Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
Spartan August is a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Slow Motion posted:

Spartan August is a go.

Alright man glad to hear it. It's a challenge.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
PROTIP: Go buy all your groceries and fun stuff on July 31st so you can claim that it was money spent in July and not August.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

I don't know if you mentioned this already, and I apologize if you did, but what is your plan for when you have the baby?

Things to be thinking about :

1. How long are you going to take off?
a. Will you be using all of your PTO? Will this put you at risk of going unpaid in the future if you get sick?

2 Weeks.
a. Probably yes to both, but I have both vacation and sick time so I'll have a few days accrued sick by then.

2. How long is your wife going to take off?
a. What sort of benefits will she get during this time?

8 weeks. Just found out she'll have 2 weeks of vacation.
All. It's 6 weeks paid maternity leave.

3. Will your wife be returning to work?
a. How much are you budgeting for daycare? Can you afford to pay daycare?
b. How much will your cost structure change if your wife stays home?

Looking like April
Unsure will look into this
Unsure will look into this (hard to plan without knowing daycare prices)

4. What have you budgeted towards baby expenses?
a. How much are you budgeting for monthly baby expenses?
b. How much will your insurance change when you add another dependent?
c. How much are you expecting to pay out of pocket for the birth (ie Hospital Bills)?

Nothing yet.
I've talked to some friends and they're saying $50.00 a week is probably OK.
Not sure guessing $200/mo
I'm expecting $10,000.00

5. Is your emergency fund the same thing as your baby fund?
a. Are you double counting your money again?
i. How much is "baby fund"?
ii. How much is "emergency fund"?
b. Is it realistic for you to pay off your car considering the above?

No we started a baby fund as well
No
Right now we have $5.00 in there just to get it started, but I set a goal of $5,000 by the birth day yesterday.
Right now we have $1,050 in there, but I set a goal ~$20,000
[b]No I don't think so (well not within 1 year). I guess it depends on how frugal we can get.[b]

If you're making 1+ year goals these are definitely the things you should be thinking about. If you've answered/thought about all of this then please just ignore me.

Ok just wanted to clear up benefits with my wife (she worked all weekend). Only question I'm unsure of is insurance.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

It was a compression fracture, I didn't leave my seat or anything crazy. We hit the tree at an estimated 45mph, and were traveling at just over 60mph. My buddy escaped with a broken wrist from the steering wheel. I have this obsession with seatbelt wearing - and it has saved my life without a question, perhaps a few times, this being a definite time. Sounds worse than it is, but its a constant source of 'ache' (a lot more, but you kind of get use to it?) without a doubt, and with the herniation from an accident in 2010 means constant mild back pain. You get use to it, I guess. I was on oxy for a while but I didn't like what that was doing to me and my life, so I stopped cold turkey and just *deal with it*. Exercise is a godsend. However, I was bad with money from the settlement back then.. My car was crazy fast for a few years, and then it broke right before I got out of my old line of work (auto tech) because of the herniation.. Now its stock and boring :( Shootin for 500wtq again by 2025 now ;) My car will be 32yrs old by then lol..
Gotcha. I was curious due to the retarded high interest on the car, and the fact that you got the notes from the lots vs from your CU.
I also wondered, I hoped it was on a different screen. You have to have collision legally (or to maintain loan covenants, if not legally) for a car with a loan on it in my state.
This is how we do it. Personal care for grooming, makeup and all related products. Household includes all detergent etc - easier to track. I split it out from Costco trips as I like to see how often we buy it...

Knyte, this is what I use for categories, outside of bills and savings.
code:
Budget Categories...

drat man my back hurts thinking about it. I'll also be totally jealous if you have a 500wtq car. I wonder if ours is even pushing 150 :).

Thanks for posting your budget categories I'll see if I can use that to help us reorganize a little.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Why is your goal for a baby fund $5,000 when you know you're spending at least $10,000 out of pocket on medical bills?

Shouldn't your goal be about $10,000-$15,000? $10,000 for medical bills and $5,000 for miscellaneous expenses related to having a new baby. Car seats, cribs, clothes, etc.?

Due date is February so you're looking at about 6 months to build these funds. Just to save up enough for your out of pocket medical expenses you are going to be stretched. You'll need to devote almost $2,000 a month or on the flip side this is going to be another bill to pay going into next year.

You still seem like you're splitting your money too many ways. $2,000 towards car payment, $2,000 towards emergency fund, $2,000 towards baby fund, etc. This is one of the reasons I don't like YNAB. It does a great job of forcing you to look at the money you're currently spending (every dollar has a job), but often times causes people to not look at the big picture and what expenses they'll have in the coming months.

Also did you ever answer on whether or not you have collision insurance? Your insurance seems insanely cheap for a new car that is grossly underwater. I'm paying $108 a month for a 2012 Honda Fit that isn't underwater.

Lastly are you sure that your wife is getting 100% paid maternity leave for 6 weeks? It varies largely on the company and she may just be receiving short term disability which is only 60% salary I believe. Some companies will let you supplement this with partial PTO and others may pay 100%. Just something to make sure you get clarification on so you don't get caught by a surprise by not understanding your benefits.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

Also did you ever answer on whether or not you have collision insurance? Your insurance seems insanely cheap for a new car that is grossly underwater. I'm paying $108 a month for a 2012 Honda Fit that isn't underwater.

Lastly are you sure that your wife is getting 100% paid maternity leave for 6 weeks? It varies largely on the company and she may just be receiving short term disability which is only 60% salary I believe. Some companies will let you supplement this with partial PTO and others may pay 100%. Just something to make sure you get clarification on so you don't get caught by a surprise by not understanding your benefits.

