Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Weren't giants of some kind also responsible for the childhood event that deranged Ragnaglar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

The Sharmat posted:

Weren't giants of some kind also responsible for the childhood event that deranged Ragnaglar?

Sort of. What you are thinking of, I presume, is the myth of Orlanth's initiation, where the Giant uncles decide to get rid of the young godlings and throw Orlanth, Humakt, Urox and the Other one (in the book of heortling mythology he is never named Ragnaglar in this myth) into the the various pits in the hopes that the denizens of those pits would kill them.

Thing is, those "giants" were actually gods. The Earth Giant was Genert, the Fire Giant was Lodril, the Sea Giant was Magasta and so on....unless they weren't, and this is a result of Godlearnerism messing up with the myths. :v:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Why is he only ever called The Other Brother in so many texts? Does bad stuff happen if you say his name?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Perhaps it's because he wasn't Ragnaglar when he got tossed into the pit.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair
Given that Ragnaglar is only referred to as a kinsman of Urox in the myths, there's a decent chance that most Orlanthi just aren't aware of the possible connection between him and the Other Brother at all.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Now I'm even more confused.

Guess that's Glorantha lore for you.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

He's called the other brother the same reason Yelm is never actually mentioned in the myths. Orlanth went and fought the Bad Emperor or the Evil Emperor or the Bright Emperor. But not Yelm. Then in the Dawn, when the Theyalans went around bringing the news of the Dawn to the world, they met with the sun-worshiping people of the north and the two groups recognized their Bad Emperor and The Rebel in each other's gods.

I imagine something similar happened with Ragnaglar and the Other Brother - they might have been different gods, or they might have been the same. In the end it doesn't matter, because these days they are one and the same.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
With whom does the name 'Ragnaglar' originate then?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

With whom does the name 'Ragnaglar' originate then?

Ragnaglar is also from the Heortling mythology.

quote:

During the march, the chiefs called their Wild Companions.

Vingkot called the Great Bull,Voriof the Great Ram, Humakt the Great Wolf, Barntar the Great Pig, and Varnaval the Great Andam. Orlanth proved himself the greatest when Yinkin the Alynx came as his Wild Brother.

Ragnaglar was angry after that. He became one of the Unholy Trio, so the Great Goat is foul.

To make things even more confusing, in the book of Heortling Mythology, the myth of the initiation does not mention Ragnaglar, and yet later when he is listed, this is his description given:

quote:

Ragnaglar
Ragnaglar was the first of the Unholy Trio. Some say he was
a kinsman to Storm Bull, and although once good, he was
driven to hatred by jealousy and dishonorable acts.
Ragnaglar was a son of Umath, a warrior, and defender.
At his initiation, he was cast into the Sex Pit in the hope
that the demons would drive him mad. Instead, he mastered
the demons and when he climbed out of the pit, he was
subsumed by seduction, rape, and violence.
When he raped
one of Ernalda’s daughters, Orlanth cast him out of the
Storm Village. He returned to claim Thed and took her
away to live in the wilds beyond the Spiral Mountain. There

So is this some confusion of two mythic figures or just lack of a proper editor when the book was being made? With the Stafford Library books it's kind of hard to know!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Wait do Orlanthi not raise goats? Does nobody raise goats?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Tulip posted:

Wait do Orlanthi not raise goats? Does nobody raise goats?

Mostly because of Ragnaglar, really.

And, well, "Orlanthi" do raise goats. And have dogs too. You have to keep in mind that the Heortlings of Dragon Pass (the ones in Heortland and in Sartar) tend to be, in general, some of the most conservative and religiously fanatical examples of the Orlanthi people.

There are quite a few people who are Orlanthi (as in they accept Orlanth as King of the Gods and follow the gods of the Storm Tribe) who have dogs, who raise goats and have no problems at all with either. Most of them are either to the North or West of Dragon Pass. I am not sure what the Umathela Orlanthi are like, but I imagine they probably are not like the Sartarites either.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
People in Kostaddi worship a goat god Gerendetho and raise goats primarily. They do seem fairly exceptional, though, and probably get no end of trouble from their neighbours over it (or got - under the Lunars the goat thing is probably no longer so bad, but the "sided with Sheng Seleris" thing overshadows all of that anyway).

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
While looking up any information on whether Heort is really a Stag hsunchen or (as I suspected) just a stag-horned Kolating, I discovered that Heort is Old English for stag. Duh!

That said, where did you get the hsunchen idea from?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

From the Book of Heortling Mythology

quote:

Parntor the Swift was Deskedov's surviving son, and
married the much-desired Doe Woman after running her
down for seven years and seven days. Once, broos
ambushed them and as they fled they both threw everything
they carried and wore, which distracted the creatures.
Naked, they ran away into the lands where a cold wind
always blew, and summer was like a day of ours. They had
children, and together they began the Deer Folk.

quote:

The
Deer Folk never stayed too long in any of the small
fortresses where the other Vingkotling survivors struggled,
isolated from each other.

quote:

Heort, the son of Darndrev and Drenyan, grew up in
the wilderness. He was one of the Deer Folk.

