Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Fluo posted:

:wtc: Are they just hoping people won't read the small print, or do they think people will literally travel from one side of the US to the other to get their beer?

To be fair to Stone (not that they really deserve it here), it sounds like they will probably add some more pickup locations. Still, yes, it's terrible that you're sending them hundreds of dollars and they can't ship you a couple freaking bottles. I assume it's due to the legal clusterfuck that is shipping alcohol.

Stone posted:

That list [of locations] currently includes Stone Company Store – Escondido, Stone Company Store – Pasadena, Stone Company Store – Berlin and the yet-to-be-determined site of our Eastern U.S. facility, but additional locations may be added between now and pick-up time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Quantrill posted:

I thought about throwing them $30 for a t-shirt, but gently caress paying $11 for them to ship it to me.

Unrelated, what's a good price for this year's New Belgium La Folie?

Are you outside of the US?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
La Folie is like $13 here but I have yet to buy any. Is it THAT good? New Belgium is weird for me, I like many of their year-round offerings but the idea of them making something really awesome is kind of hard for me to grasp. I think there is still some 2013 floating around here.

a worthy uhh posted:

And yeah, Against the Grain has horrible names/labels (The Brown Note, gently caress you) and is super overpriced. They're another on my 'won't buy' list.

What, you don't want to drink a beer that is basically calling itself diarrhoea??

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Docjowles posted:

To be fair to Stone (not that they really deserve it here), it sounds like they will probably add some more pickup locations. Still, yes, it's terrible that you're sending them hundreds of dollars and they can't ship you a couple freaking bottles. I assume it's due to the legal clusterfuck that is shipping alcohol.

Oh, cool, Eastern US! So I just have to drive anywhere from 0 to 20 hours to pick up my bottle.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Midorka posted:

Are you outside of the US?

Ohio, so this is the first year we get it.

lodie
Feb 8, 2004
So it turns out some people have too much money: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prairie-Artisan-Ales-Ltd-Edition-Dinosaur-Tour-Glass-similar-to-teku-3-Floyds-/181387795015

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I actually really liked the New Glarus bitter in the Beer Camp box. Very simple but very fruity/bready with a nice crisp dry finish, and then a solid residual sweetness. Yum.

Is there any hope to still find a box in Chicago?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

krustster posted:

La Folie is like $13 here but I have yet to buy any. Is it THAT good? New Belgium is weird for me, I like many of their year-round offerings but the idea of them making something really awesome is kind of hard for me to grasp. I think there is still some 2013 floating around here.

I had some 2013 recently from a bottle and really enjoyed it. I had 2014 at the brewery pre-release and I absolutely loved it. I have been impressed with their sours and other lips of faith beers, particularly le terroir if you can find it.

On a related note, I finally found a bomber of their coconut curry hefeweizen and am excited. I tried it last year and liked it, hopefully it lives up this year. Also a place out here in MD finally got the Anderson valley gose, so I bought two 6ers. Super excited to try it.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Quantrill posted:

Ohio, so this is the first year we get it.

So Stone is ripping people off on shipping too. Shipping a T-shirt anywhere in the continental US would be $5 or less. This is on a consumer level even.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

krustster posted:

Do you like sour beers? It's a very good one, and $13 for a high quality sour is a steal.

It came up before with Le Terroir, but I'm slightly annoyed that New Belgium is pricing their sours in a bunch of markets at like $12-13, meanwhile I live 3 miles from the brewery and they're all $18-20 here :argh:

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

pugnax posted:

I actually really liked the New Glarus bitter in the Beer Camp box. Very simple but very fruity/bready with a nice crisp dry finish, and then a solid residual sweetness. Yum.

Is there any hope to still find a box in Chicago?

If you're still looking, email me at uuudar@gmail.com. I'm in the city and not looking for anything special, happy to help a goon out.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
so pineapple pale ale: not so good.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

cryme posted:

So this ended up being a loving kickstarter campaign. gently caress Stone.

Regardless of everything else that's wrong with this, I'm astonished that nobody's mentioned that Brooklyn Brewery has them beat on the "international cross-continental brewery relationship" thing by over a year.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
no surprise that my friend, international beer nerd Dave Witte, is also friends with Off Color's John Laffler, but i was mildly surprised to be serving him beer yesterday. totally nice guy, loved our saison and thought our black farmhouse (a sour made well before the brewery was open) was "a beautiful loving beer." he was also bummed about how expensive his beers are around here and even cringed when he was told Troublesome cost $12 a four-pack, but he gave us some for free, so that was cool.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Ubik posted:

Regardless of everything else that's wrong with this, I'm astonished that nobody's mentioned that Brooklyn Brewery has them beat on the "international cross-continental brewery relationship" thing by over a year.