Yes we have collision. I'm not sure why it's so inexpensive either (I have an at fault totalled car on my record from about 8 years ago).

Here is our current coverage:

This may go up a little bit when we move into a less nice neighborhood this week.

My wife just talked to her boss and that's what they said regarding the maternity leave. I have no idea if it could be short term disability though. I'll ask her to clarify that.

Bugamol posted:

Why is your goal for a baby fund $5,000 when you know you're spending at least $10,000 out of pocket on medical bills?

Shouldn't your goal be about $10,000-$15,000? $10,000 for medical bills and $5,000 for miscellaneous expenses related to having a new baby. Car seats, cribs, clothes, etc.?

Due date is February so you're looking at about 6 months to build these funds. Just to save up enough for your out of pocket medical expenses you are going to be stretched. You'll need to devote almost $2,000 a month or on the flip side this is going to be another bill to pay going into next year.

Well the actual pregnancy will mostly come out of the HSA which we're actively contributing to (and paying medical bills out of). I just haven't included that in my numbers yet.

We're going to ramp up probably to 100% of her paycheck as we get closer. I don't think there will be a problem increasing the amount of money we contribute (will confirm), and her work contributes quite a bit every paycheck to the HSA too. I'll be sure to post exact numbers here though as we get a little closer for posterity and to make me think about it if nothing else.

Assumedly we can contribute money to the HSA from my post tax income and we'll get a tax break too? We're going to need tax breaks this year I don't deduct enough.

Also we may take on payments for the medical bills because our credit union gives us 2.5% APR on our checking account up to $10,000. It's not a ton or anything but hey free money. Only as long as there isn't a penalty or something though.

Another thing I forgot to mention: my student loans will start coming out in August. Something like $86.00 a month or something. I don't really have a plan to burn these down yet because the car takes the cake interest wise.

Edit: and yes we're stretching ourselves thin on savings goals. Right now the priority is to save up a lot of money. I figure once we have a few months worth of income we can decide what needs to go where exactly. I'm welcome to ideas though of course.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 21, 2014

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Sorry for the double post (last post was way too long), but one of the reasons we probably have cheaper insurance is we're number 6 in the safest driving cities: http://www.allstatenewsroom.com/cha...als-new-results

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Did you report your car as "low mileage"? This could get you in some serious trouble if you get in an accident. If not then hey congratulations because that rate is incredible.

My only parting advice would be to start putting all of these numbers into YNAB. If you plan on saving $2,000 a month put it in YNAB. If you plan on paying off the car in 12 months or even 24 months put it in your budget. This will hopefully give you a more realistic idea of how much money you have at the end of the day.

I think one of your big focuses right now should be finding a day care so you can adjust your budget appropriately for post February. A quick Google search says that daycare can cost on average $1,000/mo. While I personally don't have kids the stories I've heard, largely depending on where you live and the quality of care you want, can change that number drastically. A guy I was working with at my last job was paying $1,600 / mo for his child (Bay Area CA).

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

Did you report your car as "low mileage"? This could get you in some serious trouble if you get in an accident. If not then hey congratulations because that rate is incredible.

My only parting advice would be to start putting all of these numbers into YNAB. If you plan on saving $2,000 a month put it in YNAB. If you plan on paying off the car in 12 months or even 24 months put it in your budget. This will hopefully give you a more realistic idea of how much money you have at the end of the day.

I think one of your big focuses right now should be finding a day care so you can adjust your budget appropriately for post February. A quick Google search says that daycare can cost on average $1,000/mo. While I personally don't have kids the stories I've heard, largely depending on where you live and the quality of care you want, can change that number drastically. A guy I was working with at my last job was paying $1,600 / mo for his child (Bay Area CA).

(last post I can respond to today so I can get some work done)

I don't think I reported the car as low mileage. I tried to accurately estimate how many miles we drive based off our previous years and likely put 10,000 or 15,000. But yea thanks when we switched from State Farm in this thread we saved a ton of money. We used to pay at $30-$40 more a month.

OK my wife and I both have this Thursday off (I have 5 days vacation starting Wednesday woop) so we'll go check out some day cares. If it's $1,000/mo then she can just be a stay at home mom. On a normal two week paycheck money she probably only grosses $1600/mo and that's working very late nights often enough to resent it as it is. I'd rather the baby have its mom available at all times. Maybe if Stephen Hawking or something is teaching there though :)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
For baby stuff: Yard sales! There is so much barely-used baby stuff out there, I can't imagine why anyone buys new things for clothes, toys, etc. This is one part of becoming parents that my wife and I are looking forward to.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Nocheez posted:

For baby stuff: Yard sales! There is so much barely-used baby stuff out there, I can't imagine why anyone buys new things for clothes, toys, etc. This is one part of becoming parents that my wife and I are looking forward to.

This. The only thing that you have to buy new for a baby is the carseat, just because they're like helmets. If they ever take a jolt they've gotta be replaced. My parents raised us entirely out of goodwill and yardsales. I can't remember ever wearing brand new clothes and your kid won't even care or notice until they are in their tweens. Strollers, rockers, clothes, toys etc are all fantastic to get from goodwill.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Please have your wife check in regarding her benefits while on maternity leave re: her insurance. What I mean by this is, if she's getting paid through disablity, you guys may be required to cover the cost of her health insurance yourselves. Many companies who cover maternity via disablity require the employee to pay insurance themselves during that period, as in physically make the payment yourself because it won't be auto deducted from her paycheck since she'll be being paid via disability.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

RheaConfused posted:

Please have your wife check in regarding her benefits while on maternity leave re: her insurance. What I mean by this is, if she's getting paid through disablity, you guys may be required to cover the cost of her insurance yourselves. Many companies who cover maternity via disablity require the employee to pay insurance themselves during that period.

