Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

Not as bad as Ducati mounting the kickstand into the oil pan, but still pretty bad.
Mine uses the coolant overflow tank as a load bearing member for the fairing mounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
These guys looked like they were having so much fun.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

Pope Mobile posted:

There are quite a lot of people who don't know the difference.

I'm assuming I'm one of them. I don't like my bars, but I guess it's because im 6'5 and everything seems way to loving small for me. My Buell 1125r is very large for a sportbike, at least the feel of it when you sit on it, not wheelbase wise. It's very relaxed compared to an actual supersport.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Mine uses the coolant overflow tank as a load bearing member for the fairing mounts.

I thought only Volvo did poo poo this dumb. My god.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Z3n posted:

This is the best terrible/amazing street riding video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxZUcAmZD0

These dudes are Greek, they used to have a bunch of nutty videos on youtube back in the day. You can probably still find them under Papastavrou Shops

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The Italian designer sits with the full-size fiberglass prototype of a new fairing on his drafting table, sipping an espresso as he carefully studies the proportions and curvature of the surface. Straight out of the prototype shop -- the form is perfect! He puts down the coffee, picks up the fairing, and carries it over to the hand-built preproduction frame in the center of the room. Crouching at the front of the motorcycle, he carefully slides the new fairing over the headlamp and suspension fork. It gently drops into place, and -- there's a *click*.

Frowning, the designer stands up and looks around the front end of the motorcycle. After a few seconds he spots it: the inside of one carefully crafted scallop interferes with the coolant overflow tank. The fairing fits, but this is a problem -- the mounting boss is bumping up against the side of the coolant tank. Moving the mounting point now would utterly ruin the lines of the surface. What to do now?

The designer steps back to his desk, tosses back the last of the coffee, and with a surly expression, picks up a cordless drill and a rivet gun.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yes. Yes.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Yeah, that's actually a pretty good summary of what Italian engineering is like. It will be beautiful and emotion-stirring, no matter the consequences!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

The Italian designer sits with the full-size fiberglass prototype of a new fairing on his drafting table, sipping an espresso as he carefully studies the proportions and curvature of the surface. Straight out of the prototype shop -- the form is perfect! He puts down the coffee, picks up the fairing, and carries it over to the hand-built preproduction frame in the center of the room. Crouching at the front of the motorcycle, he carefully slides the new fairing over the headlamp and suspension fork. It gently drops into place, and -- there's a *click*.

Frowning, the designer stands up and looks around the front end of the motorcycle. After a few seconds he spots it: the inside of one carefully crafted scallop interferes with the coolant overflow tank. The fairing fits, but this is a problem -- the mounting boss is bumping up against the side of the coolant tank. Moving the mounting point now would utterly ruin the lines of the surface. What to do now?

The designer steps back to his desk, tosses back the last of the coffee, and with a surly expression, picks up a cordless drill and a rivet gun.

:golfclap:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All boutique manufacturers make terrible design decisions in the name of style.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's that time of year again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxjtv6PCSVQ

be warned, there are a number of quite a few clips from fatal accidents :nms:

M42 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 21, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

M42 posted:

be warned, there are a number of clips from fatal accidents :nms:

Plenty instances of oblivious cagers causing wrecks, but so many of those are due to rider incompetence or inattention. So many bad riders. So many. :psyduck:

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
Running WOT into an intersection regardless of what color the light is isn't the best idea anyone on a bike has ever had.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

M42 posted:

holay gently caress.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
So many people who aren't alright.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

M42 posted:

:drat: Good video to learn from. Fair amount of target fixation (one of my issues), following too closely, and some just awfully stupid riding.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 21, 2014

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

M42 posted:

This poo poo right here is why I get so many "aren't you afraid of dying" questions when my riding habit comes up in discussion.

EDIT: Oh God so much bad riding

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 21, 2014

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxjtv6PCSVQ&t=344s
:allears:

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Incursus posted:

Running WOT into an intersection regardless of what color the light is isn't the best idea anyone on a bike has ever had.

I'm sorry but what does WOT stand for?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wide
Open
Throttle

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Agreed then, absolutely idiotic. God this video actually makes me feel better. Yes there are some accidents that are caused by cagers, but almost all of these are caused by people being over-confident show boating morons. I ride super mega cautiously (read: I'm boring), so I feel even safer now.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Agreed then, absolutely idiotic. God this video actually makes me feel better. Yes there are some accidents that are caused by cagers, but almost all of these are caused by people being over-confident show boating morons. I ride super mega cautiously (read: I'm boring), so I feel even safer now.

It's also worth noting that a lot of those videos are from Taiwan, and riding there is much different than riding in the USA. A lot of the videos are from Eastern European countries/Russia which I imagine is similar.

Edit: Also how in the hell did that motorcycle at ~25:10 end up on top of a telephone pole :psyduck:

HappyHelmet fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 22, 2014

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

M42 posted:

"let me just drag my loving rear end for a sec"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVdYXx4SdZc

how is it possible to be this bad at riding and still be alive

That technique is hilariously bad. How in the hell is that even remotely natural?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Barnsy posted:

That technique is hilariously bad. How in the hell is that even remotely natural?

