Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Maneck posted:

Pretending to be someone is bannable, circa always (apparently) but no one new until some terrible CCP customer service reps explained it 6-8 months ago.

No, the impersonation thing was always a rule, the ridiculous bit was when some idiot rep concluded that was always impersonation for one character to claim to represent another character, even if it was a truthful statement. By their interpretation, you could be banned for impersonating yourself by telling someone that your alts were your alts.

They have since rescinded that stance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Berious posted:

Anyone willing to vouch me into European Goonion? Feels like I'm missing out being an EUTZ player not in the squad especially when it's quieter. I'm pretty active and can fly loads of space ships!

If you do not manage to get vouched into EG, there is always Space Violence. We tend to have a pretty decent EU turnout whenever we're not drafted for these strategic deployments.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Voyager I posted:

No, the impersonation thing was always a rule, the ridiculous bit was when some idiot rep concluded that was always impersonation for one character to claim to represent another character, even if it was a truthful statement. By their interpretation, you could be banned for impersonating yourself by telling someone that your alts were your alts.

I guess I should have bolded "circa always"? Busting my chops for whatever you're on about, when my post had an errant homophone, is silly.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Wibla posted:

Oh so Delve, not Deklein, ok!

I was starting to wonder if some of my dudes had started bubbling the 0p- gate or something :v:

Pretty sure they only do that in Tribute :v:

Zephyrine posted:

Handle with care. This side towards the enemy.

I just saw Edge of Tomorrow so that phrase has taken on a new meaning for me. Good movie btw if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
They really should have kept the original title - All You Need Is Kill is totally loving awesome while Edge of Tomorrow is incredibly bland.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I just saw Edge of Tomorrow so that phrase has taken on a new meaning for me. Good movie btw if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

Haven't seen it yet. I got the phrase from a landmine they showed us in the youth guard once. It was shaped like a flat screen TV.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Maneck posted:

I guess I should have bolded "circa always"? Busting my chops for whatever you're on about, when my post had an errant homophone, is silly.

No, I mean that the interpretation was always that impersonation was illegal (ie, you couldn't lie about being Chribba's alt to super scam somebody). The boneheaded scandal from a few months back was when someone decided to extend that interpretation to covering people truthfully claiming their own alts.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Zephyrine posted:

Haven't seen it yet. I got the phrase from a landmine they showed us in the youth guard once. It was shaped like a flat screen TV.

A Claymore land mine ? That's exactly the context it shows up in the film too :v:

Apparently that thing would still blow up everything a couple meters behind it.

E: Just because I love those instructions on weapons (yes the first one is from BF3, but the same sticker is on the actual thing). I'm just sad since I have the feeling I once saw a launcher with a "point towards enemy" arrow but can't seem to find it.

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 20, 2014

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Fathis Munk posted:

A Claymore land mine ? That's exactly the context it shows up in the film too :v:

Apparently that thing would still blow up everything a couple meters behind it.

Ours looked like this

I was 14 at the time though so we just got to look at it. The only mines we trained with were "signal mines" supposedly very effective during the night.

mmrmnhrm
Jul 10, 2014

pugnax posted:

They really should have kept the original title - All You Need Is Kill is totally loving awesome while Edge of Tomorrow is incredibly bland.
I wonder if they hired the same grammarians who came up with "We Have Explosive."

Where's that dude's helmet spike?!? Der Kaiser wollen sehr wütend sein!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

mmrmnhrm posted:

I wonder if they hired the same grammarians who came up with "We Have Explosive."

As long as they also hired the same designer as well, it'll all be fine.

mmrmnhrm
Jul 10, 2014

Tippis posted:

As long as they also hired the same designer as well, it'll all be fine.
Hired, yes. But if they got within a city block of FSoL's drug dealer, all bets are off.

mmrmnhrm fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 21, 2014

Leeroy
Mar 18, 2014

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Checked out Edge of Tomorrow earlier today, surprisingly smart movie. Groundhog Day with a little Starship Troopers thrown into the mix.

