Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Blood in the Bosphorus, Beta Version

I decided that having more people testing this would be more to the LP's benefit than keeping a handful of early game events secret, so here's a beta version of the mod for everyone to play around with. I haven't tested it without Rest Publica or Purple Phoenix, but I can't imagine it works too well without those.

If you play it, I'd like to request that you not specifically spoil what's in the New World or the exact nature of the Reformation (it can be inferred that the Reformation happens within Orthodoxy and not Catholicism, of course, so mentioning that is fine.)

Anyway, let me know what parts are horribly broken, so I can fix them now, and not after Chang Yuchun conquers Hungary and half the crowned heads of Europe are Ceska Lipas or nodynasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Da Qin's ideas all have the localization for the Roman ones, at least on the country selection screen.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Da Qin's ideas all have the localization for the Roman ones, at least on the country selection screen.

As the TRUE heirs of Rome, they get the Roman Empire ideas from the CK2 exporter.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

I assume that with testing the mod you'd rather we just keep our findings confined to crashes and/or broad balance things whilst keeping quiet about our own exploits in the mod?

BwenGun fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 20, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Rincewind posted:

As the TRUE heirs of Rome, they get the Roman Empire ideas from the CK2 exporter.

What?! Da Qin delenda est! Da Qin delenda est!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rincewind posted:

Blood in the Bosphorus, Beta Version

I decided that having more people testing this would be more to the LP's benefit than keeping a handful of early game events secret, so here's a beta version of the mod for everyone to play around with. I haven't tested it without Rest Publica or Purple Phoenix, but I can't imagine it works too well without those.

If you play it, I'd like to request that you not specifically spoil what's in the New World or the exact nature of the Reformation (it can be inferred that the Reformation happens within Orthodoxy and not Catholicism, of course, so mentioning that is fine.)

Anyway, let me know what parts are horribly broken, so I can fix them now, and not after Chang Yuchun conquers Hungary and half the crowned heads of Europe are Ceska Lipas or nodynasty.

Should one of the Korean states be getting a foothold on the New World by 1454-ish? And should that foothold not even start as a colony, but becomes immediately a fully-cored province?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

BwenGun posted:

I assume that with testing the mod you'd rather we just keep our findings confined to crashes and/or broad balance things whilst keeping quiet about our own exploits in the mod?

Nah, you can post your exploits unless you're just playing as Rome and your exploits involve figuring out some kind of optimal starting strategy or something.

Although since we're very likely starting with a multiplayer session any starting strategies would probably just go out the window.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Funky Valentine posted:

Should one of the Korean states be getting a foothold on the New World by 1454-ish? And should that foothold not even start as a colony, but becomes immediately a fully-cored province?

No, there's an AI-only decision to give them a head start because the AI is really bad at figuring out how to get from Korea or Japan to the new world, but it's not supposed to fire until the 1600s. Clearly something went horribly wrong, though.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Rincewind posted:

Nah, you can post your exploits unless you're just playing as Rome and your exploits involve figuring out some kind of optimal starting strategy or something.

Although since we're very likely starting with a multiplayer session any starting strategies would probably just go out the window.

Heh, I'm far too mediocre a player to be posting up exploits or optimal strategies!

Hell my first test run I managed to get into a war of succession over Pomenaria with Kiev, thought I'd be ok against the Third Rome and then ran into the fact that my heir is the worst general imaginable and the Tsar of Kiev was a six shock general (I think it was shock anyway, one of his skills was ominously yellow coloured). Even outnumbering the Kievans by 20,000 men resulted in ignominious defeat.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rincewind posted:

No, there's an AI-only decision to give them a head start because the AI is really bad at figuring out how to get from Korea or Japan to the new world, but it's not supposed to fire until the 1600s. Clearly something went horribly wrong, though.

Oh yeah, then a Japanese state (Fujiyama?) took control of that random province in California for a few years. No war. Immediately cored, and Korean culture replaced with Japanese culture.

Then it went back the the Korean state (Silla) because of reasons.

