Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

max4me posted:

I hate to ask this.

But I am in a pissing match with my relatives, I got put down a bit being called some ugly things about being brainwashed, when I challeneged their calls for impeaching obama. I asked what he did and got an email a day later of some republican talking points.

Can anyway give me some short rebufs to these. I already went over
1) being an excutive order asked for by the republican congress.
I dont know much about the dream act,
I did know enough to argue that Bergdahl was traded for POW's that had to be tried or returned and notifying congress would have but Bergdahl at risk.

I do notice he kept just stating that obama broke the law
Most of this is useless hyperbole.

1) the constitution gives the president wide latitude in enforcement of the laws. And if the ACA is so terrible and needs to be repealed, how is refusal to enforce part of it a bad thing?

2) War Powers Act. What he did was perfectly legal

3) The cuts to available plans and networks were made by private organizations to save money by slashing their risk pools, not the government. Obama had nothing at all to do with that.

4) this entire thing is a load of poo poo.

5) He alerted congress in 2012 of his intent to negotiate for the release of up to 6 prisoners, he didn't let them know immediately prior to the release due to health concerns, something the law specifically allowed him to do.

And here

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Seriously, just push for accelerationism. Republicans remember what happened the last time they tried to impeach over bullshit reasons, they're not going to go down that path again unless they're desperate and the odds are more in their favor. Any Republican that isn't initiating impeachment proceedings tomorrow is aiding that muslim communist and should be up against the wall.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

radical meme posted:

Something that's always puzzled the hell out of me is how insanely impossible it is for a young person to travel inside the U.S. If some college student or even high school graduate wanted to travel from Baltimore to San Diego, taking in the sites along the way, it can't be done unless you're wealthy. Yeah, you might be able to ride the bus, but where are you going to stay along the way. It's easier and cheaper to fly to Europe and travel around than to try to make your way across country here. Makes it hard to interact and exchange ideas when its cheaper and safer to travel abroad.

What? You just drive, and motels are cheap. Having a used car at 19 isn't "wealthy". It sure as poo poo isn't cheaper to fly to Europe.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
That's an awful amount of water for a mint julep.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DemeaninDemon posted:

That's an awful amount of water for a completely wrong mint julep.

A julep should have just enough water to dissolve the sugar unless you're using simple syrup. The rest is crushed ice and bourbon.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

max4me posted:

I hate to ask this.

But I am in a pissing match with my relatives, I got put down a bit being called some ugly things about being brainwashed, when I challeneged their calls for impeaching obama. I asked what he did and got an email a day later of some republican talking points.

Looking into #5, it turns out the 30-day notification rule isn't that clear-cut. Obama as the President is granted the exclusive power as the Commander-in-Chief to direct forces during wartime (including power over prisoner exchanges), and as such the line about a 30-day notification in the NDAA could be seen as interfering with this power. Some legal experts are therefore saying that Congress may break the law if they interpreted that section in such a manner. In fact, Obama made a signing statement that said as much when he signed the bill into law.

So procedurally speaking, Obama isn't necessarily in the wrong. He isn't necessarily in the right either. Nevertheless, the issue is complex enough that it's very unlikely that it'll have any legal standing against Obama.

As for the Taliban prisoners... I'm getting conflicting information from some casual googling, but from what I'm reading here it doesn't seem like the five prisoners are much of a danger at all. Of the five, one was just a civilian official. Another was a police chief who never held a leadership position in the Taliban itself. A third was a moderate who is on record with trying to negotiate with opponents of the Taliban, while a fourth only got his position because the guy who held the post (a deputy intelligence official) got sick. Only one of the Taliban Five, Mohammed Fazl, seems to have a history that would make him a potential danger to the US.

Even then however, after ten years imprisoned in Gitmo it's very unlikely that Fazl will be of any use to the Taliban military. He has no knowledge of the logistical changes, political events, or military plans that occurred within the last decade.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Token libertarian Facebook friend just posted complaining about people renewing food stamps while having an "electronic car key" and "smart phone." The nerve of some people, right? :bahgawd:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
So now he's reduced to complaining about poor people having cars from the Clinton administration?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Nintendo Kid posted:

So now he's reduced to complaining about poor people having cars from the Clinton administration?

Well now my friend, let me tell you a little something about "poor" people and refrigerators...:smug:

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nintendo Kid posted:

What? You just drive, and motels are cheap. Having a used car at 19 isn't "wealthy". It sure as poo poo isn't cheaper to fly to Europe.

