Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Read: "It's OK to change the rules, as long as I'm getting some kind of leg-up or advantage".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Exactly. That's why I stopped playing a bad game and switched to magic. It's a different set of problems but wasting time looking up (advantageous) rules isn't one of them.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

The response was actually 'You can still play it as unbound' and then you threw a multiple page poo poo fit.

Man you really didn't get that thread at all did you?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Unironically, the "unbound" thread was the best thing to happen to 40k in this forum in years. Too much of that poo poo is seriousposting about lists and how the retarded story is now too retarded (I am guilty of these too). Making dumb jokes, making fun of GW, and posting pictures of weird 40k related poo poo was great, and I laughed more at that thread for that week than I have since it was in old GBS. Also made me almost reconsider actually buying 7th, but then the fun stopped and everyone got serious and it sucked again.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Gate posted:

Unironically, the "unbound" thread was the best thing to happen to 40k in this forum in years. Too much of that poo poo is seriousposting about lists and how the retarded story is now too retarded (I am guilty of these too). Making dumb jokes, making fun of GW, and posting pictures of weird 40k related poo poo was great, and I laughed more at that thread for that week than I have since it was in old GBS. Also made me almost reconsider actually buying 7th, but then the fun stopped and everyone got serious and it sucked again.

Seriously, I want a permanent unbound 40k thread. It was super entertaining. Although it might get dull having to wade through :vomarine: posts every day.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
If :vomarine: spam is wrong then I don't want to be right.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The Gate posted:

Seriously, I want a permanent unbound 40k thread. It was super entertaining. Although it might get dull having to wade through :vomarine: posts every day.

Good news, I encourage you to post everything too stupid for the main 40k thread in here!

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

isn't the gbs thread that?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

drgnvale posted:

isn't the gbs thread that?

Sorta, with unbound we could call out other posters for being poo poo and/or supporting this lovely company.

Someone posted last week they spent $1000 on Fw models this month or something in the other thread. That poo poo is hosed up.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It seems that something like Games Day is back this year, called Warhammer Fest.

quote:

A celebration of all the multiple worlds of Games Workshop, you'll be able to experience all kinds of Hobby Demos, seminars, you'll be able to talk to the design studio and have your first opportunity to grab the newest Games Workshop, Black Library and Forge World products, as well as access to event only merchandise and limited edition product.
This will also be the forum for this years Golden Demon painting competition, the premier arena for the best miniature painters in the world and also Armies on Parade (Sunday only).
The best part is, tickets for Warhammer Fest will be available in store from this Wednesday, so to get yourself a ticket, be here bright and early Wednesday morning.

Tickets cost £20

The event will be held at Ricoh arena, Coventry

11th and 12th October

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

It seems that something like Games Day is back this year, called Warhammer Fest.

Can you play games there?

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Where is this magical unbound thread?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

No mention of actually playing the game means that this is just more of the same "pay money to go and buy stuff"?

How is this any different from Games Day, which at least had name recognition?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Naturally it mentions nothing about actual games being played.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Daedleh posted:

Where is this magical unbound thread?

It was the interim thread right before 7th ed came out. It's dead now.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
So long Unbound thread, we hardly knew ye! :smith:

GBS thread is pretty good for shooting the poo poo about 40k, generally.

Also don't have to deal with the GW cockgobblers.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gbs thread is the new unbound thread except with more explaining stuff to people that don't play

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Odds the games day name change has to do with that lawsuit? If you can't TM it, it needs a new name.

Or maybe they just didn't want it associated with the fringe elements of the hobby who make their purchases fight each other.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Moola posted:

So long Unbound thread, we hardly knew ye! :smith:

GBS thread is pretty good for shooting the poo poo about 40k, generally.

Also don't have to deal with the GW cockgobblers.

Truth. I'd rather hear posts that are whinging and somewhat hyperbolic rather than the poo poo the Kool-aid drinkers spout.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

The Unbound thread was a glorious, glorious thing. I loved Moola's fanart posts in particular.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I wish I saved all that fan art, the shark transport in particular was loving awesome!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

The shark was loving amazing and I would gladly model one.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I'm 95% certain the name changed from Games Day because they didn't want people associating The Hobby (tm) with games of any kind. They're Forging Their Narrative.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

People complained about there not being games at Games Day! Well. We fixed that!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
And after we went to such trouble to give them yellow lighting so their daemons would look golden! Bloody ingrates.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
This is a PERFECT example of Games Workshop's problem solving philosophy.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

This is a PERFECT example of Games Workshop's problem solving philosophy.