Basically this is Gavin Menzies's wet dream.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Funky Valentine posted:

Oh yeah, then a Japanese state (Fujiyama?) took control of that random province in California for a few years. No war. Immediately cored, and Korean culture replaced with Japanese culture.

Then it went back the the Korean state (Silla) because of reasons.

Basically this is Gavin Menzies's wet dream.

Fujiwara is meant to have its own version of that event, but it's supposed to fire even later than the 1600s and target a different province. So that's broken, too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Also, you're not done screwing around with the New World, right? I see a lot of placeholders for things (I flipped my poo poo for a minute when I saw the Inca religious icon), so I hope there's more to come.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Funky Valentine posted:

Also, you're not done screwing around with the New World, right? I see a lot of placeholders for things (I flipped my poo poo for a minute when I saw the Inca religious icon), so I hope there's more to come.

Religious icons are messed up because they changed how the game chooses them in between the old-version of CK2 I exported my save from and the current version of EU4.

Trying to fix it just broke all the regular icons for major religions, but I'm still working on it.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
Hungary seems to have Swedish ideas, for some reason.

There also seems to be a Portuguese exile-state in the Azores, amusingly enough, though that could be intentional.

DentedLamp fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 21, 2014

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012

Rincewind posted:

Religious icons are messed up because they changed how the game chooses them in between the old-version of CK2 I exported my save from and the current version of EU4.

Trying to fix it just broke all the regular icons for major religions, but I'm still working on it.

Yeah the African Pagan religion has a Christian icon. Also why does Great Zimbabwe only have that religion?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Gonna see if Transoxiana is viable!

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

DentedLamp posted:

Hungary seems to have Swedish ideas, for some reason.

King Greger is Swedish. Assumedly that's the line of logic for giving them Swedish ideas.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

LJN92 posted:

King Greger is Swedish. Assumedly that's the line of logic for giving them Swedish ideas.

That's the converter's fault. I thought I'd fixed all the weird culural edge cases like that, but I guess I missed Hungary.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Ah, I assume the culture map is gonna be prettified? Just had a glance at it.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Rejected Fate posted:

Ah, I assume the culture map is gonna be prettified? Just had a glance at it.

Don't be absurd, take in the Hui infections in all their glory~

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
Western Arms Trade still seems to be in the triggered modifier list; that doesn't sound like something thematically appropriate for a timeline with Eastern technological dominance, so I guess it should be reported.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

DentedLamp posted:

Western Arms Trade still seems to be in the triggered modifier list; that doesn't sound like something thematically appropriate for a timeline with Eastern technological dominance, so I guess it should be reported.

Good catch! I've been trying to stomp out things like that, but there's a lot of 'em. EU4 has a lot of moving parts.

At least I think I got all the units named "westernized [whatever], anyway.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
The trade routes are a bit funky. The apparently trade heavy Japan only has a trade route moving away from it so you can't really make much use of it's power. (Assuming of course that I understand how merchants work). The one in Indonesia/Malaysia isn't too bad from my quick look over.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Lord Windy posted:

The trade routes are a bit funky. The apparently trade heavy Japan only has a trade route moving away from it so you can't really make much use of it's power. (Assuming of course that I understand how merchants work). The one in Indonesia/Malaysia isn't too bad from my quick look over.

Japan should be receiving from California (which I've added) and Mexico (which it already did in Vanilla). I've noticed that sometimes the trade route arrows don't seem to appear when you're zoomed in close to Japan/Korea (and this was the case for the Mexico -> Japan route before I even touched the trade nodes, so I suppose it's some kind of EU4 graphics bug), but if you look at California or Mexico (or just click on the nodes and see where they're receiving from and forwarding to) they should be all hooked up.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Annam seems to be ruled by the legendary king No Ruler, as is like 90% of southern India.

Edit: The Ming holdouts also have Timurid ideas?

The knights of calatrava have spain's ideas. Aragon's ideas make reference to a nation that does not exist. As do Berber ideas. (Castille and the ottomans.)

Ming frontier ideas spell Early Gunpowder "Early Gundpowder."

Seljuk ideas are missing description text for "resist the ming."

Sou Ma Li and Buaso are ruled by a "Doge."

Mossi are missing description for the "Four Kingdoms" idea.