Emphasis mine.

This is from the very first story which is Heort's Ancestors. It seems I was wrong on something else though - Heort is, technically, a very distant descendant of Vingkot on the male side of the lineage.

However, I do think this all sounds like a description of a hsunchen people.

Edit: Okay, nevermind. I talked with Jeff Richard about this...

Jeff Richard posted:

Not really. Those categories don't really make much sense in the depths of the Great Darkness.
Heort was definitely not Hsunchen because he survived the Great Darkness by something completely different from rejoining with his Beast Ancestors.

....Well in my Glorantha he's a drat hsunchen, so there! :colbert:

Jenx fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 20, 2014

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Ah, but the Orlanthi know (or at least the Fronelan Orlanthi) that the Hsunchen are merely Orlanthi who forgot themselves.

You see, when Orlanth was king of the world, some strangers who were the Logic Tribe invaded Fronela. They defeated Orlanth for they could not be harmed by his magic, and so the Storm Tribe fled until the Logic Tribe's doom overcame them.

The gods all took different forms (Like Humakt being a wolf, Ernalda a sow, and Heort a stag) and fled into the wilderness.

When the Logic Tribe eventually crumbled, the Storm Tribe returned, except for those who fled too far, or became lost. And these are the hsunchen.

(Source: Vadrus and the Logic Tribe: Anaxial's Roster, pgs 72-74)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So does that mean if you dived deep enough into the God time you might be able to join together the Stag/reindeer hsunchen with the Orlanthi? Because that is what I would like my particular Argath to be leading against the Lunars.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
I'm still absorbing the Guide, but I have to say, I'm pleased to see that this guy's attitude is still canon for Doraddi.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

advokat posted:

I'm still absorbing the Guide, but I have to say, I'm pleased to see that this guy's attitude is still canon for Doraddi.

That campaign log is epic, and that speech is full of awesome. Thanks for posting it. :)

We need more Gloranthan gaming.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

BlindGuy posted:

I've been trying to read the Heroquest 2E core as prep to maybe running a game (maybe even on this very forum??). The system seems all right but that is a very dry, very poorly-organised book, and it lacks the rules for pretty much every non-Orlanthi cult.

I'm staying optimistic for the Heroquest Glorantha book. Hopefully, that'll be an easier read, with maybe better advice for designing new cults/spirit societies/magic schools.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Glorantha has huge barriers to entry. When your best option for beginners is to tell them to buy and read an 800 page encyclopedia, you need something more concise.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

Down With People posted:

I've been trying to read the Heroquest 2E core as prep to maybe running a game (maybe even on this very forum??). The system seems all right but that is a very dry, very poorly-organised book, and it lacks the rules for pretty much every non-Orlanthi cult.

I'm staying optimistic for the Heroquest Glorantha book. Hopefully, that'll be an easier read, with maybe better advice for designing new cults/spirit societies/magic schools.

Yeah. I know what you mean about the HQ presentation. It presents fairly simple ideas in a pretty arcane way, but thankfully only the GM really needs to read most of it.

I think the system is flexible enough to be run in many different ways, thankfully. Still, HQG should help, I hope.

The Sartar books are good for Orlanthi, of course.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

They really should just bust out a bunch of little 50-page booklets that cover a small area of Glorantha, with the Guide stuff for it, a few detailed cults that are particularly important, several other cults given just enough detail to play, a handful of encounters, and maybe a starter adventure or two.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

BryanChavez posted:

They really should just bust out a bunch of little 50-page booklets that cover a small area of Glorantha, with the Guide stuff for it, a few detailed cults that are particularly important, several other cults given just enough detail to play, a handful of encounters, and maybe a starter adventure or two.

As part of that, it would be good if they could put out more support for actually gaming in Glorantha. There's a lot of places in the setting where it's not obvious how to turn it into a game. Like, the GM should be able to pull up a place in the Guide and say, "Okay, you guys are adventurers in here!" And the players should, with equal ease, be able to crank out a bunch of cool characters from that region.

Again, I'm hoping the Heroquest Glorantha book is going to make that easier.

EDIT: Even something like more cult write-ups would help. The cult write-ups in the Sartar book are great. They're evocative, they tell you more about the setting, and a player can say, "I wanna be a Humakti!" and have rules there to support that.

Down With People fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 21, 2014

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Another thing that would be nice to have is examples of non-Orlanthi heroquests. Maybe an animistic one, a sorcerous one, an eastern mystic one (if that is even a thing) and a Lunar one. They're a pretty big part of the game (it's right in the name, after all), but at the moment I'd be largely at a loss as to how it is supposed to happen for other peoples/traditions (well, I could improvise/crib from no-longer-canon sources, but that feels subpar), while with the Orlanthi you already have several examples to draw on.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

HeroQuest: Glorantha certainly makes the rules a lot easier to understand, I can tell you that much. The book is mostly centered on Dragon Pass (covering Sartar, Prax, Tarsh and Esrolia), though it does have rules for Sorcery and Spirit Magic. I am not sure if there will be other supplements like this for other places, but I'd say - probably not any time soon.

