Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Emong posted:

I was kinda hoping to be able to make it out of blood, but this works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Emong posted:

I was kinda hoping to be able to make it out of blood, but this works too.

How did you do this :stare:

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Angry Diplomat posted:

How did you do this :stare:

code:
[REACTION:CREATE_SWORD_FROM_WHATEVER]
	[NAME:create weird-rear end sword]
	[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
	[REAGENT:input item:1:ANY:ANY:NONE:NONE]
	[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:input item:NONE]
	[SKILL:FORGE_WEAPON]
Chuck that in a reaction_* raw file and your adventurers will be able to make a long sword out of any item you want.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Emong posted:

code:
[REACTION:CREATE_SWORD_FROM_WHATEVER]
	[NAME:create weird-rear end sword]
	[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
	[REAGENT:input item:1:ANY:ANY:NONE:NONE]
	[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:input item:NONE]
	[SKILL:FORGE_WEAPON]
Chuck that in a reaction_* raw file and your adventurers will be able to make a long sword out of any item you want.

Do its properties reflect the material you've made it from?

Emong
May 31, 2011

I'm fairly certain it will inherit all the properties of the material you use, but I haven't really done any extensive testing or anything.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

40.04 is out

Dwarf Fortress 2014: babies don't start strapped with a knife.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

drat, it's been a while since I've read about a Fell mood :unsmigghh:

I had one about two months ago where some loving cheese maker killed my all star armorsmith during the mood. I had my crack team of elite swordslords turn him into road cheese.

He didn't even have the courtesy of claiming the forge and I didn't have any more time for elite craftsdwarves.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Confirmed: no changes to raws. Go hog wild.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I just worked out the colossus adventurer setup, so I took a jaunt over to a necromancer's tower for testing. While I could not read, I was perfectly capable of beating its master to death with his own book: Death: The Definitive Guide

Hopefully he was able to follow the instructions.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Jesus, Toady isn't loving around with strangulation anymore. Four "strangle" actions and a dwarf suffocates.

e: Four strangle actions and an elephant suffocates. :stare:

e2:

scamtank fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 20, 2014

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
So with the new version can I just dump the exe in my current folder, to preserve my raws?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hmm. In DF2014 trees can grow through soil layers. Has anyone had a dwarf get impaled by a tree bursting from their underground tree farm yet? I just had a close call where the trade depot suddenly collapsed as a towercap poked through :psydwarf:

e: Now I know why a dwarf would just as soon have nature and the great outdoors burned to ashes and converted into a great mining pit.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 20, 2014

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Excelzior posted:

Hmm. In DF2014 trees can grow through soil layers. Has anyone had a dwarf get impaled by a tree bursting from from their underground tree farm yet? I just had a close call where the trade depot suddenly collapsed as a towercap poked through :psydwarf:

e: Now I know why a dwarf would just as soon have nature and the great outdoors burned to ashes and converted into a great mining pit.

Dwarf Fortress 2014: It is M. Night Shyamalan's The Happening

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Crimson Harvest posted:

So with the new version can I just dump the exe in my current folder, to preserve my raws?

No, it's a little more complicated than that. Take your inits and raws and such and put them into the new one instead.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

I... uh. I... Hm.
:stare:

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That is the most :black101: pantheon

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
There's also 'The Fresh Nuts', the goddess of fertility and food.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Hotwire posted:

Reminds me of that old Slap Chop ad.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Can you just copy/paste your region folder to the new version to keep the compatibility?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Can you just copy/paste your region folder to the new version to keep the compatibility?

I didn't see anything about saves breaking in the notes so it should work fine.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
I know it wasn't in the patch notes, but hostility still isn't fixed.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is df2014 fortress mode playable yet? (IE: Enough bug-fixes / utilities for those of spoiled on 2012 to switch over?)

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
I keep getting werebeasts that kill one of my dwarves and then just sit there "Overwhelmed by horror" until they turn back into a human and then leave.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Also in my modding adventures:

I always kinda wondered why Toady never added this sort of thing himself. With less elf-butchering probably.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Hotwire posted:

I... uh. I... Hm.

Hotwire posted:

Your world is so... uncouth! <:mad:>

:shobon:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Stopped nearby objects from being teleported by construction removal and a related problem with the item loop

I really like that.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

is df2014 fortress mode playable yet? (IE: Enough bug-fixes / utilities for those of spoiled on 2012 to switch over?)

