Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Walter posted:

I love how this is all coming because a bunch of D&D posters happen to also like Penn and Teller. Hey, sorry one of the folks you like happens to be an rear end in a top hat with terrible views.

So we need to tolerate Penn's "different opinions?" Okay, what other opinions? Anthropogenic climate change isn't happening? Minimum wage causes massive unemployment and inflation? Cutting unemployment benefits will cause people to go get jobs? Vaccinations are causing autism?

It's interesting how suddenly several folks are preaching tolerance of equally bullshit (and I can't get over how appropriate that term is when used to describe Penn's garbage) and factually suspect opinions of a magician, just because he happens to be entertaining.

Never mind that they're not really distinguishable from many of the same factually inaccurate opinions spouted by a number of other folks who are roundly criticized for those opinions.

Sorry, no. You may like Penn and Teller, you may like their show. But Penn doesn't get a pass for blathering libertarian nonsense just because he can pull a rabbit out of his rear end onstage.

EDIT: Incidentally, Penn has indicated that he subscribes to some tenets of anarcho-capitalism, considers the jury to still be out on anthropogenic climate change, is an Objectivist and follower of Ayn Rand, and a fellow at the CATO Institute. In other words, he is essentially the archetype of the Reddit know-nothing libertarian. There are a few folks who deserve the benefit of the doubt, but not this rear end in a top hat.

No one's giving him a pass for having lovely views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hilbert Spaceship
Mar 15, 2007

If I was dyslexic I'd even hate dog too.

Spacedad posted:

There's also the whole 'tolerance of people with different opinions from your own' thing too. Something which we really should bring to bear more often.

Walter posted:

So we need to tolerate Penn's "different opinions?" Okay, what other opinions? Anthropogenic climate change isn't happening? Minimum wage causes massive unemployment and inflation? Cutting unemployment benefits will cause people to go get jobs? Vaccinations are causing autism?

That's a whole lot of angry cause you're bad at reading.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa-_Fv0Vba0

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

So is 'The president is weak because the USA hasnt turned Russia into a parking lot 72 hours after the Malaysian Airlines flight incident' a thing? I've heard almost the exact same phrasing word for word from 3 different people over the weekend...

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
All this blame on Obama for stuff in other countries is like, I dunno, if Liberal Democrats decided criticize David Cameron for not doing enough about Benghazi.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Assuming everyone here can stop talking about a silly magician that nobody cares about, can someone give me the basics of why the right is blaming Obama for all of these children that are crossing the border and it is his fault, even though the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008 passed without question? I get it that the DREAM act came in '12, but still. All I see is Ted Cruz bashing Obama and telling him to come visit the border (like that matters), and I get it that the right will do anything to blame the president.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Assuming everyone here can stop talking about a silly magician that nobody cares about, can someone give me the basics of why the right is blaming Obama for all of these children that are crossing the border and it is his fault, even though the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008 passed without question? I get it that the DREAM act came in '12, but still. All I see is Ted Cruz bashing Obama and telling him to come visit the border (like that matters), and I get it that the right will do anything to blame the president.

Nope, you got it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Assuming everyone here can stop talking about a silly magician that nobody cares about

We've spent time talking about Adam Carolla of all people. Hackles raised=0

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Mr Hands Colon posted:

What I'd like to know is how are we catching people by the hundreds and yet the border is "not secure". Not secure means we aren't catching anyone.

Spacedad posted:

There's also the whole 'tolerance of people with different opinions from your own' thing too. Something which we really should bring to bear more often.

Son, that poo poo is for hippies.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Speaking of Cruz, expect this to be talked about tomorrow

True Blood meets Ted Cruz

Vampires Eric and his progeny Pam attended a Ted Cruz fundraiser supposedly held at the George W. Bush Presidential Library in Dallas to search for the parents of their enemy, Sarah Newlin.

Trying to blend in, Eric dons a Western-style suit with a bolo instead of a necktie while Pam puts on a purple dress worthy of a gala on either side of the aisle.

But when she catches a glimpse of herself in a mirror, Pam utters a line that would light up Twitter:

"Oh...my...god... I'm a Republicunt"

Then a bloody massacre happens

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

What I'd like to know is how are we catching people by the hundreds and yet the border is "not secure". Not secure means we aren't catching anyone.

There's no catching going on. These kids trying to get across the border are walking right up to border patrol and asking to be let in.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Speaking of Cruz, expect this to be talked about tomorrow

True Blood meets Ted Cruz

Vampires Eric and his progeny Pam attended a Ted Cruz fundraiser supposedly held at the George W. Bush Presidential Library in Dallas to search for the parents of their enemy, Sarah Newlin.

Trying to blend in, Eric dons a Western-style suit with a bolo instead of a necktie while Pam puts on a purple dress worthy of a gala on either side of the aisle.

