Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fat Samurai posted:

This one will be difficult: I'm looking for a PC game in where after having played 20 hours or so you can look back to your exploits and say "I did this". Typical RPG story of ragtag band of misfits to big drat heroes (getting a castle in BGII, for example) doesn't work because it's something the story does for you. Strategy games are a too hands off, because it isn't you doing the conquering.

Closest I've seen of what I want is the X series.

Mount and Blade: Warband. Conquer the world, and personally lead the troops into battle. Open world with no set plot development.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/48700/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Oops, yeah, sorry. Already played and I was thinking about it while posting, but then I forgot. That's exactly what I'm looking for, though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

itsjustdrew posted:

I've not tried it, is it any good? I like the idea of having a wide choices in cars and classes and being able to tune them / buy upgrades.

Everything I'm about to post is hearsay, BUT, it seemed to hit the sweet spot between a total simulation such as Forza, and an arcadey game like Need For Speed. It did seem to have a good variety of cars as well as driving techniques (races, drifts, etc) and I'm pretty sure upgrading is a definite possibility. I should really play it sometime but in all honesty Forza ruined me on other games because it's just that good.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Fat Samurai posted:

Oops, yeah, sorry. Already played and I was thinking about it while posting, but then I forgot. That's exactly what I'm looking for, though.

Have you tried the latest version of Pirates?

StarSector is a current alpha game that's set in space where you go around, set up trades, build a fleet, etc,.

There's a thread for it somewhere on games, and apparently it already has a rather active modding community.

Comedy option, Terraria. After 20 hours, you will in have fact built a castle yourself, with citizens, and upgrades and workshops that you made.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Xeras posted:

I'm looking for a RPG to play on PC. I'd prefer something with a party but I'm not interested in Baldur's Gate type games.
What exactly do you mean with "Baldur's Gate type" here? Or alternatively, name something you've played that is kinda similar to what you're after.
Pretty much everyone and their dog is in love with the recently released Divinity: Original Sin (and with good reason), but yeah it is kinda similar to Baldur's Gate in a lot of ways.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Nordick posted:

What exactly do you mean with "Baldur's Gate type" here? Or alternatively, name something you've played that is kinda similar to what you're after.
Pretty much everyone and their dog is in love with the recently released Divinity: Original Sin (and with good reason), but yeah it is kinda similar to Baldur's Gate in a lot of ways.

I'm actually in the middle of Divinity: Original Sin but I'd like something less arcane on the side. By Baldur's Gate type I mean I'm not after BG2, Icewind Dale, type suggestions. I'd like something reasonably light akin to Final Fantasy type series.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Leper Residue posted:

Have you tried the latest version of Pirates?

StarSector is a current alpha game that's set in space where you go around, set up trades, build a fleet, etc,.

There's a thread for it somewhere on games, and apparently it already has a rather active modding community.

Comedy option, Terraria. After 20 hours, you will in have fact built a castle yourself, with citizens, and upgrades and workshops that you made.

Honestly, Terraria scratched an itch similar to what I was looking for, although the scale was too small.

Starsector seems interesting, thanks. It seems that what I'm looking for is basically EVE without the online part and sci-fi optional...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This seems like a pretty good place to ask. I'm looking for something on a handheld with a "city building" sort of miniquest. Like how in Suikoden as you recruit people you see your city flesh out, Bravely Default how you can rebuild that city that got destroyed, same minigame in Xenoblade Chronicles.

I like seeing the world kind of change and grow as I play. I don't know how many games like that exist on handhelds so I'm open to all suggestions really but handheld would be ideal.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Xeras posted:

I'm actually in the middle of Divinity: Original Sin but I'd like something less arcane on the side. By Baldur's Gate type I mean I'm not after BG2, Icewind Dale, type suggestions. I'd like something reasonably light akin to Final Fantasy type series.

You're not going to find much on the PC then unless you dig really old or emulate console games. Square did a bang up port of The Last Remnant which made a mediocre console game pretty good. Anachronox is old but a favorite of mine. It's a console style RPG set in a Douglas Adams-esque galaxy with talking planets, superheroes, and clockwork worlds. Really great writing, probably the most inventive script I've seen in an RPG but it has pacing issues and ends on a frustrating cliffhanger.

Septerra Core is basically JRPG: The PC game. Another oldie with odd pacing issues but it wears its influence on its sleeve.

