Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

SatansBestBuddy posted:

... but the whole point is that it's a band game, not a karaoke game.

And in essence, that was its downfall. I host or assist in hosting events regularly, and what gets people to agree to play is "it's just like karaoke but with extra instruments, really, try it out." Most newcomers are attracted to the karaoke aspect of the game and it's the easiest way to sell it to people. It's a lot less intimidating than the instruments.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

RB: Beatles ported! (This may already exist in customland.)

It does. Every single TBRB song is available for playing in RB3 as a custom, a lot of them with several improvements (pro drums, added pro guitar/pro bass/ keys/ pro keys) plus all the official charts, audio, album cover, metadata, etc. Officially it will never happen for licensing restrictions, as HMX has mentioned before.

I do not care about a future Rock Band, simply because there is no way they will allow customs on it, and I don't want to play without the many many excellent customs we have access to now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
Quick heads up for drums and vocals players with a flair for elderly Canadian trios: I released Vapor Trails (Remixed, the original sucked) for drums and harmonies only, all difficulties. I'm not linking because I'm not sure we can (our forums, Other Customs section), but since it's a full album release I thought it was worth a mention.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

TrojanNemo posted:

I do not care about a future Rock Band, simply because there is no way they will allow customs on it, and I don't want to play without the many many excellent customs we have access to now.

This. The only way they could get me to buy a next gen rock band is if all the DLC ports which it won't. I've simply spent so much money on RB this gen that I will stick with what I got until I can't anymore and then I guess I'll be done with it.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

ApexAftermath posted:

This. The only way they could get me to buy a next gen rock band is if all the DLC ports which it won't.

They all but said it would, actually. Dance Central will, in example, and on Reddit they specifically said it would not be a problem to do it for Rock Band.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
While I'm going to cling to my XBox 360 version for as long as possible, the main reason that I hope that they do relaunch Rock Band at some point in the future is to try and give the userbase a shot in the arm.

Also, while I have a semi-stable group that I play with, a reasonable collection of hardware, and enough working understanding of hardware that I can make most controller repairs myself. However, my XBox is going to eventually die, and it'll be nice to not have to hunt for devices that are extremely out of fab.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

farottone posted:

They all but said it would, actually. Dance Central will, in example, and on Reddit they specifically said it would not be a problem to do it for Rock Band.

Will it port from xbox360 to ps4, because there is no way I'm getting an xbone.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

farottone posted:

Interesting. Wouldn't they have to re license? Like anything that has been pulled from the store wouldn't transfer over unless they worked out new deals right?

EDIT: Also if they do this, they need to make it so I just sign in with my xbox 360 gamertag, and it just downloads my DLC. They need to make this user friendly and take care of the people who really supported the game with DLC purchases.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

farottone posted:

Quick heads up for drums and vocals players with a flair for elderly Canadian trios: I released Vapor Trails (Remixed, the original sucked) for drums and harmonies only, all difficulties. I'm not linking because I'm not sure we can (our forums, Other Customs section), but since it's a full album release I thought it was worth a mention.

Aaaahh! I love you! Drums + vox are the instruments my girlfriend and I play, too!

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I'm sticking with the karaoke idea because it's the only way I see this particular IP surviving. I mean, I get all of the counter-arguments, but as others have said, I don't see instrument peripherals ever being a thing again. I would love to be wrong.

My actual dream-dream -- i.e. "never going to happen" -- is the thing I've gone on about in this thread before. Imagine a beatmatching music game platform that spans consoles/mobile/etc., is fully modular for instruments, actual gameplay (imagine RB + EBA/Ouendan + Gitaroo Man + DDR in a single game), and song packages, and supports user-generated content with an aggressive user ratings system to sort out the chaff. Sometimes I dream about Harmonix's Record Run algorithm being used to sync up custom charts with audio with little or no user involvement and the sheets are sticky in the morning.

El Destructo
Jul 28, 2004

The football is in my path.
In 12 seconds' time she pulls
it away. I'm already lying there, 12 seconds into the future.

TrojanNemo posted:

Most newcomers are attracted to the karaoke aspect of the game and it's the easiest way to sell it to people. It's a lot less intimidating than the instruments.
Rock Band Tuesdays is like this now, but it wasn't always so. In the very beginning, most of the people we attracted were gamers familiar with Guitar Hero. They went for the plastic guitars by default, then tried out the "new" instrument (drums) while actively avoiding the mic. To be fair, singing carried a lot of intimidation factors back then: RB1's strict pitch grading and lack of a no-fail mode, not to mention being on stage in public with dozens of people watching.

Now, with most hardcore gamers having long since moved on to newer titles, most participants are karaoke hounds or casual players. Singing is the big attraction, with nearly every request coming from someone who wants to sing. Instruments are covered by their friends, the 2-3 die-hard gamers who still want to show off their chops, or the MC.

