Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lessail posted:

This season... is good!

This was every thread at the start, and even though we hit lows in never went into "gently caress this bullshit show" territory until the finale blew the potential they had been building all season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

pentyne posted:

This was every thread at the start, and even though we hit lows in never went into "gently caress this bullshit show" territory until the finale blew the potential they had been building all season.

Yeah but those books got continually worse. This book is getting better with every episode.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm surprised they mentioned air bison being the original air benders, considering they undid that whole concept last season.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

boom boom boom posted:

I'm surprised they mentioned air bison being the original air benders, considering they undid that whole concept last season.

Tenzin doesn't have access to Avatar knowledge unless Korra tells him about Wan and the lionturtles.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Did they though? We saw Wan practicing his firebending with a dragon, and I think the implication was doing so helped him improve it.

Air benders may have gotten their power from the turtles, but they refined it through the bison.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TheKingofSprings posted:

Did they though? We saw Wan practicing his firebending with a dragon, and I think the implication was doing so helped him improve it.

They changed it enough, IMO. People learned bending from creatures around them vs. lionturtles bestowed bending on some people, and later on they trained with animals maybe or whatever.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Tenzin doesn't have access to Avatar knowledge unless Korra tells him about Wan and the lionturtles.

That would be hilarious, if Korra just forgot to tell anyone the "real" origin of bending.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They didn't change it at all.

Air Bison are still airbenders. Dragons are still firebenders. They are still the "originals." Humans learned about bending from them. They were not the source of bending but they were still bending before humans were and the source of the bending techniques that humans use.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Sky bison being the original air benders still logically follows from last season. I don't think the Lion Turtles necessarily count as elemental benders, even though some of them can apparently levitate and bend energy itself. They could've given that power to the sky bison. And who's to say Lion Turtles are the only source of bending anyway?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The Airbenders in Wan's flashback actually have the arrow tattoos, which proves that even in the era of Lion Turtles, the Air Bison were an integral part of Airbending. In fact, their control over air is actually bending, while the people in Wan's village used fire clumsily, like an ape wielding a club. They even showed Wan practicing along with a dragon, then showed him fighting off some fire-wielding villagers as one of them says in voice-over "The way Wan moves fire, it's like nothing I've ever seen before. He uses it like an extension of his body." Manipulation of the elements is never referred to as "bending" in Wan's flashback. The word is not used even once.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

They didn't change it at all.

Air Bison are still airbenders. Dragons are still firebenders. They are still the "originals." Humans learned about bending from them. They were not the source of bending but they were still bending before humans were and the source of the bending techniques that humans use.

That's how I interpret it too. Air Bison and dragons had elemental bending abilities long before humans did. They might not have personally bestowed the power of bending upon people, but that doesn't mean they can't be considered the "original benders".

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I did like how Bumi got to get a bit of genuine competence this episode, rather than just being usefully incompetent. Helped address some of the mismatch between his rep as one of the Republic's top officers and... just about everything we see of him on screen.

I like to think he's always been incompetent and that he got his position and fame because of nepotism.

BrianWilly posted:

I have a feeling that the subset of airbending is not going to be something as straightforward as sound or even astral projection. With all the emphasis they've been putting on the more esoteric origins of airbending -- gurus were mentioned twice in this latest episode, with Guru Lahima being brought up for the third time this season -- and with one of the upcoming episodes of the season being titled "Enter the Void," I predict that the airbending subset is going to be voidbending. Just as metal is considered an element in Chinese metaphysics (and Suyin specifically referred to it as one of the elements in the sixth episode), the void is an element in Japanese philosophy that has some connections with sky and air.

How in the world would you bend the void and what would it even do or look like? No idea whatsoever. :buddy:

On a related note, I realized if I existed in this universe then I would absolutely be Otaku, which is both encouraging and discouraging.

Well the wikipedia article you linked says the void/sky is poo poo involving energy and spirits, so I'd imagine spirit bending is gonna be the ultimate form of airbending. Perhaps bending another person's spirit, like waterbenders bend blood?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm curious to see where Bolin's metalbending plot goes. Maybe it's just an excuse for him to get a bit more combat potential considering he's pretty crap otherwise but it'd be interesting to see if they take it somewhere unusual.

