Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's kind of weird that as far as I remember the female monsters have fully modeled genitals but the male monsters don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Do they? I mean maybe the placement of those lights on the breasts are pretty suspect, but I don't see a intricately modeled vagina.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I really like Simpsons: Tapped Out. The myriad of tasks makes for a dynamic play style ("I'm going to bed, set everything for an 8-hour task"), I have more of a connection to it because it's the Simpsons, and it's quite playable without paying. Two things drag it down:

- Instability. I'm not sure why, but after the Easter event (I think) the game became really unstable. The screen will stop registering touches, the animation/sound will stutter, and it'll either crash or eventually catch up with all the touching I've done. It'll crash elsewhere often too.

- Pay Only Annoyances. Don't get me wrong, they've put a lot of drat good stuff in the game, and it's perfectly playable and enjoyable without spending a dime. That said, it's not possible to accrue enough donuts (the currency) to buy any of the iconic stuff, and the prices of the iconic stuff is pretty high.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Do they? I mean maybe the placement of those lights on the breasts are pretty suspect, but I don't see a intricately modeled vagina.

Even if they did, it wouldn't really be that unusual or the first game to do the "lovingly render female sexual characteristics but downplay the male ones because that would be GAY." And probably also because visible dongs tend to set off the censors really loving fast.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Kimmalah posted:

Even if they did, it wouldn't really be that unusual or the first game to do the "lovingly render female sexual characteristics but downplay the male ones because that would be GAY." And probably also because visible dongs tend to set off the censors really loving fast.

Breasts are secondary sexual characteristics, genitals aren't.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I don't think he said they were? :confused:

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Kimmalah posted:

Counterpoint: Lucifer in Dante's Inferno. :nws: of course

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

And I didn't draw that distinction in my post so why are you bringing it up? But I guess if you're going to get so pedantic about it, I wasn't talking about breasts in my post so it's not exactly relevant. I mean apparently nobody minded that previously posted character with the really detailed cameltoe but I guess it's OK since she's technically clothed (in shrinkwrap).

I was just saying it really isn't that weird for female characters to be weirdly detailed in a sexual way but their male counterparts aren't for...reasons. Because a poster earlier seemed to think it was weird.

Doctor Bishop posted:

Good catch, but I still say it's pretty drat rare. Also I (and probably everyone else) never played the game long enough to see him. :v:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Fifteen of Many posted:

I'm at the very end of Dust: An Elysian Tail and I feel like the game has really ground to a halt since the "go get items from four houses all spread across this map" section. It wasn't bad on its own, but the areas since seem like enemy hp/damage has scaled much faster than my own, and the maps (which seem to have ballooned in size) are just carpeted with enemies, making getting for point a to point b a real pain in the rear end. I've actually made it to the final boss but may not finish the game: I don't have many healing items and may be a little under leveled since I started just skipping as much combat as I could when it got more and more tedious, and I really don't feel like grinding out levels or gold to kill one more guy. Otherwise it has been a fun game!

Spamming aerial dust storm and the regular magic attack can actually help you soak up a fair bit of XP while you're getting from place to place fairly quickly. It's still tedious but beats the hell out of actually fighting the mobs in most areas. With the right amulet and rings it's also possible to keep leveling regularly right up to the end. I think I beat it (on Tough) at like level 40 or something and I never did any grinding at all.

Doctor Bishop posted:

would.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The God of War series kept trying to get dicks on the male monsters and Titans (Kronos in particular was supposed to have his tallywhacker showing), but they weren't allowed to.

kazil posted:

It'd be a pretty sparse game if it only included civilizations that were around for the entire span of actual civilization.

Yeah, but it's like, if you have the German 'civ', then it's not just the Kaiserreich 1871-1918, it's also the Germania tribes, the Holy Roman Empire, the Teutonic Knights, Prussia, the German Confederation, or the GDR.

But Brazil is just Brazil (and Venice is just Venice, America is just America, and the HRE is just the HRE, not specifically ragging on Brazil here). The specific civs seem out of place in a game about the grand sweep of human history.

