Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Dongattack posted:

No probs! Which one was it?

I have no idea! I disabled everything and re-entered the cutscene and everything went fine. Quit, disabled all mods except for stuff that broke things when I turned them all off (like SPERG) played through the boss fight, saved, turned all of them back on and not only did everything work fine, but the Thieves Guild is back to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I really wish there were an alternative to the Nexus run by people who understand that video game mods are just loving video game mods and that if you feel entitled to praise/recognition for putting together a derivative work you are weird and sort of a doofus.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

sinking belle posted:

I really wish there were an alternative to the Nexus run by people who understand that video game mods are just loving video game mods and that if you feel entitled to praise/recognition for putting together a derivative work you are weird and sort of a doofus.

It'd never catch on. People wouldn't leave the Nexus because they love their hugbox.

Burns
May 10, 2008

LtSmash posted:

In awful modding news the nexus is debating allowing authors the ability to exclude others from making patches to their work or use their mod as a master or modify it in any way without explicit permission and have the right to take down those that are contrary to their 'artistic vision'. Its currently in the author only forum but if you are one you can read it here. Arthmoor is of course crusading for it.

He has argued that dynamic patchers like wrye bash, ASIS, or Automatic Variants don't violate it since they do not distribute anything. I offered to make a dynamic patch that changed the oblivion gates in his mod to disabled and since it doesn't distribute any of his work it should be fine with him. Any suggestions for a name for that patcher? I was thinking Automatic Gatecrasher.

Anyone who has access to the modder forum should go and point out how stupid it is.

These people. These people are going to run modding ES games to the ground. Just because Bethesda has given them the tools to make whatever changes they want to the game suddenly they are arguing for not letting others make changes to their changes to a game they don't own. At this rate Bethesda will simply lock out modding in future games and call it a day (a day that will also finally kill the Elder Scrolls forever). This would also happen if they added any form of multiplayer and I wish please stop pining for that poo poo.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
'autistic vision' more like

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So basically I haven't played Skyrim in about two years. I had previously modded it, but nothing's been updated since then. Obviously all the different programs and mods have been updated since then. I'm not even sure what mods I have in it. I picked up the legendary edition today as it was cheaper then getting the indivual expansions. I thought like with the Fallout Ultimate Versions I'd get a seperate steam install (free to mod again and keep my older files safe)....that didn't happen. I'm just wondering is it worth it to just take the save files and back them up and then just do a fresh install vs trying to update the mods and programs, as I want to add the patches and other GEMS that came out in the last two years. I'm also wondering if since its Steam my old mods are horribly invalidated due to official patches.

So my options are stick with the old possibly horribly out of date one, save my files and try them in a reinstalled and modded game, or just start totally fresh, just not sure which to do. I'm sure the last two years of mods are great, I just don't want two days of modding the game before I can play.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If your saves are in the Steam cloud you don't even have to back them up. Start fresh and use the recommended stuff from the OP.

Your saves might be beyond help in any case, if the mods in them are that far out of date. You might not be able to get them to work.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

razorrozar posted:

If your saves are in the Steam cloud you don't even have to back them up. Start fresh and use the recommended stuff from the OP.

Your saves might be beyond help in any case, if the mods in them are that far out of date. You might not be able to get them to work.

Yeah that's what I'm learning towards. On one hand there goes 45 hours (granted that's still 150 less then everyone else I know on steam), but on the other hand, now I have tons more mods and fixes open to me that will probably enhance the game even more.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Speaking of old Steam Cloud saves, I've been playing an old save of mine and despite having a few old mods on it at some point, the save works great... except the main quest seems disabled. No journal entries. No word wall/dragon soul absorption. I can't progress past the dragon fight at the western watch tower. I don't really want to start over since this character is level 23 and I just don't have the patience to play through Skyrims lovely low level content. I've looked at the save in Wrye Bash and theres no mods that affect the save so I don't know. Is there anyway to transfer this character to a new save? I don't mind redoing quests but I don't wanna have to relevel/recreate my character.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah it's called the console. Showracemenu to get the character info or save the specific values then on a new character use advskill with a number like 10-100 to slowly advance your skills to the desired values.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Upmarket Mango posted:

Speaking of old Steam Cloud saves, I've been playing an old save of mine and despite having a few old mods on it at some point, the save works great... except the main quest seems disabled. No journal entries. No word wall/dragon soul absorption. I can't progress past the dragon fight at the western watch tower. I don't really want to start over since this character is level 23 and I just don't have the patience to play through Skyrims lovely low level content. I've looked at the save in Wrye Bash and theres no mods that affect the save so I don't know. Is there anyway to transfer this character to a new save? I don't mind redoing quests but I don't wanna have to relevel/recreate my character.