I think it would be neat if, in a mirror to the time when Iroh and Toph met each other, Bolin runs into Toph and she helps him understand metalbending without him knowing it's her somehow.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I do wish that Su had given an apology that was bit more heartfelt than "I'm sorry I gave you such a rough time when we were kids," unless we're actually going to see her and Lin's relationship develop further through future events. But if this is where they're finishing up, man that's like a half-apology considering the way Su acted like she didn't know exactly what was up with Lin.

I did really like Lin's scene with Opal, though.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 20, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I do wish that Su had given an apology that was bit more heartfelt than "I'm sorry I gave you such a rough time when we were kids," unless we're actually going to see her and Lin's relationship develop further through future events. But if this is where they're finishing up, man that's like a half-apology considering the way Su acted like she didn't know exactly what was up with Lin.

I did really like Lin's scene with Opal, though.

The thing is that Lin was holding a grudge for something she refused to talk about which happened years ago. Su and Toph talked about it and were in contact and Lin was holding a grudge for her mother that even her own mother didn't hold any longer.

I don't think Su knew that Lin was angry about her mother quitting the force because to Su, that was something she and her mother had talked about years ago and gotten over.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lessail posted:

I think it would be neat if, in a mirror to the time when Iroh and Toph met each other, Bolin runs into Toph and she helps him understand metalbending without him knowing it's her somehow.

They could just set it up that Bolin meets her by himself. He's enough of a knucklehead I'm sure he wouldn't notice.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Genocyber posted:

Well the wikipedia article you linked says the void/sky is poo poo involving energy and spirits, so I'd imagine spirit bending is gonna be the ultimate form of airbending. Perhaps bending another person's spirit, like waterbenders bend blood?

That'd explain why their goal was kidnapping the baby-tar, not killing her. Boy are their faces going to be red when they find out evil spirit-y avatar was last season's plot!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope Zaheer and P'Li uncharacteristically freak out about Kai possibly being their kid, but then later it turns out that Kai is not their child and their actual baby is dead.

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

Level Slide posted:

I hope Zaheer and P'Li uncharacteristically freak out about Kai possibly being their kid, but then later it turns out that Kai is not their child and their actual baby is dead.

Spolier that poo poo!!!

So far I've been enjoying this season enormously. Specially liked the villains during the first few episodes.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The Airbenders in Wan's flashback actually have the arrow tattoos, which proves that even in the era of Lion Turtles, the Air Bison were an integral part of Airbending.
Did they? I remember them having a different motif.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

They have the tatoos, but honestly it looks more like Ravaa than the air bison.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

X_Toad posted:

Did they? I remember them having a different motif.

I thought the old airbender tattoos were people. They even have little heads.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Sydin posted:

They have the tatoos, but honestly it looks more like Ravaa than the air bison.

Just another reason why Scoundrel class Vaatu air acolytes would have been awesome.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Even if people got the ability from the Lion Turtles, the Bison were still doing it first (making them the originals) and the gifted airbenders learned from them

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Fried Chicken posted:

Even if people got the ability from the Lion Turtles, the Bison were still doing it first (making them the originals) and the gifted airbenders learned from them

What we shouldn't also forget is that Wan died a failure(he couldn't hold back societal breakdown and tribal war) and that his teachings probably died out more than once.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sithsaber posted:

What we shouldn't also forget is that Wan died a failure(he couldn't hold back societal breakdown and tribal war) and that his teachings probably died out more than once.

It must've really sucked for the 2nd avatar. And the 3rd, 4th, etc until the White Lotus was founded.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I loving hated season 2 and hated most of season 1 but this season is super good. I've enjoyed every episode so far.

BTW did anyone else notice this very minor fuckup from the latest episode?

:ghosthands:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is it wierd that I think if Jinora shaves her head when she gets her tattoos it could possibly be the most :3: thing TLA or LOK has ever done.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Kibayasu posted:

Is it wierd that I think if Jinora shaves her head when she gets her tattoos it could possibly be the most :3: thing TLA or LOK has ever done.

Come to think of it, how far down do those tattoos go? Please don't tell me they line up perfectly with chakra points.(you get what I'm asking)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sithsaber posted:

Come to think of it, how far down do those tattoos go? Please don't tell me they line up perfectly with chakra points.(you get what I'm asking)

They do go down to the bottom of the spine if that's what you're asking?

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Kibayasu posted:

They do go down to the bottom of the spine if that's what you're asking?

