Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

aricoarena posted:

This link in the OP is pretty good place to start http://www.sweetmarias.com/grind.brew.php

This is great - thank you! I missed it when reading the OP.

Thank you becoming as well for the measurement to aim for. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That Hario grinder isn't good for coarse grinding which you'll need for the French Press. The next purchase should be a Clever Dripper or a Bonmac/Melitta Cone. They are really easy to use and you can make as much coffee as you want with a cone. You can also buy them for like $5 at supermarkets.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 17, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Enjoy hating hand grinding. I really wish people would stop recommending them as baby's first burr grinder. Lots of inconsistencies and a pain in the arm.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

What would be a somewhat affordable automatic grinder that can do fine and coarse grinds well?

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Does anyone have any suggestions for drip coffee machines outside the few in the OP? I'm looking around and trying to weigh all the good options.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Diplomat posted:

What would be a somewhat affordable automatic grinder that can do fine and coarse grinds well?

There are a few options out there, but in order to better answer this question you should probably define "affordable" (target price) and specify what method(s) you plan to use it to brew (pourover, french press, espresso, etc.)

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Diplomat posted:

The go to budget burr grinder is the Capresso Infinity. The next one up a little in cost would be the Baratza Encore. If you can find a used one, it brings it down to a closer price range to the Infinity.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Also, if you're going to go with the Infinity, Bed Bath and Beyond sells them, and they pretty much always have 20% off coupons, which I believe you can use on it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

This one?

http://www.amazon.com/Capresso-560-01-Infinity-Grinder-Black/dp/B0000AR7SY/

I think I'm ready for babby's first burr grinder. The bladed grinder I'm using is 5 years old and isn't long for this world.
I get those 20% off coupons for BBB, and I do use them sometimes, but usually the 20% price is comparable to the regular price on Amazon. Not always though; sometimes you can stack discounts up at BBB.

EDIT: I stand corrected, $99 on BBB's site, vs $89 on Amazon. So even with sales tax, slightly cheaper at BBB.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 17, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah, that's the one. You'll also want to pick up a cheap scale with 0.1g accuracy. There's a ~$20 one from American Weigh on Amazon that basically everyone in this thread uses.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

rockcity posted:

The go to budget burr grinder is the Capresso Infinity. The next one up a little in cost would be the Baratza Encore. If you can find a used one, it brings it down to a closer price range to the Infinity.

dik-dik posted:

Also, if you're going to go with the Infinity, Bed Bath and Beyond sells them, and they pretty much always have 20% off coupons, which I believe you can use on it.

Thanks to both of you, I'm going to pick up an Infinity one I track down some coupons.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Any recommendations for a hot/cold glass carafe that can hold a significant amount (1.5 liter+) and has a lid? I want something I can use to decant my 1.5 liter French press, but I also want to be able to use it for cold brew in the fridge. I'm looking for something with a seal-able lid so fridge smells don't mingle.

I looked around the thread a bit and didn't find anything, not finding anything great on Amazon either

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

There seem to be a lot of options on Amazon under Carafes & Pitchers. Here are two that look promising:

http://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco-Frigoverre-Hermetic-2-Liters/dp/B0000DE9B5/ref=lp_13217521_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1405628544&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Takeya-Airtight-Pitcher-Quarts-Black/dp/B00CYAIRG8/ref=lp_13217521_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1405628544&sr=1-5

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Wow I guess I suck at the internet. that was definitely a "let me google that for you" moment.

thanks, I think I'm going with the Takeya 2 qt...

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

No worries, I'm actually pretty curious to see how well that works for you, so be sure to report back if you can. Also, if you're planning on leaving your coffee refrigerated for a while, might I suggest becoming's ever popular cold brew recipe? It's fantastic.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm anti-cold brew now. The Japanese Ice Coffee method makes it taste much better and brighter.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
My Gaggia Classic got delivered today! Now it's just sitting on my table, taunting me because I don't have any coffee.

