Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I was looking at windows tablets initially but reading back in the thread people make some good points about the fact that there are such a small number of apps and how under powered the tablets tend to be for running windows programs I might as well get a netbook or ultrabook for those uses.

So if I want a tablet means I should go for an android instead. I think I deal with google docs well enough.

Is the Nexus 10 still the best 10 inch android tablet currently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The nexus 10 can still be a good value if you get one cheap, but it came out in 2012 and could kind of use a refresh. In particular, it is pretty big and heavy compared to other tablets like the air or the tab s.

Personally I have the 10.5 inch tab s, which I use a comic book reader, and I like it a lot. Not saying it is perfect, but when it comes to screen quality, weight, and thinness, it bests the other 10" android tablets. You have to pay more for it though, and have the downside of relying on samsung for updates. I would suggest reading the anandtech review.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 16, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

So I was looking at windows tablets initially but reading back in the thread people make some good points about the fact that there are such a small number of apps and how under powered the tablets tend to be for running windows programs I might as well get a netbook or ultrabook for those uses.

So if I want a tablet means I should go for an android instead. I think I deal with google docs well enough.

Is the Nexus 10 still the best 10 inch android tablet currently?

If the N7 isn't your style I would probably also recommend one of the new Samsung tabs over the N10.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

If the N7 isn't your style I would probably also recommend one of the new Samsung tabs over the N10.

Picked up a 32gig 10" Tab S from Best Buy today Was $549 open box and I was able to talk the manager into an additional 20% off. Also had $65 in rewards. Felt like I stole the thing.

Jesus Christ the screen is glorious. Do recommend.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

-Blackadder- posted:

Windows surface is a pretty good line as long as you do your research. The Pro series can run PC apps. The RT series can only run apps built for it specifically (the underlying hardware is not x86) but you still get things like office and Netflix. Everyone I know that owns a surface is happy with theirs (sample size 3).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

nelson posted:

Windows surface is a pretty good line as long as you do your research. The Pro series can run PC apps. The RT series can only run apps built for it specifically (the underlying hardware is not x86) but you still get things like office and Netflix. Everyone I know that owns a surface is happy with theirs (sample size 3).

The advantages of RT (battery life, cost) have been pretty much negated the past year or so. There isn't very much reason to get an Windows RT tablet anymore (not that there ever was a reason).

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
On further thought rather than get a new laptop and a new tablet I've switched back to my original position of looking at the Asus Transformer T100 and other detachable tablet/laptop hybrids. There's a "refresh" for the Transformer T100 that just came out that increases the processor speed.

Also looking at the HP Split x2 and Thinkpad Helix.

Anyone else have the T100 and can comment on it?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 21, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

-Blackadder- posted:

On further thought rather than get a new laptop and a new tablet I've switched back to my original position of looking at the Asus Transformer T100 and other detachable tablet/laptop hybrids. There's a "refresh" for the Transformer T100 that just came out that increases the processor speed.

Also looking at the HP Split x2 and Thinkpad Helix.

Anyone else have the T100 and can comment on it?

You'd be better off asking in the Windows 8.1 tablet thread. There's a few T100 owners in there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575393

I bought a Acer Aspire Switch 10 and it's great for the price.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Call Me Charlie posted:

You'd be better off asking in the Windows 8.1 tablet thread. There's a few T100 owners in there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575393

I bought a Acer Aspire Switch 10 and it's great for the price.

Thanks, I'll ask over there as well.

The Aspire Switch 10 was one I was looking at also. Could you talk a bit about your experience with it and the positives and negatives? I heard the battery life was a little on the low side, is it working out for you?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I recently outfitted my house/guest room with Chromecasts, so I'm looking for a cheap tablet to use as a 'remote' for guests (and myself when I'm charging my phone etc). It doesn't need to be big, so 7 inches is fine. It doesn't need to have LTE, or cameras, or a nice screen. What I do need is a really long battery life.

I'd prefer something cheap. While my budget is flexible, something under $200 is preferred, and really something under $100 is what I want (lol).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rurutia posted:

I recently outfitted my house/guest room with Chromecasts, so I'm looking for a cheap tablet to use as a 'remote' for guests (and myself when I'm charging my phone etc). It doesn't need to be big, so 7 inches is fine. It doesn't need to have LTE, or cameras, or a nice screen. What I do need is a really long battery life.

I'd prefer something cheap. While my budget is flexible, something under $200 is preferred, and really something under $100 is what I want (lol).
You should be able to find a 2013 Nexus 7 for under $200 without much of a problem. For sure 2012 ones are there, and even a few on ebay under $100. You're not going to find anything else under $100 worth getting even for that limited use.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

Def one of the N7s, I currently have the newer edition and it works great with Chromecast, especially now that they added the ability to just mirror the screen.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
What tablet would you recommend to replace carrying around music books / charts? I imagine 10" would be the minimum, but the screen ratio needs to be close to A4 as possible, so I am looking at an iPad?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Slimchandi posted:

What tablet would you recommend to replace carrying around music books / charts? I imagine 10" would be the minimum, but the screen ratio needs to be close to A4 as possible, so I am looking at an iPad?