When they finally go down, at least nobody can say their deck chairs were not PERFECTLY aligned! :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
There's a joke here to be made about the "hobby demos" simply demonstrating how to pay for GW products but :effort:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its at the Ricoh arena too. One of the most depressing places in one of the most depressing towns in the UK.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

serious gaylord posted:

Its at the Ricoh arena too. One of the most depressing places in one of the most depressing towns in the UK.

Sounds perfectly grimdark to me.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Slimnoid posted:

Sounds perfectly grimdark to me.

It will be lit by over 5000 fluorescent tubes of sadness.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Don't worry. Warhammer Fest is a brand new publication unrelated to the previous one. you can now ALSO enjoy Games Day's smaller, more streamlined version four times a year!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I don't like GW but I don't see why people are annoyed that people wanted you to use the current rules?

I mean, when Magic fundamentally changed how their game worked on a mechanical level and invalidated a bunch of cards that people loved (RIP Festering Goblin) no one was like "Can we play a game with the old stack mechanics because my deck sucks with the new ones!"

Also speaking as a former huge WarZone player/fanboy GW is poorly run, but it ain't got nothing on the fuckpile that was Target Games. Even if Warzone basically laid the entire framework for modern miniatures games, was crazy influential and basically served as the #1 inspiration behind Warmachine (insert "how to get from Brotherhood to Menoth in two easy steps" info-graphic).

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I don't like GW but I don't see why people are annoyed that people wanted you to use the current rules?

I mean, when Magic fundamentally changed how their game worked on a mechanical level and invalidated a bunch of cards that people loved (RIP Festering Goblin) no one was like "Can we play a game with the old stack mechanics because my deck sucks with the new ones!"

Also speaking as a former huge WarZone player/fanboy GW is poorly run, but it ain't got nothing on the fuckpile that was Target Games. Even if Warzone basically laid the entire framework for modern miniatures games, was crazy influential and basically served as the #1 inspiration behind Warmachine (insert "how to get from Brotherhood to Menoth in two easy steps" info-graphic).

The Magic analogy doesn't really hold up here. Also you don't pay hundreds of dollars for the rulebooks to Magic so it's not a big loss when the rules change.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

GW rules updates have been known to invalidate everything from converted models up to entire armies.

It's not a matter of wanting to powergame a more powerful iteration of your rules - it's wanting rules that include models you bought and put effort into. Or rules that aren't tragically broken.

A better magic equivalent would be if Green stopped being a color in M16. Or that green would be split into Turquoise and Yellow.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Also no entire deck types or beloved strategies were completely invalidated by the rules changes (that I know of). With 40k, on the other hand, an edition change can take a gigantic poo poo on an entire faction, and due to GW's pathological attitude towards release cycles and updates, you may be waiting years for a fix that may not even be an adequate fix when it comes out, so you have to wait another two years.

I don't even think Magic's balance among the different strategies is that awesome on an objective level (what's that, UW-based control and three-color goodstuff are two of the strongest strategies in a given environment? Quelle surprise!) but they still leave huge boot-shaped indentations in GW's rear when it comes to making sure players can effectively play the decks they like from year to year.

e: Moths sort of beat me while I was posting, but it bears repeating.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah they basically said my Death Guard army is now half Nurgle-ish Space marines ($50 codex) and half Nurgle Daemons (another $50 codex) and I'd have to buy at least one more half-army unless I wanted to put up with their allies rules.

Don't ask me about my Genestealer Cult.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Sperging, but I think you mean Mogg Fanatic. You used to be able to put damage on the stack, then sac it to do 1 extra damage to the same (or another) creature. It basically works like Festering Goblin under the new rules.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
The magic analogy does not work at all, because replacing a deck of cards takes considerably less time, money and effort than replacing a warhammer army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Moola posted:

The magic analogy does not work at all, because replacing a deck of cards takes considerably less time, money and effort than replacing a warhammer army.

Time and effort yes (if you want it to be painted and all) but the money gap probably isn't as great as you might think, at least if you shop smart. If warhammer and other plastic mans games do one thing according to sane economic principles, it's having the resale value of a used product on ebay or whatever generally be less than what you pay new from the manufacturer. This is of course due to a lot of things, like the pack random distribution system, but the point is that smart shopping will get you a lot farther in Warhammer than it will in Magic.

Also some Legacy and Vintage decks are, of course, much more expensive than any non-Apocalypse army, but those formats also tend to be the ones where decks get invalidated less often (no rotations, infrequent bannings) so it's less of an issue.

• Locked thread