In fact, I've considered changing the format to singers-only with a rotating roster of instrument players acting as the "house band."

El Destructo fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 21, 2014

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I don't think I would play Rock Band on a next gen system if I couldn't port every DLC and Custom Created song into the new game and the odds of that are probably somewhere around dirt.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I guess y'all hoping for a new Rock Band are eccentric millionaires, because the cost of a next-gen console and a whole new set of plastic instruments is not going to be pretty.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

El Destructo posted:

In fact, I've considered changing the format to singers-only with a rotating roster of instrument players acting as the "house band."

I don't think it's quite at that point on our end, but to some extent it already happens by default. I tend to play a good 70% of the songs on drums because there's almost never a drummer. I'm virtually the only one who plays on keys. We do have a fair share of decent guitar players, and 3-5 excellent drummers. The rest is singing, some good, some horribly bad :-D

Binowru posted:

I guess y'all hoping for a new Rock Band are eccentric millionaires, because the cost of a next-gen console and a whole new set of plastic instruments is not going to be pretty.

You don't have to be a millionaire to afford this game, but yes you definitely need some spending money. Or be really bad at finances and use your school loan to purchase gear or songs (what I did while I was in school)...

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
If first party next-gen plastic instruments ever got manufactured -- the odds of which I'm putting at several thousand to one -- you'd presumably be able to buy band bundles again, which was how most of us got started back in the day. My bigger problem would be that I'm 100% used to my full-size Strat replica and ION kit, which won't work on the Xbox One, and gently caress spending money on inferior instruments when I have these perfectly good ones sitting around.

But, again, next-gen Rock Band will almost assuredly not be like RB1/2/3. If we get anything, it'll be some kind of Blitz 2 or a new spin-off.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

pksage posted:

If first party next-gen plastic instruments ever got manufactured -- the odds of which I'm putting at several thousand to one -- you'd presumably be able to buy band bundles again, which was how most of us got started back in the day. My bigger problem would be that I'm 100% used to my full-size Strat replica and ION kit, which won't work on the Xbox One, and gently caress spending money on inferior instruments when I have these perfectly good ones sitting around.

But, again, next-gen Rock Band will almost assuredly not be like RB1/2/3. If we get anything, it'll be some kind of Blitz 2 or a new spin-off.

The good thing about the ION is that you could just get a new drum brain, but even then.

El Destructo
Jul 28, 2004

The football is in my path.
In 12 seconds' time she pulls
it away. I'm already lying there, 12 seconds into the future.

pksage posted:

My bigger problem would be that I'm 100% used to my full-size Strat replica and ION kit, which won't work on the Xbox One, and gently caress spending money on inferior instruments when I have these perfectly good ones sitting around.
Same here, and I voted for a new version of RB on the older platform over an Xbone version for that reason. The center of gravity lies with the instruments and song library, not the console.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
We're finally releasing what I started more than a year ago, which is a complete tutorial for new authors for customs authoring. It's not a flashy video tutorial, it's an interactive PDF with no picture, much like the original HMX docs that have very few pictures. This document covers all aspects of authoring and is intended for people of *any background*. The tutorial explains how to author a song in the easiest way: in example, this is how me and Nemo started out from being "simple" RB players (knowing nothing about authoring, game file format, etc.) to authors, this is how we learned and how we managed to not get frustrated while doing it. You will learn how to use existing MIDI files to speed things up and each instrument is broken down to see how it should be authored.

This is supposed to be a point of reference for everybody, for a complete authoring learning experience when coupled with our videos (which are referenced in the tutorial anyway for a few sections) and the official HMX documentation.

I genuinely hope that this will motivate a few more people to get in the authoring game. By using a Frets on Fire chart or a music MIDI, you're really easing yourself in and there's always time to polish your work.

Anyway, here it is: http://keepitfishy.com/d.php?53cec8d2f2465

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

farottone posted:

We're finally releasing what I started more than a year ago, which is a complete tutorial for new authors for customs authoring. It's not a flashy video tutorial, it's an interactive PDF with no picture, much like the original HMX docs that have very few pictures. This document covers all aspects of authoring and is intended for people of *any background*. The tutorial explains how to author a song in the easiest way: in example, this is how me and Nemo started out from being "simple" RB players (knowing nothing about authoring, game file format, etc.) to authors, this is how we learned and how we managed to not get frustrated while doing it. You will learn how to use existing MIDI files to speed things up and each instrument is broken down to see how it should be authored.

This is supposed to be a point of reference for everybody, for a complete authoring learning experience when coupled with our videos (which are referenced in the tutorial anyway for a few sections) and the official HMX documentation.

I genuinely hope that this will motivate a few more people to get in the authoring game. By using a Frets on Fire chart or a music MIDI, you're really easing yourself in and there's always time to polish your work.