Are you using an alternate start mode, like "live another life?" If so, you need to follow that mod's instructions on how to start the main quest.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Are you using an alternate start mode, like "live another life?" If so, you need to follow that mod's instructions on how to start the main quest.

No alternate start mods. Even the old save downloaded from Steam Cloud doesn't have any beginning alteration mods listed in Wrye Base, so I'm confused as to why the main quest is dead.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
When you find Serana can you just bring her directly to the Dawnguard? I just realized there's nothing stopping me from doing that really and over dozens of playthroughs I've never considered just heading south-east after Dimhollow instead of west.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Upmarket Mango posted:

No alternate start mods. Even the old save downloaded from Steam Cloud doesn't have any beginning alteration mods listed in Wrye Base, so I'm confused as to why the main quest is dead.

Did...you finish it by chance? I assume you've checked completed quests?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Did...you finish it by chance? I assume you've checked completed quests?

I looked but no I didn't. It's not litsted under completed quests or anything. I was able to get the dragonstone from bleakfalls and bring it to the whiterun jarl and have the dragon attack the watch tower, but without the absorbiton ability I can't do anything beyond that. Using the console to force start the quest or advance will result in a message telling me my journal has been updated or what have you but the journal isn't updated.

Actually, I would be happy enough if I could use a console command to just complete the MQ and give me all the relevant powers and abilities. I would assume doing it this way means any relevant flags the game tracks are properly checked too, right? Anybody aware of any possible issues with this method? My biggest concern with all this is the DLC (which I haven't started yet) getting hosed up somehow because of this.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Dongattack posted:

When you find Serana can you just bring her directly to the Dawnguard? I just realized there's nothing stopping me from doing that really and over dozens of playthroughs I've never considered just heading south-east after Dimhollow instead of west.

I believe if you do, they just say something along the lines of "This is weird, but hey, why don't you just do what the vampire lady says and report back."

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Upmarket Mango posted:

I looked but no I didn't. It's not litsted under completed quests or anything. I was able to get the dragonstone from bleakfalls and bring it to the whiterun jarl and have the dragon attack the watch tower, but without the absorbiton ability I can't do anything beyond that. Using the console to force start the quest or advance will result in a message telling me my journal has been updated or what have you but the journal isn't updated.

Actually, I would be happy enough if I could use a console command to just complete the MQ and give me all the relevant powers and abilities. I would assume doing it this way means any relevant flags the game tracks are properly checked too, right? Anybody aware of any possible issues with this method? My biggest concern with all this is the DLC (which I haven't started yet) getting hosed up somehow because of this.

If it were me, I'd start a new game over using the console. Since you already know the main quest is broken, it'd suck to play another 40 hours, and then stumble onto more broken poo poo that you didn't notice earlier. It'd also give you the opportunity to update your mods/unofficial patches.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Crappy Jack posted:

I believe if you do, they just say something along the lines of "This is weird, but hey, why don't you just do what the vampire lady says and report back."

Hmm, i absolutely adore Bethesda and all, but it says something about their rigid quest-structure when I didn't even consider the option of going against the obvious objective until after about 1000 hours into the game. Or it says something about me D:

Would be cool with some more quest depth for the next TES, but I'm hoping for a more deep combat system first.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Upmarket Mango posted:

Not being able to absorb dragon souls is a known issue that has something to do with having the DragonBorn DLC and the unofficial skyrim patch, but not the unofficial Dragonborn patch. That might have something to do with this. It's worth it to grab all the unofficial DLC patches (if you have corresponding DLCs) and double check your load order for them as well. I realize you've got other symptoms going on, but this might be part of the answer.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Upmarket Mango posted:

I had something similar come up once. I could get to the watchtower, kill the dragon and all that, but then it just sort of stopped.

