Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Does anyone know the most comfortable way to get from Bangkok to Siem Reap without flying? I have a friend coming to visit and she would rather save her money for diving or whatever instead of flying. Did some Googling but keep finding conflicting information and it is TOO HOT RIGHT NOW to even think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Take the government bus (from Mo Chit) to the Rong Kluea market (if you ask around you'll get put on the right bus by telling people you want to go to Cambodia). At Rong Kluea get a motorbike taxi or a tuktuk to the border -- they may take you to a building called "Visa Center" -- ignore it, tell them you have a visa, and just go get in line at the border. After you cross the border you'll be in the unpleasant hub of Poipet -- arrange for a private taxi to take you and your friend to Siem Reap. You do this by just going "Taxi, taxi, private taxi, taxi, no bus, taxi" until one of the touts badgering you admits to being a taxi driver instead of a minibus salesman. Someone else will tell you where to stay in Siem Reap, the last time I was there was ten years ago maybe and it was easy and nice to stay near the "triangle," which was a group of guesthouses and bars. Now maybe that area is noisy or expensive, and you'll want to get up for the sunrise at the temples each day.

I suggest hiring a motorbike (which will come with a driver) or two for the days you go to the temples. They drive you over to whatever temple you say, then wait patiently outside for you to come and get ferried to the next temple. It doesn't cost much.

Avoid buying a package ticket that takes you from Bangkok all the way to Siem Reap, they sell these at Mo Chit and a lot of travel agencies on Khao San or Sukhumvit or whatever, but those are the very worst way to go and most likely to turn into a fart party. Your journey on the Thai side of the border will be okay, but it's a crapshoot as to how it will go from Poipet to SR, and you won't save any time or money by buying the package thing (probably will loose time because the Poipet -> SR leg will be on a lovely slow bus possibly with intermittent aircon instead of a zippy cab that costs just fractionally more than the bus would for two people anyway).

Most of the real bad horror stories about Poipet are from the dark days when there was no loving road between Poipet and Siem Reap. You drove through rice fields and over bridges made out of planks loosely laid over irrigation ditches. They finished the highway and now the trip is tolerable and most of the griping about it is because people think they're supposed to or because they got hosed around with in Poipet.

E: The town on the Thai side is Aranyaprathet. If you say you want to go to Aranyaprathet however your bus will (may) stop farther from the border than if you go to the market to begin with. It's not a big deal, but the "right" thing to do is to go to Rong Kluea to begin with.

EE: Read Duckmaster's post about this as well http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3260679&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=330#post432094001

raton fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 21, 2014

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
How much money does the land route actually save? DMK-REP is under 3000 bht one way.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Negligent posted:

How much money does the land route actually save? DMK-REP is under 3000 bht one way.

It costs about $40 if you take a public bus to Aranyaprathet and then a taxi to Siem Reap from Poipet, or like $15 if you take public buses for each leg.

This route sucks just because of its length and spending the extra $30-40 is really truly worth it. The last time I took this overland by bus it took about 10 hours. But that's just my beef with it, as far as busing goes it's not too bad I suppose.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 21, 2014

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
So we're in Phuket, specifically Patong. This place is like Thai Tijuana. I don't think we'll be staying past our initial two night hostel booking. What are some beautiful islands/beachy areas should we go to in Thailand that won't be so filthy and crowded?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Does anyone read this drat thread before deciding to go to Phuket :argh:

You can catch a ferry to Ao Nang or Lanta. I'd prefer Ao Nang personally, but that's me. You can cross over to the Gulf side and go to the remote-er beaches on Koh Phangan like Ao Thong Nai Pan. You can head South to the islands down around the Lipe Koh area. Many choices!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
SEA ASIA : ASK ABOUT PHUKET ALTERNATIVES THEN GET BANNED

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Be caberham and get banned MORE LIKE.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

You can catch a ferry to Ao Nang or Lanta. I'd prefer Ao Nang personally, but that's me. You can cross over to the Gulf side and go to the remote-er beaches on Koh Phangan like Ao Thong Nai Pan. You can head South to the islands down around the Lipe Koh area. Many choices!

+1 for Ao Nang. Railay and Phranang are some of the best beaches in the world and only a 10 minute boat ride away.

I think I'm getting drug withdrawals after SE Asia. Been having cold sweats, insomnia and shakes the past few days. The sweats have gone away but I'm still shaking like Muhammad Ali.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Perhaps take this opportunity to stop taking drugs! I make no moral judgment, but less shaking and sweating sounds more comfortable.

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
I don't post in this thread that often but I do love the North coast of Koh Phangan. Bottle Beach, is very chilled. I met some great people there in 2010. I was there in the low season though. Other places I liked then were Koh Lipe and Koh Lante. After the islands I avoided heavily touristic spots during my four months in Thailand. My favourite town was Trang and my favourite city was Bangkok - I didn't stay on Khao San, but I did stay on Soi Rambutri, just over the road from Khao San. I stayed in a place called "My House" which cost me I think 250b per night, fan room with western style toilet. The night porter dude is cool and will sell you beer when you roll in at 4 in the morning.

