Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Hoopy Frood posted:

I agree, and it's got me wondering now if there's any secret significance in the moves that Roy uses to help J.F Sebastian beat Tyrell in their chess game in Blade Runner.

quote:

10. WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE CHESS GAME?

The chess game between Tyrell and Sebastian uses the conclusion of a game
played between Anderssen and Kieseritzky, in London in 1851. It is considered
one of the most brilliant games ever played, and is universally known as "The
Immortal Game".

The Immortal Game, in algebraic notation, was as follows:

Anderssen - Kieseritzky (London 1851):

1 e4 e5 2 f4 exf4 3 Bc4 Qh4+ 4 Kf1 b5 5 Bxb5 Nf6 6 Nf3 Qh6 7 d3 Nh5 8 Nh4 Qg5
9 Nf5 c6 10 Rg1 cxb5 11 g4 Nf6 12 h4 Qg6 13 h5 Qg5 14 Qf3 Ng8 15 Bxf4 Qf6
16 Nc3 Bc5 17 Nd5 Qxb2 18 Bd6 Qxa1+ 19 Ke2 Bxg1 20 e5 Na6 21 Nxg7+ Kd8
22 Qf6+ Nxf6 23 Be7 Checkmate.

The chess boards in the film are not arranged exactly as they would in be the
Immortal Game, and Sebastian's board does not match Tyrell's.

The concept of immortality has obvious associations in the ensuing
confrontation between Tyrell and Batty. On one level, the chess games
represents the struggle of the replicants against the humans: the humans
consider the replicants pawns, to be removed one by one. The individual
replicants (pawns) are attempting to become immortal (a queen). At another
level, the game between Tyrell and Sebastian represents Batty stalking
Tyrell. Tyrell makes a fatal mistake in the chess game, and another fatal
mistake trying to reason with Batty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I finally saw Amazing Spider-Man 2.

A character named Dr. Jallings makes a brief appearance. The actor, JD Walsh, and the director, Marc Webb, both graduated from my old high school about a decade before I did, they might have been classmates and friends, I don't know. Anyway teacher who taught theater and film study was Ms. Jallings, which must be where they got the name. I am certain Walsh had her, because he came and talked to my class about acting and trying to make it professionally. The guy was cool, so I kinda cheer for him when I see him pop up in something.

I just thought it was cool to see a shout out to an old teacher in a big time movie like that.

deoju has a new favorite as of 06:36 on Jul 18, 2014

P-Zombie
Sep 6, 2012
In Planet of the Apes (1968), there is a scene where Zira and Cornelius try to explain to Taylor that "flight is a scientific impossibility". How can they believe this, when there are birds, and other such animals, in nature? Well, if you watch the film closely, we never see or hear a bird, or any other flying animal, at all.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If they had never seen anything flying, why would they have the word "flight?"

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
No, they're just talking about bees you see.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sagebrush posted:

If they had never seen anything flying, why would they have the word "flight?"

So, telepathy & telekinesis exist? Or did when the words were thought up?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What about insects? That part of the movie never made sense to me other than to knock the dirty, stinking apes down a peg. They can perform lobotomies but they can't figure out gliding/ flight?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't recall the scene but they could just be talking about manned flight.

P-Zombie
Sep 6, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

What about insects? That part of the movie never made sense to me other than to knock the dirty, stinking apes down a peg. They can perform lobotomies but they can't figure out gliding/ flight?

Scientific advancement is very tightly regulated in the ape society, partly due to religious reasons (Dr. Zaius is both Minister of Science and Defender of the Faith), and because at least Dr. Zaius has some knowledge of the nuclear war that destroyed human society.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Oh, I guess I'd forgotten about those parts.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

I don't recall the scene but they could just be talking about manned flight.

Men are filthy beasts, certainly they could not succeed where apes have failed/not given a poo poo? :v:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

A lot of old movies probably didn't include birds because you couldn't just CGI a bird in for $5.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Decrepus posted:

A lot of old movies probably didn't include birds because you couldn't just CGI a bird in for $5.

You do know you can include real birds in a movie for even cheaper than it is to CGI them in, right? That they exist in the places where you would be filming on location.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
I'd argue it's cheaper to CGI a bird these days compared with paying animal handlers, the animal welfare people to oversee that the birds are being treated adequately, and time lost because the birds flew off, squawked at the wrong time, or otherwise didn't do what they were supposed to be doing when camera were rolling.

On the other hand, maybe doing CGI birds is just too goddamn hard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3j_iL2FcXQ#t=470

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

minato posted:

On the other hand, maybe doing CGI birds is just too goddamn hard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3j_iL2FcXQ#t=470

This will be the only movie left for aliens to find in the ancient ruins of Earth, mark my words.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
In A Mighty Wind they build up a song by Mitch and Mindy which is sappy and romantic. At the end of the movie they are putting on a concert and all the other bands are there. They are down in their dressing rooms and the stage audio is piped in. Mitch and Mindy start singing the song, and it flashes to the other bands, who all say something to the effect of "Oh, it's the song". The other bands all file in to the offstage area. Now it seems like, "oh they want to see if they kiss, just like us, the viewers". The song ends and stuff happens, whatever. Then all the other bands file on stage for the finale. The other bands were not piling up backstage because they gave a poo poo about if Mitch and Mindy kissed, that song was the last song in the set, and was the other bands cues to come backstage for the finale. I thought it was a cool way to pull the rug out from under your feet.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

P-Zombie posted:

In Planet of the Apes (1968), there is a scene where Zira and Cornelius try to explain to Taylor that "flight is a scientific impossibility". How can they believe this, when there are birds, and other such animals, in nature? Well, if you watch the film closely, we never see or hear a bird, or any other flying animal, at all.

