Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The bubble button is really weirdly inconsistent between games for non-Wiimote controls. For the NSMB games, you're pressing the - button for bubble and for SM3DW, it's the much more sensible shoulder buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ChaosArgate posted:

The bubble button is really weirdly inconsistent between games for non-Wiimote controls. For the NSMB games, you're pressing the - button for bubble and for SM3DW, it's the much more sensible shoulder buttons.

What is bubble? I played through NSMBU with 100% and I have no idea what this is.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Fremry posted:

What is bubble? I played through NSMBU with 100% and I have no idea what this is.

In multiplayer, when someone loses a life they disappear for a few seconds after which they reappear at the edge of the screen and have to shake their controller to float over to the nearest alive player, who can pop them out of the bubble and allow them to resume playing.

On another note, I just applied a hori screen protector to my gamepad and it was a fairly painless application. I noticed however one tiny fuzz managed to float between the protector and the screen in the ~5 second window while I was lowing the protector on. I even applied it in the bathroom after taking a hot shower to suppress dust! Hopefully it won't be too noticeable. :(

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Anyone looking to take advantage of the Best Buy sale on Wii U Pro Controllers, the deal is only for the white ones. The black ones are still full price. :psyduck:

I got two white ones and I guess I'll just paint one of them. Such a bizarre distinction.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Why paint it?

I also picked up 2 of them during the sale. Like, the 3DS B1G1 deal this was certainly more like a clearance sale as the pickings were really slim. I got the only 2 pro controllers they had on the floor. They didn't even have any black ones to sell and the white ones I found were both on a peg hook with the tag for the black controller. For 3DS games they only had 1 Bravely Default, 2 Mario Golf, 2 ALBW, 1 Yoshi, a bunch of Mario Party and I didn't see any copies of Kirby or Pokemon.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
It doesn't matter to me bcause every Best Buy, Target, and Walmart within 50 miles of me seems to be sold out of the things.

I guess that ad went viral and people snatched them all up and are coming in today for the price fix.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I hope people bought up the black ones expecting a price fix today

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Shyfted One posted:

Why paint it?

I also picked up 2 of them during the sale. Like, the 3DS B1G1 deal this was certainly more like a clearance sale as the pickings were really slim. I got the only 2 pro controllers they had on the floor. They didn't even have any black ones to sell and the white ones I found were both on a peg hook with the tag for the black controller. For 3DS games they only had 1 Bravely Default, 2 Mario Golf, 2 ALBW, 1 Yoshi, a bunch of Mario Party and I didn't see any copies of Kirby or Pokemon.

I like having different colored controllers. Makes it easier to tell them apart.

I wanted to get some 3DS games too, but the main one I was interested in is Kirby, and they were sold out of it. They only had one copy.

They had plenty of controllers on the floor. Oddly, they had the black ones out on the sale rack, marked at $29.99, and the white ones locked away in a cage. (The tag did say "white," else I would have tried to get a black one at the sale price. :v:)

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

The Operative posted:

Best Buy's sale on Pro Controllers is up.

Edit: Looks like they charge shipping on orders under $35. Probably better off just picking it up from a store tomorrow.
Only the white controllers are for sale. :bang: I wanted a black one.

They probably assume most would want a black one with their black Wii U since the white ones aren't even sold anymore I believe.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Don't forget about price matching. I bought a Pro Controller at Target yesterday because I was one short for Mario Kart and I have seven days to get 20 bucks back.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Smirking_Serpent posted:

That's what kind of threw me off – it's a Nintendo Select, but it's still more than the $20 I was expecting:

http://www.amazon.com/Punch-Out-Nintendo-Selects-Wii/dp/B005EIIBKY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405823073&sr=8-2&keywords=Punch+Out+wii

But after all the praise from this thread, I'll definitely check it out.

If it's not Sold AND Fulfilled by Amazon, you are paying a premium because some oddball retailer has low inventory of it.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Just FYI on the Best Buy thing, the sales do work online if your local store is out of stock, but the online store is already running out of stock on things too, namely Bravely Default.

Got my copy this morning though :hehe:

Bossy Bear
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks so much for posting about the Best Buy sale. I have been wanting to buy a pro controller for a while and this was the perfect excuse.

Also I'm glad you guys mentioned Shovel Knight. I just bought it and while I am really, really bad at it, I am having a lot of fun. :derptiel:

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Afro posted:

It doesn't matter to me bcause every Best Buy, Target, and Walmart within 50 miles of me seems to be sold out of the things.

I guess that ad went viral and people snatched them all up and are coming in today for the price fix.

This is me. I'm hoping Amazon price matches it like they did with the 360 controllers a few weeks back.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Anyone looking to take advantage of the Best Buy sale on Wii U Pro Controllers, the deal is only for the white ones. The black ones are still full price. :psyduck:

I got two white ones and I guess I'll just paint one of them. Such a bizarre distinction.

Yeah, I ran into this problem as well. The cashier was really cool about it though, mostly because they were about to bring a white one out for me when the guy that worked in the games department walked by and said he just sold the last white one, so they just pricedmatched it for me. Good thing, too, they were the only store in town that had any.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

These Wario games aren't too bad, but I've probably wasted the most time with the Miiverse one. Lots of people drew great stuff for "Metal Gear!?" and "Lobster Dance" plus there were some serious artists with great use of shading for "Lamp."