Need to get a scale (mine measures like 1-2g max) and looking at the Encore to replace this 5 year-old piece of crap

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Valicious posted:

My Gaggia Classic got delivered today! Now it's just sitting on my table, taunting me because I don't have any coffee.

Need to get a scale (mine measures like 1-2g max) and looking at the Encore to replace this 5 year-old piece of crap

Buy a better grinder if you can at all afford it. I'm really wishing I hadn't sunk $230 into the Virtuoso*, and gotten the Preciso or Vario as everyone recommended. I figured I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but even to my untrained taste buds, my shots vary wildly from one to the next. Super easy to see why a cheaper grinder just doesn't cut it with the bottomless portafilter as well.

*I didn't know I'd be making espresso when I got it, but bought an espresso machine afterwards thinking the Virtuoso would be good enough for a while.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Kreez posted:

Buy a better grinder if you can at all afford it. I'm really wishing I hadn't sunk $230 into the Virtuoso*, and gotten the Preciso or Vario as everyone recommended. I figured I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but even to my untrained taste buds, my shots vary wildly from one to the next. Super easy to see why a cheaper grinder just doesn't cut it with the bottomless portafilter as well.

*I didn't know I'd be making espresso when I got it, but bought an espresso machine afterwards thinking the Virtuoso would be good enough for a while.

I graduate from university next week, so maybe I can see if I can get a Vario as a gift. The only reason I was able to get the Gaggia was that I got it from Goodwill for a whopping $80.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Valicious posted:

I graduate from university next week, so maybe I can see if I can get a Vario as a gift. The only reason I was able to get the Gaggia was that I got it from Goodwill for a whopping $80.

The espresso machine is just the hot water delivery device-it's all about the grinder.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm anti-cold brew now. The Japanese Ice Coffee method makes it taste much better and brighter.

I'm with you on that, except for in two instances.

1) 4:1 coldbrew can become a cup of hot coffee in about 30 seconds, which is really convenient.
2) If I'm mixing with milk, I like 8:1 coldbrew. Japanese iced coffee - at least the method I outlined a while back - tastes weird to me with milk.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Can you link to your outline for the Japanese Ice Coffee?

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Valicious posted:

I'm in the same boat. Got an amazing deal on an espresso machine I couldn't pass up, and now find myself spending money I really shouldn't on an acceptable grinder.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Diplomat posted:

Can you link to your outline for the Japanese Ice Coffee?

Here you go

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Thanks for linking that. I decided to try this out today for kicks, and it was delicious! I probably won't make it often, but I'll definitely keep this in mind for the future, and also try out different sized ice cubes I guess. :v:

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

King of Solomon posted:

Thanks for linking that. I decided to try this out today for kicks, and it was delicious! I probably won't make it often, but I'll definitely keep this in mind for the future, and also try out different sized ice cubes I guess. :v:

The reason you generally want to use bigger cubes is because they melt more slowly, which is what I was going for when I wrote that up. If you find something else that you think works better, be sure to share!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just do single servings of iced coffee and it works ok. 150g of the smallest ice cubes you can find and 20g of coffee. I like small cubes because I want it to melt fast. I add 150g of boiling water to it. It's ready to drink right away when you're done brewing. Just grind it a tad finer than you normally do for drip coffee. I think it's delicious with just a couple ounces of cold milk added, or just by itself. It has a really bright and fresh flavor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPM8mcqHxes

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

becoming posted:

The reason you generally want to use bigger cubes is because they melt more slowly, which is what I was going for when I wrote that up. If you find something else that you think works better, be sure to share!

Well, I didn't have consistent sized ice cubes for the first cup so it might have been a bit worse because of it, but we'll see how it goes once I do. :)

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Just got my Gaggia Classic, but it didn't come with a tamper. Link to a good (cheap) one, preferably on Amazon since I have Prime?
I've also been reading things that say you'll want to adjust the pressure from 12 bars to 9 bars, and that the portafilter baskets it comes with are kinda bad and should be upgraded so you'll get "real" crema (?).
Can anybody help me figure out what the hell I'm doing here?