I really liked Phimai https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Phimai+History+Park/@15.4851676,98.9491235,7z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x8f81ccfb46760047 (I think that's what it's called - a place in the East with old Khmer ruins - I rented a bike there and cycled around the town for a day or two, it's a bit like a Thailand version of York if you're from the UK. Go see the big tree there.

[EDIT] what image hosts do people use these days?

Ted Ed Fred fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 21, 2014

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E

Ted Ed Fred posted:

I don't post in this thread that often but I do love the North coast of Koh Phangan. Bottle Beach, is very chilled. I met some great people there in 2010. I was there in the low season though. Other places I liked then were Koh Lipe and Koh Lante. After the islands I avoided heavily touristic spots during my four months in Thailand. My favourite town was Trang and my favourite city was Bangkok - I didn't stay on Khao San, but I did stay on Soi Rambutri, just over the road from Khao San. I stayed in a place called "My House" which cost me I think 250b per night, fan room with western style toilet. The night porter dude is cool and will sell you beer when you roll in at 4 in the morning.

I really liked Phimai https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Phimai+History+Park/@15.4851676,98.9491235,7z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x8f81ccfb46760047 (I think that's what it's called - a place in the East with old Khmer ruins - I rented a bike there and cycled around the town for a day or two, it's a bit like a Thailand version of York if you're from the UK. Go see the big tree there.

[EDIT] what image hosts do people use these days?

That sounds great! Try http://imgur.com for your images.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

ReindeerF posted:

I always enjoyed Ao Nang personally too. Lots of options when you get there.

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Bottle Beach 2010 -

http://imgur.com/iliKtZ1

http://imgur.com/LKm3AGy

A massive spider that was eating a cockroach when I came to take a piss the morning after the night before...

http://imgur.com/guB14CA

Can't believe it's been four years since I was there. Hopefully I'll be back out in SE Asia within the year!

Ted Ed Fred fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 21, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Speaking of foo-ket, I'll be there on business from at least August 5th through the 12th, maybe longer, if anyone else is stupid enough to travel there!

My partner facility there said that the taxi mafia is done since the military took over, so I asked, "Great, how much is a taxi from the airport?" 650 Baht, same as before. Thank white Buddha for the junta.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

retpocileh posted:

So we're in Phuket, specifically Patong. This place is like Thai Tijuana. I don't think we'll be staying past our initial two night hostel booking. What are some beautiful islands/beachy areas should we go to in Thailand that won't be so filthy and crowded?

+1 Ao Nang

If you come to Ao Nang let me know and I will buy you a beer. Sorry you're in Patong.

HELLO YOU WANT MASSAAAAAAAAGE?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

About to leave Phnom Penh, had an awesome trip, thanks for all the suggestions.

Couple of questions:

1. I really liked the vibe of Siem Reap, is there anywhere in Thailand like that? (Temples not necessarily needed)

2. Anyone been to Koh Rung Sanloem? Got some friends heading there next month and considering joining.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
1) [ignore me - I miss Phnom Penh so much I answered the wrong question].

2) I'd heard about this, but hadn't been yet as I've avoided that whole Sihanoukville area. Maybe Tytan or duckmaster has? Tytan's on a trip right now, so you might need to PM him.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 22, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Gail Wynand posted:

1. I really liked the vibe of Siem Reap, is there anywhere in Thailand like that? (Temples not necessarily needed)

Siem Reap has probably changed a lot since I was there. Want to give us a rundown on what you liked?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I love kampot and slightly off snooky ville.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Chiang Mai has a river, tuktuks, live music venues with cheap drinks and white people which is kind of similar to Siem Reap

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Gail will miss the endless busloads of Korean package tourists who cause constant traffic jams in Chiang Mai, though, so it won't be an authentic experience.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Negligent posted:

Chiang Mai has a river, tuktuks, live music venues with cheap drinks and white people which is kind of similar to Siem Reap
Yeah that's kind of what I was going for.

As for Sihanoukville, yeah I can do without any town nicknamed "Snooki" but the islands sound relatively unspoiled. Also, I would be going with 6 American ladies.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
If I fly into Bangkok on a 60 day tourist visa with 20000baht on hand, am I going to run into any problems? I've been in Thailand twice this year already on landing visas, but left after a week each time. Should I also bring a bank statement?

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Cambodia has been on my radar for sometime. I'm not particularly interested in the beach since I just came back from Bali. If I go for a weeklong trip, with 2 days (besides travel days) for Angkor, what should I do with rest of the time? Can you elaborate on what makes PP cool?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Atlas Hugged posted:

If I fly into Bangkok on a 60 day tourist visa with 20000baht on hand, am I going to run into any problems? I've been in Thailand twice this year already on landing visas, but left after a week each time. Should I also bring a bank statement?
If you're granted a visa as of now it shouldn't be a problem. Opinions will differ on this, but a visa granted from this point on will be under the new regime I'm almost positive.