Thailand's last idea is just a placeholder.

Hilariously, Thailand has the papal states flag. (Is that intentional?)

We can't claim defender of the faith or make our leader a general because we have an empress. I thought we were playing with the gender equality mod? :v:

Also I'm annoyed that the Tarascans didn't get in. They get no love ever. :v:

Also the peublo get no bonus for completing their ideas.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 21, 2014

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
I've noticed a very significant bug/feature; in the Abyssinian provinces, there exists a "nogoods" trade good which bears the icon for grain and has attained a value/price of ~10 gold, making it easily the most valuable "trade good" in the game. It's inflating my income to a significant degree, to say the least.

Looking around a bit with the trade goods map filter, there seems to be more nogoods on the West African coast, around the Aral Sea, and by the Ural Mountains.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Rincewind posted:

That's the converter's fault. I thought I'd fixed all the weird culural edge cases like that, but I guess I missed Hungary.

You missed Wessex, too (it has German ideas).

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

NewMars posted:

Annam seems to be ruled by the legendary king No Ruler, as is like 90% of southern India.

Edit: The Ming holdouts also have Timurid ideas?

The knights of calatrava have spain's ideas. Aragon's ideas make reference to a nation that does not exist. As do Berber ideas. (Castille and the ottomans.)

Ming frontier ideas spell Early Gunpowder "Early Gundpowder."

Seljuk ideas are missing description text for "resist the ming."

Sou Ma Li and Buaso are ruled by a "Doge."

Mossi are missing description for the "Four Kingdoms" idea.

Thailand's last idea is just a placeholder.

Hilariously, Thailand has the papal states flag. (Is that intentional?)

We can't claim defender of the faith or make our leader a general because we have an empress. I thought we were playing with the gender equality mod? :v:

Also I'm annoyed that the Tarascans didn't get in. They get no love ever. :v:

Also the peublo get no bonus for completing their ideas.

I'm pretty sure that women not being able to be generals or defender of the faith is hard-coded, which blows. Then again, given how CK2 went, we probably shouldn't be sending our monarchs of either gender into battle anymore. :v:

If I went and removed every reference to actual history from the ideas of nations that still have vanilla ideas I'd probably be working on the mod for a billion years, but I'll look into the rest of this.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Rincewind posted:

I'm pretty sure that women not being able to be generals or defender of the faith is hard-coded, which blows. Then again, given how CK2 went, we probably shouldn't be sending our monarchs of either gender into battle anymore. :v:

If I went and removed every reference to actual history from the ideas of nations that still have vanilla ideas I'd probably be working on the mod for a billion years, but I'll look into the rest of this.

Could you not just make our present ruler male in the game, so she can lead armies and prod buttock, whilst referring to her in the thread by her true Gender? Or would her gender have other consequences?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

BwenGun posted:

Could you not just make our present ruler male in the game, so she can lead armies and prod buttock, whilst referring to her in the thread by her true Gender? Or would her gender have other consequences?

Gender is much less consequential in EU4 than in, say, CK2, but it still affects how her title is localized, pronouns in events, and probably some other stuff.

I've gone through and changed a lot of the "he" pronouns in events involving advisors/generals/etc. (and I'm still working on finding more of those) to "they" since the non-monarch leader name lists for most of the more important countries have had female names added to them, so all of the female generals and councilors we had in CK2 don't suddenly vanish without a trace. Only heirs and rulers in EU4 actually have a gender-- the game just assumes that everyone else is male, I guess. I don't really feel like rewriting the localization for like every single event in the game (and then changing every single female name in every single country file to "male") just so we can also use our empress as a general in a time period where monarchs riding into battle and getting themselves killed was probably becoming less common, anyway. I'll just hope that Paradox eventually makes that moddable. It used to be the restriction of female generals in CK2 was hard-coded, IIRC, so you never know.

EDIT: Given our emperors' and empress' track record on the battlefield, I really shouldn't let any of them lead armies.

EDIT EDIT: Or, to sum up all that more succinctly, it'd be a lot of work for a result that's (arguably) even less optimal than not letting some of our monarchs be generals.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 21, 2014

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rincewind posted:

EDIT: Given our emperors' and empress' track record on the battlefield, I really shouldn't let any of them lead armies.