Anyway, here it is: http://keepitfishy.com/d.php?53cec8d2f2465

I'm just skimming through it now, and that looks fantastic. Great job!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I am going to read this a bit once I've got a snack, but I do have to ask, where did that rad cover photo come from?

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Allen Wren posted:

I am going to read this a bit once I've got a snack, but I do have to ask, where did that rad cover photo come from?

Nothing glamorous, just Shutterstock.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
C3 releases for July 25, 2014:

New! At the Movies C01 11-pack
  • AC/DC - "Big Gun" (funkydunkleman feat. farottone)
    (from Last Action Hero)
  • Adam Sandler - "Grow Old With You" (Lowlander)
    (from The Wedding Singer)
  • Adam Sandler - "Somebody Kill Me" (Lowlander)
    (from The Wedding Singer)
  • Green Day - "The Simpsons Theme" (DVDSmith)
    (from The Simpsons Movie)
  • Huey Lewis and the News - "Back in Time" (drummerockband)
    (from Back to the Future)
  • James - "Laid" (EvilCornbread)
    (from American Pie)
  • Kenny Loggins - "Danger Zone" X (BearzUnlimited)
    (from Top Gun)
  • Megadeth - "Angry Again" (farottone)
    (from Last Action Hero)
  • Queensr˙che - "Real World" (farottone)
    (from Last Action Hero)
  • Tegan and Sara - "Everything is AWESOME!!! (feat. The Lonely Island)" (drummerockband and Gigakoops)
    (from The LEGO Movie)
  • The Wonders - "That Thing You Do!" (drummerockband)
    (from That Thing You Do!)

DANGER ZONEEEEEEEE

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Holy poo poo. If I ever learned customs, That Thing You Do would have been the first song I did. Bless you lovely men.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Woh, awesome week for singing. Now I will expect more movie songs. Now I need Holiday Road (or to learn to make customs myself.)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
DANGER ZONE!!!
It finally happened! :rock:

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I love that "Somebody Kill Me" was charted. :xd:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Fantastic!

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Very cool. "That Thing You Do" kinda sorta gives us our first Fountains of Wayne song, too!

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
Oh man, those Last Action Hero soundtrack songs. I had that on cassette and played the poo poo out of it. Definitely grabbing those immediately.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
Told you this would have been an exciting week...

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

farottone posted:

Told you this would have been an exciting week...

I haven't played in RB in months, but I hope my new neighbors like Megadeth!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Everything! is awesooooooooooooooome. Gonna play every song.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

TrojanNemo posted:

And in essence, that was its downfall. I host or assist in hosting events regularly, and what gets people to agree to play is "it's just like karaoke but with extra instruments, really, try it out." Most newcomers are attracted to the karaoke aspect of the game and it's the easiest way to sell it to people. It's a lot less intimidating than the instruments.

It does. Every single TBRB song is available for playing in RB3 as a custom, a lot of them with several improvements (pro drums, added pro guitar/pro bass/ keys/ pro keys) plus all the official charts, audio, album cover, metadata, etc. Officially it will never happen for licensing restrictions, as HMX has mentioned before.

Where are they? They aren't on C3. I never play the Beatles stuff simply because I'm too lazy to put in a different disc.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I'm sure there's a link somewhere on the C3 forums. I'd link directly, but :filez:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Word, I'll poke around.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

whypick1 posted:

I'm sure there's a link somewhere on the C3 forums. I'd link directly, but :filez:

There definitely isn't. I absolutely don't have TBRB in my RB3. My girlfriend and I completely didn't play Carry That Weight until she wanted to end my life.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
check that other forum on the see three web site. look for something sticky.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
This week is awesome. Everything is awesome in the dane-juhhhhhhhhh zoneeeeeeeeeee

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
I got to say, I am surprised at just how sure these people posting that the TBRB songs aren't on C3 seem to be. It's not even buried in the forums. It's RIGHT THERE.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I've decided it's time to figure out this whole custom thing, get the awesome C3 customs loaded, and host a Rock Band night.

I'm guessing it should be super-easy for me since I have a JTAG'ed 360 that already has RB3 installed along with a shitload of songs (1600ish?).

The problem is, I haven't really done much with my JTAG'ed box in a while and, embarrassingly, don't really remember where in the folder structure the song files are supposed to go.

I'd also like to clean up a bunch of lovely RBN and novelty DLC tracks from my drive but IIRC the file names are all hashes.

Anyone have links to tutorials for:
1) getting customs on a JTAG
2) auditing (and removing unwanted) tracks already on a JTAG.

I thought I saw something a while ago in the OP about customs on JTAG but can't seem to find it now.

Edit: Nevermind, that was easy. Just needed to upgrade Freestyle Dash and use 360 Content Manager to clean everything up. Yay for JTAG.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
As a bonus, you can also play LIVE-signed customs in Rock Band Blitz, if that's your thing. I think that's the biggest advantage JTAG has when it comes to customs.

• Locked thread