I agree with this. It's fairly uncommon for companies to offer 100% salary while on maternity leave, but definitely not unheard of. You should just have her clarify how she will be paid.

There's a variety of ways this can be handled:

State Disability (60% I believe)
State Disability supplemented by company
State Disability supplemented by PTO use
Employee Paid

As RheaConfused mentioned depending on how she is being paid will affect lots of things. You also need to be sure that there will be no lapses in your medical benefits as I believe you mentioned that you are both on her insurance at this point.

She should also get clarification on what the maximum benefit is. It's also probably a good idea to have at least a base plan in place in case she can't return to work during that benefit period.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
The below thread from July 19th, 2011 gives me some perspective on Knyteguy. I hope you pull through this time buddy, but your track record is messy. Stumbled upon this on accident looking for another thread, but hopefully this will give you some perspective on your willpower.

Archive Link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3425957

Knyteguy posted:

Hello Goons,

In my previous thread, many mentioned the idea of starting a log thread. I thought this sounded like an excellent idea because I could have both accountability for my impulse buying, and a complete history of both negative and positive progress.

I will try to answer many repeat questions from the previous thread to help clarify our situation. (Thanks Goons, you always give me a non-sexual, warm feeling inside )

Goals:
1) What I hope to accomplish is for my wife and I to save a 20% downpayment for a modest home. I have read some of the buy a house megathread, and we would like to see a home in our future.

2) Save a nest egg, and hopefully enough money to have the option to retire by 45 or earlier. I'm not sure this will be achievable if our income levels stay the same, but this is the goal nonetheless.

3) Curb my impulse buying.

Background
My wife is 23 years old. She will be graduating with her Bachelor's degree next Spring in Art. She has an excellent scholarship that negates all but $800 every semester + books. She has a history of being good with money. Often times I feel like she may enable my spending. She has worked at the same job for 5 years, but the pay is pretty bad ($10.00 an hour for her position as a manager at a grocery store), and there are literally no benefits.

I am 25 years old. I dropped out of college in my junior year to pursue a business. Part of this was due to bad grades (I felt really unchallenged at a community college, so I didn't try very hard...) I'm still running this business (more on this later): http://www.pluswebhost.com/. I am currently starting a new job as a cable installer to help maintain the finances my business requires, and to get off unemployment. I am on unemployment because the business I was working for went under, and because I quit my previous well paying job to pursue college.

Currently we are living in an apartment that is $790.00 per month, plus utilities. The reason this apartment was chosen is that A) it's nice B) it's 5 minutes from my previous work (more on this later as well). My previous job would have afforded this luxury apartment, but I lost it 5 days after moving in. But because our apartment lease is up, we are moving out in a few days to live with my parents, where rent + utilities is $300.00 per month. This is a double whammy of increase income because I am starting my new job.

Did I mentioned I blew $89,000? I was awarded this amount in a lawsuit. I bought an Infiniti G-35, went to Thailand to train Muay Thai, and lost about $20,000 that I invested in stocks in 2007. >_<... Yea, I'm terrible with money.

As you can see: she has her head on straight, and I can be a bit flaky.

New Job, New Income
I will be starting my new job as a cable installer within the next 2 weeks. They've already taken my picture for the badge, and the head secretary is family; it's pretty much guaranteed at this point. The job will be crap, but being able to work nearly as much as I want seems to be a great thing to help us get our finances in order.

I will be receiving a truck to use as long as I'm with the company, as well as all the necessary tools. Pay will start out as minimum wage, but move to piece work after 1 month of training. The secretary told me that workers are being paid $600.00 - $900.00 per week NET pay, depending on how much they work.

The downside? I'll have to pay gas. I may try hypermiling to increase my profits while I'm working. I'm unsure exactly how much gas I may end up using per week. I would assume this is tax deductible however.

My Business
My business, PlusWebHost.com was a project I started to try to get myself a somewhat steady income, and to get myself out of an unfulfilling situation (unemployment). I'm currently grossing about $179.00 per month, and it's growing pretty steadily each month. 5 months ago it was making $5.00 per month. My business niche is slowly paying off.

The catch? Expenses equal slightly more than $330.00 per month. Because I want an actual career in my future, my business will not be forfeited to meet our goals. It is expected to be paying for itself in the next 5 months (maximum). It isn't exactly hemorrhaging money anyway.

Our Car
Before our current car, a 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco, my wife and I had separate cars. I drove a 2006 Subaru WRX that was guzzling $60.00 a week on gas, and I was paying an insurance premium of $210.00 per month. It also needed new tires, brakes, rotors, and registration. Her car was a 1986 Honda Accord that was OK on gas, but needed a new transmission badly. The repair would have been worth 3x the value of the car.

Our current car payment with insurance is $330.00 per month.

