Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Lightning Jim posted:

I heard that one on The Colbert Report so I went and found the guy's interview on Coast to Coast AM. Fairly well detailed and imaginative...execpt for the fact the guy really believes it. :smith: I'd buy that book.

Andrew Basiago - the guy claiming - has a site on this: http://www.projectpegasus.net/

I can't believe you posted that link without posting the Loud Shirts link

http://www.rubberchickenforthesoul.com/mamboloud.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

emfive posted:

I can't believe you posted that link without posting the Loud Shirts link

http://www.rubberchickenforthesoul.com/mamboloud.html

Because I didn't even notice it. Sweet jesus...

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm actually incredulous at how crazy people can be. Now, I understand doubting that we really landed on the moon, despite all the evidence saying yes, we did. I can understand thinking the all-powerful government must have been behind 9/11 because if they couldn't stop that they're not really all-powerful Iluminati lizardmen.

But never once had it crossed my mind that there could possibly out there be people who say the loving Moon is fake.

Seriously. The moon. Something that has been known to exist for as long as we've existed. Is a hologram. That was put up there RECENTLY.

The loving moon.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
If there's no moon then how do these conspiracy folk explain werewolves, hm?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Prism posted:

Do they just see an optical illusion when they look up at night (OK, most nights) or something? A big ball of swamp gas?
It's a space station.
(I'm sorry, I'll just leave.)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Werewolves were created by the Assamite to help cover for the Malkavian's constant issues. Having a fake moon was necessary for the myth to work.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I wonder how moon landing conspiracists react to this. Like if you're all prepared to launch into your rant about how the government faked the moon landing, and the other guy just one-ups you with 'Oh well of course that was fake, after all, there isn't any moon at all!' does that ever make you question the path you are on? Or do they just plunge down the rabbit hole?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lightning Jim posted:

Got linked to this on Facebook (thankfully by someone who also thinks this is crazy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdtNsfHGgU0

I simply cannot understand the mindset that the moon is fake. Is this an example of Capgras delusion?

Funny you should mention this. Last night there was a show on about the moon and that there's structures and other poo poo there. They show pictures of old NASA/Russian photos and then overlay the apparent structures with colors to show how they think they look(ed). Highlights included a tower estimated to be about 20km tall and multiple locations that are/were alien Helium-3 mining operations. Some interviews with Buzz Aldran were thrown in too, mainly with him saying he doesn't want to discuss specific things, and then discussion of how Neil Armstrong during the moonwalk's communication issues switched to a medical channel and aid something like "they're here and watching us".

It made the ancient astronauts ("aliens")guy from the History channel look really tame and rational. It must've been on Syfy because one of the commercials was for Sharknado 2. I cannot remember what the show's called, it was on last night and it's like 2 hours or more. I went to bed before it ended but they had moved on to discussing Phobos and pictures of some 25km needle-like UFO that rammed the Soviets' probes to destroy them and apparently the stuff was all aired on TV in Russia back when it happened decades ago.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lightning Jim posted:

Got linked to this on Facebook (thankfully by someone who also thinks this is crazy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdtNsfHGgU0

I simply cannot understand the mindset that the moon is fake. Is this an example of Capgras delusion?

We've done it. We've found the craziest thing

e: "That would be the so-called Earth" Holy poo poo, does he think that the Earth is a hologram too?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Forgall posted:

It's a space station.
(I'm sorry, I'll just leave.)

Don't worry about it; that's actually one of the real "fake moon" theories.

Ashcans posted:

I wonder how moon landing conspiracists react to this. Like if you're all prepared to launch into your rant about how the government faked the moon landing, and the other guy just one-ups you with 'Oh well of course that was fake, after all, there isn't any moon at all!' does that ever make you question the path you are on? Or do they just plunge down the rabbit hole?
It's about the same as the no planers in the 9/11 Truther movement.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Extraterrestrial activity in the solar system, past and present, is at least kind of plausible and interesting. Space is big and there are plenty of places to hide, and if they aren't interested in talking to us it would be in the interest of governments to keep these ideas on the fringe.

QuarkJets posted:

e: "That would be the so-called Earth" Holy poo poo, does he think that the Earth is a hologram too?

"The moon is a hologram" sounds like something flat earthers would come up with. It's turtles all the way down.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Wow this is one long-running conspiracy. William Blake and every person in Chinese antiquity were in on it, too.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

McDowell posted:

Extraterrestrial activity in the solar system, past and present, is at least kind of plausible and interesting. Space is big and there are plenty of places to hide, and if they aren't interested in talking to us it would be in the interest of governments to keep these ideas on the fringe.