I'm supposed to hang off the bike! *hangs rear end off bike while keeping head/shoulders/arms centered on the bars*

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Cyclists would have a much better reputation if they were all this cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhabgvIIXik

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Gullous posted:

Cyclists would have a much better reputation if they were all this cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhabgvIIXik

Apparently he's been riding a handbike recently. If there's a way to do trials on one I'm sure he'll figure it out. Seems like a cool guy.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I wish I knew how to make gifs without using a shoddy tool that adds a watermark.

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

ought ten posted:

Apparently he's been riding a handbike recently. If there's a way to do trials on one I'm sure he'll figure it out. Seems like a cool guy.

Yeah, he fell off his trials bike during a demo and injured his back (again). Don't think it was too severe, as far as bad back injuries go, but it severely hampered his movement :(

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

MetaJew posted:

I wish I knew how to make gifs without using a shoddy tool that adds a watermark.

GifCam.

Somewhere around 12:50 there's a "stunting" retard (in one of those 30+ bike group rides ofc) that slams into the corner of a parked car after a "wheelie". He then picks up his bike and rides off while the (supposed) owner of the car comes rushing out. The next thing shown is the same crash from another camera in the group, in which you can clearly hear the rider (with the second camera, not the crasher) repeat several times "get the gently caress out of there, get the gently caress out of there".

This makes me irrationally loving angry. Both the rider, the guy with the other camera AND the rest of the group (supposedly) think this is a-ok. If you gently caress up and damages someone elses stuff, own up. Don't run off like a loving three year old. loving douches.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 22, 2014

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Just Horizontal posted:

Yeah, he fell off his trials bike during a demo and injured his back (again). Don't think it was too severe, as far as bad back injuries go, but it severely hampered his movement :(

Maybe you know something I don't, but he fell last September doing a demo at Moto GP and he's been paralyzed from the waist down since. I don't think he's expected to walk again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MetaJew posted:

That backwards endo was mindblowing, holy poo poo.

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

ought ten posted:

Maybe you know something I don't, but he fell last September doing a demo at Moto GP and he's been paralyzed from the waist down since. I don't think he's expected to walk again.

Yeah, I take it back. He did fall off whilst doing a trials demo at a MotoGP, but when I first read the news the outcome wasn't yet clear. For some reason I thought he was going to be ok. I must have gotten confused with his first back accident. Bummer for him, Ashton was always fun to watch

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

ScienceAndMusic posted:

The one thing I'd love to do is create a highlight reel of helmet vs. improperly used helmet vs. no helmet when you see the accidents. I've been watching enough so far to see that the people with helmets are usually up and moving around post-accident while the people without them or with them improperly buckled (majority of the ones you see in Asia/Indonesia) are laying still, so they're either unconscious or dead.

Also, holy poo poo I am never touching a motorcycle anywhere near some of those places. :stare: Especially some of the drunken scooter rampages you see where they straight-up head on collide with another scooter and everyone is laying around unconscious (or dead). Then you watch as the uncaring public just rides on by like "whatever, not my problem".

Edit: me good at english

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Just Horizontal posted:

Yeah, I take it back. He did fall off whilst doing a trials demo at a MotoGP, but when I first read the news the outcome wasn't yet clear. For some reason I thought he was going to be ok. I must have gotten confused with his first back accident. Bummer for him, Ashton was always fun to watch

There hasn't been a whole lot of information since the accident, it took me a bit to get a somewhat recent account of his condition. It's a real shame, that's for sure.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ain't letting that stop him none, that's for sure

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

M42 posted:

I'm thinking about doing an effort post addressing every single one of these crashes, with the reason for failure, and ways to avoid. Obviously I don't have the knowledge or expertise to call every single one of these so it might need a bit of help filling out. I just need to figure out when. I feel like almost every single one of these accidents can be avoided, even the ones where it is clearly the cagers fault. Excessive speed, improper passing, unadvisable intersection approaches, and stunting seem to be the #1 reasons for crashes in this video. I think it could be a good learning opportunity for me as well.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Go for it man, get it started and other people will hop on board.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I'm thinking about doing an effort post addressing every single one of these crashes, with the reason for failure, and ways to avoid. Obviously I don't have the knowledge or expertise to call every single one of these so it might need a bit of help filling out. I just need to figure out when. I feel like almost every single one of these accidents can be avoided, even the ones where it is clearly the cagers fault. Excessive speed, improper passing, unadvisable intersection approaches, and stunting seem to be the #1 reasons for crashes in this video. I think it could be a good learning opportunity for me as well.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but I'm too lazy, you should def do it though.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

I think I'm gonna do it in segments. Its simply an information overload to do it all at once. I will do it in 15 minute segments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Most of the helpful tips will be "don't Russia".