Current Income
Wife: $10.00 per hour, roughly 35 hours per week. No benefits.
Myself: $377.00 per week unemployment insurance. Should be starting new job in 1-2 weeks (waiting on background check). No benefits. I have been unemployed for about 1 year
Total: $2,848

Savings
$1,750 ($750.00 is wedding money)

Current Debt
2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - $10,500 @ ~7% APR
Credit Card in Collections - $3795
Current Credit Cart - $1300.00 @ 16% APR
Television - $675.00 @ 0% APR for 3 years
Family Member - $3,000 @ 0% APR (My wife borrowed from her Grandma for a study abroad trip to Japan last year)
Misc. Collections - $500.00
Total: $19,770

Monthly Expenses History
Our current monthly expenses equal about $1,500. This should go down to about $1,000 after moving in with the parents. I can't even tell you where the remainder of our income (~$1,000 per month) is going unfortunately. This is where my impulse buying comes in. We bought a dog, a 3D television, 2 cats, new video games, TF2 keys, etc etc. Extra money burns a hole in my pocket. This month we managed to keep most of it though.

That's all I can think of right now. I apologize for so many . We want to achieve our financial goals as soon as possible, and really could use some help going about it.

In this thread
I will keep this thread updated as long as necessary until our financial goals are met (buying a house). My pipe dream is to post a picture of our new house in this thread. We want to go about this responsibly (with a rainy day fund / nest egg) though.

Thanks a lot Goons

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Ok just billed $675.00 for my company - should be OK to post again.

Nocheez posted:

For sure. I still think it would be really cool to get some garage sale tips even if you don't want to make a thread. My mother-in-law's neighborhood is ritzy and does a neighborhood wide yard sale thing every year. We'll have to hit that up for sure next spring (I got a ludicrous amount of nice polo tshirts for like $5.00 last time).

RheaConfused posted:

Please have your wife check in regarding her benefits while on maternity leave re: her insurance. What I mean by this is, if she's getting paid through disablity, you guys may be required to cover the cost of her health insurance yourselves. Many companies who cover maternity via disablity require the employee to pay insurance themselves during that period, as in physically make the payment yourself because it won't be auto deducted from her paycheck since she'll be being paid via disability.

Bugamol posted:

Insurance

OK I'll definitely have her look into it. We will very much be counting on her insurance for the foreseeable future.

Bugamol posted:

The below thread from July 19th, 2011 gives me some perspective on Knyteguy. I hope you pull through this time buddy, but your track record is messy. Stumbled upon this on accident looking for another thread, but hopefully this will give you some perspective on your willpower.

Awesome; I wasn't able to find that thread before.

I do know many goons were telling me to get rid of the business back then, and while we couldn't afford it it nearly took off. I was pretty much pressured from family too to get rid of it; so I did and this was the next situation: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555678&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=123#post432200091 I still feel that if I had kept at it for just a few more months it would have made us quite a bit of money right now, as I was averaging 3-4 clients per month @ $30.00/mo each. I may revisit it again in the future because with my current knowledge I'd be net positive with the same amount of clients easily.

Even still though I have kept the business going to this day (albeit not even close to my primary focus as before), and it is my current business income I've mentioned various times in the thread. On top of that it landed me my first contract web programming job, quickly made us far more money than it ever cost to run, and also was a huge part of why I landed my current job. :) That was one of my good with money decisions.

Anyway I digress. Regardless of what happened in the old thread (I'll read through it again for a somewhat outside perspective of myself) I've really grown as an individual pretty much everywhere except financially-and I've been digging my heels into the ground hard to get there financially lately. I was pretty immature at that point in my life, and getting laid off just after getting an expensive apartment really hurt my confidence to provide and stay afloat.

I'm kind of disappointed because I took my bad with money stories away from myself in that OP though. I was looking forward to posting those albeit in more detail.

Anyway I can't comment more until I read the thread in its entirety again. Only 3 pages so that won't take long. From the first page I must admit that Mr Money Mustache really changed how people think about early retirement. The consensus was that we'd need around $12,000/mo to retire by 45. With our current income (about half that) I'm confident we could retire by 37-if we had no debt-with the right expense:savings ratio of course.

Thanks for linking that.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^You retiring at 37... come on man. This will be an insane lifestyle change and income increase. A kid alone is estimated to cost about $250K to raise to 18.

Bugamol posted:

You probably are paying way too much.

$1300/year for full coverage in Denver ($500 deductible, $100,000 medical per person, etc) on a 2013 Ford Escape and 2014 Subaru Impreza.

I would go shop around.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 22, 2014

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Bugamol posted:

But he's really super-serious this time! I mean this time right now, not back in November 2013 when he was serious and managed two months on budget before blowing himself back to square one.

I spent some of my holiday last week reading both Zaurg threads (goldmined and gassed). And some of today getting caught up on this thread. Knyteguy - I have bad news:

You are as bad as Zaurg.

Just things off the top of my head for parallels:

- Wasteful spending on football (Zaurg with his tickets, you with cable packages, etc.)
- Wasteful spending in general (Zaurg's Wii vs. your PS4, etc.)
- Using a budget to track (over)spending rather than set limits for certain categories
- Managed to stick to their budget for two months, blew it every other month
- Ignoring the thread for months as spending went out of control
- Made a sound financial decision (selling a car/two cars) only to negate it with a bad one (buying an overpriced used CRV/leasing a new Corolla)
- Endless rationalizations for "one-off" spending that broke the budget every month
- Having a kid with absolutely no plan to budget for it
- Student loans coming due that will put the sqeeze on an already sqeezed financial situation

Really, the only saving grace seems to be that you downgraded to a more affordable apartment rather than doubling-down and buying a house. Though it's still early in the thread...

Just look at the change from November to now. You went from a healthy budget with significant savings, to blowing it all back to square one by July, to facing student loan repayments, saving for the birth, and THEN (likely) losing your wife's income because it will be cheaper for her to stay home than daycare.

