Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

ReindeerF posted:

They did the Coke name campaign here in Asia last year and it was all family names like "mother," "sister," "brother" and so on. You can suss out an interesting social commentary from that difference.

Share a Coke is absolutely genius marketing because it's stupid loving sugar water, yet now everyone's running around buying more of it. And it came out of Australia. Good show, boys in flip flops! Time to head down to the nearest hotel and drink until they throw you out at 10 or whatever your crazy laws are! Good on ya, you've earned it.

It's hilarious to me because it's just copying marketing aimed at children and transposing it onto a product consumed primarily by adults. Who wasn't excited at finding a pencil case or souvenir or whatever with their name on it when they were five years old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
i hope to find tal fortgang on a bottle of coke some day, that will show that we have come far as a society

unrelated question, i haven't looked at the eastern europe thread since the plane was shot down, is there anything worthwhile to read in like 1500 posts or is it all just dumb speculation and arguing with mightypeon?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Swan Oat posted:

unrelated question, i haven't looked at the eastern europe thread since the plane was shot down, is there anything worthwhile to read in like 1500 posts or is it all just dumb speculation and arguing with mightypeon archaeo?

Fixed to reflect the correct second situation.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Swan Oat posted:

i hope to find tal fortgang on a bottle of coke some day, that will show that we have come far as a society

unrelated question, i haven't looked at the eastern europe thread since the plane was shot down, is there anything worthwhile to read in like 1500 posts or is it all just dumb speculation and arguing with archaeo?

Beyond ThirdPartyView's accurate amendment, you can learn all the information the thread has about the event through the following simple mental exercise:

1. Think of something related to the crash.
2. Think of the most reprehensible thing Russia/the separatists could do involving that crash-related subject. C'mon, take a minute here. Really dig down deep. Got something? Great.
2. OK, there's relatively sound evidence that Russia/the separatists are doing something worse than that thing you thought of in step two.

Question for the thread:

A post in politoons gave me an interesting question. What would be the ingredients of a "Radical Islam enchilada"?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 20, 2014

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Question for the thread:

A post in politoons gave me an interesting question. What would be the ingredients of a "Radical Islam enchilada"?
Pork because of taqiyya.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I found two small wasp nests in my carport.

Using the IDF standards for proportional response, I burned down every other house on the block.

Thank you, thank you, you're too kind, I'll be here all week (or until the rapture)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Tip your oppressors.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

XyloJW posted:

Pork because of taqiyya.

look at this twelver chump. all the cool radicals are rolling sunni, grandad.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

Rose water is probably involved

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

someone should ethnically cleanse the i/p thread of bad posters

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I am going to kick a puppy for each new post in the right-wing media thread that mentions Penn Jillette.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

StandardVC10 posted:

I am going to kick a puppy for each new post in the right-wing media thread that mentions Penn Jillette.

What are they doing posting about that jackass? Isn't he more of a glibertarian than a conventional member of the right wing?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Discendo Vox posted:

What are they doing posting about that jackass? Isn't he more of a glibertarian than a conventional member of the right wing?

Wait is that "glibertarian" intentional? I like it.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

R. Mute posted:

From a business standpoint I wonder if the purchase of big red titles outweighs the bandwidth consumption from the constant bickering.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Discendo Vox posted:

They're trying to determine whether liking his show can be considered a Correct Opinion. I've never watched it, so I don't give a rat's rear end.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

R. Mute posted:

Well, that or give them fugly 'gang tags'. :v:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

it can't be, because even if you ignore the politics, penn jillette is an insufferable turd. he's like the jeremy clarkson of magic

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Ogmius815 posted:

Wait is that "glibertarian" intentional? I like it.

It is- I can't remember where I first heard it, but it evokes the all-too-common overlapping sets of libertarianism and :smug:.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

They're the same

Reagan's like :allears::swoon:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ron Paul: "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!"
Ronald Reagan: "UGUU~!"

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 20, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
dang what sick joke of genetics deprived rand of normal looking hair

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

SedanChair posted:

They're the same

Reagan's like :allears::swoon:

time-traveling paul rudd

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Quantum Finger posted:

time-traveling paul rudd

From the pilot to NewsCorp's rejected Quantum Leap remake.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

paranoid randroid posted:

dang what sick joke of genetics deprived rand of normal looking hair

Drinking home remedies that are 40% mercury makes your hair fall out.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
at least Ron the Elder had functional hair before the colloidal silver made it fall out. rand looks like hes wearing a rug someone made out of a dog

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Rand's top is a merkin some jokester told him was a toupee, not expecting he'd fall for it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

comes along bort posted:

Rand's top is a merkin some jokester told him was a toupee, not expecting he'd fall for it.
Great joke, and it works even better when you consider how much of a dickhead Rand is.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I wasn't really joking, I'm pretty sure he's sporting a merkin.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

at least Ron the Elder had functional hair before the colloidal silver made it fall out. rand looks like hes wearing a rug someone made out of a dog

You know, Rand Paul has never gone on record denying that he wears a rug someone made out of a dog. Makes you think.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Rand's haircut is vintage early 1980s insurance salesman who gets in too close to the ladies at office events.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Rand's haircut is vintage early 1980s insurance salesman who gets in too close to the ladies at office events.

i bet rand paul wears cologne with a name like Suave Dusk and calls himself "a real cut-up".