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I've been playing Guacamelee for a few days now, and I like it, but I don't love it. Yes, it's metroidvania style, but it feels very linear. It's metroidvania, but it's closest to Metroid Fusion, the most linear one.

I'm not sure how far I am into it. I just got the game's version of the morph ball. Maybe it opens up more later?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

OldSenileGuy posted:

I've been playing Guacamelee for a few days now, and I like it, but I don't love it. Yes, it's metroidvania style, but it feels very linear. It's metroidvania, but it's closest to Metroid Fusion, the most linear one.

I'm not sure how far I am into it. I just got the game's version of the morph ball. Maybe it opens up more later?

Well, there's no sequence breaking or anything crazy. There are some very advanced areas you can backtrack to once you have the right powers but otherwise the game is pretty much a straight line, like Metroid Fusion.

Doesn't make it boring by any means though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Game and Wario is good, I don't understand why this game was hated on so much... maybe I am more partial to it because it was free.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sold out at my local best buy :(

e: still selling online, wonderful 101 is $23 so i picked that up as well for the free shipping

bef fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 20, 2014

Tryke
Jun 27, 2008
Glad I checked out this thread. I ordered one of the $200 refurbs and a Pro Controller. Even had a $25 Best Buy gift card kicking around!

FWIW, if you've got Elite status with Best Buy then they'll do free shipping on cheaper orders.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Cloks posted:

Don't forget about price matching. I bought a Pro Controller at Target yesterday because I was one short for Mario Kart and I have seven days to get 20 bucks back.

Thanks for putting this idea in my mind. My local Best Buy was out of stock but I was able to get one at Target and they price matched it for me no problem.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Astro7x posted:

Game and Wario is good, I don't understand why this game was hated on so much... maybe I am more partial to it because it was free.

I've been having a lot of fun with it.

9 Volt's mom is the ultimate creeplord, holy poo poo

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Astro7x posted:

It's not terrible, but I mean, is it better than any other game with Wario in the title? Maybe that Master of Disguise game, it's not a bad game to get for free at any rate

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Lemming posted:

I've been having a lot of fun with it.

9 Volt's mom is the ultimate creeplord, holy poo poo

9 Volt's mom is nuts. She comes out of the TV, walks around the room, and sits down to watch TV while her son is supposed to be asleep in bed. And of course those eyes...

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

HJE-Cobra posted:

9 Volt's mom is nuts. She comes out of the TV, walks around the room, and sits down to watch TV while her son is supposed to be asleep in bed. And of course those eyes...

Every mom does this.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Got the last pro controller at my Best Buy

It's really comfortable, but the face buttons being so far in is kind of throwing me off. I'm sure I'll get used to it after I kick my Gamecube muscle memory...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Not a Children posted:

It's really comfortable, but the face buttons being so far in is kind of throwing me off. I'm sure I'll get used to it after I kick my Gamecube muscle memory...

Not so hasty. You'll still need that for when Smash Bros gets released for the WiiU :shepface:.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Not a Children posted:

That's honestly my only complaint with it so far - playing an SNES VC game on it is weird because my thumbs rest naturally on the A/X buttons and left stick instead of the B/Y buttons and D-pad. It feels like I'm stretching my thumbs too far inward when playing that way. On the flip side, the Wii U games I have (SM3DW, NSMBU, DKC:TF, MK8) work with the A/X button position just as well as the B/Y one, so at least I don't have to contort for those games.

It's not as much of an issue on the Gamepad since the D-Pad/Buttons are just below the sticks at least. I almost wish Nintendo went for the Dual-Shock-like layout they used with the Classic Controller on the Pro.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

^^^^ Dude, are you me?!

Not a Children posted:

I tried mine out last night, and it was kind of weird. I usually use the Y button to run and the B button to jump in SM3DW, but doing that on the Pro Controller felt really uncomfortable for some reason. I switched to X run and A jump and it felt better. I've been doing the Y run and B jump since the SNES days. It just felt kind of weird to have it feel uncomfortable all of a sudden. Y run and B jump feels fine on the Gamepad...

It might just be a matter of getting used to it, or maybe I'm holding the thing wrong. Either way, it's comfortable and slick and I like it. Really looking forward to using it in Smash.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zonekeeper posted:

That's honestly my only complaint with it so far - playing an SNES VC game on it is weird because my thumbs rest naturally on the A/X buttons and left stick instead of the B/Y buttons and D-pad. It feels like I'm stretching my thumbs too far inward when playing that way. On the flip side, the Wii U games I have (SM3DW, NSMBU, DKC:TF, MK8) work with the A/X button position just as well as the B/Y one, so at least I don't have to contort for those games.

It's not as much of an issue on the Gamepad since the D-Pad/Buttons are just below the sticks at least. I almost wish Nintendo went for the Dual-Shock-like layout they used with the Classic Controller on the Pro.

