forge World.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
What base is that new Nid on? It looks big, but also looks circular.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

You run with fleet. If it moves as a Jet Pack unit in the movement phase, it only moves 6" as opposed to 12". It's a solid unit.

xtothez posted:

Yeah this thing is the size of a Knight but only has 6" movement, and they forgot to give it Fearless like all other Nid MCs. Way to maintain your reputation, Forge World.

Surprise! It's garbage!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it's 200 points for a 6w chassis that gets 4+ fnp and has like 7 different methods of dealing ID wounds, screen it with a venomthrope and enjoy destroying a unit in a single turn

edit: don't actually enjoy it because apparently tyranid players are the most bitter humans imaginable about their middle-of-the-pack codex

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 20, 2014

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
I6, 7 attacks on the charge +rampage, and nid melee swings still stack yes? i.e bonesword rending claws for rending ID. It hits as S8 when charging
If it ever gets there its going to gently caress something up.
Use a lot of LoS terrain :v:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

it's 200 points for a 6w chassis that gets 4+ fnp and has like 7 different methods of dealing ID wounds, screen it with a venomthrope and enjoy destroying a unit in a single turn

edit: don't actually enjoy it because apparently tyranid players are the most bitter humans imaginable about their middle-of-the-pack codex

200pts for something that isn't Fearless and moves 6" a turn, and is the size of a goddamn Knight. It will get shot to hell before it ever makes it into combat.

Edit: Also the model looks stupid.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Fearless will almost certainly be errata'd in. Also, why only 6" a turn? Can't it run?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It also has to kill something by rolling a 6 on its grasping talons attack to get that 4+ FNP so you can't exactly rely on it

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Lungboy posted:

Fearless will almost certainly be errata'd in. Also, why only 6" a turn? Can't it run?

Yes, it can.

Swagger Dagger posted:

It also has to kill something by rolling a 6 on its grasping talons attack to get that 4+ FNP so you can't exactly rely on it

It will average 9 attacks on the charge. It's not exactly unreliable either.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Running means it won't assault, and there's always the chance of rolling a 1 and just scooting rather than making any real ground. If this thing could move 12" like a Knight or Maulerfiend I guarantee every 'nid player would take this, ugly model or no.

Also it doesn't have assault grenades! So that I6 is wasted if you're attacking anything in cover (which is very likely).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

The Dark Angels, Orks, and Tyranids all wear goth clothes and smoke cigarettes behind the school. They are the sad club.

At least that's thematic for Dark Angels. :unsmith:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Slimnoid posted:

Running means it won't assault, and there's always the chance of rolling a 1 and just scooting rather than making any real ground. If this thing could move 12" like a Knight or Maulerfiend I guarantee every 'nid player would take this, ugly model or no.

Also it doesn't have assault grenades! So that I6 is wasted if you're attacking anything in cover (which is very likely).

It ignores terrain while leaping, why would it need assault grenades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Just played my first round of Kill Team using GW's rules; the first game was my orks against DE and we accidentally played in squads anyways (which is the only way to do orks if you plan to assault things). I hate not being able to call a WAAAGH! because of the mandated-absent warboss, but eh. Da boyz wiped them out on the hill, largely because we forgot the DE Combat Drugs thing. I had a Burna Trukk awaiting in the back-field that never saw action, either.

Second game was objectives vs. my friend's IG with lots of Ratling Snipers, all carapace armor, all night fighting, all the time. I am absolutely not looking forward to playing my buddy's IG in a real game, especially since upon reading my codex he reminded me that he has orders that simply give a unit's weapons pinning. :gonk: The highlight was when, after staving off 6 or more shooting attacks with his armor or cover saves, the rat finally got assaulted by a lone ork boy--and, going first, stabbed him directly in his gaping maw. He got a stripe for that one.

The wife ran a couple of games of her DE Wytch squad in a Raider against our friend's 3 Crisis Suits and 12 Fire Warriors. Game 1, he blasted the raider and the explosion killed 7/10, so it was an instant wash. Game 2, hoo fukken boy: assault happened, and the blue duders folded like a house of cards. It's what they get for not knowin' 'ow ta fight proppa. :orks:

Thirding all the Tankhammer hate, too--in the event you're even in assault, why wouldn't you just use Tankbusta Bombs?

I've sort of stopped building lists in the traditional way, favoring the enormous hordes (after one of you goons talked about frantically trying to avoid it) led by a Warboss with the special Boss Pole that gives the whole lot Fearless. That's sort of become my standard, but it's weird not automatically putting the Warboss in mega armor because then the whole bunch of assholes wouldn't be able to run. I don't like the wording that gives any units of 10+ models within the formation HoW, even though the formation acts as a single unit; I guess only whole 10-man boy squads get it? This will never happen, pretty much, unless it really affords the whole formation HoW.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 20, 2014

• Locked thread