But like I said, I know it's a petty complaint; more of "mildly irritating" than "URG THIS GAME IS poo poo".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, but it's like, if you have the German 'civ', then it's not just the Kaiserreich 1871-1918, it's also the Germania tribes, the Holy Roman Empire, the Teutonic Knights, Prussia, the German Confederation, or the GDR.

But Brazil is just Brazil (and Venice is just Venice, America is just America, and the HRE is just the HRE, not specifically ragging on Brazil here). The specific civs seem out of place in a game about the grand sweep of human history.

But like I said, I know it's a petty complaint; more of "mildly irritating" than "URG THIS GAME IS poo poo".

But there were people in Brazil having a civilisation every year there were people in the region we would call Germany today, so what's the difference?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

SiKboy posted:

But there were people in Brazil having a civilisation every year there were people in the region we would call Germany today, so what's the difference?

They weren't white?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SiKboy posted:

Not really. People reached northern Europe almost a hundred thousand years before they reached Brazil. But complaining about this in a game as broadly abstracted as Civilization is just silly.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Sorta :nws: http://i.imgur.com/yWuHtda.jpg

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Throw three more vaginas on that thing and it's a solid silent hill monster.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Random Stranger posted:

Not really. People reached northern Europe almost a hundred thousand years before they reached Brazil. But complaining about this in a game as broadly abstracted as Civilization is just silly.

Okay, maybe I should have stated "for pretty much all the time that the peoples you named existed in Germany", but the point stands. Especially in a game that is a giant what-if machine, where a landlocked Japan can wipe out their english neighbour following the unexpected betrayal of England by their ally, the tiny island nation of india in 27BC its bizarre to complain that you shouldn't be able to be Brazilian in the game because...

Edit; for clarity, the "you" in my reply is the original poster I was replying to, not random stranger who was basically agreeing its an odd objection while correcting me on a technicality.

SiKboy has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Jul 21, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Random Stranger posted:

Civilization games only span like 7000 years and the early stuff is hugely glossed over.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Throw three more vaginas on that thing and it's a solid silent hill monster.

The sexual monster symbolism starts to get old after awhile though.
You can only throw a vagina faced monster at me so many times before the shock wears off.
And at times - it just gets silly and you end up fighting a giant penis in a shopping mall.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Doctor Bishop posted:

Also, The Lost and The Damned's Congressman Stubbs :nws:

Pretty sure Rockstar got around that because Lost and The Damned counted as DLC.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

Pretty sure Rockstar got around that because Lost and The Damned counted as DLC.

GTA5 you see the tip of Trevor's dick when he shows it off to his henchman's cousin and he bends down to pull his pants back up. Also I swore there was a time I ran across a guy trying to rape a woman and he was full on bottomless, willy dangling in the breeze and flopping about when I popped him in the head. I actually stopped, looked down and yep, that was a penis alright.

Does the playerbase of a game count? Though this isn't like "I played dota and was called a human being", but a feature that was put into ff14 that in theory would help the lower leveled players but mostly its just high level players wanting to get their rewards and pissing all over the lower leveled players. There is a system where players at level 50 can be put in a roulette and join a random dungeon that other players are queuing for. The idea is that people who know how dungeons work will be able to help the lower leveled players, but in reality are higher leveled players who wont explain anything and just want to speedrun the dungeon for their reward at the end. Doesn't really help lower leveled players and makes the higher leveled players even more toxic smug elitists.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

This was also quite funny joke with the age restrictions and ratings-system. The game warns you about "full frontal nudity", in a game series famous with sex-related scandals and constant themes revolving around sex workers. The only "full frontal" the game gives is a 50 yo. out-of-shape politician in a steam room.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Leal posted:

GTA5 you see the tip of Trevor's dick when he shows it off to his henchman's cousin and he bends down to pull his pants back up. Also I swore there was a time I ran across a guy trying to rape a woman and he was full on bottomless, willy dangling in the breeze and flopping about when I popped him in the head. I actually stopped, looked down and yep, that was a penis alright.

GTAV also had a whole camp full of nude survivalist cannibals up in one of the hills. It's the place Trevor can drop off hitchhikers to be murdered for some puny rewards.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I got Max Payne 3 for $5 a while back and finally gave it a spin. The first five to ten minutes was a "Max is sad and drinking" montage. The opening for the first stage was a "Max is sad and drinking" montage. Then I went through some bad, sluggish combat, and was greeted with a "Max is sad and drinking" montage. All of this laced with enough awful political commentary to choke a canvasser.