In my experience not really. I haven't played fortress since the first 2014 release, but my understanding (and my experience) was that the big problem wasn't so much "the game crashes constantly, rendering it unplayable" (though that certainly was an issue!), and more "the first time hostiles attack the game is effectively over."

You see one person dies and then everyone just stand still, frozen in fear, on both sides, forever. Also necromancers are everywhere and zombies are way harder to kill now.

Which I kind of dislike. I liked where zombies were before, incredibly easy to kill but came in truly massive (and growing!) numbers, and could come at a time when you wouldn't necessarily have enough of a military set up to be able to easily handle them.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

"Incredibly easy to kill" with crossbows, maybe. Now you can actually cut them down with melee weapons AND not have the corpse start moaning again in the wheelbarrows five meters from the battlefield.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Were the old zombies hard to kill with melee? I only had a couple of forts that experienced them (though I was always trying to get more! Somehow though I just could not get a tower to be near a place where I would want to start a fort). I don't really recall having any trouble meleeing them personally, but then again it's been a while. I mostly just remember them going down easy once I had Actual Military Dwarves instead of just Babby's First Emergency Militia

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The ordinary zombies were so-so. They could easily smash in your chest with a single punch, but their hitpoint system meant that even blunt weapons could batter them down for a while. It's the thralls that were unstoppable in melee.

The only thing that killed them was decapitation or bisection. Hard enough already for unarmored and man-sized targets, but when you account the immense gain in muscle mass that comes from the zombification syndrome, you're starting to get to the point where not even the massively overdone penetration and contact area numbers on default weapons are enough to saw through all that meat. Not even adamantine axes can help you through that.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

ninjewtsu posted:

You see one person dies and then everyone just stand still, frozen in fear, on both sides, forever. Also necromancers are everywhere and zombies are way harder to kill now.

Has he even acknowledged the aggression(terror) issue yet? Maybe it's intended. Part of his grand vision.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Are quarry bushes still messed up in the raws? Any other RAW file bugs around?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Shadowlz posted:

Has he even acknowledged the aggression(terror) issue yet? Maybe it's intended. Part of his grand vision.

My guess would be that he doesn't want military to just be immune to freezing in terror, he just hasn't quite tweaked the values yet so that it's at a point where things are playable.

I would also guess that he views "pressing tab causes the game to crash" as more important than "strange AI behavior quirk," even if it is a bit of a game breaking AI quirk, so he's focusing on other things.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Shadowlz posted:

Morale issues are on the tracker and haven't been closed as 'working as intended'.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Hotwire posted:

I... uh. I... Hm.

Kubuk Bittentombs, rear end fiend.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
I started a new fortress, and out of the blue, one of my original members became a King but he still mines and does other work like a normal dwarf. Also, apparently none of our trading partners ever bring an outpost liason, so I think something is up with my world.

Also, I have an bit of an odd legendary to show:

quote:

This is a frilly pig tail fiber skirt. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with pig tail fiber and encircled with bands of pig tail fiber and round gneiss cabochons. It is made from pig tail fiber cloth. This object menaces with spikes of native silver and galena. On the item is an image of Grizzlyfolds, the frilly pig tail fiber skirt in pig tail fiber.

I believe this legendary has an image of itself on it. So I can only imagine how deep it goes.

Solvency fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 21, 2014

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Solvency posted:

I started a new fortress, and out of the blue, one of my original members became a King but he still Mines and does other work like a normal dwarf. Also, apparently none of our trading partners ever bring an outpost liason, so I think something is up with my world.

BUG: nobles actually doing work and not being useless

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah, you sat in the smoldering remains of a dead civilization. Congratulations, now's the time to make things right again.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do you guys have any tips for finding stuff to do in 2014 Adventure Mode? Maybe there are some worldgen settings that would make it easier to find viable quests from peasants?

Because since v2014 released most my conversations go:
"Do you have any problems?"
"Thing X is pestering our village!"
"Where can I find Thing X?"
"Oh, it died 5 years ago. :downs:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Solvency posted:

I started a new fortress, and out of the blue, one of my original members became a King but he still mines and does other work like a normal dwarf. Also, apparently none of our trading partners ever bring an outpost liason, so I think something is up with my world.
You tend to get this a lot of you turn the megabeast and semi-megabeast caves up dramatically in the more specific worldgen options. I had a world that went through 1050 years of history in the space of about fifteen seconds because the last bastion of civilisation got wiped out by about fifteen megabeasts and minotaurs by year 40.