Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh God why are you administering DNS through the HOSTS file. WHY.

DNS servers are complicated. In fact servers in general are complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

sfwarlock posted:

"Fixing your "broken" optical mouse by rotating the mousepad 90 degrees -$35.00 "

Wondering how many people remember when this was a thing. It's got to have been almost 20 years.

Now you've made me feel old... Though to be fair "Fixing a "broken" mouse by cleaning the rollers - $50.00" is even older :(

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

eithedog posted:

Now you've made me feel old... Though to be fair "Fixing a "broken" mouse by cleaning the rollers - $50.00" is even older :(

I like how this one doesn't even list a price:

quote:

Bringing in your own copy of the original Norton Utilities v1.0

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Manslaughter posted:

I like how this one doesn't even list a price:

If you have to ask you can't afford it.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Spazz posted:

Stupidest thing I've heard all year: Shutting off the office internet at 8PM and turning it back on at 7AM for security. It also may be the CEO's way of telling employees to go home and stop working, but the way the IT guy told me this it sounds like it's not.

Around here apparently if the exchange detects your router dropping off and reconnecting on a semi regular basis they slow down your connection rate to try to stabilise things. To get it back up to normal speed you need to call your ISP and ask them to perform a port reset.
We have a few farm based clients who often unplug their routers if a thunderstorm is potentially coming or if they will be away for a few days or more. Lightening strikes on the lines have friend more than a few PCs that way.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Yaos posted:

DNS servers are complicated. In fact servers in general are complicated.

What boggles my mind is that we have a team of sys admins who are responsible for our customer facing servers (including DNS) but they can't bother slapping one together for us. It's not like the talent isn't there, management just doesn't care.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Varkk posted:

Around here apparently if the exchange detects your router dropping off and reconnecting on a semi regular basis they slow down your connection rate to try to stabilise things. To get it back up to normal speed you need to call your ISP and ask them to perform a port reset.
We have a few farm based clients who often unplug their routers if a thunderstorm is potentially coming or if they will be away for a few days or more. Lightening strikes on the lines have friend more than a few PCs that way.

A house down the street from me got hit a couple years back and blew a hole in the roof. It also managed to gently caress up anything connected to our phone line and anything connected to anything connected to that line - I had a dead AirPort, switch, microserver etc. Now I have a lightning arrestor on the line.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

GreenNight posted:

"End user gave me your IP as his own. Cheers, bye".

The "Director" seems like a huge rear end in a top hat though, so good luck.

Update: He is. He had a peon of his call me for information about the 'incident'. Said peon agreed that it was a waste of everyone involveds time. Fortunately the whole conversation with Mr wrong IP was over IM so I gave him the logs and that was that.

Blame successfully shifted!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Great Beer posted:

He had a peon of his call me for information about the 'incident'.

What. Oh my God ahahahaha

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What does he do when his home broadband router detects a ping?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

Shut. Down. Everything.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Fenrisulfr posted:

If you have to ask you can't afford it.

It's like seafood. "Market rate."

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thanks Ants posted:

Call his ISP and demand they do something about the hacker on their network.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

One ping only?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
... to restore a mailbox from a user who retired two years before we began managing this company's network. Two or three server migrations ago.

Their backups from that time period are not substantial, and may be nonexistent.

The email is desired for use in litigation.

What time do the bars open?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

FreshFeesh posted:

... to restore a mailbox from a user who retired two years before we began managing this company's network. Two or three server migrations ago.

Their backups from that time period are not substantial, and may be nonexistent.

6am if you have a bottle in your desk.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

FreshFeesh posted:

Is there a legal requirement to keep them for that long? If there is, it sucks to be you so bad :( if there isn't, well, too bad.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our policy is only to keep backups for 1 year, so when it's poo poo that old it's easy to say "policy!".

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Our policy is only to keep backups for 1 year, so when it's poo poo that old it's easy to say "policy!".

Most places I worked at kept emails for a minimum of 3 years.

Still, 2 years before you guys started and multiple server migrations ago, blame the old guys for not keeping it. "Sorry, the people we took over from skimped on the backups, they apparently pruned most stuff after a year."

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

When I worked in finance they kept e-mails for 7 years and call records for 20. I don't even want to know what the big pharma data retention policies are...

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
"My monitor stopped working!"
"Hm, it looks fine, let's look at your vid... oh."

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Spazz posted:

When I worked in finance they kept e-mails for 7 years and call records for 20. I don't even want to know what the big pharma data retention policies are...

Without giving away too much, as I know someone who works for big pharma, not as bad as you think.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I used to work for a civil engineering firm, an some of the stuff involving land fills (like original design documents, testing reports) has to be kept for at least 50 years.

No, it can't be kept IN the project, either.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

"My monitor stopped working!"
"Hm, it looks fine, let's look at your vid... oh."