Anarkii posted:

Cambodia has been on my radar for sometime. I'm not particularly interested in the beach since I just came back from Bali. If I go for a weeklong trip, with 2 days (besides travel days) for Angkor, what should I do with rest of the time? Can you elaborate on what makes PP cool?
It's very difficult to say and some people don't really like it all that much - duckmaster, for example, found the expats a bit too skeevy (many of them are). There's just a very special vibe there. I have trouble putting it into words.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Basically PP is a rougher more laid back version of Bangkok with cheaper booze and better Western food.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Gail Wynand posted:

As for Sihanoukville, yeah I can do without any town nicknamed "Snooki" but the islands sound relatively unspoiled. Also, I would be going with 6 American ladies.

Kampot, go to bokor hill. Then spend time at kep.

6 ladies? Waaaaa I want to come. Hey Gail are you still based in Singapore? I will be there late August

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Yep, I'm in Singapore until 2016 at least, shoot me a PM if you want to hang out - though late August may conflict with the aforementioned return trip to Cambodia.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Gail Wynand posted:

Basically PP is a rougher more laid back version of Bangkok with cheaper booze and better Western food.
The thing I always add is the aesthetic and the surrounding countryside, which I don't think gets enough play.

There's grinding poverty there and there's also beautiful French colonial architecture and some remaining New Khmer Architecture from guys like Van Molyvann (still alive!) and there's the pretty riverfront and the lemongrass fields and other farms and ranches across the Naga Ferry that are fantastic running / biking country. And the people, by and large, can be lovely to the point of being goofy. I mean there are assholes everywhere and the smiles are often part of the service, but I find more genuinely friendly, giggly, goofball friendly Khmer people than I do Thai or Laos or what have you. It's very much a city of contrasts and that's part of what makes it so fascinating, for me anyway. I rent a mountain bike and just ride all over the place - go to the old train depot where you can see the old trains, check out Chroy Changva across the river, cross the Naga ferry and go meet people in the rural communities on the Areyksat side.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Some people have had to show 20,000 baht cash even with an advance visa. I think it depends on the border, but I'm not sure about airports. I guess better safe than sorry.

And man, second time in six months that wily teenagers have tried to hit me with something from a speeding motorbike. Kids these days. :argh:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Haha, wtf!? I've never remotely been approached violently or aggressively. Are you wearing flip flops with the King's face on them or something?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Well I was wearing my Bhumibol speedo, so there's that. But yeah, I think kids just like trying to spook me or something.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

Gail Wynand posted:

Sihanoukville always feels kinda sleazy to me, but yeah the islands are supposed to be pretty nice from the people I know who have been there (never been myself). As always I would recommend Kep over Sihanoukville, but if your lady friends like a bit of nightlife then yeah Snooki might be the better option.

As for the Phnom Penh chat, the thing I really like about the place (other than Khmers being awesome people) is the variety of stuff there in such a small area - it's basically impossible to get bored there. Yeah a lot of the expats and tourists are sleazy, but unless you really like hanging out at the riverside or Golden Sorya then they're pretty easily avoided.

I'm counting down the weeks until I get to go back there :(

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You're supposed to tell people to hang out at Golden Sorya and wait for them to come back to the thread bitching!

EDIT: "And be sure not to miss the Heart of Darkness!"

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jul 22, 2014

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
How can you forget Walkabout?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Do not miss Walkabout!

Actually, I did always enjoy going to the Joker Draw. Not because I thought I would win or something, but because the crowd who turns up for the Joker Draw is loving hilarious to ogle. Watching Raksmey go nuts when her pensioner boyfriend wins the scooter is a hoot.

Then go around the corner to Zeppelin for dumplings. Best dumplings in town! Like $1.25 for a plate full and the owner is a character.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 23, 2014

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Perhaps take this opportunity to stop taking drugs! I make no moral judgment, but less shaking and sweating sounds more comfortable.

I'LL TAKE ALL THE DRUGS IN THE WORLD!

No, I kid. I'm staying clean for a while to come. In Japan now so I need to put my money towards living and India/Middle East aren't really the places for that kind of thing, which is where I'm off to next.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Whats the dopest national park in south to mid Thailand that's not in the middle of nowhere?

The ko islands are loving amazing but its time to move on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Profondo Rosso posted:

Whats the dopest national park in south to mid Thailand that's not in the middle of nowhere?

The ko islands are loving amazing but its time to move on

My friend went to the Similan islands and she loved it. The only other one I can think of in that region is Sam Roi Yod. I'm sure there's more, I just don't know about it.