And they didn't even panhandle for it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

no surprise that my friend, international beer nerd Dave Witte, is also friends with Off Color's John Laffler, but i was mildly surprised to be serving him beer yesterday. totally nice guy, loved our saison and thought our black farmhouse (a sour made well before the brewery was open) was "a beautiful loving beer." he was also bummed about how expensive his beers are around here and even cringed when he was told Troublesome cost $12 a four-pack, but he gave us some for free, so that was cool.

https://twitter.com/OffcolorBrewing/status/490644671303921664

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

haha, great picture- it's awesome having skylights in the brewery, but they can pose a challenge for the unwary photographer. the guy in black is an owner/manager/something of Northdown in Chicago. thanks for the link!

also, i stenciled a few hundred of those kegs.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 20, 2014

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

krustster posted:

Yeah one of the most reliable sours out there, consistently good. In my head I put it up with the RR sours

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

We're all aware that goses are in, Jester King throws their hat into the ring:

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

spoon0042 posted:

so pineapple pale ale: not so good.

What brewery? San Tan's pineapple wheat is moderate on a warm day but I can't exactly give it a ringing endorsement.

On another note, Stone saying they'll add additional pickup locations is probably them saying they'll add more Stone company stores within SD to that list.

I'm still incredulous over their approach. This is an Olympic gold medal-winning long jump over the shark.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
When I first had New Glarus' Wild Sour (maybe a month or two after release), my first thought was that it was just an Oud Bruin. But that beer has changed a lot since, becoming much more tart and really well balanced. The best thing I've had from them.

So I was pumped about Oud Bruin and... It kind of tastes like WS did originally, only with even less tartness. It's not their best but maybe it'll change? Did they use wild yeast on this?

E: Yes, this is apparently from their "Fruit Cave" and is "100% naturally fermented" which I assume is all sorts of wild poo poo. I should read the label...

And the bottle I just opened has more character than the first one I had from last night. So maybe it's a palate thing right now. Still not go-crazy-for but maybe with time...

danbanana fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 20, 2014

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

wattershed posted:

I'm still incredulous over their approach. This is an Olympic gold medal-winning long jump over the shark.

I loving hate it when people misuse crowdfunding. These sites exist for people with unproven ideas to bring them to market without digging themselves into a mountain of debt. If enough people like your idea they fund it and you can make it a reality. When a celebrity or a multi-million dollar company uses one of these sites to raise money it's loving insulting.

Stone has more than enough money to launch this project without resorting to this. Use your loving profitable company to leverage a bank loan if you need one. The people who contribute to this endeavor are suckers and morons. Stone is using this to get an interest free "loan" that they never have to pay back. It's lovely and awful. And I for one will not be buying Stone beer again.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Stone has more than enough money to launch this project without resorting to this. Use your loving profitable company to leverage a bank loan if you need one. The people who contribute to this endeavor are suckers and morons. Stone is using this to get an interest free "loan" that they never have to pay back. It's lovely and awful. And I for one will not be buying Stone beer again.

Just to play devil's advocate... is this that much different than reserve societies? For the $50 levels, you're paying in advance for a really big beer. That's not that much different than me handing CCB $150 in advance for 5 beers (of which I know only minimal details). The only difference is Stone is 1) using an already in-place infrastructure to handle the payment system and 2) telling you specifically where you're money is going.

The 2nd point is disconcerting because there's no reason why Stone can't pony up the cash in more traditional ways. But again, compare this to Upland's reserve society and I don't see a big difference. Upland said every penny from the RS would go to expansion of the sour program. They admitted that they were looking for a cash influx from customers. But because they didn't use Kickstarter or Indie-Go-Go, it's... different?

And I don't agree with your "loan" comment. No one is loaning them money; They're buying something off them even if it's a lovely thank you card.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Ubik posted:

Yeah a local festival (Grill stock, everything American and BBQ) gets insane amounts of Brooklyn kegs in to be extra American. I wondered how they got so much, now I know. Thanks! :v:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 20, 2014

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

danbanana posted:

The only difference is Stone is 1) using an already in-place infrastructure to handle the payment system and 2) telling you specifically where you're money is going.

3) CCB's made much better beer the last 3 years which helps in justifying the costs upfront.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

danbanana posted:

Just to play devil's advocate... is this that much different than reserve societies? For the $50 levels, you're paying in advance for a really big beer. That's not that much different than me handing CCB $150 in advance for 5 beers (of which I know only minimal details). The only difference is Stone is 1) using an already in-place infrastructure to handle the payment system and 2) telling you specifically where you're money is going.

The 2nd point is disconcerting because there's no reason why Stone can't pony up the cash in more traditional ways. But again, compare this to Upland's reserve society and I don't see a big difference. Upland said every penny from the RS would go to expansion of the sour program. They admitted that they were looking for a cash influx from customers. But because they didn't use Kickstarter or Indie-Go-Go, it's... different?

