Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Well, back story, I don't think there is anything there we didn't already know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fecha posted:

e: in panel 6 that could be the weird thing imprisoned in Spender?

Possibly, if you look at panel five it's just the closest thing to BL for her visual on the "laundry list of unsolved mysteries". So it's also possibly got a mouth full of teeth and some ram horns? Also looks like there's a sword, a couple other monsters and a seashell.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It does help put things in perspective and straighten out any stray threads, though - and it brings Max somewhat up to speed, even if it hasn't all sunk in with him yet. It's actually kind of interesting how very open BL is being with information compared to Spender, to the point that she seems to be saying all this for her own sake (maybe to assuage some doubts).

So the Cousinhood and the Consortium don't get along, but are tangentially related. They have some kind of prey they hunt, and BL dismisses the idea that said prey could get into Mayview because of the barrier. That prey might be Forge, or it could be the spirit that spoke through Max, and it's already clear the barrier isn't inviolable since both the train and the Doorman can get you through it. Agent Day's got a big mission in Mayview and investigating Spender sounds like only part of it. Agents go missing there, even though there's a lot of them around training with Francisco.

There's a lot going down in that sleepy little town, and Max sounds ready for none of it. I wonder if he'll remember enough of what BL said to pass it on to Isaac later? He might be able to think this stuff through.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fecha posted:

Also "Cousinhood dogs" could be just an insult or literally referring to the dogs on the train. But that makes no sense because they were inside the barrier to begin with, which BL says isn't supposed to be. Also, they are cats.

Also, they're supposedly in more-or-less peaceful contact with the Consortium since, well, they obviously talk to them; but Spender attacked the pixeldogs on sight. No need to go fishing for red herrings.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Is it possible that prey they're talking about is Isaac's storm god? Cuz it appears that BL doesn't know about it and that could be why Spender is keeping Isaac in the dark. Cuz if he would find out and maybe talk to the wrong people, the Cousinhood would start pouring out of the woodwork in attempt to deal with him/his spirit.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Is it possible that prey they're talking about is Isaac's storm god? Cuz it appears that BL doesn't know about it and that could be why Spender is keeping Isaac in the dark. Cuz if he would find out and maybe talk to the wrong people, the Cousinhood would start pouring out of the woodwork in attempt to deal with him/his spirit.

If Isaac is a secret, why bring him to pick up Agent Day?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fecha posted:

"Tangentially" as in supernatural in some separate way to being a spectral? Judging by the sketchy outline we're getting of the Cousinhood (and their Van Helsing look) it would seem they are all about hunting, but considering there are blatantly a zillion ghosts, spectrals, and spirits in Mayview, I have no idea what. Maybe they are hunting special spirits, e.g. gods like the guy in Isaac.

I honestly assumed that the Cousinhood were looking for the pixeldogs (& whatever entity they serve), given the background in panel 2. (The pixeldogs, after all, were not supposed to be on that train...)

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It sounds like(and looks, considering the outfits) that the Cousinhood hunts things outside of spirit spectrum. Remember when Spender was yelling on the phone about there being "no monsters in Mayveiw."?

What I'm saying is Mr. Garcia is still a werewolf.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I thought they cured that in chapter one.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Tollymain posted:

So, agents are just straight up disappearing when sent to Mayview? :stare:

I don't think that's what she meant. Rather, Agent White has solved so many certain death missions that she earned the benefit of the doubt in Boss Leader's eyes, so when she says "yo I think something's fishy in Mayview" Boss Leader lets her go even though she thinks it's absolutely bullshit. Compare to Spender who just gets doubt, also compare to Spender saying he could totes kill her because she can't walk when Boss Leader's setting her up to be one of her best.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Whitenoise Poster posted:

It sounds like(and looks, considering the outfits) that the Cousinhood hunts things outside of spirit spectrum. Remember when Spender was yelling on the phone about there being "no monsters in Mayveiw."?

Given that Mayview totally does have big scary spirits that anyone could reasonably be called a monster, it'd make sense for Spender to be meaning something other than a regular dangerous spirit when he uses the word monster.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Exit Strategy posted:

I thought they cured that in chapter one.

wait what

I mean now that you mention it he really seems like the type but did something actually happen with that or?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a cartoon duck posted:

I don't think that's what she meant. Rather, Agent White has solved so many certain death missions that she earned the benefit of the doubt in Boss Leader's eyes, so when she says "yo I think something's fishy in Mayview" Boss Leader lets her go even though she thinks it's absolutely bullshit. Compare to Spender who just gets doubt, also compare to Spender saying he could totes kill her because she can't walk when Boss Leader's setting her up to be one of her best.

I'm reading it as "She's going to Mayview with multiple objectives; agents sent to investigate any one of those objectives have disappeared."

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tollymain posted:

I'm reading it as "She's going to Mayview with multiple objectives; agents sent to investigate any one of those objectives have disappeared."

I'm reading it that way, too, with the added subtext "not all of these objectives are directly tied to Mayview, itself, but may link to others outside of Mayview"

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Uh, could it mean that other agents have been lost pursuing these kinds of objectives before? Like, rather than the specific things to be done in Mayview causing agents to disappear, things like them (investigating monster rumors, internally investigating a suspect agent and so on) have been the cause of disappearances in the past on other missions.

