Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It's had an impact on their strength, but they don't have any serious competitors within Lebanon, especially in the South, so I don't think it'll affect much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rogue0071 posted:

Requesting help from Israel to directly fight IS would be a good way to give IS massively more recruits.

I think if they got to that point it'd be a multi-state alliance of emergency status. Neighboring states aren't going to just stand aside and let ISIS through because they already have seen what happens when one outlives their utility, and it isn't like they have any interest in allowing caliphate-style control of entire regions as IS passes through, since that would be the end result.

I don't think they're going to immediately go to Netanyahu and ask for a battalion of Merkavas as soon as they see ISIS come across their border.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

tsa posted:

While the subject is up, are there any estimates or good articles on how weakened (if at all) Hezbollah is from actions in Syria with respect to southern Lebanon? I know they didn't even need to call up reserves in 06, so it would seem that it might not hurt them that much but I haven't seen much written about it.

I think their credibility is affected more than their military strength. Before this they could fairly credibility retain the title of "self defense force" against Israel. But backing Assad has surely made them many enemies.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Volkerball posted:

I haven't read too much about ISIS in Iraq from the end of the Iraq War until Mosul. If anyone knows a good article that talks about the history of the situation in Fallujah, Ramadi, Baghdad suburbs, etc, feel free to post it.

Very short version: ISIS has been involved in Iraq for a while. The core of the group's leadership is mostly Iraqis who fought the Americans during the occupation, so they always had an eye on the homeland. In 2013 they began to increase their number attacks, focusing on breaking arrested militants out of military jails. The most noteworthy raid was on Abu Gharib. Most of these escaped militants joined ISIS. The broke hundreds out there and killed dozens of guards. In early 2014 they drove the Iraqi Army out of Fallujah. The Iraqi Army tried to counterattack, but failed to retake Fallujah. Since then they settled into lobbing shells into Fallujah and bombing the town. This was an early sign that the Iraqi armed forces were in bad shape, but no one acted to change anything. The ISIS slowly began to exert control over a lot of Anbar. Then the recent offensive caused the Iraqi Army around Mosul to crumble away, and as a result the vast majority of Sunni Iraq is out of government hands.

New Division fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 21, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Count Roland posted:

I think their credibility is affected more than their military strength. Before this they could fairly credibility retain the title of "self defense force" against Israel. But backing Assad has surely made them many enemies.

As a local resident, they've lost a lot of their political clout I'd say. Not nearly as unanimously followed as before.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Hollismason posted:

So Isis is crushing the other rebel groups against Bashar because..??

Okay, sorry I don't understand the situation fully any other links to a break down would be appreciated.

Rebel group are just gangs, they want control of land and people to obtain tribute to sustain themselves.

This is why you choose to fight rather than do backbreaking work and pray for a good harvest; loot. Other rebels are easier than the government.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

HGH posted:

As a local resident, they've lost a lot of their political clout I'd say. Not nearly as unanimously followed as before.

Can you elaborate? Are they getting more poo poo from other Shia like Amal than usual? Or just strictly more sectarian divide ramped up to 11?

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/perspective/2014/07/20/Is-Iraq-s-Kurdish-region-outside-of-ISIS-calculus-.html

A senior US diplomat says that the forces arrayed against the Iraqi government are 10% ISIS, 20% Baathists, and 70% Sunni tribes.

The article also states that the Peshmerga's alliance with several Sunni tribes inside Kirkuk and Kurdistan provides a powerful mediating force between them and ISIS.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
Whats the low-down on these baathist fellows? What do they want, a return of the Saddam era?

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2014/07/18/233786/islamic-state-overwhelms-iraqi.html

That Iraqi base near Tikrit that fell to ISIS? The Iraqi Army lost hundreds of guys there alongside 8 helicopters, with many being captured, paraded through Tikrit, then executed. It was a mix of Iraqi Special Forces and Iraqi Army allegedly totaling ~700 men along with ~150 Shiite militia auxiliaries. That's nearly a thousand guys. Funny thing is that the article claims that the loss of those 8 helicopters is "crippling" but not the loss of nearly a thousand men.

goatse.cx posted:

Whats the low-down on these baathist fellows? What do they want, a return of the Saddam era?

Something like that. Secular Arab nationalist regime, although they are probably a bit more Islamist nowadays than Saddam would have cared for.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wam11xpHeAo

Ajil al-Ahli Hospital in Tikrit destroyed by air strikes.