Retire at 45? Ha - at this rate you will be lucky to retire at all. Since 2011 (when you decided to start working towards your goals) you have saved nothing for retirement, nor will your worsening financial situation in the near future allow you to save for it. And long term you will be torn between retirement savings and saving for your child's education.

Can you make it? I think so - as do a lot of other posters - but not the way you are currently going about it. You have to get rid of this sense of entitlement that you don't think you have - the sense of entitlement that you deserved a PS4 because "a lot of time had passed between when you wanted one and when you bought it", that you deserve (expensive) football because "you need an outlet". You do need an outlet, but one that fits into a budget that will require low personal spending on wants to acheive any kind of stability (emergency funds, debt paid off, etc. etc.) It's great to have goals, but if you don't prioritize you will always sacrifice the long-term goals for short term "happiness" (which you derive from impulse spending).

You have taken some positive steps, but, like the Zuarg thread, people are going to continue to be frustrated and harp on you until you can prove over the next three months that you can make a budget and stick with it. Otherwise it's going to be the same Zaurg cycle of "I'm really on it now guys!" - "Well we kind of went over this month, but I've got it covered" - "I gave back a loan to my mother so that we wouldn't be approved for a mortgage" - "Well my wife is pregnant again" - "I'm going to die homeless and penniless and no one will ever love me."

(Forgive me, all, if this post is too harsh - having absorbed years of Zaurg's life in a matter of days, I only see Knyteguy going along the same tragetory).

Ninja Edit: Retire at 37? What?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

spwrozek posted:

^You retiring at 37... come on man. This will be an insane lifestyle change and income increase. A kid alone is estimated to cost about $250K to raise to 18.

No way man! Like Cicero said kids get expensive when you want them to get expensive (barring medical). Old me would have spoiled his kids just to look like I had money.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/05/26/what-is-the-real-cost-of-raising-children/ posted:

Having said all of this, the final answer to the question is that as a family who does a moderate job at being natural and nonconsumer parents to our child, we find that it cost less than $300 a month to have a very young child from age 0-2. Cloth diapers, food, the odd piece of clothing we couldn’t get from hand-me-downs, the occasional stroller, car seat or baby toy, doctor visit, etc.

Then we started some one-day-per week preschool at age three which ramped up to three days per week by age 5, to get him ready for the routine of kindergarten. This has by far been the biggest expense, at several hundred dollars per month.

As he grows older, the average cost will drop again since public school is free and doctor visits are now very rare. But if we round up the spending estimate to assume a continued $300 per month until he reaches age 21, that yields a total childraising cost of about $75,000. Not bad at all, less than a year’s salary for an engineer, and you get a whole lovable and productive adult out of it!

This article was really the only reason I decided that I was ready to have a Knyteguy spawn.

Early Retirement
And like I said with our current income it is entirely possible to retire by 37. We make $86,000 a year in a pretty low cost of living area (equivalent to about $148,000 in SF Bay/NYC). At a 65% savings rate (which would be entirely possible for us with a paid off house ala MMM) we would be able to save $559,000 in 10 years - more than enough to retire at a 4% withdrawal. I've studiously done the math on it.

That also doesn't take into account that in my current field (which I bill $150.00/hr for my company) I will likely be able to land a job making about $148,000.00 because my boss who doubles that mentoring me in it. For real he printed out something that shows me a career path he's leading me on. Even if I don't go that way I'm lucky enough to be in a really great field to make money in right now, and the 30s are the prime earning years statistically, and I'm not very far from that point.

The only thing standing in our way to early retirement/financial independence is my spending habits and our relatively insignificant debt, and I'm absolutely confident that I can work through my bad spending habits (I've already started) to beat both of them. It's cool if very few of you have any faith in me because really you can only see what I happen to remember to post-you see an $800.00 optional expenses category, a Playstation 4, a new car, regression; but what I see is a lesson learned :black101:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Nope, you weren't too harsh. Those are the cold, hard facts and knyte needs to step up to the plate. He has his wife on board, now it's time to follow through.

Edit: I changed my mind, was typing when his reply came in.
Knyte: your pie-in-the-sky dreams are going to be your downfall. you are setting yourself up for failure by thinking that you will hit those lofty goals for 15 years when you have not been able to make any progress in the past 3.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 22, 2014

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Knyteguy posted:

It's cool if very few of you have any faith in me because really you can only see what I happen to remember to post-you see an $800.00 optional expenses category, a Playstation 4, a new car, regression; but what I see is a lesson learned :black101:
Oh, did you sell your PS4?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Nocheez posted:

Nope, you weren't too harsh. Those are the cold, hard facts and knyte needs to step up to the plate. He has his wife on board, now it's time to follow through.

Edit: I changed my mind, was typing when his reply came in.
Knyte: your pie-in-the-sky dreams are going to be your downfall. you are setting yourself up for failure by thinking that you will hit those lofty goals for 15 years when you have not been able to make any progress in the past 3.

Respectfully man having long term goals are healthy. Also not 15 years I'm 27 (10 years). That with no interest returns or dividends in that time too.

Also everyone going nuts go read what I said again regarding the 37 thing.

quote:

With our current income (about half that) I'm confident we could retire by 37-if we had no debt-with the right expense:savings ratio of course.

That end clause (with the right expense:savings ratio) kind of sums up the reason we likely cannot achieve that goal in 10 years. Maybe by 40.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You spent $24K the last 6 months. Even if you think you can get down to $3K a month (adding a baby!) that is $36000 a year.

$86000 with 65% savings = $30100 to pay your taxes, live on, buy your football bullshit, fishing poles, who knows what the hell else.

