Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Don't forget that time he bitched about Boardwalk Empire because it had a quick side story involving selling guns to the IRA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

You know, years ago, when I heard about Chuck Zito being pissed at Sutter, I thought 'What the gently caress? Zito's a moron for actually thinking he'd make a better show' (this was YEARS ago).

Now, I wish we had a Chuck Zito-helmed motorcycle club show.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
True Detective spent like 45 minutes on outlaw biker poo poo and made it much more scary, cool and badass than SoA

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

comes along bort posted:

Don't forget that time he bitched about Boardwalk Empire because it had a quick side story involving selling guns to the IRA.
Selling guns to the IRA?

That's insane, everyone knows you buy guns from the IRA to sell to Mexican/Black/Chinese gangs on the American West Coast.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

comes along bort posted:

Those monsters! Including a plotline about Irish-Americans selling weapons to the IRA on a show that is set in a time when the IRA was actually relevant! Next they may have a plotline about racial tensions in America during the 1920s, another obvious attempt to rip off of poor defenseless Kurt Sutter!

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

Pron on VHS posted:

True Detective spent like 45 minutes on outlaw biker poo poo and made it much more scary, cool and badass than SoA

For real this

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You know, years ago, when I heard about Chuck Zito being pissed at Sutter, I thought 'What the gently caress? Zito's a moron for actually thinking he'd make a better show' (this was YEARS ago).

Now, I wish we had a Chuck Zito-helmed motorcycle club show.

If you wanna get super bummed out HBO was working on an outlaw biker show around 2008 with Donal Logue as the series lead, then Sonny Barger sued them and Sons of Anarchy happened.

Pron on VHS posted:

Plus a better soundtrack- the Melvins, Sleep, Primus, BDP, Wu-Tang, etc. instead of whatever license-free buttrock tunes Sutter found on mp3.com during editing.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 21, 2014

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DrProsek posted:

Those monsters! Including a plotline about Irish-Americans selling weapons to the IRA on a show that is set in a time when the IRA was actually relevant! Next they may have a plotline about racial tensions in America during the 1920s, another obvious attempt to rip off of poor defenseless Kurt Sutter!

turns out Nucky doesnt care if his gang is black or white as long as they produce the goods

Sutter: :argh: we didn't care about that stuff last season!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
It's almost unfair to compare even 30-45 minutes of a show that is as consistently high quality as True Detective S1 to SoA. That the auteur behind TD was completely new to television/film just makes it that much sweeter.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
It just proves some people work better left to their own devices and others benefit from heavy editing and sharing creative control.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

comes along bort posted:

It just proves some people work better left to their own devices and others benefit from heavy editing and sharing creative control.

I wonder if Sutter's involvement in The Shield was even that beneficial to the show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I wonder if Sutter's involvement in The Shield was even that beneficial to the show.

Shawn Ryan said that Sutter came up with some of the best stories on the show, but just as frequently he'd come up with something completely batshit and had to be reigned in.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It definitely was. He just wasn't running the show and didn't have carte blanche to go all Sutter-crazy. Let's not forget that the reason a lot of are in this thread right now is because SoA initially nicely filled the hole left by The Shield.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I haven't seen Mad Men but I can't imagine he's really trying to say Breaking Bad ran out of story. The thing just didn't let up the entire final two seasons. It may not have been perfect, but not because they "ran out of story".

It's definitely a valid criticism of Mad Men that it's run out of story -- they're at the point where they're portraying Don Draper's second divorce and you can almost tell that even the cast don't care anymore.

Pron on VHS posted:

He is talking about Justified. It's a rival show roughly in the same crime drama genre on the same network that has received 7 Emmy noms and I think he has taken passive shots at it before. The last season also was a bit meandering (but still loving awesome)

Could be this, too.

He wouldn't say that Breaking Bad ran out of story.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The dialogue definitely got a lot cornier after he took over as co-producer.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Kurt Sutter posted:

Considering I’m a week-and-a-half behind writing episode 7, it could all change. I’ve always had a sense of where I wanted it to go, and I come in each season with a blueprint with the big arcs and mile markers. And I’ve learned over seven seasons the looser I grip that idea the better the seasons are. And this season isn’t any different. I came in with how I wanted the season to end … but things change. It’s always been heading in the same direction, but the way I’m getting there continues to change.