Sergg fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 21, 2014

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
I think McClatchy was premature, since activists reported ongoing fighting there yesterday and WSJ is now saying government forces are in full control. It's basically Baiji refinery all over, but it remains apparent either way that ISIS hit the base pretty ferociously and inflicted heavy losses.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
What's going on in Afghanistan? I haven't seen anything related to it in the news in a long time.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

The Good Professor posted:

What's going on in Afghanistan? I haven't seen anything related to it in the news in a long time.

There's going to be an election soon and the two sides are squabbling over stuff like monitors and making sure it's fair. It's cooled down now in terms of the election and things will likely stay quiet till the election itself.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Good Professor posted:

The horrors of Afghanistan are kinda horror-lite when in comparison to what ISIS has been up to for the last 2 months so they've fallen out of the spotlight.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

blowfish posted:

:gonk:

Seriously, why would you even do that?

Even beyond the obvious ethical violations, was there any logical reason for them to do that to someone who willingly sent themselves as an envoy?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've open the beta of my new site Bellingcat up for free access for the next 48 hours, here's some Syria pieces I've done
Evidence of a New Chemical Attack in Syria
Volcanoes in Damascus
August 21st – The Rebels Did It!
New Heavy Short Range Rockets Deployed By Pro-Syrian Government Forces
Identifying Government Positions During The August 21st Sarin Attacks

I've also got a bunch of podcasts, as well as case studies and guides for budding open source investigators.

More info on Bellingcat is on the Kickstarter page.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ChaosSamusX posted:

Even beyond the obvious ethical violations, was there any logical reason for them to do that to someone who willingly sent themselves as an envoy?

Well, ISIS seems to have gone all in on the terror tactics approach. Horribly torturing an envoy in cold blood could therefore be construed as sending a message that negotiation isn't going to cut it and that surrender, flight or fighting to the death are the only options when facing ISIS. ISIS would be banking on people choosing the first two options in this case, and discounting the initial pushback in January it seems to have worked out for them.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Shadoer posted:

There's going to be an election soon and the two sides are squabbling over stuff like monitors and making sure it's fair. It's cooled down now in terms of the election and things will likely stay quiet till the election itself.

Er, the election already happened (in fact, they went to a runoff) and Abdullah Abdullah is alleging (again) fraud, which is probably true.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

ThirdPartyView posted:

Er, the election already happened (in fact, they went to a runoff) and Abdullah Abdullah is alleging (again) fraud, which is probably true.

I thought they were still tallying the votes and going through a bunch of procedural stuff?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Shadoer posted:

I thought they were still tallying the votes and going through a bunch of procedural stuff?

Abdullah Abdullah threatened to refuse to not recognize the initial vote (which had Ghani 'magically' go up 20% of the vote from the initial vote, winning the runoff) with a bunch of warlords backing him. Kerry basically begged him to accept a third party recount (since the head of the electoral commission was accused of being in Ghani's pocket and resigned shortly thereafter), which he agreed to.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

ThirdPartyView posted:

Abdullah Abdullah threatened to refuse to not recognize the initial vote (which had Ghani 'magically' go up 20% of the vote from the initial vote, winning the runoff) with a bunch of warlords backing him. Kerry basically begged him to accept a third party recount (since the head of the electoral commission was accused of being in Ghani's pocket and resigned shortly thereafter), which he agreed to.

Ok I'm then kind of behind, I guess then that recount is still happening.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

MothraAttack posted:

I think McClatchy was premature, since activists reported ongoing fighting there yesterday and WSJ is now saying government forces are in full control. It's basically Baiji refinery all over, but it remains apparent either way that ISIS hit the base pretty ferociously and inflicted heavy losses.

I can't find anything about Speicher Air Base in Google news or Twitter other than that it was totally overrun and the defenders massacred.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Elijah Magnier and some others doubted the McClatchy account when it appeared, and here is the WSJ's take. Of course they're gambling on the reliability of their government sources in a war where both sides have made some dubious claims. I don't know that either side can prove it one way or another at the moment.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Can journalists use drones to collect footage in these contested areas? It can't be that expensive to get a video camera aloft and give it some GPS coordinates these days.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Can journalists use drones to collect footage in these contested areas? It can't be that expensive to get a video camera aloft and give it some GPS coordinates these days.

I don't know about you, but if I were a fighter in a combat zone and saw a drone that I knew didn't belong to my side, I'd loving shoot it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't know about you, but if I were a fighter in a combat zone and saw a drone that I knew didn't belong to my side, I'd loving shoot it.