But when she catches a glimpse of herself in a mirror, Pam utters a line that would light up Twitter:

"Oh...my...god... I'm a Republicunt"

Then a bloody massacre happens

That almost makes me feel bad for not watching True Blood since season 3 or so.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

dreffen posted:

That almost makes me feel bad for not watching True Blood since season 3 or so.

You really shouldn't

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Star Man posted:

There's no catching going on. These kids trying to get across the border are walking right up to border patrol and asking to be let in.

Aren't these kids more refugee, than migrant?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

SedanChair posted:

Rush Limbaugh is an incredibly talented broadcaster, I guess I should tolerate his views.

You know, I'd bet that half of his audience listens to him just to spite the other side. If the media and politicians would just ignore him when he says something, instead of getting all puffed up about it, his influence would deflate like a balloon. So yeah, a little more toleration and less outrage about him would probably be better for the country. But then there's not enough going on in the world to let a 24 hour news cycle go without some manufactured outrage.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

SedanChair posted:

We've spent time talking about Adam Carolla of all people. Hackles raised=0

And a shitton of other celebrities with awful opinions. Hell, even Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert have gone in front of the firing squad.

I have no idea why criticism of Penn struck such a nerve.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Walter posted:

And a shitton of other celebrities with awful opinions. Hell, even Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert have gone in front of the firing squad.

I have no idea why criticism of Penn struck such a nerve.

With the plane crash in Ukraine and the tensions with Russia this weekend has been a replay of right wing and media talking points from march. Boring weekend for this subject matter.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

SedanChair posted:

Rush Limbaugh is an incredibly talented broadcaster, I guess I should tolerate his views.

Penn isn't anywhere near as disingenuous or actively destructive as pundits like Rush, and you know this.

Also, I didn't say 'tolerate his views' I said 'tolerance of other people with different opinions.' Stop being willfully dense and do try to work out this distinction - though both your strawman and my original statement are actually valid, as incorrectly conflating tolerance to mean 'lack of criticism' is a very dangerous road to go down.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jul 21, 2014

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Off topic, but I have a question: what are some of the instances of a nominally liberal media or political figure claiming that all opposition to the President's policies are based on racism? I know that some have claimed certain segments of the opposition to Obama are racist (I believe Obama himself has alluded to this once or twice) and that specific critiques of the President are racist (Gingrich calling Obama the "food stamp president"), but I cannot recall a major liberal figure claiming that all opposition to Obama is ipso facto racist, as many conservatives characterize liberals as doing. Is this characterization based on any incident in particular, or is it fully a result of aggrieved whites preemptively dismissing all criticism of conservative opposition as the product of angry blacks and their effete white allies? Or is it merely part of a larger pathology in American politics whereby racism is always-already gone because slavery/lynching/Jim Crow is not legally sanctioned?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Edible Hat posted:

Or is it merely part of a larger pathology in American politics whereby racism is always-already gone because slavery/lynching/Jim Crow is not legally sanctioned?

Hell, I've had people tell me that since all kinds of races were lynched, hanging a noose can't be racist. And that "not everything is racist" in reference to the stars and bars. A lot of people want to stay as willfully blind to the racists nature of society as possible, so any time it can be explained away they will try. A lot of the anti-Obama stuff from more mainstream (i.e. not freep) sources is like this. Even Drudge just dog whistles instead of actually slurring, because that's where the line for acceptability in society is-- you can be racist as long as you couch it in neutral terms. So of course there's a counter-narrative about anti-Obama racism, because it would force people to actually engage with the issues in a rational way instead of being all about belly-feel.

P.S. Jim Crow was explicitly legally sanctioned. You can't create separate government institutions like schools without it being part of the law.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rkajdi posted:

P.S. Jim Crow was explicitly legally sanctioned. You can't create separate government institutions like schools without it being part of the law.

No, no, that's my point. Racists of each successive generation have dismissed calls for justice because the sin of the previous generation is no longer part of the legal code (i.e. "There is no such thing as racism anymore because legal segregation does not exist, so you have a chip on your shoulder/are stuck in the past/are too nitpicky if you complain") while claiming the present regime with its more subtle barriers to racial equality is the natural order of things or the most egalitarian possible. In America, racism is always-already a thing of the past, a sin of my father that I haven't benefited from, so move on, and by the way, you're the real racist if you bring up race, am I right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Edible Hat posted:

Is this characterization based on any incident in particular, or is it fully a result of aggrieved whites preemptively dismissing all criticism of conservative opposition as the product of angry blacks and their effete white allies? Or is it merely part of a larger pathology in American politics whereby racism is always-already gone because slavery/lynching/Jim Crow is not legally sanctioned?