Having just watched this and the sequel on Netflix, there are definitely birds in Beneath the Planet of the Apes, so the Apes do know of flying animals.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

P-Zombie posted:

The better one is the "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" thing that the ape council does when Taylor is committing heresy, but that's not exactly subtle I guess.

Lap-Lem posted:

In A Mighty Wind they build up a song by Mitch and Mindy which is sappy and romantic. At the end of the movie they are putting on a concert and all the other bands are there. They are down in their dressing rooms and the stage audio is piped in. Mitch and Mindy start singing the song, and it flashes to the other bands, who all say something to the effect of "Oh, it's the song". The other bands all file in to the offstage area. Now it seems like, "oh they want to see if they kiss, just like us, the viewers". The song ends and stuff happens, whatever. Then all the other bands file on stage for the finale. The other bands were not piling up backstage because they gave a poo poo about if Mitch and Mindy kissed, that song was the last song in the set, and was the other bands cues to come backstage for the finale. I thought it was a cool way to pull the rug out from under your feet.

Mitch and Mickey and what a great movie.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Watched two different movies the other night:

Snowpiercer: I don't see how this got so many positive reviews but maybe I just didn't "get" it. Anyway, one thing I did like about it was that they kept doing shots down the length of the inside of the train. Whenever you saw more than two or more cars, you could see the cars shifting left or right if the train was going around a curve. Neat little detail that didn't really need to be added but was great when you notice it.

Her.: When he had Samantha's little mobile camera thing in his shirt pocket, he'd have a pin through the pocket to hold it higher in the pocket so the camera was poking out. This let her "see" what they were doing. Never really got pointed out that I noticed but another neat little detail.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Lap-Lem posted:

Except one of the Folksmen recognizes the song as "that really pretty one" and turns up the volume. They also wonder aloud if the kiss will happen. As they leave they're even making small bets on it as they leave. The New Main Street Singers might not care, but the Folksmen were at least a little invested in seeing if the two would kiss.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
In It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia S3E7 "The Gang Sells Out", Charlie is desribing to Dennis and Mac how he turns on the "Closed" sign to let everyone know that there's nice cold Coors available in the bar. As Mac and Dennis berate Charlie for his illiteracy, there's a Coors sign over their shoulders in their side of the shot.

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
Watching Terminator 2 recently, and I couldn't believe I'd never noticed this before.

The truck the T-1000 hijacks in the beginning has a very peculiar set of pinstripes:

In addition to the "cheekbones" it even has two separate grills for a nose & teeth!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Morton Haynice posted:

Watching Terminator 2 recently, and I couldn't believe I'd never noticed this before.

The truck the T-1000 hijacks in the beginning has a very peculiar set of pinstripes:

In addition to the "cheekbones" it even has two separate grills for a nose & teeth!

It Is subtle. I'll give you that but think you're reaching here.

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
Am I though? I thought the dead giveaway was the bisected windshield.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Morton Haynice posted:

Am I though? I thought the dead giveaway was the bisected windshield.

I'm not saying that's not why they picked that truck, but the 2 windshields is standard on those freightliner cabovers.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It also looks like a black Optimus Prime. Coincidence?!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That's african american Optimus Prime, you racist fuckwit. Check your privilege.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I love this forum.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That's african american Optimus Prime, you racist fuckwit. Check your privilege.

Hey, hey, whoa! Label that kind of language! "Check your privilege" triggers me and you should warn people before you use such strong language, you insensitive prick.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Upon reflection I must offer an apology to all trans-formers out there, as I incorrectly stated African American and not African Cybertronian in my description.

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
I hate myself for causing this.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Morton Haynice posted:

I hate myself for causing this.

That`s Ok. I hate you too.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Upon reflection I must offer an apology to all trans-formers out there, as I incorrectly stated African American and not African Cybertronian in my description.

:golfclap:

I'm going to assume that the original poster that pointed out the truck was trying to insinuate it looked like a skull? I'd call it a stretch. A lot of those COE Frieghtliners had some kind of stripes in that area.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The actual nomenclature is either "Scourge", "Nemesis Prime", or "Black Convoy", depending.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'm going to assume that the original poster that pointed out the truck was trying to insinuate it looked like a skull?

Oh. Then I stand corrected. I thought he was trying to say it looked like Arnold's sunglasses.

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
Yes, I really thought I'd found something so obvious you guys would make fun of my density for not noticing before. I guess I still deserve it, just not for the reasons I initially imagined.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I posted this in the Irrationally Irratating Movie Moments thread a few days back when someone was talking about Micheal Mann movies, but it really fits here:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

In Collateral, it's not a light source that kills Vincent. He sticks with the same shots he had used all movie, which are stopped by the closing doors. Max improvises and sprays wildly, and the rounds go through the window and kill Vincent. Improvising vs. sticking with routine are a running theme in that movie. I really liked how it played out.

Also, the dead man on the train not being noticed for 6 hours thing he and Max talk about earlier in the film/while he bleeds out fits into how Vincent is designed to be the perfectly anonymous man. He lived a life blending in, and in death, he'll end up doing exactly the same thing

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Morton Haynice posted:

Yes, I really thought I'd found something so obvious you guys would make fun of my density for not noticing before. I guess I still deserve it, just not for the reasons I initially imagined.

Honestly I can see it and think it makes sense so don't feel too bad about it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My favorite subtle movie moment involving a bird is the munchkin suicide from Wizard of Oz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Looking forward to your reenactment.