And I don't agree with your "loan" comment. No one is loaning them money; They're buying something off them even if it's a lovely thank you card.

The main difference is that Stone distributes to 39 states and has a successful business model already in place. And the "rewards" are lovely. Either pay the people funding this project on indiegogo like they were investors, or go get a normal bank loan.

I seriously can't see this type of thing in any other light than a big company just taking advantage of their loyal consumers. If stone was a small company trying to get on it's feet I'd feel completely different about the situation. But this just reeks of capitalist bullshit. It's cheap and easy profit at the expense of gullible consumers.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I loving hate it when people misuse crowdfunding. These sites exist for people with unproven ideas to bring them to market without digging themselves into a mountain of debt. If enough people like your idea they fund it and you can make it a reality. When a celebrity or a multi-million dollar company uses one of these sites to raise money it's loving insulting.

Pro post. Agree with it entirely. gently caress Stone completely and forever.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

wattershed posted:

What brewery? San Tan's pineapple wheat is moderate on a warm day but I can't exactly give it a ringing endorsement.

Spring House Robot Surf Factory Pineapple Pale Ale

Yeah, I bought it as much for the monkey cheese name as anything. Probably can't find it anywhere more than 30 miles from Lancaster, PA, not that I'd recommend it. Just seemed to be a bog standard pale ale with a bit of sweetness and a bit of sour, but not in a good way. Better rated on BA than I'd expect, for what that's worth.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
We haven't even touched on the most egregious part of the Stone indiegogo campaign: all three of the proposed collaborations sound loving HORRIBLE.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Stone entering Rogue category...

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

TenaciousTomato posted:

Okay, okay, while I agree about the crowd funding campaign...let's not get ridiculous.

a worth uhh had the correct initial reaction :p

beerbot
May 9, 2012
Chicagoons, the Jewel in North Center still has a few cases of Beer Camp on the floor. $24.99 I think.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

danbanana posted:

It's not, and that's where Stone hosed up. If they just did this as a pre-sale or any other format other than crowdfunding, they could get the same PR bump and cash infusion without the backlash of using crowdfunding in a way a lot of people disagree with. It's not like Stone doesn't have a system for taking payments available.

But the self aggrandizing "Beer revolution" message plus the crowdfunding has just made them look awful. They're trying to pretend they're a scrappy upstart changing the beer world and not one of the biggest craft breweries in the US, and a lot of people are insulted by Stone treating them like they're stupid.

Doesn't help that the beers they're pre-saling sound like hot rear end.

cryme posted:

We haven't even touched on the most egregious part of the Stone indiegogo campaign: all three of the proposed collaborations sound loving HORRIBLE.

Yeah, $50 for an imperial Saison Du Buff? No thanks, I had the regular one.

TenaciousTomato posted:

They're nowhere near the epic levels of douchebaggery that Rogue pulls but all of this "craft beer revolution" talk definitely feels straight out of the Rogue marketing playbook. The fact that it is even reminiscent of Rogue should be enough to tell them it's a bad loving idea.

MunchE fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 21, 2014

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Made it 1/3rd of the way through the Beer Camp box so far. Will try and make it through the rest of the box this week.

The 3 Floyds pale ale tastes exactly like old Man O Awe. It would not surprise me if FFF just threw that in a 12ozer, let it sit in a warehouse for a couple months, and called it a day.

Cigar City tropical maibock is the most unique so far, and definitely what I was hoping to get out of the set. The tropical fruit hop profile played interestingly with the lager body.

Oskar Blues rye bock isn't a bad beer, but Great Divide Hoss is a far superior representation of the style.

Firestone Walker feels like they took a cue from 3 Floyds and repackaged Pivo (maybe with a slightly different hop profile) and gave it to SN. Unlike FFF, however, this is still pretty tasty and the 50ish days of age doesn't hurt this one bit.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

I drove over to SF this weekend and went to City Beer Store, Cellarmaker, and Mikkeller bar. City Beer Store had Nelson and Hoppy Birthday on tap, which was really cool because I've never had an Alpine beer. They just started distributing up here a couple months ago. Nelson was superb, I could definitely taste the rye in it, and Hoppy Birthday is definitely one of the best pales I've ever had.

At Cellarmaker I got a growler fill of one of their latest DIPAs, Highway to the Danker Zone. It's a nelson hop bomb, with a little bit of citra, simcoe and columbus. I also had the Bangerang IPA, which featured mostly motueka, and the Questionable Origins #3 pale ale, with riwaka and southern passion(some south african hop?). The Bangerang had a really interesting almost lime-like hop profile. The pale ale wasn't super hoppy but what hops were there were very unique and quite tastey.

