Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

confonnit posted:

Looking for a good birthday dinner recommendation. We currently have reservations for St. Cecelia but my girlfriend is worried it might be a little stuffy - any opinions about this place or others welcome. We will be in Buckhead but will travel for the right place.

Do you have any particular preferences? We know Buckhead backwards and forwards. Last year, we did my birthday at Seven Lamps; it was pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Landrobot posted:

Do you have any particular preferences? We know Buckhead backwards and forwards. Last year, we did my birthday at Seven Lamps; it was pretty awesome.

Not anything particular, just wondering if there's any new or interesting restaurants that would make for a good date night. Lusca has been recommended along with Miller Union, and our preference would be for something more casual and less "nice", if that makes any sense.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

I ate at Taqueria Del Sol last week and I am not sure I see what all the fuss (or line) is all about. The Shrimp Corn Chowder was fantastic but my fish taco and chicken enchilada were really disappointing. The masa on the fish was too thick and too dry and for a taco with jalapenos it was kinda' bland. The lemon sauce on my enchilada was good but the enchilada itself was underwhelming and the chicken was a little overcooked.

However, I ate a Penang Malaysian on Buford and it was amazing. There is a Scoutmob for it and I don't think there was a bad dish on the menu. My favorite was the Nasi Lemak and the Mee Hoon. I think this would be a good place for a goon meet.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I've never understood Taqueria Del Sol. Good enough food, but why the hell is there a line out the door?!? :iiam:

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
Wife and I are moving from Dallas to Sandy Springs to be closer to my work (in Buckhead). I'm glad we're finally going to be able to live somewhere with food options that don't have a drive-thru.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

confonnit posted:

Not anything particular, just wondering if there's any new or interesting restaurants that would make for a good date night. Lusca has been recommended along with Miller Union, and our preference would be for something more casual and less "nice", if that makes any sense.

Bocca Lupo, if you can get a reservation.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

venutolo posted:

I've never understood Taqueria Del Sol. Good enough food, but why the hell is there a line out the door?!? :iiam:

^^^^ this. First time I went, we waited nearly 45 minutes for some blah food. I never went back.

I think Atlantans are terribly starved for unique chef prepared Mexican food that's slightly Americanized to our palettes, as this is one of the only options available. We do have good authentic cheap places though. But, I've yet to have mind numbingly excellent Chinese or Mexican food here in Atlanta.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Have you not been to Tasty China II?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Tasty China > Tasty China II :colbert:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I thought they were both pretty darn good. I've been to Tasty China more often, so maybe it's just contempt of the familiar.

e. Does Tasty China II have the dry fried eggplant? 'Cause if not, then you're right.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

confonnit posted:

Looking for a good birthday dinner recommendation. We currently have reservations for St. Cecelia but my girlfriend is worried it might be a little stuffy - any opinions about this place or others welcome. We will be in Buckhead but will travel for the right place.

"stuffy" is an understatement. and I don't mean that their food is pretentious, or service amazing. it's just a loving lovely ford fry restaurant. avoid at all costs - you're paying to feel like you're eating good food at a trendy place - but the price is really the only thing driving this perception. average food, not really trendy by any measure other than "hey it's a ford fry restaurant".

gently caress ford fry.

just go to bacchanalia if you haven't been. it's relatively cheap for the food quality, consistently solid (even if they don't change their menu that substantially), a big name place, you can't go wrong. I'll be going for my next special occasion - it's good poo poo.

kimball house oyster happy hour is also a 'cant go wrong' thing. their actual food is hit or miss in my opinion, but $1.25-2 specialty oysters is a bargain. order 60 of them, get a giant 3 tier tower, snap some photos, have a birthday to remember.

venutolo posted:

I can't agree with this more. I actively dislike the place. everything is fried, the margaritas suck, you gotta pay like $5 for chips+salsa that aren't really that good - I just don't get it. Everyone I know who likes it is a tech student who went there as like a 'fancy night out' on friday or whatever, because we were all poor and college students and it was better than willies or whatever.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 22, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
in breaking atlanta food news

http://atlantarestaurants.blog.ajc.com/2014/07/21/chef-asha-gomez-confirms-cardamom-hill-closing/

so, I've met her a couple times IRL. I wanted to rent out her event space in the studioplex a couple months ago, which turned out to be way too expensive to do what I wanted to do. But, I think after meeting her in person to talk about that (and it going... kind of weirdly), and her every-smiley, always hugging everyone cheek-to-cheek uplifting facebook posts and photos, I’m over it. Pretty sure she’s just manipulative and insecure? I could just be being really harsh though.