Probably iPad, which I would bet has more app support as well.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
I'm mostly planning to used scanned PDFs so it's really about screen size and ratio to maximise page size.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

You should be able to find a 2013 Nexus 7 for under $200 without much of a problem. For sure 2012 ones are there, and even a few on ebay under $100. You're not going to find anything else under $100 worth getting even for that limited use.

Duckman2008 posted:

Def one of the N7s, I currently have the newer edition and it works great with Chromecast, especially now that they added the ability to just mirror the screen.

Great, thanks!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Slimchandi posted:

I'm mostly planning to used scanned PDFs so it's really about screen size and ratio to maximise page size.
A4 is ~1.41:1, iPads are 1.33:1, Android tablets are 1.6:1 and the Surface Pro 3 is 1.5:1.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

A4 is ~1.41:1, iPads are 1.33:1, Android tablets are 1.6:1 and the Surface Pro 3 is 1.5:1.

I've a Samsung Tab Pro 12" for sale near me, which would be a great screen size. But I only see the Nexus or iPad lines talked about on here. Should I steer clear of Samsung?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
The Samsung tabs tend not to be that great, I think the most recent Tab S line is the only one that's gotten reviews good enough to be worth considering.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Rurutia posted:

Endless Mike posted:

Duckman2008 posted:

You guys signing off on this being a good deal for my situation? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Google...fepn=5335869999

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rurutia posted:

You guys signing off on this being a good deal for my situation? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Google...fepn=5335869999

You don't need the LTE capable unit. Just get the wifi.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7080266-16gb-asus-nexus-7-2nd-gen-7-android-4-3-tablet-refurbished-119-99-after-50-rebate-free-shipping-newegg-com

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rurutia posted:

That's a good deal, but I doubt you need 32 GB and LTE for something you're using to send Netflix videos around on. A 16 GB wifi-only model will be under $200.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Damnit, didn't see that one while it was alive.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rurutia posted:

Damnit, didn't see that one while it was alive.

Ah, didn't see it was dead, sorry.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
It's fine. I'm going to be the goon in the well and pick up this offer:

https://www.facebook.com/Newegg/posts/10152589499844168

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rurutia posted:

It's fine. I'm going to be the goon in the well and pick up this offer:

https://www.facebook.com/Newegg/posts/10152589499844168

Another deal for you:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/07/25/deal-alert-refurbished-2013-nexus-7-just-129-returns-ebay-daily-deals/

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

I actually just picked that up too.

I'll probably just sell whichever one I like less.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
So I left my Nexus 7 on a train. Welp.

Should I just order another, or is there something better out now?

I mostly just use it for watching videos and using the wifi in airports, so the N7 seemed to do well in that regard. I know there's the N10 but I don't feel like paying extra money for a tiny bit more screen real estate.

David Mountford
Feb 16, 2012

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The Surface Pro 3 is a good choice if you're willing to spend laptop rather than tablet dollars on your purchase. The 12" 1440p display is pretty stellar for reading pdfs and you get the added bonus of a full Windows 8.1 machine with a great stylus for annotating the documents if you need to. I purchased one of these recently to replace my old laptop and have been nothing but pleased with it so far.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GregNorc posted:

So I left my Nexus 7 on a train. Welp.

Should I just order another, or is there something better out now?

I mostly just use it for watching videos and using the wifi in airports, so the N7 seemed to do well in that regard. I know there's the N10 but I don't feel like paying extra money for a tiny bit more screen real estate.

Yeah, there were links about a page back to low cost refurbished N7s. They really have come down in price (not that they were much to begin with), so just getting another one is smart.

No new N7 on the horizon that anyone knows of.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I'm thinking of buying myself a Nexus 7 for my birthday in a few weeks in place of a new personal smartphone (right now I have an iPhone 5S from work for work stuff, and a little cheap piece of plastic throwaway prepaid phone for private stuff). The vast majority of my time is spent in places where I have access to local wifi (namely home and work), though there are occasions when I don't. My average commute to and from work on the train is 5 minutes, unless I take the tram, when it becomes 10-15. If I don't plan on immediately getting a data plan from a local carrier here in Germany, is it worth the extra 80 euro to get the LTE model N7 instead of sticking with the wifi-only model? Basically I'd be dropping the money on the possibility of maybe one day getting a data plan on it, depending on my needs. Honestly the only thing I would want mobile data for is the convenience of being able to check my Twitter/IRC/Facebook/Jabber/etc while out for coffee or shopping, or pull up a Wikipedia page during my brief moments on public transport or while out and about.

I guess what I'm really asking is how many of you have bought a tablet with data included and then came to find later that you pretty much... never use the data, at least with any regularity to make it a major issue?