Leeroy fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 21, 2014

djent
Nov 28, 2013

It's metal to like clowns

Voyager I posted:

rest in peace minister vee, now minmatar citizen #124135235

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Maneck posted:

Pretending to be someone is bannable, circa always (apparently) but no one new until some terrible CCP customer service reps explained it 6-8 months ago.
Yeah, you can't pretend to be Chribba or his alt. Or claim to be anyone else that you are not. But you can totally lie about being "Chribba secured" or some bullshit. And if you have a scam scheme that can support it, you could actually pay the real Chribba to do an audit that appears to be good for long enough to take the marks. It's just not worth doing when you can go fishing with a fake titan and get 80b from some idiot instead. Same thing with how running a highsec corp to scrape 5% taxes from the pubbies isn't really worth the time.

Voyager I posted:

No, I mean that the interpretation was always that impersonation was illegal (ie, you couldn't lie about being Chribba's alt to super scam somebody). The boneheaded scandal from a few months back was when someone decided to extend that interpretation to covering people truthfully claiming their own alts.
That's not exactly how it went. The impersonation that was "always" against the rules was naming yourself Chrlbba or TheMitanni to impersonate someone via eve's terrible fonts. I say "always" because it's fairly lax and enforcement depends on petitions, and your chances depend on who you are, which gm you get, and phase of the moon. But if you complained and could make it stick they got renamed. You could claim to be someone else's alt no problem.

The scandal was that some guys used the official eve wiki to add their characters to a "list of known trustworthy supercap agents", as alts of Chribba and Darknesss. Then they went on a scam rampage because all they had to do to seal the deal was show their marks the supposedly official wiki page.

The boneheaded part was that CCP addressed this by vastly expanding the impersonation rules rather than just banning the idiots for misuse of a official game resource (the wiki). They fake signed it with a CCP name, there was plenty to permaban them on from the beginning. I think a lot of that has been dialed back but still saying "I'm chribba's alt" is probably bannable.

JakeLiebenow
Apr 21, 2013
I wonder if the money Scooter pulled came directly out of the N3 renter wallet :stwoon:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
God drat it scooter just post who you scammed already, you're giving me blue balls here.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Berious posted:

Anyone willing to vouch me into European Goonion? Feels like I'm missing out being an EUTZ player not in the squad especially when it's quieter. I'm pretty active and can fly loads of space ships!

What's your name ingame/on jabber?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
This thread has rekindled my interest in the game. I am really looking forward to flying internet spaceships with some goons.

While I wait for all the authentication stuff to go through: my pvp char is really shittily trained. I got distracted by Recon Ships 5 (Arazus!) and I was Intaki... which was horrible before you could reallocate your stats.

I am currently set on training Large Hybrid 5. Where should I go next? (I have 26 million sp, hindered by horrible ADHD.)

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

dexefiend posted:

This thread has rekindled my interest in the game. I am really looking forward to flying internet spaceships with some goons.

While I wait for all the authentication stuff to go through: my pvp char is really shittily trained. I got distracted by Recon Ships 5 (Arazus!) and I was Intaki... which was horrible before you could reallocate your stats.

I am currently set on training Large Hybrid 5. Where should I go next? (I have 26 million sp, hindered by horrible ADHD.)

DPS or Support role?

JakeLiebenow
Apr 21, 2013

dexefiend posted:

Race means absolutely nothing now, thank goodness. I'd go with support skills if you don't have them already - advanced weapon upgrades 5, perfect capacitor skills, etc.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

dexefiend posted:

Run through the Space violence 60 day plan to fill any basic holes you have then train into the interceptor you're closest to ( though if all things are equal, I'd recommend Caldari as it gets you into a Harpy as well). These days, inties are a must have for both fleets and personal logistics.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

In my latest attenpt to pretend I still play this game, what changes do people think need made to my SV 60day plan from the last year or two?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Dirty Sanchez posted:

Run through the Space violence 60 day plan to fill any basic holes you have then train into the interceptor you're closest to ( though if all things are equal, I'd recommend Caldari as it gets you into a Harpy as well). These days, inties are a must have for both fleets and personal logistics.

Thanks for the replies!

I know I have heavy interdictors 4, which means I have to be ready for some interceptors (Gallente).

In terms of support, I know I can also fly Oneiros and Basilisks.

I am probably within one week of Reimbursement Lachesis, so that is probably where I will go first.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I just took the time to try the new industry UI on SiSi, in preparation for tomorrow and wow, that thing makes everything a whole lot smoother. The UI must have killed like a million clicks. I tested it with invention and I'll tell you, having all the information you need right there instead of having to right click a bazillion times to find all the information windows is great! And CCP took ten years to remake this? Man, better late then never, I guess.