And I've had some pretty serious complaints about some dishes at cardamom hill - and I went to the georgia organics tomatofest last weekend, where her dish was pretty overly forgettable. And her explanation - closing because you have too many customers? Not re-opening in a new space immediately because you’re “not ready for it”?

Hurrrrrmph. I don’t buy it. :)

(sorry I'm in internet trolly food critic mindphlux mode, I know I'm being harsh as poo poo atm)

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

That's kind of the vibe we were getting from St. Cecelia so it's good to have it confirmed.

Bacchanalia is awesome but way more than we want to do food wise that night. Any opinions on Better Half?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

confonnit posted:

That's kind of the vibe we were getting from St. Cecelia so it's good to have it confirmed.

Bacchanalia is awesome but way more than we want to do food wise that night. Any opinions on Better Half?

mindphlux hates on Ford Fry, so take his opinion with a big grain of salt. I loathe Buckhead, but I'd be happy enough to eat there. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't say it was a bad choice.

Skip Better Half. I've been a few times and it is only okay. I like what they're trying to do, but they don't really achieve it. Most of the dishes I feel like they're trying to do to much or get too fancy with it, and should tone it back to get a solid dish. The kitchen is really small, and can't produce many dishes at once, so you can end up with a very disjoint meal where the times between ordering, getting a starter, getting an entree, and getting a dessert can be very uneven. I really want to like the place and hope they get better, but I would not recommend it.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

smilingfish posted:

Wife and I are moving from Dallas to Sandy Springs to be closer to my work (in Buckhead). I'm glad we're finally going to be able to live somewhere with food options that don't have a drive-thru.

Dude.... Aladdin's Mediterranean Grill on Atlanta St. Get the kebab sampler and thank me later.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I haven't had a chance to visit St. Cecilia, but I also think Ford Fry restaurants are massively overrated.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Thanks for all the opinions and recommendations...still having trouble making a final decision with all the great options but I feel much more prepared to do so.

I totally agree with everyone on Taqueria del Sol. I don't love or hate it, it's just ok. I've been pretty disappointed with the Mexican food options in general since moving back here, to the point that the first place we plan on eating in Chicago when we go for a wedding is our (former) neighborhood taco joint.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Go to Empire State South.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

mindphlux hates on Ford Fry, so take his opinion with a big grain of salt. I loathe Buckhead, but I'd be happy enough to eat there. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't say it was a bad choice.

Skip Better Half. I've been a few times and it is only okay. I like what they're trying to do, but they don't really achieve it. Most of the dishes I feel like they're trying to do to much or get too fancy with it, and should tone it back to get a solid dish. The kitchen is really small, and can't produce many dishes at once, so you can end up with a very disjoint meal where the times between ordering, getting a starter, getting an entree, and getting a dessert can be very uneven. I really want to like the place and hope they get better, but I would not recommend it.

VENUTOLO HATES ON 'MINDPHLUX', SO TAKE HIS OPINION WITH A BIG GRAIN OF SALT

hehe :) - no but I agree about better half. for me, they missed the food mark so badly, and service was so horrible while I was there that I don't even feel any need to ever go back. :( sorry dudes.

I'll agree with empire state south as a recommendation.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

mindphlux posted:

in breaking atlanta food news

http://atlantarestaurants.blog.ajc.com/2014/07/21/chef-asha-gomez-confirms-cardamom-hill-closing/

so, I've met her a couple times IRL. I wanted to rent out her event space in the studioplex a couple months ago, which turned out to be way too expensive to do what I wanted to do. But, I think after meeting her in person to talk about that (and it going... kind of weirdly), and her every-smiley, always hugging everyone cheek-to-cheek uplifting facebook posts and photos, I’m over it. Pretty sure she’s just manipulative and insecure? I could just be being really harsh though.

