Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Your uncle has been hiding a dark truth from you- he's secretly Canadian. I'm so sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

Your uncle has been hiding a dark truth from you- he's secretly Canadian. I'm so sorry.

It's much worse.

He's secretly French-Canadian. A Quebecker.

Sever.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Huntersoninski posted:

Thanks for the concern. As far as I know, my sugar pill week isn't technically a period because it's not really got anything to do with my reproductive cycle. It's not menstruation, its withdrawal bleeding as a response to the pill being stopped. It's not necessary and I skip it now and again because it's not actually a period.

I may discuss other options with my doctor down the road, but for now I would appreciate an answer to my grapefruit question, if anyone knows it.

Grapefruit can increase the absorption of the birth control by your body which can lead to acute overdose. I recall it was only certain brands of birth control and was still somewhat rare, but better safe than sorry.

To specifically answer your question, it is fine during the sugar week, since you aren't ingesting any medicine.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
My mom wants me to help set up a blog for her to document her recovery from back surgery, but she's not the most technically inclined person.

What's the best blog site for someone like her? Are there any that let you post from your iPad? I use blogspot for mine but I think even that's maybe over her head.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Huntersoninski posted:

I may discuss other options with my doctor down the road, but for now I would appreciate an answer to my grapefruit question, if anyone knows it.

Rather than asking a comedy forum for medical advice, it would appear that you have both a doctor and a pharmacist (who is also a doctor) that you are in regular contact with to ask this question. The pharmacist in particular would be a great place to start, since their education is pretty heavily based around drugs and interactions.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

RaoulDuke12 posted:

What's the best blog site for someone like her? Are there any that let you post from your iPad? I use blogspot for mine but I think even that's maybe over her head.

Tumblr seems to have a lot going for it including easy picture posting, which is usually the thing that gets messed up. And you can choose to disallow comments easily.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

pupdive posted:

Tumblr seems to have a lot going for it including easy picture posting, which is usually the thing that gets messed up. And you can choose to disallow comments easily.

For all the crap we give the Tumblr community, the tool itself is pretty good. If you don't need any serious blogging tools, it's probably the way to go.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Huntersoninski posted:

Thanks for the concern. As far as I know, my sugar pill week isn't technically a period because it's not really got anything to do with my reproductive cycle. It's not menstruation, its withdrawal bleeding as a response to the pill being stopped. It's not necessary and I skip it now and again because it's not actually a period.

If I recall my pharmacology class correctly, grapefruit juice can slow the metabolism of your liver down which leads to medications staying in your system a little longer which may lead to adverse events. But since you are not ingesting the medication at that time, you should be fine. Just make sure that when you get back on it, that you have not drank any grapefruit juice for a while.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So, like most suburbs we have Jehovah's Witnesses who come by. A year or so ago they did, and I was polite to them and took their literature. Then they came by again. Then again. Then they began coming into our neighborhood only to come to my house and they knew me by name. They asked once if I actually read the literature. I said I did, which is true, because I do find it interesting to look at for like 5 minutes before I trash it. Now they come at least once a month, if not more often, just to visit my place.

How do I get them to stop coming without being rude? I feel like they think they're converting me or something, which isn't going to happen because I'm quite a staunch Athiest. I don't want to be a jerk, because they seem like such nice people and they always comment about my cats and ask how I'm doing and whatnot, but it is kinda annoying to have to go talk to them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

the posted:

So, like most suburbs we have Jehovah's Witnesses who come by. A year or so ago they did, and I was polite to them and took their literature. Then they came by again. Then again. Then they began coming into our neighborhood only to come to my house and they knew me by name. They asked once if I actually read the literature. I said I did, which is true, because I do find it interesting to look at for like 5 minutes before I trash it. Now they come at least once a month, if not more often, just to visit my place.

How do I get them to stop coming without being rude? I feel like they think they're converting me or something, which isn't going to happen because I'm quite a staunch Athiest. I don't want to be a jerk, because they seem like such nice people and they always comment about my cats and ask how I'm doing and whatnot, but it is kinda annoying to have to go talk to them.

You don't have to be a "jerk" to make your point.

"I'm simply not interested and you are not welcome to return. Please stop contacting me."

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

the posted:

Feed a stray dog once and it'll keep coming back.

At some point along the timeline you should have developed a backbone and told them enough was enough. Now it is much harder/more awkward to do so, even though you were only ever humouring them in the first place. You're guilty of the Jehovah's Witness version of stringing along.

Next time they come round, tell them that you've read their material but you've made your mind up and don't want them to visit any more. Politely but firmly. If they come again, don't answer the door. In future, don't patronise people's beliefs - if you never had any intention of reading their material with an open mind, but rather for your own curiosity, then don't ask for it. All the info you could ever want is freely available online. Most of us have done the same thing wrt crackpot literature on the street, and it can be a good laugh to read, but it is kind of different with people going door to door.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

the posted:

they seem like such nice people and they always comment about my cats and ask how I'm doing and whatnot, but it is kinda annoying to have to go talk to them.