I actually think it's likely that if interstellar flight is achievable, extraterrestrials have visited our solar system at some point. However, humanity has existed for ~10,000 years out of ~4.5 billion, so it's exceedingly unlikely they visited us.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

QuarkJets posted:

We've done it. We've found the craziest thing

They probably believe that we don't have the technology or have never actually taken a picture of the earth from space, therefore it's fake! That the same guy believes we have the ability to project a gigantic moon hologram doesn't dissuade at all, because if there's anything about idiots it's their ability to hold completely contradictory beliefs and never compare or question any of them.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 21, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

razorrozar posted:

I actually think it's likely that if interstellar flight is achievable, extraterrestrials have visited our solar system at some point. However, humanity has existed for ~10,000 years out of ~4.5 billion, so it's exceedingly unlikely they visited us.

I entertain a couple ideas: either there are artifacts left behind or they showed up and never left. Planets like Earth could still be very rare, so aliens passing through could leave behind some stuff for an advanced civilization to find (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3753_Cruithne) or once they found a planet with a biosphere they stuck around to study it.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Poe's Law, read the rest of the site, its mocking historical revisionists in general. though I quite like "Canadians did 9/11". (though there are REAL people who think the moon is fake too)

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 21, 2014

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Laphroaig posted:

Poe's Law, read the rest of the site, its mocking historical revisionists in general. though I quite like "Canadians did 9/11". (though there are REAL people who think the moon is fake too)

Fair point; although I don't doubt the jist of his arguements are held by the real fake moon believers.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Lightning Jim posted:

Still working through it but I doubt it's actually mentioned, but here's the crazy reasons that those are waved away by these group of people:

http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/Feedback4.htm

And this: http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/Feedback5.htm

I think that site is actually pulling the piss. Have a read off the main page, its basically a site that parodies holocaust denialism by trying to apply the reasoning to other things such as if jews exist at all , the sun not existing, and so on.

Relax, its a joke!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sir Tonk posted:

Werewolves were created by the Assamite to help cover for the Malkavian's constant issues. Having a fake moon was necessary for the myth to work.

Silly vamp watcher! This is clearly the work of NWO, itself a subconvention of the Technocratic Union :tinfoil:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

quote:

And just which ancients were those, dare I ask? Do you know that there is no mention of the moon in the English language prior to the year 1066? That is a little known fact that Lunarists often fail to mention.

I just had to stop reading there, hahahahaha because there wasn't even anything we could call an English language prior to that year.

Edit: :thejoke:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Coincidentally, holograms were first invented in 1066.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

razorrozar posted:

How likely? I mean, if you like the theory that life was seeded here by an interstellar asteroid then yeah, extraterrestrials have come to our solar system. But you're probably referring to intelligent extraterrestrials visiting Earth during a time in which it wasn't just a molten rock, which requires many additional assumptions. Then you're also assuming that they have the will to send a vessel to another star system on a journey that will take millions of years at minimum and that the individuals that were sent managed to survive this journey, OR that they have discovered a method for traveling faster than the speed of light. And then you're assuming that they came to our star system specifically, when there are hundreds of billions of stars in this galaxy alone.

Those are many assumptions.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

QuarkJets posted:

How likely? I mean, if you like the theory that life was seeded here by an interstellar asteroid then yeah, extraterrestrials have come to our solar system. But you're probably referring to intelligent extraterrestrials visiting Earth during a time in which it wasn't just a molten rock, which requires many additional assumptions. Then you're also assuming that they have the will to send a vessel to another star system on a journey that will take millions of years at minimum and that the individuals that were sent managed to survive this journey, OR that they have discovered a method for traveling faster than the speed of light. And then you're assuming that they came to our star system specifically, when there are hundreds of billions of stars in this galaxy alone.

Those are many assumptions.

I did specify "if interstellar flight is achievable". It very well might not be, much as the romantic in me wants to believe, and if it's not of course they haven't been here.

In fact, given that we haven't detected massive interstellar trade routes, it's pretty likely FTL is either a pipe dream or so far beyond our reach that it amounts to a pipe dream. Or that not enough interstellar societies exist to form the kind of communities that would use them.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

razorrozar posted:

I did specify "if interstellar flight is achievable". It very well might not be, much as the romantic in me wants to believe, and if it's not of course they haven't been here.