You're an idiot. Yes that is my response. I could write more, but I don't see the need except to say that my idea of taking the bus is cheaper than your "just drive and pay for gas there and back" stupidity.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You could technically count immobilizers as electronic keys and those date to the Reagan admin.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

radical meme posted:

Something that's always puzzled the hell out of me is how insanely impossible it is for a young person to travel inside the U.S. If some college student or even high school graduate wanted to travel from Baltimore to San Diego, taking in the sites along the way, it can't be done unless you're wealthy. Yeah, you might be able to ride the bus, but where are you going to stay along the way. It's easier and cheaper to fly to Europe and travel around than to try to make your way across country here. Makes it hard to interact and exchange ideas when its cheaper and safer to travel abroad.

This is dumb. Who told you this?

Road trips are like a quintessential staple of lovely youth americana. You pack five guys in a 92 Camry with nothing but ramen, weed, sleeping bags, vodka, and gas money and head cross country without a plan or a map. The bit of America between the coasts? It's literally nothing but cheap hotels, gas stations, campsites and endless ranks of nomadic vacationers.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

A julep should have just enough water to dissolve the sugar unless you're using simple syrup. The rest is crushed ice and bourbon.

Water? I always just muddle the sugar and mint, then add bourbon and ice. Using simnple syrup is no good because you need the grit of the sugar to beat up on the mint leaves.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Token libertarian Facebook friend just posted complaining about people renewing food stamps while having an "electronic car key" and "smart phone." The nerve of some people, right? :bahgawd:

If you've had a phone plan for more than a couple years there's almost no way you don't have a smart phone of some kind because you can effectively get an old one for free. Please tell me this person is over 40, please.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

max4me posted:

I hate to ask this.

Can anyway give me some short rebufs to these. I already went over
1) being an excutive order asked for by the republican congress.
I dont know much about the dream act,
I did know enough to argue that Bergdahl was traded for POW's that had to be tried or returned and notifying congress would have but Bergdahl at risk.

I do notice he kept just stating that obama broke the law

Your uncle is a shithead and nothing you ever send to him to refute his talking points will ever change that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Most places don't give a gently caress so they just throw ice, simple syrup, mint and hopefully jim beam in a glass and call it good

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

radical meme posted:

You're an idiot. Yes that is my response. I could write more, but I don't see the need except to say that my idea of taking the bus is cheaper than your "just drive and pay for gas there and back" stupidity.

While "just buy a cheap car and drive" is a pretty dumb answer, you're seriously underestimating the prevalence of hostels and backpackers' in the States. There's a hostel in Irving loving Texas of all places.

And taking the bus isn't that cheap. Though I agree it's cheaper than getting a loving car.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Stultus Maximus posted:

I just love conservatives talking about how a military action to accomplish regime change that lasted less than a year and had zero American casualties was a "complete disaster."

BENGHAZI!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

radical meme posted:

It sure as poo poo isn't cheaper to take Greyhound these days versus driving your own car. They're really hiked up fares, at the same time they've often cut back trips and destinations. Especially if you're doing it with more than one person.

Basically you have no idea what you're talking about, which was clear as soon as you said flying to Europe and traveling around there was cheaper than staying in America.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

This is dumb. Who told you this?

Road trips are like a quintessential staple of lovely youth americana. You pack five guys in a 92 Camry with nothing but ramen, weed, sleeping bags, vodka, and gas money and head cross country without a plan or a map. The bit of America between the coasts? It's literally nothing but cheap hotels, gas stations, campsites and endless ranks of nomadic vacationers.

This too. Once you start having multiple people there's no question it's way cheaper to stay in US/Canada/Mexico versus booking loving transatlantic flights to Europe (because $1000 a person is so cheap, right radical meme?)

PeterWeller posted:

While "just buy a cheap car and drive" is a pretty dumb answer,

I didn't say to buy the car. If you're a normal American who graduated high school you already have a beater at the least, or know someone with one that you can road trip with.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Fair enough. If you already have the car, you're good to go.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

My family all has smartphones now because upgrading to a dumb phone would have cost money instead of getting a 4S for free, and the contract was only like 15 bucks more, and we're hardly doing spiffy keen at the moment. :shrug:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ReidRansom posted:

Water? I always just muddle the sugar and mint, then add bourbon and ice. Using simnple syrup is no good because you need the grit of the sugar to beat up on the mint leaves.

:shrug: My muddler has a textured end.

:wiggle:

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nintendo Kid posted:

Basically you have no idea what you're talking about, which was clear as soon as you said flying to Europe and traveling around there was cheaper than staying in America.

This too. Once you start having multiple people there's no question it's way cheaper to stay in US/Canada/Mexico versus booking loving transatlantic flights to Europe (because $1000 a person is so cheap, right radical meme?)