It sounds like you're engaging them. As soon as they identify themselves or start speaking, just say thanks, but you aren't interested, and close the door. If they think they have a shot, they'll keep coming back, so keep any conversation as short as possible.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

actionjackson posted:

Why is it when my uncle calls me from Oregon (541 area code) my phone displays it as a 514 area code (Quebec)? This is on AT&T if that matters.

It's a typo in the way that either his or your phone company is transmitting the Caller ID information. It happens quite often, and is a pain to get fixed. One of our sales people had an outbound number that was previously assigned to a health clinic, and that was the party which was displayed when he made an outbound call. We traced it to a stale record with AT&T and it took close to four hours and many phone calls to them to resolve.

Ask your uncle if it happens to others that he calls, or just you, and that will help narrow it down to what company has the error in their records.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

the posted:

Tell them you're excommunicated.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Thanks Douche4Sale and blackguy32. That was my hunch as well, but figured I'd ask in case I was out of some major loop.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

My Casio Databank gains a minute every two weeks or so. Is there a way to stop it from doing that? It's not a huge deal, just slightly annoying.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Hummingbirds posted:

My Casio Databank gains a minute every two weeks or so. Is there a way to stop it from doing that? It's not a huge deal, just slightly annoying.
It's not gaining time, It's just that it really is 2014, and people stopped using databank watches in the 90s.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

pupdive posted:

On the other hand, Tumblr is awful to read. It's fine as long as you only want to read the current posts, but if it's something where you want to go back through the archives it's a massive pain. Just use Blogger/Blogspot. If you can use Microsoft Word, you can use Blogger.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Hi, my wife works for a company part time, and is filling in for somebody while they're away. That person took being away as a good time to send in their "I'm quitting" letter, and the job opening has been posted and applications have already started coming in. The director of the company told my wife that she's "strongly encouraged to apply" but still has to write a cover letter and fill out an application.

How should she reference that? Like I'm assuming it's bad form to say "you told me about the job so hire me!" Should she mention it at all, or is there no need to? Should she just act like she's responding to it cold? I have no idea what to tell her and she's stressing out about it.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

the posted:

Next time they come by, open the door, say "Sorry guys, I don't have time to talk today," and close the door. If they ask you what you think of the material, tell them, "It's a nice story."

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gravity Pike posted:

Next time they come by, open the door, say "Sorry guys, I don't have time to talk today," and close the door. If they ask you what you think of the material, tell them, "It's a nice story."

Nah, tell them that you're really sorry for stringing them along, but you were excommunicated for your homosexual life choices.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

crabrock posted:

Hi, my wife works for a company part time, and is filling in for somebody while they're away. That person took being away as a good time to send in their "I'm quitting" letter, and the job opening has been posted and applications have already started coming in. The director of the company told my wife that she's "strongly encouraged to apply" but still has to write a cover letter and fill out an application.

How should she reference that? Like I'm assuming it's bad form to say "you told me about the job so hire me!" Should she mention it at all, or is there no need to? Should she just act like she's responding to it cold? I have no idea what to tell her and she's stressing out about it.

Just apply to the job, no need to mention that she's been told to. Do include something like "As I've been performing the duties of the assistant chocolate teapot integrator for the past six months, I believe I have demonstrated excellent capabilities blah blah blah".

The director's gonna have a say in the decision, he remembers your wife's name. There's two whole threads about resumes and interviews in BFC, if you're curious.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

RaoulDuke12 posted:

My mom wants me to help set up a blog for her to document her recovery from back surgery, but she's not the most technically inclined person.

I'd really recommend meebly. Drag and drop, free, super simple and consistent once you show her how it works. Blogger is way too complicated and meebly has the advantage of looking like an actual website instead of... Whatever the gently caress tumblr is supposed to be.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

tuyop posted:

I'd really recommend meebly. Drag and drop, free, super simple and consistent once you show her how it works. Blogger is way too complicated and meebly has the advantage of looking like an actual website instead of... Whatever the gently caress tumblr is supposed to be.

Eh what? You know that the tumblr dashboard isn't the same as someone's actual blog look right? There are layouts that look like normal blogs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Eh what? You know that the tumblr dashboard isn't the same as someone's actual blog look right? There are layouts that look like normal blogs.
Then why isn't anyone using them?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tiggum posted:

Then why isn't anyone using them?

Tons of people do.

Here's one http://thefluffingtonpost.com/

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Tiggum posted:

On the other hand, Tumblr is awful to read. It's fine as long as you only want to read the current posts, but if it's something where you want to go back through the archives it's a massive pain. Just use Blogger/Blogspot. If you can use Microsoft Word, you can use Blogger.