Books that still need to be released include: Belintar's Book (a god's book of Glorantha), the Bestiary (I can't wait for this one, because the set up of it sounds like pure fun), the Coming Storm campaign, the Harreksaga (hopefully?), re-releasing King of Sartar and I think I might even be missing something.

Moon Design is a very small company, and Jeff Richard can't write everything on his own. However with the Guide now out, maybe it's time some of you get get working on a supplement for a specific area, and look to get it released with Moon Design's support?

Edit: Also, that Sandy Petersen post was just amazing, and I now want to see a full write up of that campaign.

Jenx fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 21, 2014

advokat
Nov 17, 2012

Jenx posted:

Edit: Also, that Sandy Petersen post was just amazing, and I now want to see a full write up of that campaign.

It can be found here.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Thanks, though it seems I had already started reading this very same thing. Apparently just because they start in Prax does not mean they stay there, drat.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

BlindGuy posted:

Funny you should say this. I'm now recruiting for a game set in Seshnela.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
Something got me thinking about prophecies this evening. I'm wondering how much of the hero wars cataclysm that's about to erupt all over Glorantha has been foretold.

I wonder if sages of Lhankor Mhy, for instance, might have a better idea of what is happening or what will happen than the average Lunar or Orlanthi rebel. I feel as though the Argrath has been foretold, but I'm curious by whom.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

BlindGuy posted:

Something got me thinking about prophecies this evening. I'm wondering how much of the hero wars cataclysm that's about to erupt all over Glorantha has been foretold.

I wonder if sages of Lhankor Mhy, for instance, might have a better idea of what is happening or what will happen than the average Lunar or Orlanthi rebel. I feel as though the Argrath has been foretold, but I'm curious by whom.

One of the Appendices in the Guide is actually dedicated to various prophesies relating to the Hero Wars. The thing is, there have been visions and prophesies about it since the First or Second age (I am not too sure which one). Various cultures have each had visions of the global doom that is to come, each interpreting it in different ways.

As for knowing what's happening - I suppose *some* scholars might have a better idea, if they have managed to get access to some of those prophesies, but most Lhankorings are as clueless about what is actually going to happen as anyone else.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

It seems like most of the people who've prophesised the Hero Wars are isolated crazies, like that one broo down in Pamaltela.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

I'm going to put money that 'prophecies' of the Argrath's (i.e. the Liberator) coming is something heard about fifty times a day in most Sartarite clans that aren't Lunar-friends.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Honestly I'm a total Lunar convert at this point. Dumb Storm barbarians should just stop rebelling against everything all the time.

Satrap of First Blessed game when?

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

Come on dude, if you wanna play in the Lunar satrapies but you don't want to be in Halghrim's War, I don't know what to say to you. :black101:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
...what's Halghrim's War?

And I was more thinking of a game like King of Dragon Pass, except in every event one of the options is "feed them to the Crimson Bat"

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

...what's Halghrim's War?

There's a place in the Lunar Provinces called Dorastor, which is an unbelievably awful hellhole controlled by Ralzakark the Broo King. There are so many broo and assorted demons in Dorastor that everyone's poo poo scared of trying to go in there, and the place is so tainted by Chaos that the geography changes overnight. Ralzakark has very tenuous trade treaty with the Lunar Empire, so the neighbouring province of Talastar just has to put up with having goat-monster chaos cultists for neighbours.

Halghrim Ironsword is a devotee of Orlanth and a former chieftain. The king of Talastar asks him to kill Ralzakark, so he takes his Uroxi brother, the remaining warriors of his clan and anyone else he can find and marches right into Dorastor to slay Ralzakark once and for all.

The Sharmat posted:

And I was more thinking of a game like King of Dragon Pass, except in every event one of the options is "feed them to the Crimson Bat"

This would also be good.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
How the hell does a society of Broos even function as a civilization?

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Ralzakark is a Broo demigod from the First Age, enlightened by Nysalor himself and killed by Arkat (and then returned to life by the God Learners, who didn't believe the depths of his storied atrocities and wanted to see for themselves), that's able to corral them into a semblance of order. A monstrous, Chaotic kind of order, but still.

BryanChavez fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 24, 2014

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Sharmat posted:

How the hell does a society of Broos even function as a civilization?

Broos only follow those they fear, and Ralzakark is really, really terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm just wondering because a lot of the day-to-day stuff in Orlanthi society is really well thought out, but it's very hard to imagine a Broo farmer. It's such a weird scenario that could potentially be very interesting. Though obviously anything like a Broo game isn't doable because they're loving rape monsters.

• Locked thread