I always knew MP3 was a mess, but this just takes my breath away. It's like everything bad about Rockstar condensed, under the skin of one of my favorite game series.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Oxxidation posted:

I got Max Payne 3 for $5 a while back and finally gave it a spin. The first five to ten minutes was a "Max is sad and drinking" montage. The opening for the first stage was a "Max is sad and drinking" montage. Then I went through some bad, sluggish combat, and was greeted with a "Max is sad and drinking" montage. All of this laced with enough awful political commentary to choke a canvasser.

I always knew MP3 was a mess, but this just takes my breath away. It's like everything bad about Rockstar condensed, under the skin of one of my favorite game series.

I don't know why but my computer can't go fifteen minutes into Max Payne 3 without hard crashing. I get the occasional lockup on some games but MP3 consistently kills my computer.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

No Such Thing posted:

whenever a game shows you a huge expansive map with a bunch of cool landmarks and even fleshes it out with bunch of lore that hints at awesome stuff going on there but the scope of the actual game is limited to elf forest and dwarf mountain it's a little frustrating.

Or when the game allows you to go there and the developers just made it into dwarf hill #2. See every elder scrolls game, dragon age.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Oxxidation posted:

It helped me to not think of it as a Max Payne game, it plays better as a spiritual successor to Mitchell.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, Max Payne 3 is a piece of poo poo. First, it's 30 Gigs. You need 30 gigs when you stuff you game full to the brim with cutscenes. And when you launch the game for the first time, before you can change any graphical settings from the lovely default ones, you get a lovely 10 minute cutscene. After that, you can set your graphics and start the game, where you get another 10 minute cutscene.

After getting through that poo poo, the combat felt really off. People say MP3 has amazing combat but I couldn't get into it and the other poo poo really put me off so gently caress that game.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Max Payne 3 is a bad game.

It plays like an awful Kane and Lynch knock-off.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I played all the way through Max Payne 3 a while ago but I honestly could not tell you anything about it. So distinctly unmemorable.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Action Tortoise posted:

I don't know why but my computer can't go fifteen minutes into Max Payne 3 without hard crashing. I get the occasional lockup on some games but MP3 consistently kills my computer.

It's taking a bullet for you.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Lord Lambeth posted:

I played all the way through Max Payne 3 a while ago but I honestly could not tell you anything about it. So distinctly unmemorable.

It is an utterly generic "shoot brown people" game in every way and is embarrassing compared to the first two games.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

spudsbuckley posted:

It is an utterly generic "shoot brown people" game in every way and is embarrassing compared to the first two games.

but all the max payne games are embarrassing trash?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Flectarn posted:

The first two were fun and technically impressive at the time but the "noir as written by people who have never actually watched noir" writing is pretty bad. It just came out during the time when gamers were clamoring for games to be mature and gritty and cinematic so they ate that poo poo up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Flectarn posted:

Haha man you really have something against that series, don't you.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Haha man you really have something against that series, don't you.

I like the games, but anyone who thinks the stories are worthy of more than an eye roll and mashing the space bar is crazy, pretending the story got bad in 3 is just weird to me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I kind of enjoy the parts of Muramasa Rebirth when you're killing enemies but so much of the game is just running around empty screens.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Max Payne was always a joke but I recall the flashback sequence of finding his infant in the crib made excellent use of the mechanics for a console game in the early 00s, with creepy sound and an ever-expanding hallway.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Doctor Bishop posted:

For a large demonic penis in a modern fictional work, that's pretty time.

I mean, we've all seen some gnarly poo poo, am I right? Right?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The first two were fun and technically impressive at the time but the "noir as written by people who have never actually watched noir" writing is pretty bad. It just came out during the time when gamers were clamoring for games to be mature and gritty and cinematic so they ate that poo poo up.

The writing was never anything great but at least it was better than Max Payne 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm feeling very justified atm in my decision to abandon MP3 halfway through the second level. It was critically acclaimed so I felt slightly embarrassed like it was my fault for disliking it. As you do.