Other stuff I noticed: When an invention-job finishes, you don't get annoying pop-up messages you have to click away, instead you just click one time and the job just ends with either "failed" or "delivered". No smart-rear end UI telling you how much you suck anymore! Also, your invention chance is calculated right there before your eyes, no stupid third-party tools necessary anymore, the game finally tells you your invention chance right away!

If one of you wants to try building/inventing stuff, tomorrow is the day you should start, because the era of being mercilessly tortured by CCP for daring to try industry is over.

Edit:

Another thing, hold on to your researched BPOs, especially the expensive ones: Costs for researching scale exponentially upwards, so researching a Raven BPO to level 1 costs only something like 90k ISK, but researching it fully (level 10) costs incredible 2 billion ISK! If you already have researched blueprints, hide them somewhere and wait until the market calms down -even if you don't want to ever use them, thanks to the costscaling system they'll still be worth 2-3 times as much as a unresearched one.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 21, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

The only thing I dislike about the new industry UI is its reliance on (very tiny) icons and tooltips rather than plain text. But I suppose that there's still some tooltip-mania left in the devs that they have to get out of their system before going back to a design that's more instantly informative. :haw:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

The only thing I dislike about the new industry UI is its reliance on (very tiny) icons and tooltips rather than plain text. But I suppose that there's still some tooltip-mania left in the devs that they have to get out of their system before going back to a design that's more instantly informative. :haw:

The thing is, I rather have icons then just plain text. I'm more of a visual guy and even though I really like reading, I prefer a mixture of icons and text. Text only is as horrid as some kind of incomprehensible mask of only-icons. (Because making icons that can truly be universally and easily understood is really hard and I don't trust CCP to not make something only an alien could read.)

That said, having some of the icons a little bit larger wouldn't be bad, too. But I'm OK with the mixture they're going with now. Maybe because it's still such an enormous step forward after the horror which came before, but progress is still progress.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Libluini posted:

The thing is, I rather have icons then just plain text. I'm more of a visual guy and even though I really like reading, I prefer a mixture of icons and text. Text only is as horrid as some kind of incomprehensible mask of only-icons. (Because making icons that can truly be universally and easily understood is really hard and I don't trust CCP to not make something only an alien could read.)

That said, having some of the icons a little bit larger wouldn't be bad, too. But I'm OK with the mixture they're going with now. Maybe because it's still such an enormous step forward after the horror which came before, but progress is still progress.

I might actually resub and try industry one day, now that I understand it isn't for only the masochists anymore.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Angry Fish posted:

I might actually resub and try industry one day, now that I understand it isn't for only the masochists anymore.

War deployment? Pshhhh

Wait, they upgraded industry!? :awesome:

I don't understand some people (no offense meant).

mmrmnhrm
Jul 10, 2014

Cannon_Fodder posted:

War deployment? Pshhhh

Wait, they upgraded industry!? :awesome:

I don't understand some people (no offense meant).

If it weren't for industry masochists, there'd be nothing for god's chosen to pew with.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

mmrmnhrm posted:

If it weren't for industry masochists, there'd be nothing for god's chosen to pew with.

Where in this do ME200 industrialists rank?

mmrmnhrm
Jul 10, 2014

Boiled Water posted:

Somewhere between "The Marquis de Sade felt you're too extreme for him" and "Darwin himself didn't think you were worth the effort."

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Boiled Water posted:

Unrelated to this conversation, but MAN are eveo pubbies pissed about the normalization of research levels. One guy in the thread claimed to have a drone BPO at ME1975. This takes 6 months of research, and saves you a whole 2 pyerite over, say, ME500. This is about 24 isk per run. He also had ME125 battleship BPOs, which take 1y6m to research. Total savings: 600k isk per run. Now, everything is being normalized to ME10 max and it is beautiful.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

mmrmnhrm posted:

There's always stuff to pew it's just everything would degrade into people shooting each other with civilian guns in rookie ships.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
Battleship BPOs take 2 billion ISK to get to level 10?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Libluini posted:

That's fair enough. Text-only just reverts the game back to the spreadsheets-in-space that they're trying to move away from. My point is more that, while that's a nice goal, they seem to forget that text is actually still valuable and that hiding tons of information behind tool tips makes just as cumbersome as it makes it sleek. The whole overview/bracket debacle showed fairly well that they aren't entirely in tune with what kind of information players would want at their fingertips — the same goes here, I feel.