Sutter basically has no idea how the series will end (Spoiler - with a montage)

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Relax, I have total faith in the man who came up with the CIA Cartel ending.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

Sutter basically has no idea how the series will end (Spoiler - with a montage)

The final episode will be a 90 minute montage with no commercial breaks.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

smg77 posted:

The final episode will be a 90 minute montage with no commercial breaks.

It will also be a buttrock musical, with Katey Sagal doing lead and backing vocals.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Still a better plot than the CIA ending. More cohesive storytelling.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Sorry if That Is The Joke, but didn't he beg for an extra episode so he could poo poo out the CIA ending because he wrote himself into a corner?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fooley posted:

Sorry if That Is The Joke, but didn't he beg for an extra episode so he could poo poo out the CIA ending because he wrote himself into a corner?

This is the first I'm hearing about this, but it wouldn't surprise me. I'm no writer, but I would think that having an ending first would be a priority, and then you craft your story around it.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

This is the first I'm hearing about this, but it wouldn't surprise me. I'm no writer, but I would think that having an ending first would be a priority, and then you craft your story around it.

Nah, some work that way, some don't. The best ending would be vigilante Mackey wasting the gently caress out of SAMCRO, then he walks right into the camera and cue musical sting.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Fooley posted:

I'm not sure he has enough self awareness to realize he's written himself into a corner.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What the gently caress was the point of the wig on CCH?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Combat Pretzel posted:

:shrug: Either to thoroughly :huh: anything having to do with the Shield or for a twenty-second scene that happens later in the season.

The wig was distracting as gently caress for me, too.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
So she could go hood, sister.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Combat Pretzel posted:

Kurt wanted an excuse to have an old black woman "go street" by taking it off or whatever phrase she used.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I'm still in love with whoever commented that she looked like E.T. in a wig.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

To set up a crossover episode with Corey Stoll's wig on The Strain.

RichardDunn
Oct 23, 2008

smg77 posted:

Best post. Thank you.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
We should rename the thread the Sons of Anarchy hatewatch appreciation station.

Let's face it: there were a couple of legitimately good episodes last season, and I'm happy for them. We also have bathtubs of piss which are entertainingly horrible.

And then there's Venus van Damme.

I mean, if we're honest, we're all in here, and probably watching, because Sutter got us hooked like trout. The bait was delicious at first, and then it stung a little, but now we've just been taken out of the water, gasping in the open air. But there remains a certain kind of entertainment value, even if it's horrible, and we've just got to know how it all ends :ohdear: (even if it's terrible).

cf. The Dexter season 8 thread.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

In order for this show to be worse than Dexter, season 7 needs to be filled with nothing happening.

I don't think this is how it's going to go down. It'll be stupid and violent, but it'll be entertaining, just in no-way deep or well-written.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Propaganda Machine posted:

even if it's horrible, and we've just got to know how it all ends :ohdear: (even if it's terrible).

Only one thing has leaked so far about the finale and it's that the ending is both horrible and terrible

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Jax will survive the final season, but he'll be forced to start a new life as a lumberjack in Oregon.

There aren't any hurricanes in California so I guess he'll ride his motorcycle into a wildfire.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The axe flies straight...

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

In order for this show to be worse than Dexter, season 7 needs to be filled with nothing happening.

That could very well be what we end up getting though. If any show can match the Dexter finale it's this one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CODChimera posted:

That could very well be what we end up getting though. If any show can match the Dexter finale it's this one.

See, I expect the exact opposite; too much will happen. This show is, by and large, entertaining moment-to-moment. However, when you try and logically string those moments together, everything fails. Leonard Shelby would think this show was a great, action-packed experience, but with Dexter, he'd probably be bored. Like he was watching Green Acres or something.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

smg77 posted:

If you read the books, you'll understand that Corey Stoll's wig has an actual purpose though.

It's not OUT OF IDEAS like shows such as Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

Kurt Sutter is such an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

In Dexter someone gets turned into a bench. Maybe we'll have the Tara Teller Memorial Ice Cream or motorcycle seat.

Steak fork?

• Locked thread