And I've had some pretty serious complaints about some dishes at cardamom hill - and I went to the georgia organics tomatofest last weekend, where her dish was pretty overly forgettable. And her explanation - closing because you have too many customers? Not re-opening in a new space immediately because you’re “not ready for it”?

Hurrrrrmph. I don’t buy it. :)

(sorry I'm in internet trolly food critic mindphlux mode, I know I'm being harsh as poo poo atm)

More breaking Atlanta food news:
http://www.decaturish.com/2014/07/doh-brick-store-flunks-health-inspection/

Cardamom Hill.... uggh I'm REALLY into Indian cuisine, so I was very excited to go to CH. The entire meal experience was terrible. Like, really bad. I won't go over the details (unless you really want minuscule details), but it was a 'never go back' kind of experience from both the food and service. I heard this from others that went there too, that it was not fun on all levels. I totally get what you mean by that weird vibe from Asha too. I think you nailed it with your gifted psychological intuition! But now you can see her all the time at the Krog Market!

I know we're all non-Ford Fry fans here, including me, but his no.246 restaurant (next to Leon's in Decatur) was surprisingly excellent. Our group went there a few weeks ago. I only hated the fact it was loud as hell, but the food was spot on. Drinks were perfect too. It definitely put King Duke, Optimist, etc all to shame (it was much smaller too, a plus in my book). I'd go back and enjoy the food for sure. Can't say the same about all the other places he owns.

I still don't get why Atlantans love these large loud restaurants.

Lenox has a few new places that are pretty good too: True Food and Zin Burger. pretty good for the money!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Personally, I'm neutral on Ford Fry. I very much like 246 (porchetta sandwich!) and like The Optimist. King + Duke is a miss for me. I have no opinions of his other places.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Landrobot posted:

More breaking Atlanta food news:
http://www.decaturish.com/2014/07/doh-brick-store-flunks-health-inspection/

Cardamom Hill.... uggh I'm REALLY into Indian cuisine, so I was very excited to go to CH. The entire meal experience was terrible. Like, really bad. I won't go over the details (unless you really want minuscule details), but it was a 'never go back' kind of experience from both the food and service. I heard this from others that went there too, that it was not fun on all levels. I totally get what you mean by that weird vibe from Asha too. I think you nailed it with your gifted psychological intuition! But now you can see her all the time at the Krog Market!

I know we're all non-Ford Fry fans here, including me, but his no.246 restaurant (next to Leon's in Decatur) was surprisingly excellent. Our group went there a few weeks ago. I only hated the fact it was loud as hell, but the food was spot on. Drinks were perfect too. It definitely put King Duke, Optimist, etc all to shame (it was much smaller too, a plus in my book). I'd go back and enjoy the food for sure. Can't say the same about all the other places he owns.

I still don't get why Atlantans love these large loud restaurants.

Lenox has a few new places that are pretty good too: True Food and Zin Burger. pretty good for the money!

I'll say, I went to 246 for the first time for my brother in law's wedding rehersal lunch. they were super nice and opened on a holiday just for us, despite not planning to otherwise be open. (probably because they paid them an assload of money).

the food was really solid, and the service great. again though, we were the only people in the whole place. still, I'd give 246 another go. don't think that changes my overall feeling towards ford fry restaurants though, I've had too many unforgivable experiences. Like if I named every single restaurant in atlanta that I've had unforgivable food or service experiences in, 30-40% would be ford fry restaurants, which is just crazy.

anyways, glad to hear someone else feels me on the Asha vibe. I want to like her, but she's one of those people where the more I get to know her, the more I think she might just be crazy. sorry to hear your experience went so poorly - I've always had nitpicky things with CH, but never anything unforgivable.

ohwell, industry life is tough. :I

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I went to The General Muir tonight and asked the chef about when his two places at Krog Street Market, Fred's Meat & Bread and Yalla, might open. He said six to eight weeks. A quote on Eater from Eli Kirshtein says his restaurant at Krog Street Market will open in the "next couple of weeks." I'm excited.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

Like if I named every single restaurant in atlanta that I've had unforgivable food or service experiences in, 30-40% would be ford fry restaurants, which is just crazy.