Oops... not enough money. You are so delusional, you just don't see it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

spwrozek posted:

You spent $24K the last 6 months. Even if you think you can get down to $3K a month (adding a baby!) that is $36000 a year.

$86000 with 65% savings = $30100 to pay your taxes, live on, buy your football bullshit, fishing poles, who knows what the hell else.

Oops... not enough money. You are so delusional, you just don't see it.

We lived on an income of $19,000/yr just over a year ago without any assistance. I know exactly what it takes. That's an $11,000 increase which is more than enough. We also cut our biggest expense by $950/mo. In the next 6 months that will equal $5,700 in savings taking nothing else into consideration.

Plus I didn't even say that we can or will retire by then, I said that we could with the right savings:expense ratio which I'm pretty sure is impossible with our debt levels at the moment. I was making a case for our income nothing else.

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I don't think pie-in-the-sky even comes close to how unrealistic he is.

Knyteguy posted:

And like I said with our current income it is entirely possible to retire by 37. We make $86,000 a year in a pretty low cost of living area (equivalent to about $148,000 in SF Bay/NYC). At a 65% savings rate (which would be entirely possible for us with a paid off house ala MMM) we would be able to save $559,000 in 10 years - more than enough to retire at a 4% withdrawal. I've studiously done the math on it.

Studious math is worthless if you are starting from bullshit numbers. I don't even know where to start.

First, based on your own budget, you clear $63,600/year after taxes. So to save your $55,900/year you actually have to save 87% of your after tax income. While paying down a mortgage. And your debt. And, you know, eating and poo poo.

Also, withdrawal at 4% a year? 4% x 25 = 100%, 37 + 25 = 62, so I guess you have a suicide pact or just don't plan on making it much past early 60's. IIRC average male lifespan is 74 and female is 82.

And with that 4% you'll live on about $22,360/year. You can barely make it on $63,600. Are you starting to see how stupid this is? Did you account for inflation? Because 20 years from now that $22,360 isn't going to buy as much as it does now. Or is it going to all be growing at 8% because of your super-savvy investing knowledge?

quote:

That also doesn't take into account that in my current field (which I bill $150.00/hr for my company) I will likely be able to land a job making about $148,000.00 because my boss who doubles that mentoring me in it. For real he printed out something that shows me a career path he's leading me on. Even if I don't go that way I'm lucky enough to be in a really great field to make money in right now, and the 30s are the prime earning years statistically, and I'm not very far from that point.

Chickens... hatched...

quote:

The only thing standing in our way to early retirement/financial independence is my spending habits and our relatively insignificant debt, and I'm absolutely confident that I can work through my bad spending habits (I've already started) to beat both of them. It's cool if very few of you have any faith in me because really you can only see what I happen to remember to post-you see an $800.00 optional expenses category, a Playstation 4, a new car, regression; but what I see is a lesson learned :black101:

Ah, the "Imma gonna show you all" part of the thread. Zaurg did that too.

Really, show all of us naysayers that you've got it together and can pull this off. But you're going to have to do it with balanced budgets and a real plan, rather than all this retire at 37 bullshit. How's this? Just have a few goals you know you can reach in the next few months, then, if you actually meet them, start looking long term. Right now some kind of spending control while saving for the blows you are going to take in the near future would be a good start.

And hahahahaha kids cost $75,000 over 21 years. Did you settle on the $1,000/mo daycare or the loss of your wife's income that is key to your Freedom-37 plan?

Edit: Forget it. You want to vehemently defend your stupid math, I'm done wasting my breath. At this point you can put up (post a budget) or shut up (close the thread).

Aagar fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 22, 2014

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Aagar posted:

I don't think pie-in-the-sky even comes close to how unrealistic he is.

Studious math is worthless if you are starting from bullshit numbers. I don't even know where to start.

First, based on your own budget, you clear $63,600/year after taxes. So to save your $55,900/year you actually have to save 87% of your after tax income. While paying down a mortgage. And your debt. And, you know, eating and poo poo.

Also, withdrawal at 4% a year? 4% x 25 = 100%, 37 + 25 = 62, so I guess you have a suicide pact or just don't plan on making it much past early 60's. IIRC average male lifespan is 74 and female is 82.

And with that 4% you'll live on about $22,360/year. You can barely make it on $63,600. Are you starting to see how stupid this is? Did you account for inflation? Because 20 years from now that $22,360 isn't going to buy as much as it does now. Or is it going to all be growing at 8% because of your super-savvy investing knowledge?

Chickens... hatched...

Ah, the "Imma gonna show you all" part of the thread. Zaurg did that too.

Really, show all of us naysayers that you've got it together and can pull this off. But you're going to have to do it with balanced budgets and a real plan, rather than all this retire at 37 bullshit. How's this? Just have a few goals you know you can reach in the next few months, then, if you actually meet them, start looking long term. Right now some kind of spending control while saving for the blows you are going to take in the near future would be a good start.

And hahahahaha kids cost $75,000 over 21 years. Did you settle on the $1,000/mo daycare or the loss of your wife's income that is key to your Freedom-37 plan?

Dude you're hardly warranting a reply with how little either your reading comprehension is, or your lack of reading the thread. Where did I say we are spending $1,000/mo on daycare? We haven't even looked yet at prices yet and a little initial research is looking like it will be less than that. That was a simple hypothetical number thrown out by Bugamol.

Do you even have kids or are you talking convention? At least that is from a guy with kids.

quote:

We just cut insurance costs pretty drastically and I don't even know what our new income will be starting next month - how could you? Also I thought I mentioned we would need a paid off house which is yet another reason why I understand that we cannot retire in 10 years.