Something desperately tried to get out :ohdear:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

eithedog posted:

Something desperately tried to get out :ohdear:

The magic smoke did get out!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Spazz posted:

We have to keep patient records for 7 years OR if the patient was a minor at the time of interaction, for 7 years or until they turn 21, whichever is longer. So if we see babies we've got records we have to hang on to for potentially 21 years.

The basement for one of our sites has nothing but dozens/hundreds of boxes of paper charts in it that no one will probably ever look at again until it's thrown into the shredder truck.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Found a really well written support note today that perfectly helped diagnose an issue. When I checked who wrote it I found that it was me 14 years ago.

I think that means I've been doing this job for too long.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Sirotan posted:

We have to keep patient records for 7 years OR if the patient was a minor at the time of interaction, for 7 years or until they turn 21, whichever is longer. So if we see babies we've got records we have to hang on to for potentially 21 years.

The basement for one of our sites has nothing but dozens/hundreds of boxes of paper charts in it that no one will probably ever look at again until it's thrown into the shredder truck.

I was about to post this exact same thing, right down to the dozens of boxes in our basement. The 7/21 rule must be true for a lot of states. Right now we have two years of unorganized boxes we're trying to sort through. Thankfully the need for old paper records rarely comes up.

Aside from patient records, I think we have board meeting minutes dating back to the 60s down there.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Baconroll posted:

Found a really well written support note today that perfectly helped diagnose an issue. When I checked who wrote it I found that it was me 14 years ago.

At the old place when dealing with a persistent Citrix problem I was obliged to tell Tony about it. While I was in his office he started web searching the problem and then read my own Citrix forum post back to me, even though I was saying "That's my post. Tony, you're reading my post. The answer isn't there. Tony. Stop."

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sirotan posted:

Seems like it would be better to use some OCR and interface magic to get this stuff into an EMR. Records that seem worthless now could turn out to be lifesaving later when someone turns up with a weird malady and the only clue was in some random fetal blood screening or something.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Seems like it would be better to use some OCR and interface magic to get this stuff into an EMR. Records that seem worthless now could turn out to be lifesaving later when someone turns up with a weird malady and the only clue was in some random fetal blood screening or something.

Yes it would but no one has free time to do it and every non-doctor hired to do it is taking money away from a doctor

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Seems like it would be better to use some OCR and interface magic to get this stuff into an EMR.

The joke about doctors handwriting is not a joke.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Baconroll posted:

Or you desperately need to upgrade whatever you were working on.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

go3 posted:

Yes it would but no one has free time to do it and every non-doctor hired to do it is taking money away from a doctor

There are companies that do nothing but take giant old boxes of your medical records and turn them into nice, neat, searchable PDFs.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
I know that DHCP superscopes are generally a result of sloppy VLANing, but holy gently caress did they save my rear end today. (VLANs were merged together resulting in two subnets living together with two ip-helper interfaces. DHCP set up with one scope per subnet, no superscopes. Broadcast ACK/NACK stormin' ahoy! Laptops dropping left and right. Mass hysteria!)

Next step, LLDP on all our switches so I can segment our subnets again (VOIP/Data), and all will be right in the world.

Also, VOIP phones can tag their own packets! :psyboom:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

go3 posted:

At the 2 hospitals I've worked at, this is Medical Records job. Also, they use these huge Fujitsu scanners that are able to scan pages ridiculously fast. I don't think they worry about OCR as I'm pretty sure everything is scanned as a TIFF.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

TWBalls posted:

At the 2 hospitals I've worked at, this is Medical Records job. Also, they use these huge Fujitsu scanners that are able to scan pages ridiculously fast. I don't think they worry about OCR as I'm pretty sure everything is scanned as a TIFF.

The OCR can be done later, typically capturing pages is a process that's just designed to be as fast as possible without jams or stoppages. There will almost always be additional QA, OCR, etc.
Those TIFFs will almost certainly end up eventually merged into documents as PDFs or something as a final product.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dick Trauma posted:

At the old place when dealing with a persistent Citrix problem I was obliged to tell Tony about it. While I was in his office he started web searching the problem and then read my own Citrix forum post back to me, even though I was saying "That's my post. Tony, you're reading my post. The answer isn't there. Tony. Stop."

I kinda run into a similar issue. I'll start searching for an obtuse backup-related issue and find my own knowledgebase articles.

I've found a couple that were lifted wholesale and put on other sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Look at this guy, thinking we could afford something like this.

But really, the only value these records have is in case we are legally obliged to provide them. We're not a hospital, we're not curing rare diseases, there's probably a certain about of data that would be valuable for tracking purposes but we don't have the money or personnel to ever be able to do it. We're just bidding our time until the only records we're storing are electronic.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 22, 2014

• Locked thread