We didn't spend a long time at Mikkeller but I had the Almanac Farmers Reserve Citrus. Typical Almanac sour really, quite tart and not very funky. I'd say this one was a bit more tart than the other Almanac sours I've had. Possibly from the citrons? I've never had a citron so I'm not sure what it really tastes like or how sour they are.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Fluo posted:

Stone brewery is Brewdog level now. :suicide:

I take exception to this: if you funded Brewdog's crowd-funding thing you got a stake in the company, actual shares you can trade on, lifetime discount at their bars and online shops, early access to beers, free tickets to the AGM (aka a big piss up at a brewery with bands and poo poo) and all sorts of other benefits essentially for life. Plus they weren't (and still aren't really) even a fraction of the size Stone are.

Stone offer a t-shirt that costs about £35 shipped, or the ability to pay £40 for a beer you have to drive to Berlin to collect. I love some of Stone's stuff, they do some of the best palate-stripping bitter IPAs being imported to the UK, but their crowd-funding thing makes Brewdog look like saints in comparison, and frankly the wanky bullshit Stone put on the side of their bottles puts Brewdog to shame.

Still I'll probably still pick up Ruination when it's brewed nearby, and the idea of fresh Enjoy BY does sound nice, but they can go swivel if they think I'm funding a brewery that by their own admission will get built regardless of how much they con out of people on IndieGogo.

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 21, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I take exception to this: if you funded Brewdog's crowd-funding thing you got a stake in the company, actual shares you can trade on, lifetime discount at their bars and online shops, early access to beers, free tickets to the AGM (aka a big piss up at a brewery with bands and poo poo) and all sorts of other benefits essentially for life. Plus they weren't (and still aren't really) even a fraction of the size Stone are.

Stone offer a t-shirt that costs about £35 shipped, or the ability to pay £40 for a beer you have to drive to Berlin to collect. I love some of Stone's stuff, they do some of the best palate-stripping bitter IPAs being imported to the UK, but their crowd-funding thing makes Brewdog look like saints in comparison, and frankly the wanky bullshit Stone put on the side of their bottles puts Brewdog to shame.

Still I'll probably still pick up Ruination when it's brewed nearby, and the idea of fresh Enjoy BY does sound nice, but they can go swivel if they think I'm funding a brewery that by their own admission will get built regardless of how much they con out of people on IndieGogo.

Yeah I meant Brewdog PR wise but I completely agree. Brewdog's crowd-funding model is how breweries should do it, indiegogo just makes you seem scummy.

I do like Brewdogs new labels though, even though it doesn't seem as original it's alot less 'edgy'.

Still Rouge is like top tier which I don't think any brewery can top on wankery. :negative:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Loonytoad Quack posted:

i was something of a Brewdog hater until i had this stuff pointed out to me by my buddy's Scottish friend/Brewdog investor who moved to the US a few months back. i mean, their shtick still gets an eyeroll from me, but they actually seem like a decent company.

drank a bunch last night. notable beers:
-HF Anna is better than Arthur, which has gotten more and more tart in my experience; the little touch of honey probably helps in that regard. maybe my favorite of their "regular" beers outside of Everett.
-Night Shift El Lechedor vs Mexican Cake was no contest, with the latter blowing the former out of the water. Lechedor had some pepper on the nose, but it mainly tasted of cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla, which overwhelmed the beer's light body. this year's MC was as good as last year's, with a wonderful balance of the base with the adjuncts and a lingering- but not overpowering- bit of pepper heat. i'd honesty take it over Hunahpu's, which is also excellent, but maybe a touch too sweet for me to drink in quantity.
-Saint Lamvinus is one of my favorite Cantillons, and i'm not even a wine guy. it's not nearly as tart or as funky as most of their lineup, but it's absurdly drinkable for it.
-a few different Pizza Boy beers. one was a dry-hopped sour that was quite tasty and reminded me of Le Terroir, one was a totally unremarkable double IPA (even the IPA guys were unimpressed), and the other was Midnight Delight, a dark sour that i found pretty awful. had it later in the evening, so i don't remember it too specifically, but it smelled like something fungal and rotten and it kind of turned my stomach.

VVV i figured beer was more thread-appropriate than metal. let me know when you're coming through, i'll buy you a beer!

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 21, 2014

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

funkybottoms posted:

Awesome, I really need to get down there and check it out. (Also I think you mean 'international drum god' :v:)

TenaciousTomato posted:

Except without the horrible treatment of employees...

e: St. Lamvinus was among my top beer drinking experiences ever. I had it on a special occasion, hadn't had much Cantillon at the time, etc. Such a great beer and a wonderful color.

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

funkybottoms posted:

Apex Predator has been one of my favorite beers this summer, but yeah, it's an expensive habit.

Fluo posted:

I do like Brewdogs new labels though, even though it doesn't seem as original it's alot less 'edgy'.

Maybe a good idea to distance themselves from the 'edgy' look now that Sam Adams stole it for Rebel IPA. Some Wild-Blue-copying-Flying-Dog level poo poo there.