The 4% withdrawal rate is probably safe for a lifetime. http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/05/29/how-much-do-i-need-for-retirement/

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

moana posted:

Oh, did you sell your PS4?

Yes - along with pretty much all of my other consumer mistakes made while the thread was dead. Even a family heirloom.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Aagar posted:

What? you can't just leave a 6 month old to fend for itself?!

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo

Knyteguy posted:

Dude you're hardly warranting a reply with how little either your reading comprehension is, or your lack of reading the thread. Where did I say we are spending $1,000/mo on daycare? We haven't even looked yet at prices yet and a little initial research is looking like it will be less than that. That was a simple hypothetical number thrown out by Bugamol.

Do you even have kids or are you talking convention? At least that is from a guy with kids.

Kids? Yes - two. Twin boys, in fact. Almost 4 years old. $2300/mo for daycare currently. It was $2700/mo before they turned 2.5. I think it was well over $3000/mo before 1.5 or so, so we had a nanny because the nanny was cheaper. Yes, it is expensive (Toronto - day care costs are nuts). You may have it cheaper in your area. But lets say $700/mo (even MMM admitted to the several hundred a month). That reduces your after tax income by another $8400/year.

It's fine to dream, but Nocheez is right - the dreams you have now are just setting you up for failure.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Edit: gently caress it it's stupid.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 22, 2014

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
August ahoy.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 22, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The problem with all your goals and plans is you put no concreteness to them. You don't know if they are actually attainable. You just throw out that you could do this or that or it won't cost THAT much, but I haven't checked.

Your goals are not SMART! and they need to be.

Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Relevant (or Result Based)
Time Specific

They are just paint thrown on the wall...

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 22, 2014

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
No one is trying to be a dick here. We're all just seeing more of the picture that you aren't. We want you succeed and have some ideas for things you should be accounting for. What you ultimately do is up to you.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

spwrozek posted:

The problem with all your goals and plans is you put no concreteness to them. You don't know if they are actually attainable. You just throw out that you could do this or that or it won't cost THAT much, but I haven't checked.

Your goals are not SMART! and they need to be.

Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Relevant (or Result Based)
Time Specific

They are just paint thrown on the wall...

Wait....

SMART goals aren't something that my company uses as like corporate chat? Or is this post ironic. Or does my company have a good goal system :psyduck:

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo

Nocheez posted:

No one is trying to be a dick here. We're all just seeing more of the picture that you aren't. We want you succeed and have some ideas for things you should be accounting for. What you ultimately do is up to you.

Exactly. I'm coming across as harsh, but only to try and get you to see some of the craziness (like spwrozek says - it's one thing to state a goal and another to see if it's acheivable).

I will freely admit - my wife and I have not been smart with money. We haven't been bad - we avoided all debt until we bought a house. But looking back I see some Zaurg in me (buy a house? Sure! We make real people money now), and my wife in Zaurg's wife (cf. needed a huge gift budget. At least she likes sales).

That said, we've sat down recently and worked out a budget (boys are going to full day kindergarten, and before/after care is half what we pay for daycare). So you know where I'm coming from, here it is (and this will save me making my own thread because deep down I know we are fine. I'm just a worrier that's why my friends call me Whiskers):

Income:
Me $4,200
Her $4,200
Total $8,400

Expenses:
Groceries $650
Insurance $315
Mortgage $1,900
Daycare $1,100
Gas (car) $400
Electricity $100
Gas (house) $120
Phone/Internet/Sat $250
Cell Phones $50
Blow (Me) $100
Blow (Her) $100
Blow (kids) $100
Charity $45
Water $50
Kids Activities $80
Gifts $150
Car Maintenance $400
House Repair(small) $100
Vacation $50
Clothes/shoes $100
Total $6,260

Savings:
Emergency Fund $340
Retirement (me) $1,000
Education (twins) $800
Total $2,140

Income - Expenses - Savings = $0

Misc:
Wife gets a pension (will pay $30K/year IIRC.) Also Canada Pension Plan ($7,000/year each, if it still exists when we retire).
Current Retirement savings (me): $40K
Current Retirement savings (wife): $25K (this is on top of pension)
Current education fund (twins): $30K
Mortgage: $247K (at current payment/interest rate - paid off in 16 years)
$15K of my retirement is liquid so doubles as emergency fund until we start building a separate savings for it
$10K in cash I've been building for 8 months to buy a car (2011 Honda Civics are ca. $11-12K).

And I worry I'm behind!

Now, I made this budget based on tracking expenses for the last year, so it's really just formalizing what we are already doing. I've overestimated (I hope) some categories like car maintenance (I have a 2002 Honda Civic with 279K km on it so those costs are higher) and gifts (if we spend $1,800/year on gifts ... oi). I have probably underestimated clothes but we get a lot of stuff for the boys second hand - we really spend on shoes (they destroy quality shoes in 6 months). We also got Netflix ($7.99/mo), so I want to kill the satellite, and with a decent long-distance plan on the cells we could get rid of the home phone and have just internet. Cutting spending and maximizing savings is a continuous process, even for us old timers.

Why I've posted this is so that you can look at yourself in 10 years (house, one or two kids), look at my budget that could be close to your own, and ask yourself how you could retire at 37? 45? 55? 65? At $1000/mo I'm saving 12% of take-home pay for retirement. I'd like to personally have $500K saved for retirement, and assuming 0% on my investments I'd have to save $1500/mo (rather than my current $1000) to get there by 62. I also want $200K for the boys for education (I'm assuming tuition in Canada will be $10K/year by then, then add living and eating). I will try to convince them to go into trades.