Drone fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 28, 2014

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Drone posted:

So I'm thinking of buying myself a Nexus 7 for my birthday in a few weeks in place of a new personal smartphone (right now I have an iPhone 5S from work for work stuff, and a little cheap piece of plastic throwaway prepaid phone for private stuff). The vast majority of my time is spent in places where I have access to local wifi (namely home and work), though there are occasions when I don't. My average commute to and from work on the train is 5 minutes, unless I take the tram, when it becomes 10-15. If I don't plan on immediately getting a data plan from a local carrier here in Germany, is it worth the extra 80 euro to get the LTE model N7 instead of sticking with the wifi-only model? Basically I'd be dropping the money on the possibility of maybe one day getting a data plan on it, depending on my needs. Honestly the only thing I would want mobile data for is the convenience of being able to check my Twitter/IRC/Facebook/Jabber/etc while out for coffee or shopping, or pull up a Wikipedia page during my brief moments on public transport or while out and about.

I guess what I'm really asking is how many of you have bought a tablet with data included and then came to find later that you pretty much... never use the data, at least with any regularity to make it a major issue?

I had the same questions myself a couple of years ago which I solved by getting an unlocked 3G N7 and a plan that bills me for actual call/text/data usage only, so I only get billed for the times I use network data.

Does any carrier where you live offer such an option?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

anakha posted:

I had the same questions myself a couple of years ago which I solved by getting an unlocked 3G N7 and a plan that bills me for actual call/text/data usage only, so I only get billed for the times I use network data.

Does any carrier where you live offer such an option?

The closest that I know of would be just a prepaid SIM card with like 500MB-1GB on it, with no monthly obligation. There's a couple carriers that do 1-3GB per month with no contractual requirement, otherwise everything is through the major carriers.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I have a Samsung Series 7 Chronos Ultrabook that I love, it's a pretty sweet deal. However, the semester is fast approaching and I've been in the market for a tablet for book-reading, note-taking, and general portability for when I don't want to bust out my laptop. Problem is I haven't found a product on the market that fits my needs exactly. The Surface Pro 3 does a bit too much but I LOVE the feel of the pen. The Samsung Note Pro 12.2 has design issues and has a slightly worse pen situation going for it, without being all that much cheaper than a Surface Pro. I played with an iPad mini the other day, and it was OK but had the shittiest stylus interaction of them all.

Breakdown of how my options look to me. I'm eliminating iPad because it is too expensive for not having good stylus options. Let me know if I'm wrong here, by all means.

Surface Pro 3 (mainly considering i5 version):
PROS:
-Power out the wazoo
-Design is sleek
-Pen/drawing/doodling feels amazing
-Full fledged OS
CONS:
-Very Expensive
-Infringes on my current laptop's range of uses a bit
-Type Case seems very necessary, but the keyboard design seems a little lovely and its very expensive on top of an already expensive device
-Windows Apps probably aren't the greatest (not a huge concern for me)

Summary:
Basically what I want except I already have a laptop. If I felt like I could get away with one with type case for 700 or so then this would be my choice. As it is I don't know if I can justify carrying around a laptop and this thing, plus the keyboard kinda sucks.

Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 (let me know if the older 10 is a serious contender)
PROS:
-Power
-Pen/drawing is pretty good
-Screen is pretty and large
CONS:
-Pretty drat expensive
-Design seems a little off compared to the Surface

Summary:
This one was leading the charge for a while for me but something feels off about the design. Its approaching the price of the lower end Surface Pros but doesn't necessarily feel like the sexy piece of hardware that the Surface does, the pen it comes with feels much more dinky, and its made of plastic instead of metal. At a refurbished 540 or so from Amazon, it may be worth it however.

Nexus 7
Pros:
-Great Value
Cons:
-Doesn't seem to have the features or performance that I want
-Small screen

Summary: Wasn't considering this until earlier today when I checked out engadget's tablet section and it got mentioned as the best value. I think if it at least 9 inches with better pen/stylus capability, I would definitely grab it.

Bonus question:
I'm a bit ignorant of the technology behind touchscreens and their relationship with stylus'-- is the smoother/better interaction with stylus in the NotePro and Surface primarily due to technology in the screen itself, in the stylus, or a combination of both?

Sorry if this is super rambling.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
You'll hate yourself on the Nexus 7. Definitely just get the Surface Pro 3. OneNote changed my life in university.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Surface Pros and Galaxy Notes use active digitizers, which are much more accurate for stylus use than most tablets (to include iPads and Nexus tablets) which lack them.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Ok. I wonder how I ended up needing the most expensive tablet. How weak is the i3 going to be?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

For taking notes and reading books? Beyond adequate.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

an skeleton posted:

Ok. I wonder how I ended up needing the most expensive tablet. How weak is the i3 going to be?

From the benchmarks I've looked at, the i3 is only worth getting if you don't really want to use it for much laptop uses. (So basic notetaking, a few web tabs open, music, metro video.)

I'd consider getting rid of your ultrabook and getting the i5, personally. But if you want to carry around both, the i3 should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Should be fine for watching videos too, no?