In fact, given that we haven't detected massive interstellar trade routes, it's pretty likely FTL is either a pipe dream or so far beyond our reach that it amounts to a pipe dream. Or that not enough interstellar societies exist to form the kind of communities that would use them.

A possibility I don't see mentioned much is the galaxy could be full of intelligent life and interstellar travel possible, but humans happen to be the most technologically advanced because all the other species are even dumber and more shortsighted. Like, the entire rest of the galaxy is like America in Idiocracy, and our dumb asses (that is, human kind) end up being the voice of reason. :eng99:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

razorrozar posted:

There are no insurmountable barriers to interstellar travel. Faster-than-light interstellar travel seems improbable, but who knows what the future holds? Even going by early estimates that terrestrial planets couldn't form until about 6-7,000,000,000 years into the universe's existence (the early part of this range is being pushed back as we learn more about the universe), that still leaves as much as 8,000,000,000 years for a civilization to arise and set out on a long, long, long journey across the galaxy.

It took humans somewhere in the neighborhood of 200,000 years to go from slogging around barefoot to the Wright Flyer, but we were walking on the freaking moon 60 years after that.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

A possibility I don't see mentioned much is the galaxy could be full of intelligent life and interstellar travel possible, but humans happen to be the most technologically advanced because all the other species are even dumber and more shortsighted.

This is discussed, but, if we assume there are huge numbers of intelligent species out there, it's statistically unlikely that we just happen to be the oldest/smartest/most advanced.

Centripetal Horse fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 23, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
It seems like this debate is sort of pointless. We all know that aliens have visited us because they left us a prophet in the former racecar driver from France, Rael ne Claude Vorilhon.

The aliens made it abundantly clear that we (as creations of human scientists on a different planet) were doomed without the cessation of all war via group sex and gratuitous female toplessness. If we do replace war with boinking they'll give us a bunch of totally sweet space technology.

Oh, also Jesus was resurrected via human cloning by the Elohim.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Centripetal Horse posted:

This is discussed, but, if we assume there are huge numbers of intelligent species out there, it's statistically unlikely that we just happen to be the oldest/smartest/most advanced.

But we could easily be those things within a certain volume of space.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

But we could easily be those things within a certain volume of space.

Well if a more advanced alien species had developed some exotic method of FTL travel and communication, we wouldn't know what to look for. It's a bit like looking for train tracks as proof of civilization when everybody travels by planes. So a project like SETI that's focused on radio transmissions, might just be looking for a needle in a haystack without any needles in it.

To give a little perspective, on the one planet we know of capable of sustaining life it took about a billion years to go from single-celled organisms to multicellular organisms. Then it took another two billion years to get around to making an predator that evolved 'intelligence' as it's schtick, and even then it was a close call. The local chimps at the zoo probably have more genetic diversity than the entire human race.

So it is completely plausible that any planets in our local neighborhood capable of supporting life are probably covered with lichens, or whatever the local alien equivalent is. Similarly, it's plausible that any alien intelligence that noticed Earth billions of years ago just saw Earth as a mold planet. I doubt the aliens camped out around us for billions to see if we evolved. (Stardate 31543.34 The poop throwers figured out the internet. Still throwing poop.)

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 23, 2014

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Don't listen to the Raelians. Love has outlasted man's machines. What's new today goes out of style. Everyone's gone computer-crazy, far away from where love originated.

So don't go to the supermarket today.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

thrakkorzog posted:

So it is completely plausible that any planets in our local neighborhood capable of supporting life are probably covered with lichens, or whatever the local alien equivalent is. Similarly, it's plausible that any alien intelligence that noticed Earth billions of years ago just saw Earth as a mold planet. I doubt the aliens camped out around us for billions to see if we evolved. (Stardate 31543.34 The poop throwers figured out the internet. Still throwing poop.)

This also raises the point that we can't even really interact with most of the universe, which is just dark matter and dark energy. There could be tons of intelligent life that we have no way of ever meeting

thrakkorzog posted:

We don't actually have any idea of how life began on Earth. You can't give a likelihood on events that we know absolutely nothing about. It's plausible, but we have no idea how likely it is that life exists anywhere in our "neighborhood" no matter how you happen to define that term

Any speculation on whether or not life has visited our solar system is just that: speculation

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 23, 2014

Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost
May as well throw in a bit of strangeness I encountered myself.