Even if the house was paid off there would be no way we could save 65%. I'm going to need a new car soon. Roof will need doing in a few years. Insulation needs topping up. Some of the windows are drafty and need replacing. There are so many costs owning a house you'll find any extra cash will find a use quickly.

You have the right attitude and plan now - knock down spending, get things under control in 3 months to prove you can do it. Then start aiming for killing all the debt, saving for a downpayment on a house, saving for retirement, education fund, etc.

As a parting note: I perused the MMM blog - please, stop reading it. It is one person's experience of what I see as the best of best-case scenarios. 4% withdrawal of retirement funds (which he hasn't proved works, as he hasn't retired, and doesn't really address the arguements against it), kids costing $75K/21 years (also not proven - his kid is young) - this would be nice if the cards cut that way, but you absolutely cannot plan your financial future on best-case scenarios. Notice how I don't have medical expenses in my budget? Universal healthcare, baby. Wife had to have a C-section and boys were in the NICU for 10 days. That would have bankrupted us in the US. What if your wife needs a C-section? What if the baby is premature and needs to stay in the NICU? If you plan (and save) for the worst-case scenario then most likely you'll come out ahead (having not spent as much as you budgeted for in the worst case scenario).

Seriously, I (and everyone) want you to succeed. So accept that we see (as people who have been around longer and can stick to budgets and whatnot) what you don't - that this best-case scenario MMM plan is doomed to fail.

Veskit posted:

SMART goals aren't something that my company uses as like corporate chat? Or is this post ironic. Or does my company have a good goal system :psyduck:

Ha - I thought this was the personal goal system I as a model employee was supposed to have for myself in order to grow or move up or something. I actually think it could work a lot better as a personal financial goal reality check.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Veskit posted:

Wait....

I have been using them since high school I suppose. I think it works because it actually sets the path in stone so to speak. It is how I ran a 5 min mile even. I think they work really well for finances (I think because they fit so well into the 5 parts). I think they even can work at work if you have the right people and bosses.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
As an aside, I don't think he could possibly save enough to cover a 10-day NICU stay in the US. My portion of emergency post-birth surgery was $600 after insurance just for the doctor. The anesthesiologist and everything else under the sun were billed separately. Oh, and that was all charged separate from the birth itself. I honestly don't know what young people who have kids with serious medical complications do in the US. Go bankrupt? Charity care? Family?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
OK just want to acknowledge that I've read every post here, but I need to get off the computer - I've got computer back so gently caress being on here right now.

Some quick things:
I actually never read Zaurgs whole story. I regret trying to be goofy when I chose the thread title. Regardless of who he is or what he's done I can absolutely guarantee I am not him. I am not weak (sometimes I am apathetic when I lose track though). In the 3 years since the original thread, 2 of those were us doing our damndest to survive. We weren't making any money, we generally survived and dug ourselves deeper because of payday loans, and it was generally hell. I didn't have room to save money, or any money we did get went towards like one luxury a month (like a nice restaurant). Getting a job that paid 3+ times what we were living off of a year? It has been nuts and we've went overboard enjoying it at first.

When I thought I had a nice windfall of money coming through contracting yea I blew it and made bad decisions. We spent hours on the estimate (my boss and I) because the company seemed genuinely interested in us. That's why I say it is a learning experience instead of something I'll regret to the end of my days.

Which brings me to my next point: Zaurg's wife wasn't on board with their finances much (all?) of the time. She wanted exorbitant birthday parties for a baby, and etc. My wife and I are both in this 100%. We both support each other and we have the same goals. I think that will go a long way towards achieving what we want.

Also maybe instead of just saying that my ambitions are not achievable maybe it would help me to explain why they're not achievable. Every time someone says "you can't do that" especially without explaining more I think "gently caress you watch me". It might be irrational sometimes but that's a lot of what drives me. Now obviously I don't expect people to explain themselves every time, because well gently caress me too you're trying to help me out. But you'll need to excuse me if I get a little defensive or fight the point.

To clarify:
My short term goal for tomorrow (and the next day ad infinitum until we get to budget more in the categories) is to not spend any money on restaurants, alcohol, clothing, or entertainment. Just because I didn't post that in the thread doesn't mean it's not a goal. It has been a goal every day since we hit our discretionary budget. This thread would be really boring to read if I said that same thing every day for the next 100 days (I try to keep it a little interesting), but it is still a goal. For August I also have set goals (to beat Slo Mo, and I'm not going to risk losing). It will take my daily goal*30 to achieve this, and I know that. I also have more specific goals that I'm not going to post so Slo Mo won't have an edge (watching you buddy). I think it's a goal that meets the SMART guidelines. I also know that following my short term goals will lead me to my long term goals - if not exactly.

Finally to answer the insurance/baby medical disaster question: I don't know. I assume our max out of pocket with insurance would cover that? Worst case scenario I just don't pay it. I've done that with plenty of medical bills when we were really poor (I mean really not me currently poor). It doesn't affect things as badly as you may think.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 22, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I was gonna say that it might not be fair to Slo Mo for your competition that he's in a much higher cost of living area, but then I realized your discretionary spending will be for two people vs his one, so I guess it evens out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I think it would be useful for you to post your household purchases in August. I've harped on you before for your pet care costs, but your 'necessary' monthly expenses seem extremely high on a regular basis. You might be able to save just by switching to generics/ shopping on Amazon or Costco. Even lumping your errands together on a weekly or biweekly basis would save on gas.

• Locked thread