Strapping a gopro to an entry-level model airplane isn't that expensive.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Holy poo poo just caught up on this thread and I am so loving glad I live in the West. As selfish as that sounds I've never checked my goddamn privilege more.

Sorry if I missed it in all the links and horrific torture pictures posted, but who the gently caress is actually fighting for Isis? Who are these blokes? Disaffected youths who were like 10-14 in 2003?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Lord Twisted posted:

Holy poo poo just caught up on this thread and I am so loving glad I live in the West. As selfish as that sounds I've never checked my goddamn privilege more.

Sorry if I missed it in all the links and horrific torture pictures posted, but who the gently caress is actually fighting for Isis? Who are these blokes? Disaffected youths who were like 10-14 in 2003?

A lot of people are fighting ISIS, a few groups effectively. The Iraqi army is not one of them, since it has morphed into largely a sectarian militia. The best bet is for ISIS to lose the support of the sunnis in Iraq for whom the choice between Maliki's Shi'ite government and Sunni fundamentalists wasn't too difficult, but rifts have been growing since ISIS rolled into town and set up a beheading booth.

ISIS is made up of nihilists and sociopaths. This is not hyperbole. Al-Qaeda told them to tone it down a notch and they refused.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Bunch of nihilist jihadists huh? New breed I guess.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Which gives the journalist something interesting to show on the evening news/youtube.

re: Afghanistan. There was a huge bombing in Kabul last week. A few days later Karzai's convoy was ambushed somewhere in the east of the country, killing some peeps. General violence is pretty high, with I believe violence having increased from recent years. And yeah the mediation/re-count/re-election whatever is still ongoing. This is the second time Abdullah Abdullah has been on the receiving end of a (probably fraudulent) loss.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Count Roland posted:

Bunch of nihilist jihadists huh? New breed I guess.

That's how Dexter Filkins put it.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Brown Moses posted:

More info on Bellingcat is on the Kickstarter page.
I funded you. Will you be doing anything on unstructured data analysis using non-open source tools in the future?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Kafka Esq. posted:

I funded you. Will you be doing anything on unstructured data analysis using non-open source tools in the future?

I've got two larger projects in the works at the moment, one is to use Meedan's Checkdesk verification tool on the site, dedicating part of it to crowdsourcing verification of social media content, etc, which is already proving useful in Ukraine and Gaza this week. Next we're trying to put together a project with the OCCRP and Hacks/Hackers to use open source databases to track corrupted businesses in Europe. We had a short trial of this, and it was very effective, so we're hoping we can get funding to do this full time. There's a brief write up on it here, with some sexy gifs like this

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Volkerball posted:

Oh Malaysian Airlines. :v:
Cross-post from Eastern Europe thread. Are there any non-government parties in Syria that have this within their reach?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

kalstrams posted:

Cross-post from Eastern Europe thread. Are there any non-government parties in Syria that have this within their reach?

There's a bunch of MANPADs floating around, but Syrian helicopters are generally safe, so I doubt any jihadist or opposition group has the capability to take down on of those flights without getting something new from their sponsors. However, the regime has anti-aircraft weapons that have shot down a Turkish jet for one. I don't believe they've shot down any transport planes at all, but it still seems a bit reckless, especially in the immediate aftermath of MH17, to be flying commercial flights over warzones.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Volkerball posted:

There's a bunch of MANPADs floating around, but Syrian helicopters are generally safe, so I doubt any jihadist or opposition group has the capability to take down on of those flights without getting something new from their sponsors. However, the regime has anti-aircraft weapons that have shot down a Turkish jet for one. I don't believe they've shot down any transport planes at all, but it still seems a bit reckless, especially in the immediate aftermath of MH17, to be flying commercial flights over warzones.

Poke around on flight aware for a bit, theres a ton of flights going through Syria and Iraq right now.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

kalstrams posted:

Maybe. The FSA has/had a 9K33 Osa that showed up a few times. Depending on the version that could be anywhere from a 5000-12000m engagement ceiling.

But to be fair each time it appears it's chucking missiles at low flying jets in the process of bombing poo poo or barrel-bombing helicopters. Standard air-defense type things rather than taking potshots at "whatever that is flying way up there".

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 21, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Anybody here who follows the developments on the front lines closely know exactly what's going on in Damascus? I don't keep up with maps or individual battles very well, but it seems that the opposition is making more gains there than at any point throughout the rest of the war. Fighting had always been contained to the suburbs before, correct?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

ISIS wants to circumcise women now.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Xandu posted:

ISIS wants to circumcise women now.

Oh come the gently caress on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe