Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

prb79 posted:

My sorcerer Aldaleth leveled up twice during the raid (logged in at 52, logged out at 54). Thanks for the power leveling guys!

Is there a minimum level that you have to be to enter a raid? I wonder if you could powerlevel someone from like, level 1 in this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

OzCavalier posted:

That's probably because, despite EA/BioWare claims to the contrary about East Coast servers being in Virginia, the ip trace puts Jedi Covenant (an East Coast server) in Redwood City, just outside SF.

IP geolocation is notoriously unreliable. I'm guessing in this case they see that the IP block belongs to EA and just assumes Redwood City because that's where EA is headquartered. If you give it a Euro server IP like 159.153.72.252, it'll still say Redwood City but a traceroute shows routing to Level3 servers in Dublin before disappearing.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is there a minimum level that you have to be to enter a raid? I wonder if you could powerlevel someone from like, level 1 in this way.

Most raids require level 50 to enter. I can't remember if any of them require 55... maybe DF/DP. The only exception I can think of is the instanced boss in the Rakghoul event.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

kmzh posted:

Most raids require level 50 to enter. I can't remember if any of them require 55... maybe DF/DP. The only exception I can think of is the instanced boss in the Rakghoul event.

You need to be 55 to enter DF and DP because you need to be 55 to get to Oricon.

It was good to see that 50-54's could enter S&V, though really, if we're going to do that raid again we need to start earlier. I can't raid til 11pm during the week, and I know Storril was punching himself for being up so late - he's an hour ahead of me due to Canada time zones and he works at 6am. :(

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Nice turnout last night. S&V is a bit of a slog, but it's great for gearing people up. If anybody who hit 55 last night will be on tonight and wants to run through Oricon for some good 55 starter gear, look me up. I'll probably be around running dailies.

So the Gree event starts tomorrow, and next Sunday I want to get in some runs on Xenoanalyst, the event boss. There is a reputation requirement to get into the ship where he's at, which is why I want to hold off until Sunday, to give everyone time to work of that. Like other ops bosses, there is a weekly lockout on Xenoanalyst, so if you plan on being there Sunday, don't waste your lockout on a pug earlier.

The reputation requirement is that you reach Newcomer with the Gree, which requires 7500 rep points. This is about 3 days worth of the daily quests on Ilum. These can be done on one character over 3 days or on three characters on the same day.

There are also 2 open world bosses in caves on Ilum that drop rep tokens that can be farmed. They respawn every 2 hours, but there will probably be multiple instances of Ilum, so it's possible to kill them more frequently. Usually when a pug gets formed for them, it will hop all available instances to maximize kills. Both of these bosses can be killed by an 8 man group, but since there's no penalty for doing so, most pugs will overman it as much as they can. You can have a full group of up to 24.

A note about the PVP missions: There are two dailies that take place in an open-PVP section of the zone. A lot of people try to run these and then get frustrated when other people actually kill them. That happens. It's what PVP areas are about. Most of the time, you can slip in to finish the missions and slip back out without getting noticed. Sometimes though, roving gank squads will be patrolling and murdering everyone they come across. If this happens, don't just keep throwing yourself into the meat grinder. You've got several options. Group up for safety. Switch to another instance. Come back later. If all else fails, just give it a pass. The rep you miss out on is not worth the frustration of getting camped.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The first couple bosses in that raid zone are fun to do, but then it becomes unnecessarily long for no reason at all, but I would still repeat that raid again because the chances for real good upgrades is worth it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I said come in! posted:

The first couple bosses in that raid zone are fun to do, but then it becomes unnecessarily long for no reason at all, but I would still repeat that raid again because the chances for real good upgrades is worth it.

That's only the second time I've done a full run of SnV in, I want to say, 6 months? Which seems to be about the right pace, honestly, what a slog!

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]

kmzh posted:

IP geolocation is notoriously unreliable. I'm guessing in this case they see that the IP block belongs to EA and just assumes Redwood City because that's where EA is headquartered. If you give it a Euro server IP like 159.153.72.252, it'll still say Redwood City but a traceroute shows routing to Level3 servers in Dublin before disappearing.

That is true.

Perhaps I am confused, as when I previously did the same ip trace to my old Asia-Pacific server, back when they were running and I was having an issue with late-night latency, I got an ip address of 175.45.88.251 - which is from a block located at the server farm in Sydney for Vocus P/L, who formerly ran the APac servers for SWToR (until EA closed the servers down).

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's only the second time I've done a full run of SnV in, I want to say, 6 months? Which seems to be about the right pace, honestly, what a slog!

The big problem with S&V is that it seems it was intended to be run more like an old-school WoW raid, where you do a couple of bosses each night, but no one wants to run it that way. At the time it came out, there was only one other 55 raid, and people were complaining that there wasn't enough content to sustain an active raiding group. S&V was a deliberate effort to slow that down and give people a raid they could work on all week.

Swiddlefiddler
Jul 3, 2011
Anyone know if I could realistically farm enough rep items using only one character (if the gree event is level 55 only that is) to be able to get the champ weapons in one week? That gray helix lightsaber is purdy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Swiddlefiddler posted:

Anyone know if I could realistically farm enough rep items using only one character (if the gree event is level 55 only that is) to be able to get the champ weapons in one week? That gray helix lightsaber is purdy.

It looks like, based on the Dulfy guide for the event that if you do every mission once over the week you'll get ~14k reputation. You can only gain 12000 per week though so you'd have to stock some rep items for the following week.

That's assuming you do EVERYTHING once, including Xenoanalyst in both SM and HM. Realistically, you can probably stock enough to hit champ in two weeks if you do the dailies every single day and kill Xeno once.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Problem being that Champion requires 40k cumulative rep and the event is only a single week this time. Long story short, no, it's not realistic for a single character in only one week.

If the event is the same as last time, level 50+ characters can participate and will be bolstered while in the quest areas.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

Problem being that Champion requires 40k cumulative rep and the event is only a single week this time. Long story short, no, it's not realistic for a single character in only one week.

If the event is the same as last time, level 50+ characters can participate and will be bolstered while in the quest areas.

D'oh yeah I forgot it was 15k reputation to get to champion from hero, not to get to champion period.

Yeah unless you poopsock with multiple toons (Like I did with the Rakghoul event!) you're out of luck.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Swiddlefiddler posted:

Don't get "gree"dy! Ho ho ho!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'm not sure "Hotlantaman" is in any of those baby name books

William Tecumseh then. :v:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

How long does it take to get up to 7500 rep (in terms of overall hours)? I have 0 rep at the moment and would prefer not to miss out on the sunday raid for lack of it, but I also only have tonight and tomorrow night to play before sunday, and I have even less desire to spend all my free time farming rep; figured I'd check to see if that would be necessary to make it in time (I have a couple 50+ characters to do it between, hopefully).

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've yet to run the whole thing, farthest I've gotten is Olak. How was supposed to know that there would actually be 16 people on at 8:30 for once :argh:

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
even if you could get into raids at levle 1 it wouldn't matter, more then 6 levels of difference between you and the mobs (or you and your group members) means no xp either way.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sorry Inkarisa, just saw your guildchat - that was our last for the day.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
The first thing I saw in genchat on Ilum was "is that the only way u can kill people." I love this event so much.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

What is it with pubbies that queue for FPs as healers and then refuse to heal? What do they think will happen if no one heals the tank during the boss fights? :psyduck:

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
I think new people sometimes accidentally queue as both healer and dps, since by default both options are checked if you're a class that could theoretically heal.

Alternatively: people like to pewpew things.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Crindee posted:

I think new people sometimes accidentally queue as both healer and dps, since by default both options are checked if you're a class that could theoretically heal.

I suppose, but man does it make life difficult, an Arsenal Spec Merc (ie, me) can only do so much when the "healer" can't/won't heal, especially when my heat is nearly maxed cuz I was actually DPSing while the healer was... not healing and suddenly the tank is at like 10% health and oh god we're all doomed we're all doomed :smithicide:

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 22, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I once got dumped into a flashpoint as DPS when I was actually a tank.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

One of several options -

1) Person thought they were queueing for KDY so it doesn't matter that they had healer and DPS checked. RESOLUTION - Tell them to either respec or vote kick them.

2) Person doesn't understand the difference between heals and DPS. RESOLUTION - Vote kick them or if gear level is appropriate and you have patience, teach them.

3) Person pulls the "Faster queue if I click heals instead of DPS. I'm actually DPS". RESOLUTION - Vote kick them and add to ignore list.

4) Person is in Combat Support cylinder, launching tracer missiles, wearing strength gear. RESOLUTION - Quit FP, log out, go drinking.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah, that's generally how it seems to go. First time it happened the entire group was awful (two Sentinels who would roped my Guardian into tanking even though I didn't want to, didn't know how to, and wasn't specced for it, even after I told them as much, along with a pubbie Commando who refused to heal), so I just quit when twenty minutes later we had wiped on every trash pull(!), arrived at the first boss, and almost immediately, somehow, died.

Second time, the guy was new and with a little friendly reminder and some tips he did great. Third time the healer flat out refused to heal when asked, so we kicked him after the second wipe and got an Operative who was pretty on the ball and we beat the piss out of everything. and I've only done like five flashpoints so that's something like a.... 33% terrible healer rate.

Perhaps I've gotten to used too my other game where truly atrocious pubbies who can't do poo poo are actually relatively uncommon.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 22, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
They get less common at high levels, but fucktards will always be around.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FrostyPox posted:

First time it happened the entire group was awful (two Sentinels who would roped my Guardian into tanking even though I didn't want to, didn't know how to, and wasn't specced for it, even after I told them as much, along with a pubbie Commando who refused to heal)

Wait, how did you end up in this group if you didn't want to tank? Of those classes, Guardian is the only one that's technically capable of tanking, so there'd be pretty much no choice but to have you do it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Wait, how did you end up in this group if you didn't want to tank? Of those classes, Guardian is the only one that's technically capable of tanking, so there'd be pretty much no choice but to have you do it.

Didn't know they were Sentinels. It was literally:

I'm wandering around Tattooine
Guildmate says, in general chat on Tattooine "Hey, Frosty! Wanna group up and do some quests?"
Me: Yeah, sure, which ones?
Him: (Links two quests I already did)
Me: (Being nice) Yeah, sure, I'll help.

I join his group, there's a third person in it. OK, whatever.

FP role selection pops up?

Me: oh, you want to do some FPs? Sure.

Realize I can't select DPS. Notice other dude is also a Sentinel.

Me: I'm not tank spec guys.

Them: It's fine, you don't *need* to be tank spec. (This should've set off alarms and I should've run screaming).

Me: Are you sure? I don't think this is a good idea.

Them: naw, naw, it'll be fine.

But I decided to try anyway. I figured, they've been playing this a while, they probably know better than me. Heck, maybe they WoW-ified the FPs and you can just faceroll through them.

NOPE.

I'm... I'm not the smartest person. Apparently. It would've been tolerable if the goddamned Commando would've actually healed.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 22, 2014

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

RESOLUTION - Quit FP, log out, go drinking.

That's usually the solution for 1-4 FYI

PassiveSentence
Jun 2, 2013
Is the patching process after a maintenance always a love-hate relationship? Seems like there's always someone getting stuck while patching.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Crindee posted:

The first time I did KDY with goons I had both DPS and Healer ticked so it obviously queued me as a healer. Thankfully the two goons and one pubbie in the group were all cool with it once I explained that I'm actually just a dumb retard who can't untick boxes. :kiddo:

Speaking of which is there a general how-to starters guide for tanking and healing? I recently had respecced my Commando into healing to try it out but all that really happened was I got my companion killed a few dozen times (I thankfully avoided any sort of group content as I didn't want to gently caress things up for other people), got frustrated, and went back to a DPS spec.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If you are in heal spec for KDY you spend most of your time DPSing anyways so...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Insert name here posted:

Speaking of which is there a general how-to starters guide for tanking and healing? I recently had respecced my Commando into healing to try it out but all that really happened was I got my companion killed a few dozen times (I thankfully avoided any sort of group content as I didn't want to gently caress things up for other people), got frustrated, and went back to a DPS spec.

There's some decent guides on Dulfy. They're mostly oriented towards endgame, but you should be able to fill in the blanks. I've only Merc/Commando healed a few times, but it was pretty straightforward. The biggest thing was finding a comfortable arrangement for all my hotkeys.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Commando/Merc healing is amazingly simple. You click on someone, you pew pew green lasers at them for a bit, then throw out some probes with a bit of cast time that heal people for half their health bar.

It's probably the only one I never try to DPS while doing though. You need the stacks from your pew pew laser heals too much.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

There's some decent guides on Dulfy. They're mostly oriented towards endgame, but you should be able to fill in the blanks. I've only Merc/Commando healed a few times, but it was pretty straightforward. The biggest thing was finding a comfortable arrangement for all my hotkeys.

Hey you healed that one time on your sorc....oh wait.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

Commando/Merc healing is amazingly simple. You click on someone, you pew pew green lasers at them for a bit, then throw out some probes with a bit of cast time that heal people for half their health bar.

It's probably the only one I never try to DPS while doing though. You need the stacks from your pew pew laser heals too much.

Hey Unload and Power Shot is completely free during Supercharged Gas. :D

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

Hey you healed that one time on your sorc....oh wait.

Believe it or not, I've actually got way more experience healing with the other two classes. I leveled both my consular and scoundrel as healers and ran flashpoints and warzones almost every day while doing so. I'm probably going to start doing the same on my commando now that I realize how much quieter it is than merc healing.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Do we have anyone in guild who can make the 180 rating skill barrels? I'm close to having all the mats (just need 75 comms to buy the isotope-5, and that's not hard to get when the weeklies just reset).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

Believe it or not, I've actually got way more experience healing with the other two classes. I leveled both my consular and scoundrel as healers and ran flashpoints and warzones almost every day while doing so. I'm probably going to start doing the same on my commando now that I realize how much quieter it is than merc healing.

Biggest problem with Commando healing in PvP is that you might as well have a giant green arrow pointing toward you saying "KILL ME I'M A HEALER"

On a side note, I am loving 30-54 PvP on my Rage Juggernaut. So much so that I think I'm going to only do it, no more KDY. It's so much fun being at the top of the medal rankings almost every time. SMASH SMASH SMASH

I'm sure, come 55, that will end, so I'll enjoy it while I can.

• Locked thread