Driftmoon passed under a lot of people's radars. It's a simplistic top down ARPG but with a focus on exploration and world building, almost like Ultima 7-lite.

You may also be interested in the Spiderweb games like Avernum. It's more tabletop-style but the mechanics are light enough that you can play it casually. It's the rare kind of RPG I can put down for months then instantly know what I was doing when I pick it up again.

e: Ooh, Shadowrun Returns might be up your alley.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Xeras posted:

Have you played Fallout: New Vegas? The way you fill out your map slowly finding stuff sounds like what you would like. Eventually you hoard enough stuff to become like the richest guy on the planet.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
I'm looking for a game on the PS2 that I can just pop in and chill out to while listening to a podcast after school/work. Something that you can progress in and has some semblance of a story, but not so much that you'd have to divots your full attention to it. I'm considering getting Disgaea 2, but was wondering if there were any other games that would fit that criteria.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pengu! posted:

I'm looking for a game on the PS2 that I can just pop in and chill out to while listening to a podcast after school/work. Something that you can progress in and has some semblance of a story, but not so much that you'd have to divots your full attention to it. I'm considering getting Disgaea 2, but was wondering if there were any other games that would fit that criteria.

This is basically how I played Dragon Quarter, Wild Arms 3 and Alter Code F, and Dark Cloud. They work very well because they have no voiced dialog so you can safely mute the TV and listen to whatever else.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
thats how i play all games, the only game worth your entire focus and attention is god hand

the persona games work when you got a lot of dungeons to get through

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Have you played Fallout: New Vegas? The way you fill out your map slowly finding stuff sounds like what you would like. Eventually you hoard enough stuff to become like the richest guy on the planet.

I went ahead and picked up Ultimate Fallout: New Vegas since it was on sale. Are there any mods I need for a first time playthrough? Edit: Or fanpatches, I guess.

Xeras fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 21, 2014

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Xeras posted:

I went ahead and picked up Ultimate Fallout: New Vegas since it was on sale. Are there any mods I need for a first time playthrough? Edit: Or fanpatches, I guess.

for your first playthrough? absolutely not, the game is brimming with great stories and experiences just have fun exploring the map + beating the game

then come back and turn all the mudcrabs into anime sex slaves

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

for your first playthrough? absolutely not, the game is brimming with great stories and experiences just have fun exploring the map + beating the game

then come back and turn all the mudcrabs into anime sex slaves

I would make a counterpoint in that the JSawyer mod is a small list of fixes made unofficially by the NV Project Director that were never pushed into an official patch. Perhaps the best part in my opinion being that it stops the dlc pack items from being put into your inventory right at a new game and puts them in the wasteland instead. Unless of course you want to have very powerful equipment right away.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Xeras posted:

You'll want the New Vegas Script Extender and CASM. New Vegas has an issue where if the save file gets too big it can corrupt. CASM auto-saves in several slots at frequent intervals which is a godsend for big RPGs.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
edit: nm

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I'm getting ready to trade in my 360 because I also have a PS3 and PC and there doesn't seem to be much reason to keep the 360 around anymore.

Are there any 360-exclusive games that I might regret missing out on? I've played Gears of War 1 (liked it), Fable 2 (meh), and a couple of Halo games (meh). Other than that I feel like most everything I'd want to play is also available on either PC or at least PS3.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Outside of the big series like Halo, not really. The only game I've ever wished I had a 360 for was Shadow Complex.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Parker Lewis posted:

I'm getting ready to trade in my 360 because I also have a PS3 and PC and there doesn't seem to be much reason to keep the 360 around anymore.

Are there any 360-exclusive games that I might regret missing out on? I've played Gears of War 1 (liked it), Fable 2 (meh), and a couple of Halo games (meh). Other than that I feel like most everything I'd want to play is also available on either PC or at least PS3.

How much are you really going to get for a traded in 360?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Parker Lewis posted:

Here's a list of exclusive games although it doesn't contain all the XBLA exclusive titles. My 360 is basically an Arcade machine and I keep it around for when I want to finish Banjo Kazooie and Perfect Dark.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Outside of the big series like Halo, not really. The only game I've ever wished I had a 360 for was Shadow Complex.

Shadow Complex and Red Dead Redemption are pretty much the last 2 games on my list to play through at this point.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

This one will be difficult: I'm looking for a PC game in where after having played 20 hours or so you can look back to your exploits and say "I did this". Typical RPG story of ragtag band of misfits to big drat heroes (getting a castle in BGII, for example) doesn't work because it's something the story does for you. Strategy games are a too hands off, because it isn't you doing the conquering.