Relevant article.

jokes

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
From http://www.tonetoatl.com/2014/07/urban-pl8-reportedly-dismisses-entire.html

quote:

Urban pL8, the paleo friendly restaurant with a cult-like following on the Westside, reportedly had a serious kitchen catastrophe Sunday afternoon. The restaurant, located on Huff Road not far from Marietta Boulevard, was not accepting new customers as of approximately 1:35 PM Sunday afternoon. A ToNeTo Atlanta reader and patron of Urban Pl8 was one of many diners turned away from the restaurant. According to this reader, something went "haywire in the kitchen" and "the entire kitchen staff was fired on the spot."

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

hehe

I ate there once before I knew what 'paleo' was - or that it was a paleo restaurant. :gonk: I am still amazed that is even a thing.

I had a 'paleo' hash mashup, it was like potatoes and meat and an egg and peppers and poo poo. it was mostly unseasoned and comically bad. some lady at the table next to us was talking really loudly about homeopathic medicine, and when she laughed (she did so quite often), she sounded like a witch. the waiter somehow spilled iced tea on my white shirt, which is stained to this day. I should probably throw it out.

I am sad just having to remember that experience. :(

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

This is too funny not to share:

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Landrobot posted:

This is too funny not to share:

I think several places in Decatur alone used that method.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

antisodachrist posted:

I think several places in Decatur alone used that method.

Scroll through Paper Plane's pictures and it hits all the marks. LOL

https://www.facebook.com/paperplaneatl

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
from http://clatl.com/omnivore/archives/2014/08/04/ugly-burger-pop-up-at-gato-cafe-starts-tomorrow

quote:

Ugly Burger will take over Gato the first three Tuesdays of August, helmed by chef Allen Suh and Josh Feigert. The pop-up's centerpiece will be the pair's imaginative and kooky take on the current (seemingly endless) burger trend. The fictional restaurant concept ran twice in May with so much fanfare that Suh and Feigert, who is also a musician in bands Wymyn's Prysyn and Uniform, decided to bring the "edible good fun" back for the end of summer.

As for the menu, expect things like one single French fry with various sauces including pickle gravy and Hawaiian Punch ketchup. In May, a fun order was the International with a French toast bun, homemade kimchee, Swiss cheese, and Canadian syrup. It was so messy, it came with a side of gloves. For the undaunted, the Frankenstein is a chicken-heart-stuffed 1/3-pound patty that also includes beef liver and veal brains. Vegetarian? Have a fruit salad sandwich: honey-mayo fruit salad on a bun with Fruit Loops. Don't forget a moist salad shot.

I find this utterly amusing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've stopped overnight in Atlanta and ate at The Vortex earlier. Since I'm not far into my tour of the US, how do people find its burgers comparing with elsewhere? I'm here until lunch tomorrow if there are any standouts I should see before moving on

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Jose posted:

I've stopped overnight in Atlanta and ate at The Vortex earlier. Since I'm not far into my tour of the US, how do people find its burgers comparing with elsewhere? I'm here until lunch tomorrow if there are any standouts I should see before moving on

I don't think any of us regularly eat at the Vortex. It's OKAY I guess. It's where all the out of towners seem to wanna go eat at, am i rite guyz?!?

ATL Burger places:

Yeah! Burger
Farm Burger
Flip Burger
H&F loving burger thyme!!!1 :supaburn:
Zin Burger (new at Lenox, it's good, I like it)
I'm sure I'm missing a few

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I can't tell if the last post is trolling or not.

My favorite burgers:
The General Muir (note that the dinner and lunch burgers are different)
Bocado
Grindhouse (Sweet Auburn Market location)

and to a lesser degree:
One Eared Stag
Folk Art
H&F

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

aaaaaa :( I may pass on this one.