A friend of mine and friend of his once basically told me that the moon landing footage is fake. Flag blowing, shadows, etc. I couldn't really refute it well since I had no idea that people even thought this and what those claims were.

However, the moon landing actually happened.
Yes, the moon landing happened, it's specifically the original (and really stunning) footage you see that's faked to deceive people.

I have no idea how you arrive at that kind of result. My best guess is that due to their background, they'd have an understanding of the Physics and that going to the moon is completely plausible. I don't know how the other part figures into this however.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Ztarlit_Sky posted:

A friend of mine and friend of his once basically told me that the moon landing footage is fake. Flag blowing, shadows, etc. I couldn't really refute it well since I had no idea that people even thought this and what those claims were.

Yes, the moon landing happened, it's specifically the original (and really stunning) footage you see that's faked to deceive people.

I have no idea how you arrive at that kind of result. My best guess is that due to their background, they'd have an understanding of the Physics and that going to the moon is completely plausible. I don't know how the other part figures into this however.

This sounds a bit like the mockumentary "dark side of the moon", in which they pretended Stanley Kubrick was on standby to provide footage of a fake moonlanding if things went wrong.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Ztarlit_Sky posted:

This sounds like a fallback position to me. The most persuasive-sounding arguments for the moon landing being faked are all about "inconsistencies" in the footage, but the strongest arguments for it being real sidestep all that and point to things like the reflector we left up there, and the fact that thousands of people watched the lander via telescope. So if someone got suckered in with flagchat, and then got confronted with all the other evidence, it would be pretty natural to fall back on "well, it happened, but the footage itself was fake!" as a way to save face.

To be clear, I don't think any of the "fake footage" arguments make sense, but the only way to disprove them would be to go to the moon and make a video showing that's how flags and jumping and everything would work, but that obviously didn't convince these people the last time we did it.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

thrakkorzog posted:

Well if a more advanced alien species had developed some exotic method of FTL travel and communication, we wouldn't know what to look for. It's a bit like looking for train tracks as proof of civilization when everybody travels by planes. So a project like SETI that's focused on radio transmissions, might just be looking for a needle in a haystack without any needles in it.

To give a little perspective, on the one planet we know of capable of sustaining life it took about a billion years to go from single-celled organisms to multicellular organisms. Then it took another two billion years to get around to making an predator that evolved 'intelligence' as it's schtick, and even then it was a close call. The local chimps at the zoo probably have more genetic diversity than the entire human race.

I think at minimum the fact that we are just developing practical invisibility means that any starfaring race and their technology would not be directly observable. Any species that masters interstellar flight and doesn't self-destruct through war or whatever can colonize the entire galaxy in 200,000 years max even if FTL travel isn't possible. Given billion year time frames this either never happens (because civilizations always destroy themselves so frequently that the chance of any 2 civilizations advancing to interstellar travel at the same time is vanishingly small) or it has already happened long ago, and all the galaxies are so blotted with invisible alien tech that it noticeably affects their rotational velocities.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 23, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

amanasleep posted:

I think at minimum the fact that we are just developing practical invisibility means that any starfaring race and their technology would not be directly observable. Any species that masters interstellar flight and doesn't self-destruct through war or whatever can colonize the entire galaxy in 200,000 years max even if FTL travel isn't possible. Given billion year time frames this either never happens (because civilizations always destroy themselves so frequently that the chance of any 2 civilizations advancing to interstellar travel at the same time is vanishingly small) or it has already happened long ago, and the galaxy is so blotted with invisible alien tech that it noticeably affects their rotational velocities.

How will a race without FTL travel even traverse the galaxy in 200,000 years, let alone colonize it?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Evil Fluffy posted:

How will a race without FTL travel even traverse the galaxy in 200,000 years, let alone colonize it?

Generational ships.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah my idea that aliens have been here / are here assumes it takes decades if not centuries to travel between solar systems, and once you are living in space that long you just stay there. Earth would be of interest to such a civilization for study, not colonization.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

Yeah my idea that aliens have been here / are here assumes it takes decades if not centuries to travel between solar systems, and once you are living in space that long you just stay there. Earth would be of interest to such a civilization for study, not colonization.
they just want to probe our butts

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Forgall posted:

but I poop from there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Forgall posted:

This never made sense to me. What is an alien supposed to learn by sticking metal up someone's rear end that they couldn't learn better with an external scanner? If we can do it with external scanners and they're supposed to be so far beyond us, why the impromptu colonoscopy?

• Locked thread