Putting down a bet that you will be in a PU under Kiev by the third update.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

ZearothK posted:

Putting down a bet that you will be in a PU under Kiev by the third update.

I want in on this bet. Put me down for Lithuania by the fifth update.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rincewind posted:

Gender is much less consequential in EU4 than in, say, CK2, but it still affects how her title is localized, pronouns in events, and probably some other stuff.

I've gone through and changed a lot of the "he" pronouns in events involving advisors/generals/etc. (and I'm still working on finding more of those) to "they" since the non-monarch leader name lists for most of the more important countries have had female names added to them, so all of the female generals and councilors we had in CK2 don't suddenly vanish without a trace. Only heirs and rulers in EU4 actually have a gender-- the game just assumes that everyone else is male, I guess. I don't really feel like rewriting the localization for like every single event in the game (and then changing every single female name in every single country file to "male") just so we can also use our empress as a general in a time period where monarchs riding into battle and getting themselves killed was probably becoming less common, anyway. I'll just hope that Paradox eventually makes that moddable. It used to be the restriction of female generals in CK2 was hard-coded, IIRC, so you never know.

EDIT EDIT: Or, to sum up all that more succinctly, it'd be a lot of work for a result that's (arguably) even less optimal than not letting some of our monarchs be generals.

Doesn't Paradox have a dev that works on modding features now? You might put in a request on their forums for this - the impression I have is that they don't really know exactly what the players want to be moddable, so they listen to requests.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Jazerus posted:

Doesn't Paradox have a dev that works on modding features now? You might put in a request on their forums for this - the impression I have is that they don't really know exactly what the players want to be moddable, so they listen to requests.

I went ahead and put in a request, although obviously even if Gars can do something about it it won't be in time for this LP. Maybe the next one...

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Honestly, I agree that the no female monarch generals thing is not a great big deal. I'm more annoyed at not being able to claim defender of the faith as one.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

NewMars posted:

Honestly, I agree that the no female monarch generals thing is not a great big deal. I'm more annoyed at not being able to claim defender of the faith as one.

Yeah, that's more annoying. I guess we should all just settle in and accept the new defender of the Orthodox faith, the Kingdom of France.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
Amusingly enough, a lot of Western European nations have been turning Catholic across the two games of this I've played, with France being forced to convert in both.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

DentedLamp posted:

Amusingly enough, a lot of Western European nations have been turning Catholic across the two games of this I've played, with France being forced to convert in both.

Did you happen to notice what made France convert? I've left most of the big Orthodox countries with a scattering of Catholic provinces because I didn't really like how everyone just immediately flipped to Orthodoxy in, like, one day in CK2-- but if France is managing to get broken by Catholic rebels I should really go in and make their provinces more Orthodox.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Rincewind posted:

Did you happen to notice what made France convert? I've left most of the big Orthodox countries with a scattering of Catholic provinces because I didn't really like how everyone just immediately flipped to Orthodoxy in, like, one day in CK2-- but if France is managing to get broken by Catholic rebels I should really go in and make their provinces more Orthodox.

No, I think it was more a coincidence of France getting hit by some nasty events and being the target of surrounding nations in both games. I saw the formation of a very large Auvergne within 30 years of the first game due to nationalist rebels, in addition to the formation of Aragon and a variety of minors, so I'm guessing France just succumbed to Catholic zealots after losing their army to wars with the HRE (and their posse) and some kind of Occitain nationalism surge. The second game, on the other hand, had France go through an unusually early Time of Troubles (or whatever it's called) and the problems that brought; I declared on them in the midst of the ToT and crushed their armies, and while they managed to keep Aragon and Auvergne, they did again succumb to Catholic zealots in addition to losing Wallonia/Flanders.

Only two cases of it reported thus far, so you may want to ask others about their religious observations of Western Europe for more input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So I remember you saying that Transoxiana was going to be historical friends and allies with Yilang but they're not at the moment. ...I think I'll wait to see if they're survivable.

• Locked thread