When Steve Israel says "The the Republican base does have elements that are animated by racism" or Eric Holder says " I don’t think this is the thing that is a main driver, but for some, there’s a racial animus," the GOP base sees that as an attack on the whole, not an attack on a part. They don't hear or forget the "some" because it ain't about nuance here.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

quote:

Also, I didn't say 'tolerate his views' I said 'tolerance of other people with different opinions.'

What's the difference?

Hilbert Spaceship
Mar 15, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

What's the difference?

People are not the opinions they espouse.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Disabled Hitler posted:

Unless their main drive is the propagation of their opinions.

A virus is just a pile of organic bullshit until it decides to make more of itself.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Disabled Hitler posted:

I think they are.

Hilbert Spaceship
Mar 15, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I think they are.

Well then you're a literal child.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I think they are.

What is it like being 7 and posting on a forum?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Disabled Hitler posted:

Could you elaborate on what a person is made of, apart from their opinions and beliefs, which guide their actions and larger life?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Squidster posted:

Could you elaborate on what a person is made of, apart from their opinions and beliefs, which guide their actions and larger life?

I refuse to believe we have to teach you that people are complicated and can hold contradictory opinions, and often will act in opposition to opinions they espouse.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Rexicon1 posted:

A virus is just a pile of organic bullshit until it decides to make more of itself.
Check your biotic privilege

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I refuse to believe we have to teach you that people are complicated and can hold contradictory opinions, and often will act in opposition to opinions they espouse.
Contradictory and incompatible opinions are still opinions! :master: But seriously, we judge people based on their actions and our perceptions of their intentions - that's how humanity works. hth! But also this is the dumbest derail.

I was interested to see Maddow on Friday discussing how unreliable a lot of the reporting on the Ukraine Plane was - she sounded like she had a lot of journalist frustration at people condemning obviously false Russian reporting, while blithely accepting unsubstantiated Ukrainian claims. She still maintains that the pro-russian separatists were responsible, but drew the same conclusion from reputable sources. She's pretty good at this poo poo.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Jesus fuckin Christ, and people wonder why leftists are completely impotent in modern America.

If somebody seems like a cool person, and shares many common interests, passions and political opinions with you but you still just can't fuckin stand 'em because they read an Ayn Rand novel once or something, it's you. You're the rear end in a top hat in this scenario.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

stinkles1112 posted:

Jesus fuckin Christ, and people wonder why leftists are completely impotent in modern America.

If somebody seems like a cool person, and shares many common interests, passions and political opinions with you but you still just can't fuckin stand 'em because they read an Ayn Rand novel once or something, it's you. You're the rear end in a top hat in this scenario.

God I hate defending these idiots because this post is 100% right but there's a pretty huge gap between "Jeff's a nice guy and really funny but he loves Rand so gently caress HIM FOREVER" and "Penn's a pretty good showman but he actively profits off of telling poorly educated people that laws for the disabled are bullshit and global warming is a myth and a bunch of other toxic rear end ideas, that guy's kinda a dick"

Like, who here is demanding we storm his lovely castle house and lynch him, some people said he's a libertarian rear end in a top hat and for some reason a bunch of people went "BUT MAGIC THOUGH" is if one somehow beats the other.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Disabled Hitler posted:

So WBC aren't homophobic hate mongerers, in spite of their views and opinions?

Well shucks I guess I had em all wrong. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

What is it like being 7 and posting on a forum?

Smells better than if I were a liberal with my head rammed right up my sphincter.

Are you two a great example of cognitively dissonant airheaded double think? I think so!

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 21, 2014

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So it begins:

quote:

While HBO's Award winning "True Blood" a popular vampire drama has had a long-running narrative with the bad guys cast as southern conservative politicians, last night's episode took it a step farther, calling Ted Cruz supporters a**holes and offensively referring to conservative woman in eveningware as "republic**ts"

When two of the main characters, vampires Eric Northman and Pam De Beaufort, are planning to crash a fictional fundraiser for Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) held at the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas they are warned “They only let in a**holes.”

While dressing for the event in cowboy hats and Western evening attire Pam De Beaufort says "Oh my God I'm a republic**t"

And finally De Beaufort enters the gala proclaiming "Of all the horrible things I've seen in the last hundred years this could be the most disturbing."

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2014/07/21/HBOs-True-Blood-Offensively-Attacks-Ted-Cruz-And-GOP-Woman

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

This is one of the most bizarre things I've read all day week month year.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Smells better than if I were a liberal with my head rammed right up my sphincter.

This is about as relevant as going full Godwin.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Are you two a great example of cognitively dissonant airheaded double think? I think so!

lol what the gently caress is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

This is about as relevant as going full Godwin.

About as relevant as the made up situation where stinkles1112 got blown off in high school for reading Atlas Shrugged.