A mix would certainly be fine, in particular on the industry side since many build components have (deliberately?) similar icons.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Glory of Arioch posted:

Unrelated to this conversation, but MAN are eveo pubbies pissed about the normalization of research levels.
It feels to me like the retirement plan for tons of dumb pubbies was to buy BPOs and just keep them researching forever, with the idea that somewhere down the road they could sell them for big profits. Now the sell orders forum is flooded of people selling BPO sets at barely above NPC prices that will be perfect ME after cruis. It's pretty fantastic!

Angry Fish posted:

Industry is still for masochists, but now it's more like some light bondage and spanking instead of hanging-from-the-ceiling-with-flesh-hooks.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Fix Lag posted:

It doesn't seem that unreasonable since you just research it once.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fix Lag posted:

If you are in a system were level 1 costs 90k, yes. Depending on the formula, the endpoint could vary greatly: I've not done enough testing to see if, for example, a starting cost of 9k ISK ends up with 200 million ISK for level 10, which is something I would expect.

I could be totally wrong, though, depending on the underlying formula. Also remember, this test was done on SiSi, so it could be the worth of the job alone let the install cost skyrocket that much, since the install costs are calculated by comparing system jobs with global jobs. So a single large job on SiSi will always be a higher percentage of the global activity then on TQ. Someone would have to try tomorrow on TQ to see if that kind of variation really is that extreme.

However, even it the endcost turns out to be similar to my test, remember this:

Level 10 is the new maximum, you can only research to ME10% (which is the new terminology, levels are going away completely, every research run adds 1% reduction instead up to the maximum) so as soon as you're done, you're done forever. Even with time efficiency: Every run adds 2% reduction to build times, up to 20% max. Then there's the 10% NPC-tax, so jobs outside of NPC-stations are generally 10% cheaper.

To give you an example on how system activity can change things, in a nearby system research costs 3 million ISK for the first level and over 75 billion ISK for max research. That's a lot, isn't it? :shepface:

An example.

Tippis posted:

My point is more that, while that's a nice goal, they seem to forget that text is actually still valuable and that hiding tons of information behind tool tips makes just as cumbersome as it makes it sleek. The whole overview/bracket debacle showed fairly well that they aren't entirely in tune with what kind of information players would want at their fingertips — the same goes here, I feel.

On the other hand, for some reason CCP decided to not hide some stuff anymore. Now a new player doesn't have to search obscure sites to find out what chance he has at inventing T2-stuff, for example: The invention chance is now clear and in plain view. More of that, CCP!

Edit:

Another thing I like about the changes: You don't have to click on working jobs anymore to find out how far along the line they are, you get a countdown and a growing blue bar to show you this information at a glance. Another shitload of clicks eliminated.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I'm pretty sure that is an effect of basecosts or activity being out of whack on Sisi. Looking at the math here and feeding in a Raven example, here's how I get some numbers:

basecost * 0.02 * per level multiplier = cost per research level, prices in millions
code:
basecost mult      per level
170      1.00      3.40
170      1.38      4.70
170      3.29      11.17
170      7.80      26.52
170      18.53     63.01
170      44.19     150.25
170      104.76    356.19
170      250.05    850.16
170      594.71    2022.03
170      1412.38   4802.10
              total: 8289.52
But that total is the cost without any scaling for system activity. For the system activity to result in 100% cost, all the industry in eve has to be in one system. OTOH if industry is exactly evenly distributed between 5000 systems, the system activity multiplier would be ~1.5% everywhere. The devs expect low single digits to be the "normal". Also note that my basecost is a high estimate, I just looked at the prices of ravens on eve-central but eve's base price (aka insurance value) is generally lower than market.

So research is going to be expensive, particularly considering research was drat near free before. If you see someone selling a useful BS or BC blueprint that will be perfect tomorrow at NPC prices, might not be crazy to pick it up. But there are gonna be tons of them around so don't bother unless you want to use it.

• Locked thread