I'd think if there actually were agents disappearing in Mayview it'd be a more pressing issue. Francisco and his students didn't seem pressed.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Not to derail the current train of though (haha :downs:), but look closely at Max's speech bubble in the bottom-right corner. Someone's listening...

No idea what to make of it, though.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

youcallthatatwist posted:

Not to derail the current train of though (haha :downs:), but look closely at Max's speech bubble in the bottom-right corner. Someone's listening...

No idea what to make of it, though.

Yeah, Zach commented on it on Twitter yesterday but he made it sound like an error he was going to fix. He could have just been trying to draw attention to it, though.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
It's definitely just an error, the second tail matches the tail of the speech bubble in the previous panel perfectly. In addition, it doesn't merge with the speech bubble in the last panel, it's kept separate by the black outline.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Update

Alt Text: Goon, goon, snitch to my goon, snitch to my goon my dar-ling~

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Huh. Guess she does know about Isaac after all, and is part of the effort of keeping him in the dark. That seems really short-sighted, to be honest - letting him be part of the club but not telling him about the Consortium's just going to breed resentment, which it already has. I guess maybe they're worried about his spirit learning Consortium secrets through Isaac and then jetting off with them one day?

Max doesn't seem too keen to rat out Spender, even if they've just met. That kind of makes sense for the same reason he didn't trade out the magnet snake. Also, he knows Boss Leader even less, so agreeing to spy for a dream-mummy is a big commitment.

Also, did we know his name was Dick Spender?

Dolash fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 21, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wish that was his real middle name.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dolash posted:

Huh. Guess she does know about Isaac after all, and is part of the effort of keeping him in the dark. That seems really short-sighted, to be honest - letting him be part of the club but not telling him about the Consortium's just going to breed resentment, which it already has. I guess maybe they're worried about his spirit learning Consortium secrets through Isaac and then jetting off with them one day?

The thing is, I think that most of Isaac's resentment comes from Spender not telling him anything, not just Consortium stuff.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

He is nowhere cool enough to have that as a middle name

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Dolash posted:

Also, did we know his name was Dick Spender?

It's been previously stated to be Rich Spender.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

MikeJF posted:

The thing is, I think that most of Isaac's resentment comes from Spender not telling him anything, not just Consortium stuff.

Plus Isaac hasn't even been told the reason why he's not being told anything (even we are just theorizing, really) so as far as he knows Spender just trusts him even less than he does Ed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

Plus Isaac hasn't even been told the reason why he's not being told anything (even we are just theorizing, really)

Nah, we know, Spender flat-out said it was because of his possession in the last panel here.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

When Isaac was talking to thunder dude it seemed (to me) that they had their own agenda so while he may have some resentment from bring kept in the dark I think he's aware of why he's being shut from the info he's trying to get.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I wonder if this is another test of some sort. Max already looks like he's going with no on spying on Spender.

Plus he's already a spy. :v:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

T.G. Xarbala posted:

He wishes that was his real middle name.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Everyone in this comic is a huge dork.

Boss Leader continues to be the second best character.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Nah, we know, Spender flat-out said it was because of his possession in the last panel here.
I don't think Isaac can understand loud screeching replacing words.

For all we know Spender is saying "Isaac, I know you're frustrated and I feel very glad about that, but rules compel me to censor things with floating black bar magic."

Which actually, is kind of hilarious in and of itself. So unless someone can come up with something better, that's what I'm going to assume is being said.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Kgummy posted:

For all we know Spender is saying "Isaac, I know you're frustrated and I feel very glad about that, but rules compel me to censor things with floating black bar magic."

Five minutes in MS Paint with the paint bucket tool.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
See it never occurred to me to even try that, because that's not how blackout works unless you're the kind of dumbass that tries to black out laser printed documents with permanent marker or something

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Doing a good Shishio impression in panel 5 there Boss Leader, really not helping your "I'm not a villain" position.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

ProfessorProf posted:

This loving comic. :psyboom:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ProfessorProf posted:

5 seconds with a contrast and gamma curve tool. :)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

Wait... wait is this a real...

*tries it*

... goddammit. That's awesome.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

1 second rightclicking the mspaint eraser tool :colbert:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've noticed that no one seems to have mentioned that Boss Leader is blaming Isaac being kept in the dark on non-Consortium issues on Spender, and that it's only the Consortium stuff that he's not supposed to know. Which raises the question of why Isaac's being told almost nothing; keeping Consortium secrets away from an angry spirit that once fought a member of theirs makes sense, but just keeping Isaac in the dark entirely outside of near-death situations like we saw in Isaac's flashbacks seems a bit much. That's a huge gently caress-up on Spender's part if he doesn't have some spectacular reason for it; besides putting Isaac in unnecessary danger, it worsens (or, really, creates) the resentment someone was talking about earlier. Not being told about the mysterious organization Spender's a part of? Sure, there's possibly a good reason for that. Not telling him anything, even as he teaches Isabel and Ed? Hoo boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's almost like Spender is actually a really bad teacher. Or not a teacher at all and just an undercover agent pretending to be one.

Ed and Isabel probably get enough through Francisco anyway, so Spender doesn't have to teach them much either.