I just used the console to skip the quest along to the next part of the quest. According to one of the wikis, the command is setstage MQ104 90

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dongattack posted:

Hmm, i absolutely adore Bethesda and all, but it says something about their rigid quest-structure when I didn't even consider the option of going against the obvious objective until after about 1000 hours into the game. Or it says something about me D:

Would be cool with some more quest depth for the next TES, but I'm hoping for a more deep combat system first.

I kinda hope Bethesda go backward to the encyclopedia approach of npc dialogue like in Morrowind and Daggerfall. Writing is not their strong point, so I'd rather them just put the effort elsewhere since I don't play their games for riveting storytelling.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Uhn posted:

Does enb work on laptops? I'm having trouble getting any of the effects to work from some of the popular presets, and it can't seem to detect anything but my integrated graphics. I have a gtx 660m as the dedicated graphics card.

Use the injector version of ENB instead of the wrapper if you have an Optimus setup for your laptop. I have an optimus setup and I need to use the injector version instead of the wrapper. It works, trust me. I use enboost settings for my laptop instead of the graphical goodness, but I could just throw in a graphical setting and it'd work. As long as it's the injector version.

Uhn
Oct 6, 2011

here comes george
in control

IAmTheRad posted:

Use the injector version of ENB instead of the wrapper if you have an Optimus setup for your laptop. I have an optimus setup and I need to use the injector version instead of the wrapper. It works, trust me. I use enboost settings for my laptop instead of the graphical goodness, but I could just throw in a graphical setting and it'd work. As long as it's the injector version.

So the issue is that I'm using the wrapper version, not that it's only detecting my integrated graphics? I'll try that when I get home, thanks.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well I have to say remodding the game is so much easier now with Mod Organizer then I remembered before, or at least from the days of Morrowind.

Quick question is the Game of Thrones mod any good...or should avoid it like the plague? I really like the CKII GOT mod and I would think that Skyrim would be a great building ground like CKII for a GoT mod.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

So, I'm looking for weird out there mods that just lift things from other games. I mean, the Mario/Portal/Zelda stuff is easy to find, but are there any other cool ones worth looking at?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

So you know how mods can gently caress around with the perk trees but not add new ones? I did something about that.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Wanting to get back into Skyrim again but having a problem (probably because I'm dumb). I'm trying to add some mods to the mod manager and it says "can't be added". Tried restart the mod manager, running as admin, downloading the mod again, nothing seems to work. Any other ideas?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

UoI posted:

Wanting to get back into Skyrim again but having a problem (probably because I'm dumb). I'm trying to add some mods to the mod manager and it says "can't be added". Tried restart the mod manager, running as admin, downloading the mod again, nothing seems to work. Any other ideas?

The solution is "use Mod Organizer."

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Agents are GO! posted:

The solution is "use Mod Organizer."

After learning how to use it and moving all the mods there everything works. I just liked NMM because it was super simple. :downs:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

gfanikf posted:

Well I have to say remodding the game is so much easier now with Mod Organizer then I remembered before, or at least from the days of Morrowind.

Quick question is the Game of Thrones mod any good...or should avoid it like the plague? I really like the CKII GOT mod and I would think that Skyrim would be a great building ground like CKII for a GoT mod.

It looks pretty mixed to me. The armors and shields look great but things like the iron throne and some of those faces are just awful.
Honestly I'd use it if I could just get a version that had the armors and shields, maybe some of the house banners too but I'd happily leave the rest.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
I'm having an issue with starting a new game. The intro wagon ride seems to be bugged out and doing flips and eventually the horse and cart get stuck on top of a mountain. I can see the little keep where the character creation stuff is supposed to happen and all the guys in the cart keep doing thier lines like nothings wrong but then it... just stops, no one says anyhting.