Oh thank God, I thought they ran down the stomach...it's been a while since I saw the training episodes.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

beep by grandpa posted:

I loving hated season 2 and hated most of season 1 but this season is super good. I've enjoyed every episode so far.

BTW did anyone else notice this very minor fuckup from the latest episode?

:ghosthands:

Hopefully they can fix that for the DVD set. :(

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Whats wrong with that? They're sitting down, and the person (otaku??) raises his hand HIGH over his head. Why is it a ghost hand?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Rawrbomb posted:

Whats wrong with that? They're sitting down, and the person (otaku??) raises his hand HIGH over his head. Why is it a ghost hand?

Look at the very bottom of the hand on the bottom frame - there's a line of transparency.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Rawrbomb posted:

It took me a while to catch it, but in the second screenshot the hand is misaligned so there's a ittle empty space between the bottom of the wrist amd the bottom of the screen that makes it look like the hand isn't connected to anything and is just floating in the air.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sithsaber posted:

Oh thank God, I thought they ran down the stomach...it's been a while since I saw the training episodes.
Why would that matter?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I think he's trying to ask if airbenders have arrows on their junk without actually saying that's what he's asking.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gruckles posted:

I think he's trying to ask if airbenders have arrows on their junk without actually saying that's what he's asking.
I figured that was the case, but why would that matter? It's not like they're ever going to show us airbender junk.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I sorta figure there's like two arrows kinda corkscrewing around the shaft like some kind of funky caduceus.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Can we go back to graphing how many more fights Korra lost than Aang again? I think it would be better than this endlessly classy derail.

I just picked up the new issue of The Rift, and it is some pretty great stuff. Original flavour Toph is still great, and I absolutely love Aang politely introducing himself to the newest member of the Rough Rhinos during a battle to the death. I eagerly await seeing Toph and her dad find some kind of peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Finally saw the last two episodes.

The Good:
- As the AV Club pointed out, it was the adults, not the kids, who needed growing up. Lin had to get past her grunge against her sister, and perhaps more importantly, her failure to reconcile with her mother, which her sister managed to do. (Toph wandering off to "find Enlightenment"? Maybe she just needed a private place to pick her nose and things got out of hand). I didn't totally buy the whole "Lin being nice the next morning because she cleared everything up" scene but fortunately that ended quickly.
- Tenzin is great as a flawed character who misses the forest for the trees, or whatever analogy you want to use for not being who he wants to be as a leader or a very spiritual airbender. I just don't like it drawn out over the seasons with him never showing much improvement. I had that problem with Korra last season. He seems to have made a breakthrough this episode and I hope it sticks.
- I actually didn't mind Bolin's arc last season just because it was so much less annoying than other arcs and it had a nice cap at the end when he suddenly remembered he was a bender, and I like him this season, but gently caress, just take a metalbending class already.
- Asami (who apparently returned to her home planet until she's needed again, like she did last season) and Mako are way better this season, and have their priorities straight.
- We got to see a lot of good variations in airbending. Kai is obviously exceptionally talented; the other benders were more or less throwing the same move over and over again while the more experienced Meelo was dancing around them and doing the real damage, which is appropriate for their experience levels. Someone worked very hard on consistency here.
- Korra didn't do anything annoying for two whole episodes so that was a plus.
- Baby bison accidentally flying! Who couldn't love that? (The Earth Queen maybe)

The Bad
- Bolin and Opal fails to interest me in any way, typical of the teenage romance plotlines that this season has otherwise been free of
- Jinora, your dad is right. You have some cool spirit moves but you are WAY too young to get full-body tattoos. You're 10 at most. Aang got them at like 12/13, which was considered exceptional; he was the youngest airbender to get tattooed ever, and that was probably due to him being the Avatar. Also, shaving your head to GET the tattoos will look horrible; I doubt they'll do it this season.
- Bosco, noooooo!
- I was a little disappointed that the Red Lotus group abandoned their plan of kidnapping the President. That guy kinda needs the poo poo kicked out of him after what he said to Korra two weeks after she defeated Kaiju Unalaq.
- I know this is unrelated but I still want to see Katara's reaction to hearing that Bumi is an airbender.
- Look, Diko, I know you love your Asian stuff, but even the Chinese knew that acupuncture was bullshit. They wrote tractates debunking it a thousand years ago. Mao sold it to the West because he saw it as a source of revenue after China was opened to foreign investment.

• Locked thread