Valicious fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 19, 2014

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
Hey, what do you guys think of the Breville BES840XL? Is it any good for babby's first automatic machine? I read the OP but I didn't see it mentioned, maybe that's a bad sign.

Kind of looking at a Gaggia Classic too. If there are any other recommendations I'd like to hear it for the 250-500$ range

dhrusis fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 21, 2014

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Getting rid of coffee equipment I don't use or have multiples of. Let me know if you want it!

- New version Aeropress (brand new)
- 6-cup Chemex (like new)
- Able Kone (like new)
- Able Heat Lid (like new)
- Level Kettle (small crack on handle, otherwise good shape)
- Bonavita 0.5 L Travel Kettle (some light spotting inside, works great)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Will owning an espresso machine in my home make me a happier person? wholelattelove.com is selling the Gaggia Classic for $314.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mu Zeta posted:

Will owning an espresso machine in my home make me a happier person? wholelattelove.com is selling the Gaggia Classic for $314.

Happier meaning further down the rabbit hole? Of course!

Might be worth checking out coffeegeek.com and home-barista.com forums though. You might come across a used one for cheaper or one with a PID installed for the same price.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I feel like I should Descale my breville double boiler (the one that does not have the Descale ports).

I'm fine taking it apart and using syringes, but what should I make sure to do (ie how many times to flush, etc)

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

grahm posted:

Getting rid of coffee equipment I don't use or have multiples of. Let me know if you want it!

- New version Aeropress (brand new)
- 6-cup Chemex (like new)
- Able Kone (like new)
- Able Heat Lid (like new)
- Level Kettle (small crack on handle, otherwise good shape)
- Bonavita 0.5 L Travel Kettle (some light spotting inside, works great)

How much for the Aeropress and the Chemex? Shipped to KC?

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

dik-dik posted:

No worries, I'm actually pretty curious to see how well that works for you, so be sure to report back if you can. Also, if you're planning on leaving your coffee refrigerated for a while, might I suggest becoming's ever popular cold brew recipe? It's fantastic.

Sure thing, I'm always game for a new cold brew recipe. For whatever reason, the ratio of beans/water varies wildly in recipes across the internet, even when accounting for dilution.

As for the Japanese method, I'll have to try that. Cold-brewing still seems like an easier way for me to brew a whole pitcher that I can drink throughout the week.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

ZetsurinPower posted:

Sure thing, I'm always game for a new cold brew recipe. For whatever reason, the ratio of beans/water varies wildly in recipes across the internet, even when accounting for dilution.

As for the Japanese method, I'll have to try that. Cold-brewing still seems like an easier way for me to brew a whole pitcher that I can drink throughout the week.

Yeah, if you're planning to brew large batches to be consumed over a week, cold brewing is the only way to go, in my opinion. Anything else is going to lose its flavor really quickly (on the order of minutes).

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
If anyone cares, this is the recipe I've settled on after trying probably 4 or 5 different ones. Its a 2x concentrate, so its very easy to work with, unlike some of these wacky ones that are 3x or 3.5343x and crap:

4 1/2 ounces coarsely ground coffee (about 1 3/4 cups)
3 1/2 cups cold water

Combine 1:1 with water/milk/whatever

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30487-basic-cold-brewed-coffee

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bought the Capresso Infinity. I sprung an extra 50 bucks for the one with the all die-cast housing, because reviews said it was very quiet; the noise of early morning coffee grinding has occasionally been an issue in my house.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009430FHW/

It came with some cleaner that you throw in and grind up. Anyone use this before? Worth using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Bought the Capresso Infinity. I sprung an extra 50 bucks for the one with the all die-cast housing, because reviews said it was very quiet; the noise of early morning coffee grinding has occasionally been an issue in my house.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009430FHW/

It came with some cleaner that you throw in and grind up. Anyone use this before? Worth using?

Never used it. A word of caution when cleaning the capresso, never remove the bottom burr. A few people on here (including myself) have done so, and it pretty much breaks it.