I'm pretty light on mods, have all the DLC and the unoffical patches, SkyUI, Immersive Weapons, Immersive Armour, SPERG, and Uncle Sheogorath.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

LtSmash posted:

So you know how mods can gently caress around with the perk trees but not add new ones? I did something about that.

drat dude, you don't quit. You know, I wondered if something like this were possible using the werewolf or vampire lord trees, but never had the skill to try it. Are there any limitations to your method? How many alternate trees can be used?

Also, regarding the Nexus' proposed rules about master files, are they going to make sure that anyone who hasn't logged into the Nexus for a certain amount of time relinquishes their right to challenge derivative mods? Say, six months or so. That would allow people to make patches without having to get permission from people who have abandoned their mods.

It's still dumb and unnecessary and only really seems to benefit Arthmoor. Hopefully they leave enforcement up to mod authors themselves, because I assume most of us couldn't give a gently caress about someone patching a mod.

Edit: What about collaborative mods like the USKP? Could Arthmoor refuse permission on a mod that he isn't the sole author of?

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 22, 2014

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Alasyre posted:

drat dude, you don't quit. You know, I wondered if something like this were possible using the werewolf or vampire lord trees, but never had the skill to try it. Are there any limitations to your method? How many alternate trees can be used?

Also, regarding the Nexus' proposed rules about master files, are they going to make sure that anyone who hasn't logged into the Nexus for a certain amount of time relinquishes their right to challenge derivative mods? Say, six months or so. That would allow people to make patches without having to get permission from people who have abandoned their mods.

It's still dumb and unnecessary and only really seems to benefit Arthmoor. Hopefully they leave enforcement up to mod authors themselves, because I assume most of us couldn't give a gently caress about someone patching a mod.

Edit: What about collaborative mods like the USKP? Could Arthmoor refuse permission on a mod that he isn't the sole author of?

I've read through a bit of the thread. The default option will be that the modder will retain the rights and nobody can use it and blah blah blah. There will be an option where if the modder disappears the mod will then be made freely available for anyone to use, but its not the default setting. Frankly this whole thing is dumb as hell.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Upmarket Mango posted:

I've read through a bit of the thread. The default option will be that the modder will retain the rights and nobody can use it and blah blah blah. There will be an option where if the modder disappears the mod will then be made freely available for anyone to use, but its not the default setting. Frankly this whole thing is dumb as hell.

So does this mean a mod like SMPC will not exist anymore, since that seems to be the kind of thing Arthmoor doesn't like?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Honestly who knows because I'm sure they don't.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

NuminaXLT posted:

I'm having an issue with starting a new game. The intro wagon ride seems to be bugged out and doing flips and eventually the horse and cart get stuck on top of a mountain. I can see the little keep where the character creation stuff is supposed to happen and all the guys in the cart keep doing thier lines like nothings wrong but then it... just stops, no one says anyhting.

Don't listen to them; something is definitely wrong.

Have you tried turning off clipping to float down the mountain to where you need to be? Maybe you can trigger the next part or get into that opening dungeon.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

NuminaXLT posted:

I'm pretty light on mods, have all the DLC and the unoffical patches, SkyUI, Immersive Weapons, Immersive Armour, SPERG, and Uncle Sheogorath.

You have something that is messing with the Helgen worldspace during the opening sequence. Post a mod list.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002

LLCoolJD posted:

Don't listen to them; something is definitely wrong.

Have you tried turning off clipping to float down the mountain to where you need to be? Maybe you can trigger the next part or get into that opening dungeon.

My first character didnt have this happen.. since your inmobile during the cart ride will no clipping "free" me from that?

Would it be better to just to find a save somewhere that just starts right at the character creation part? Im getting tired of hearing about how dude once hooked up with some chick at the place his heads gonna get chopped off at.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Do mods like immersive armor and immersive weapons play nice with Morrowloot? And if so, are they fairly lorefriendly, like do they avoid adding items that stick out as being blatantly COOL MOD ITEMS? From the titles I'd assume the answer is "yes" but just thought I'd check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

NuminaXLT posted:

It's immersive armor. The intro is heavily scripted and the script immersive armor runs when it starts messes with it. Just disable immersive armor until you're done with the wagon ride. Maybe weapons, sperg and uncle sheogorath too but I've never used them. I've definitely had that happen with immersive armor though.

• Locked thread