Closest I've seen of what I want is the X series.

Mount and Blade is very much a reap-what-you-sow type of game.

edit: beaten

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Wow. The people who recommended I keep going with King of Dragon Pass were right, this game is amazing. There are some little niggling complaints I have. The sheer number of deities and lack of explanation of what they do keeps me in the dark wrt a lot of choices, like picking ring members and sacrificing for boons. The whole trade/alliance/feud system would be easier to grapple with if there weren't so many nebulous clans to deal with. A lot of the diplomacy involving numbers and sacrifices confuse me. At the same time, these issues make you rely on your ring members and it's a treat to see what they have to say about each issue, even though I constantly forget what they're good at/which gods they worship. A real good find overall.

I watched some LP videos of Divinity: Dragon Commander, and while I like a lot of it, I really dislike the Total War-esque map and starcraft-like RTS. While I like decision-making and balancing race relations, the "hot-button issues of modern politics" angle rubs me the wrong way. If it goes low enough on sale I will definitely consider picking it up though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Wow. The people who recommended I keep going with King of Dragon Pass were right, this game is amazing. There are some little niggling complaints I have. The sheer number of deities and lack of explanation of what they do keeps me in the dark wrt a lot of choices, like picking ring members and sacrificing for boons. The whole trade/alliance/feud system would be easier to grapple with if there weren't so many nebulous clans to deal with. A lot of the diplomacy involving numbers and sacrifices confuse me. At the same time, these issues make you rely on your ring members and it's a treat to see what they have to say about each issue, even though I constantly forget what they're good at/which gods they worship. A real good find overall.

I watched some LP videos of Divinity: Dragon Commander, and while I like a lot of it, I really dislike the Total War-esque map and starcraft-like RTS. While I like decision-making and balancing race relations, the "hot-button issues of modern politics" angle rubs me the wrong way. If it goes low enough on sale I will definitely consider picking it up though.

Does the PC version have the in-game codex like the iOS version? You should read it if it does but you should definitely read the manual which has a follow along tutorial.

Play the game until you feel like you can't legitimately progress then read the manual ear to ear. I hope A# does a PC update because the portable versions streamline a lot of unnecessary micromanagement.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Xeras posted:

I would ask that in this thread. In addition to what others have said, New Vegas tends to crash a lot. However there is a mod called New Vegas Anti-Crash that lowers the crashes significantly.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Parker Lewis posted:

Just so you know, there is a Gears of War PC port, and while it's a 1:1 port with basically zero functionality that's not already in the console version, it's a pretty good port all around if you like the game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Parker Lewis posted:

Depending on how you feel about JRPGs, Lost Odyssey maybe? The Xbox port of Conker's Bad Fur day runs beautifully on 360 as well if you can find that.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Fat Samurai posted:

Some descendant of "Pirates!" then, like "Age of Pirates 2" or "Pirates Odyssey"(not sure this one ever got English translation)

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
So I'm playing the gently caress out of Revengeance right now, and was wondering if there were any games in a similar vein gameplay-wise? Preferably something I can pick up via Steam, since I'm limited to just my PC right now.

E: Not specifically Blade Mode or even a hack and slash, but something incredibly fast paced and tactical, with bosses who can and will gleefully gently caress you up. Multiplayer with the same combat is great too!

VVV I really really want Bayonetta, but it flat out has to be PC right now :(

Galick fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 21, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Galick posted:

So I'm playing the gently caress out of Revengeance right now, and was wondering if there were any games in a similar vein gameplay-wise? Preferably something I can pick up via Steam, since I'm limited to just my PC right now.

E: Not specifically Blade Mode or even a hack and slash, but something incredibly fast paced and tactical, with bosses who can and will gleefully gently caress you up. Multiplayer with the same combat is great too!

They're not on Steam, but look up Bayonetta and Vanquish. Both are also made by Platinum games, incidentally.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

Two Finger posted:

Everything I'm about to post is hearsay, BUT, it seemed to hit the sweet spot between a total simulation such as Forza, and an arcadey game like Need For Speed. It did seem to have a good variety of cars as well as driving techniques (races, drifts, etc) and I'm pretty sure upgrading is a definite possibility. I should really play it sometime but in all honesty Forza ruined me on other games because it's just that good.