Embedding images is something that Tumblr handles invisibly, and locally. Blogger requires uploading to a third party host with all the fun that includes. They are literally hundreds of millions of websites made nonsensical by failures in third party image hosting.

My favorite threads here at SA will all be dead soon enough because of the failure/breakdown of third party image hosts.

I want pictures of his mom's healing back wounds for eternity, dammit!!!

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
There's something called Caring Bridge (http://www.caringbridge.org/what-we-offer/a-journal-for-your-journey) which seems like the non-techie way to do exactly this.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What is this thing? I found it in my apartment and I have no idea where it came from.

The round end has threading on it, if that doesn't come through in the pictures.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

razorrozar posted:

What is this thing? I found it in my apartment and I have no idea where it came from.

The round end has threading on it, if that doesn't come through in the pictures.

It looks like something you screw into like an Ikea shelving unit. The shelves rest on top of it.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Looks like something to hold an adjustable book shelf in place.

Edit: read the rest of your post. Yeah, that.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ladron posted:

It looks like something you screw into like an Ikea shelving unit. The shelves rest on top of it.

Koivunen posted:

Looks like something to hold an adjustable book shelf in place.

Edit: read the rest of your post. Yeah, that.

I don't own a bookshelf or any kind of freestanding shelf, so this just raises further questions, but not ones that can be answered here. Thanks, guys!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

razorrozar posted:

I don't own a bookshelf or any kind of freestanding shelf, so this just raises further questions, but not ones that can be answered here. Thanks, guys!

When did you move in to your apartment? Could be left over from the previous tenants. Don't get too paranoid. There's probably left-over DNA somewhere too.

Question: Do you think an empty framed hiking backpack would be acceptable as a carry-on at the airport? Specifically, this one?

http://www.rei.com/product/844650/rei-crestrail-65-pack-womens

We are flying to California to spend a few weeks in Yosemite. We've already sent all our stuff out there except for our packs. It cost us about $150 to mail our $350 worth of supplies (food, tent, bear canisters, cooking stuff, etc) and would cost even more to send two bulky packs that are worth about $500 combined. If our stuff doesn't arrive we could always do an emergency re-stock when we get there, but if our packs don't arrive we are SOL, and I trust neither the mail nor checking it as luggage as we have three transfer flights. I've seen people take weird, bulky things as carry-ons before, do you think we could get through? The bottom would definitely fit in one of those "check your carry-on size" boxes they have even though it's a bit taller than the given dimensions.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Koivunen posted:

When did you move in to your apartment? Could be left over from the previous tenants. Don't get too paranoid. There's probably left-over DNA somewhere too.

My roommate has been here for four years and I've been here for about two. That's why I was so weirded out. My roommate says he accidentally brought it back from his parents' house, though, so mystery solved.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Koivunen posted:

Question: Do you think an empty framed hiking backpack would be acceptable as a carry-on at the airport? Specifically, this one?

We are flying to California to spend a few weeks in Yosemite. We've already sent all our stuff out there except for our packs. It cost us about $150 to mail our $350 worth of supplies (food, tent, bear canisters, cooking stuff, etc) and would cost even more to send two bulky packs that are worth about $500 combined. If our stuff doesn't arrive we could always do an emergency re-stock when we get there, but if our packs don't arrive we are SOL, and I trust neither the mail nor checking it as luggage as we have three transfer flights. I've seen people take weird, bulky things as carry-ons before, do you think we could get through? The bottom would definitely fit in one of those "check your carry-on size" boxes they have even though it's a bit taller than the given dimensions.

They probably will not allow that huge thing as a carry-on, no. Even if they did, most small regional jets would not accommodate it. You might be able to get away with a gate check, but most likely you are just going to have to check them. It will probably cost you $50, and the chances of them getting lost are very low.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Koivunen posted:

That doesn't appear to be something that will fit under a seat or in the overhead so no.

Go the we website of the airline you are flying and look up their baggage rules. They are clearly listed with dimensions. If that backpack exceeds any of them it's a no-go.

And I absolutely would not check that unless it is put in another bag or box. All those ties and fasteners have a very good chance of getting caught in a belt along the baggage machine and it will be absolutely shredded if that happens.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008
Most hiking backpack companies make specially sized, durable nylon "slips" that collapse very small but can completely cover your backpack. They are designed specifically to allow them to be checked without worrying about snagging the ties and zips. Or just google "Hiking backpack slipcover" or similar.

Please don't try to bring that monstrosity on the plane.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Please try to carry that on so you get a $50 fee to check it at the gate.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Surely it doesn't look as bulky as that when it's empty, does it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

Please try to carry that on so you get a $50 fee to check it at the gate.

They'd just gate check it for free, which if Motronic is right (and he probably is), is probably the thing to try. Also get the slip thing that SIHAppiness mentioned.