If you want a SNES controller for VC games, try hunting down one of the original Classic Controllers for the Wii. The genuine versions are pretty easy to identify, as they have "Wii" on them above the Home Button.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want a SNES controller for VC games, try hunting down one of the original Classic Controllers for the Wii. The genuine versions are pretty easy to identify, as they have "Wii" on them above the Home Button.

I already have a pair of CC Pros, so that's not an issue. That said, the Wii U Pro is way more comfortable to hold - it just fits the hands better than the CC Pro. It feels like the handles on the CC Pro are too "vertical" - They could stand to get angled outward just a bit.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I tried playing Wonderful 101 with the pro controller and half the time I wanted to press Y to dash or put a weapon away I hit the wrong button. Maybe I just have small hands or something but it really feels like I have to stretch uncomfortably far to hit that button. The big gamepad is much more comfortable.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how hard it would be for them to make the Wii U Pro just work where the Wii Pro/Classic works. Little irritating as they seem so similar, but I don't know anything about how the "Wii Mode" on the Wii U works.

So say I got my hands on a Wii Pro controller- would that work like a Wii U Pro controller or would it only work with Wii games and Wii VC?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I was going to pick up a Pro Controller yesterday and one of the blueshirts came up to me to convince me to wait and get the Smash/Gamecube adapter/Smash GC controller preorder bundle for a hundo rather than dropping $30 on a controller I don't need. Like, he wasn't even looking to make the sale himself, he was just doing a "from one nerd to another" kinda thing trying to save a brother a buck.

I hope his manager didn't hear him. I worked at Best Buy in high school and you'd get loving reamed if you told a customer he didn't need something, even if it's a duplicate cable or something.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Monkey Fracas posted:

I wonder how hard it would be for them to make the Wii U Pro just work where the Wii Pro/Classic works. Little irritating as they seem so similar, but I don't know anything about how the "Wii Mode" on the Wii U works.

So say I got my hands on a Wii Pro controller- would that work like a Wii U Pro controller or would it only work with Wii games and Wii VC?

The Wii Pro controller is just a classic controller with redesigned shoulder buttons and handles. You're most likely going to be able to use it in games that allow you to use a Wii U Pro Controller (such as Wonderful 101, Mario Kart or Super Mario 3D World), but it varies on a case by case basis. Wind Waker HD doesn't allow you to use a Classic Controller, for example.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

As long as you have a Wii Remote to plug it into (It won't work on its own), it will work in any Wii or Wii U game that supports it. Unfortunately, back in the Wii days CC support was incredibly spotty, especially in 3rd party games. From what I've seen, some Wii U games that support the Wii U Pro controller also support the Classic Controller (mainly platformers like the Mario games).

Chances are that the Wii U Pro controller will never work in Wii mode because the Pro controller communicates with the console completely differently than the Wii remotes. Unlike most modern consoles, the Wii OS doesn't run "on top" of the game, so any controller support would have to be built into the game disk itself. On top of that, Wii games can't be patched so they can't add support that way either. For the same reasons, the Gamecube controller adapter probably won't work in Wii mode since the original Wii didn't connect to the hardware GCN ports through USB.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It truly seems random whether they decide to include support for the Classic Controller/Classic Pro Controller even in games that use the Wii U Pro Controller. Look at the rightmost column on this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games_that_use_the_Wii_U_Pro_Controller

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zonekeeper posted:

As long as you have a Wii Remote to plug it into (It won't work on its own), it will work in any Wii or Wii U game that supports it. Unfortunately, back in the Wii days CC support was incredibly spotty, especially in 3rd party games. From what I've seen, some Wii U games that support the Wii U Pro controller also support the Classic Controller (mainly platformers like the Mario games).

Chances are that the Wii U Pro controller will never work in Wii mode because the Pro controller communicates with the console completely differently than the Wii remotes. Unlike most modern consoles, the Wii OS doesn't run "on top" of the game, so any controller support would have to be built into the game disk itself. On top of that, Wii games can't be patched so they can't add support that way either. For the same reasons, the Gamecube controller adapter probably won't work in Wii mode since the original Wii didn't connect to the hardware GCN ports through USB.

Not necessarily. They might be able to fudge the USB coding to recognise the gamecube adapter as four gamecube ports when it's connected, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The WiiU Pro controller, and gamepad controls for that matter, are completely out as they broadcast and receive commands via wireless rather than bluetooth. The "Wii" simply has no way to know they exist because it never had them. The only reason they managed to get Wii games broadcasting to the Gamepad screen is because it uses the same hardware to stream it anyway and gets toggled in the WiiU's OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Meldonox posted:

I was going to pick up a Pro Controller yesterday and one of the blueshirts came up to me to convince me to wait and get the Smash/Gamecube adapter/Smash GC controller preorder bundle for a hundo rather than dropping $30 on a controller I don't need. Like, he wasn't even looking to make the sale himself, he was just doing a "from one nerd to another" kinda thing trying to save a brother a buck.

I hope his manager didn't hear him. I worked at Best Buy in high school and you'd get loving reamed if you told a customer he didn't need something, even if it's a duplicate cable or something.

What's worse is that he was talking poo poo and gave you bad advice.

• Locked thread