I agree, same with gran turismo, I bought it and honestly, I like it. It's kinda different, from what I've picked up, there's street racing, there's touring/DTM/BTCC type cars, drifting (maybe, not explored that yet) and open wheel/High performance, low weight. The best way I could explain it so far is you pick teams who give you objectives to complete, kinda like Dirt 3 if you've played it. I'm an hour into GRID and so far, I'd rate it 8/10. It's not boring, it's a huge challange, even on medium, the cars are hard to control, it has awesome physics mechanics and overall it's a pretty game, I'd recommend it.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I'm not much of a power gamer for any game, but my approach to King of Dragon Pass was to expend zero effort trying to understand the under-the-hood mechanics. Listen to your circle, remember the trickster is an rear end in a top hat, and don't play on hard. I was able to win the long game within my first few games with that approach.

The only thing that I really felt screwed by was some of the hero questing. Even with full research, some of the options in those quests are very difficult. But I guess that's sort of the point. It does tend to start a runaway cycle (either positive or negative) when you send your best dude off on a hero quest.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Lewd Mangabey posted:

I'm not much of a power gamer for any game, but my approach to King of Dragon Pass was to expend zero effort trying to understand the under-the-hood mechanics. Listen to your circle, remember the trickster is an rear end in a top hat, and don't play on hard. I was able to win the long game within my first few games with that approach.

The only thing that I really felt screwed by was some of the hero questing. Even with full research, some of the options in those quests are very difficult. But I guess that's sort of the point. It does tend to start a runaway cycle (either positive or negative) when you send your best dude off on a hero quest.

Yeah the only real issue where under the hood mechanics matter at all is during the heroquesting. Because if you send a dude with no combat on the FightLotsOfDudes quest they have a low chance to succeed. However, if it passes then you potentially just buffed their combat like a billion points, if you selected to make them stronger. So it's sort of a risk-reward type of deal. But you can figure that out fairly quickly by just being aware and looking at the before/after stats.

And there are a few spoilery things - like one quest where you're supposed to take a few blows then run away, if you just relentlessly kick the dude's rear end, and win that roll, then your combat gets a billion more points than it would've if you'd passed the quest normally.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Len posted:

This seems like a pretty good place to ask. I'm looking for something on a handheld with a "city building" sort of miniquest. Like how in Suikoden as you recruit people you see your city flesh out, Bravely Default how you can rebuild that city that got destroyed, same minigame in Xenoblade Chronicles.

I like seeing the world kind of change and grow as I play. I don't know how many games like that exist on handhelds so I'm open to all suggestions really but handheld would be ideal.

There are fantastic mods that do this for most Bethesda games. Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, and of course Skyrim.

But be warned, the Skyrim one isn't made by the same guy as the first two, and I haven't tried it. It is fantastic in Fallout 3 and New Vegas though.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Depending on how you feel about JRPGs, Lost Odyssey maybe?

Great suggestion, thanks. I've been warming up to JRPGs lately and remember seeing Lost Odyssey a while back, wanting to play the Mistwalker games, but I forgot to wishlist it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Lost Odyssey was the best Final Fantasy game of the last console generation.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any games for the 360 where choice matters? My girlfriend likes sitting on the couch and watching me play games, and when there's something to do besides kill a room full of dudes she can get involved and have a bit more fun with it.

Not getting Mass Effect. EA can eat a dick for selling a $60 box labeled Mass Effect Trilogy then charging ~$80 if you want all the DLC.

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Len posted:

MGS Peace Walker lets you build Mother Base which I really enjoyed as a mini-game. I also like playing it on PSP more because the micro-levels work better when I'm trying to fall asleep in bed.

To a lesser extent Infinite Space which doesn't have base building but you do recruit a ton of people and assign them to your fleet which triggers that "gotta catch em all" mentality in me.

Robo Reagan posted:

Are there any games for the 360 where choice matters? My girlfriend likes sitting on the couch and watching me play games, and when there's something to do besides kill a room full of dudes she can get involved and have a bit more fun with it.

Not getting Mass Effect. EA can eat a dick for selling a $60 box labeled Mass Effect Trilogy then charging ~$80 if you want all the DLC.

Get any of Telltale's games. Whenever I'm listening to my podcasts and people are talking about The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us it's something along the lines of "My significant other loves this game because they can interject over my shoulder." If you have a PS3 then get Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls. You and your girlfriend can share a laugh as you manhandle the controller to take a shower or torture Ellen Page.