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Rand Paul's Economic Theories: 0% of the time they work every time.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Executive Order Chat:

When I see an article that states something like, "Obama bans x by executive order".

X has been something like discrimination of transsexuals, homosexuals, or whatever.

That only affects government workers and government contractors right? I have met a lot of people that claim Obama has been bypassing Congress and forcing all employers to do this. While I would like that to be true, it is not right? It just affects workers dealing with the fed?

I ask this because it gets brought up a lot to show that Obama is acting like a dictator.

Has there been an executive order that is actually out of line?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Deadulus posted:

Executive Order Chat:

When I see an article that states something like, "Obama bans x by executive order".

X has been something like discrimination of transsexuals, homosexuals, or whatever.

That only affects government workers and government contractors right? I have met a lot of people that claim Obama has been bypassing Congress and forcing all employers to do this. While I would like that to be true, it is not right? It just affects workers dealing with the fed?

I ask this because it gets brought up a lot to show that Obama is acting like a dictator.

Has there been an executive order that is actually out of line?

To the best of my knowledge, no. The discrimination order you reference, for example, is specific to government employees and, iirc, contractors. The major forms of executive overreach were closed off during the Bush administration when the Supreme Court limited the scope of items like signing statements and the line item veto.

I find Obama's use of executive orders in the area problematic nonetheless, though. This isn't because I object to the content, but because rulemaking by executive order isn't very durable- all it accomplishes is making Republicans angry, and can be reversed easily by a subsequent Republican administration (this sort of thing has happened before). Justice department action reinterpreting existing law, setting up a test case would be much more effective in creating lasting change in the area.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

To the best of my knowledge, no. The discrimination order you reference, for example, is specific to government employees and, iirc, contractors. The major forms of executive overreach were closed off during the Bush administration when the Supreme Court limited the scope of items like signing statements and the line item veto.

I find Obama's use of executive orders in the area problematic nonetheless, though. This isn't because I object to the content, but because rulemaking by executive order isn't very durable- all it accomplishes is making Republicans angry, and can be reversed easily by a subsequent Republican administration (this sort of thing has happened before). Justice department action reinterpreting existing law, setting up a test case would be much more effective in creating lasting change in the area.

So to clarify, all the various administration and agencies of the federal government are under the executive branch correct? Meaning that they are subject to whatever the President says, as long as it doesn't conflict with what as been set out by congress as to how they function.

Stuff like Obama directing what ICE does, like go for certain immigrants for certain reasons and not others (because of limited resources, I think?), is completely valid.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 21, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Deadulus posted:

So to clarify, all the various administration and agencies of the federal government are under the executive branch correct? Meaning that they are subject to whatever the President says, as long as it doesn't conflict with what as been set out by congress as to how the function.

Stuff like Obama directing what ICE does, like go for certain immigrants for certain reasons and not others (because of limited resources, I think?), is completely valid.

It's a contested area, legally. I generally view it with intense suspicion because when it's done for political purposes(like in this case) it's a pretty massive circumvention of Congress. Imagine a Republican administration that decides hate crimes and financial embezzlement are a low priority for Justice Department attention. Executive oversight of the administrative apparatus is an area that wasn't countenanced in the original design of the constitution, and while it's necessary to some degree it's also a real weak spot in US constitutional structure and jurisprudence.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

It's a contested area, legally. I generally view it with intense suspicion because when it's done for political purposes(like in this case) it's a pretty massive circumvention of Congress. Imagine a Republican administration that decides hate crimes and financial embezzlement are a low priority for Justice Department attention. Executive oversight of the administrative apparatus is an area that wasn't countenanced in the original design of the constitution, and while it's necessary to some degree it's also a real weak spot in US constitutional structure and jurisprudence.

That's a good point. I think I read in these threads that the financial crimes of the justice department was woefully underfunded at something like a few tens of a million a year(going up against the most powerful banking sector in the world), while the drug enforcement part was in the billions.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Deadulus posted:

That's a good point. I think I read in these threads that the financial crimes of the justice department was woefully underfunded at something like a few tens of a million a year(going up against the most powerfully banking sector in the world), while the drug enforcement part was in the billions.

That's a bit more complicated because the funding streams for different areas of investigation are divided between entities. Looking at funding in one department will give you an inaccurate image of what actual expenditures are like. Do you have a source for that claim?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

Uhhh pretty sure Rand's haircut is Wallace Shawn's with a carpet sample stapled on top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

i bet rand paul wears cologne with a name like Suave Dusk and calls himself "a real cut-up".

I wear old colognes sometimes :mad:

Caron Yatagan and YSL Kouros and they smell great

• Locked thread