I miss james and hot chicken. godspeed in china~~~

venutolo posted:

I can't tell if the last post is trolling or not.

My favorite burgers:
Bocado
Grindhouse (Sweet Auburn Market location)

and to a lesser degree:
One Eared Stag
Folk Art
H&F

I can't tell either :I

I love :

Grindhouse (both locations)
Bocado
H&F

haven't tried folk art, but I liked their other food. gonna give it a go.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 5, 2014

Gunuku
Sep 26, 2007

I'm a goddamn marvel of modern science.
Lipstick Apathy

venutolo posted:

My favorite burgers:

I've only been for lunch - how does the dinner burger differ?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
My favorite burger is at Millers Union. I just randomly saw it on the menu for lunch not looking for a burger, and ordered it on a whim, and it ended up being better than any other's in Atlanta I've tried.(H&F, Yeah, Farm Burger, Flip, Grindhouse)

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Gunuku posted:

I've only been for lunch - how does the dinner burger differ?

from http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/our-top-10-burgers-in-atlanta-georgia.html

quote:

The lunch version of the burger is a pair of thin patties—check out that craggly crust—with a layer of shaved griddled onion in between. On top, melty American, sweet-and-sour pickles, lettuce. Underneath, tangy Russian dressing. All presented on a pillowy onion roll. Every element shines. It's simple, sexy, and sensational.

But at dinner, Ginsberg rolls out an arguably-superior version with Gruyère, caramelized onions, Russian dressing, pickles, and the thick, chewy, fall-apart pastrami that The General Muir has become known for. The pastrami is so good that it's also used as a topping for the poutine: a pile of perfect fries drowning in gravy, cheese curds, and huge chunks of that succulent deli meat. The burger is rave-worthy; the poutine is the stuff of secret food fantasies.

AgentHaiTo posted:

My favorite burger is at Millers Union. I just randomly saw it on the menu for lunch not looking for a burger, and ordered it on a whim, and it ended up being better than any other's in Atlanta I've tried.(H&F, Yeah, Farm Burger, Flip, Grindhouse)

You're not alone. From the same link from above:

quote:

There are plenty of upscale restaurants-with-a-capital-R in town that rock a top-flight burger, but my favorite of the city's white-napkin set comes from Miller Union.

I guess I need to try that next time.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 5, 2014

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I had my mom in town for the last five and half days. We ate good food and now I'm never eating again.

Here's where we went (in order):
Bleu House Market
Empire State South
Chai Pani
Gunshow
Varuni Napoli
The General Muir (dinner)
The General Muir (brunch)
Eat Me Speak Me
Folk Art
Sushi Huku
Community Q

So it has been a good few days. I'm gonna eat Chick-fil-a tonight instead of good food.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Muss & Turner's near Vinings has an awesome burger (get it medium rare), and you can get a good random craft beer to go with it. (Warning: it's a couple thousand feet west of 285, so you'll officially be Outside the Perimeter, but the burger is totally worth being forever unclean... :v: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I had my mom in town for the last five and half days. We ate good food and now I'm never eating again.

Here's where we went (in order):
Bleu House Market
Empire State South
Chai Pani
Gunshow
Varuni Napoli
The General Muir (dinner)
The General Muir (brunch)
Eat Me Speak Me
Folk Art
Sushi Huku
Community Q

So it has been a good few days. I'm gonna eat Chick-fil-a tonight instead of good food.

dude I'm gonna rename your forums account to 'the general muir' if you aren't careful ;)

so what do you normally order at brunch or dinner when you're there? menu favorites?

we had that goonmeet there, and I've been one other time - and the food has been good, don't get me wrong - but just trying to crack your enthusiasm for the place. It seems like a solid upscale jewish-deli type eatery - which is awesome because Atlanta doesn't really have much like that - but on the other hand I personally am finding it hard to get really excited about it.

I'm gonna give it another wholehearted dinnertime go though, because you have good taste and I must be being dumb.

sounds like a loving great (expensive) week of food though, props.