Do the math and prove it. Otherwise, I stand by my "you're an idiot". I'm not talking about doing a stoner road trip. I've done plenty of those. I'm talking about actually traveling coast to coast and visiting Cities along the way where you get to know people other than your road buddies. Show me the math and prove I'm wrong.

Just by example, Motel 6 costs $40 per night and that awesome Irving Hostel someone mentioned has a price tag of $57 per night. (Ooops, I missed one in Irving that actually goes for $28.55 a night).

radical meme fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 22, 2014

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

If you've had a phone plan for more than a couple years there's almost no way you don't have a smart phone of some kind because you can effectively get an old one for free. Please tell me this person is over 40, please.

I wish, he's like 24

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

radical meme posted:

Do the math and prove it. Otherwise, I stand by my "you're an idiot". I'm not talking about doing a stoner road trip. I've done plenty of those. I'm talking about actually traveling coast to coast and visiting Cities along the way where you get to know people other than your road buddies. Show me the math and prove I'm wrong.

Just by example, Motel 6 costs $40 per night and that awesome Irving Hostel someone mentioned has a price tag of $57 per night.

I drove cross country and back in a 2001 Ford Taurus in mid-2011 when gas cost more for a total of $1000 spent including gas across 7 days, and that's with me insisting on choosing higher end hotels along the route and not having anyone traveling along with me to split costs, and only crashing at an acquaintance's place for the middle 2 nights.

Roundtrip flights from the east coast to Europe with time between flights long enough to actually go around Europe start at $850 per person.

Are you going to claim you can spend say 5 days in Europe on just $150? Because if you are you're a drat liar.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Peven Stan posted:

Your uncle is a shithead and nothing you ever send to him to refute his talking points will ever change that.

Yes I know, but when he beats me down when I ask for explanations I would like to be informed enough to side step the fox news points.

It also weird that they just state this stuff is illegal. Its not like cliton lying under oath. Or bush and the WMD's in iraq.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Y'know guys it doesn't cost a thing to ride the rails aside from the occasional beating from the yard bull.:colbert:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

I drove cross country and back in a 2001 Ford Taurus in mid-2011 when gas cost more for a total of $1000 spent including gas across 7 days, and that's with me insisting on choosing higher end hotels along the route and not having anyone traveling along with me to split costs, and only crashing at an acquaintance's place for the middle 2 nights.

Roundtrip flights from the east coast to Europe with time between flights long enough to actually go around Europe start at $850 per person.

Are you going to claim you can spend say 5 days in Europe on just $150? Because if you are you're a drat liar.

I think we're all talking about different things.

One week? Definitely cheaper in the US. Two weeks? Probably cheaper in the US. Three weeks? Eh. Month or longer? Much more expensive in the US.

My three weeks in Peru cost me $1600 for the flights there and back and I spent about 700-800 while I was there and I hit a whole hell of a lot of hotspots and nicer hostels/restaurants and even flew across regions a few times. I've never been to Europe, but Asia was very similar.

I plan to do a trip from San Diego up the coast through LA, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and into Vancouver. I'm also planning a trip to Istanbul, into Athens, Chernobyl and Warsaw and it's honestly a tossup as to which is going to be more expensive.

Boon fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 22, 2014

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

I wish, he's like 24

Sounds like he's still young and dumb. Give it some time and financial hardship. He'll either grow the gently caress up or he'll go so deep down the rabbit hole he strikes comedy oil.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

comes along bort posted:

Y'know guys it doesn't cost a thing to ride the rails aside from the occasional beating from the yard bull.:colbert:

Is Rosetta Stone: Hobo out yet?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nintendo Kid posted:

That hostel was thirteen euros a day. The one I stayed at in Berlin was eight euros a day. It might be expensive to fly to Europe, but it's a lot cheaper to travel within it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

radical meme posted:

Just by example, Motel 6 costs $40 per night and that awesome Irving Hostel someone mentioned has a price tag of $57 per night. (Ooops, I missed one in Irving that actually goes for $28.55 a night).

Or hit up some goons with couches.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HEY GAL posted:

That hostel was thirteen euros a day. The one I stayed at in Berlin was eight euros a day. It might be expensive to fly to Europe, but it's a lot cheaper to travel within it.

$200+ multicountry rail passes easily eat any margin you can gain by cheap hostels on the way. Staying in one country can be but that's not going around Europe now is it?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Eurail passes are a scam and if you book early enough you pay like 40-60€ per flight

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

HEY GAL posted:

It depends on your definition of 'travel within it'. Radical Meme's offhand "Baltimore to San Diego" trip is the European equivalent of trekking from Lisbon to Moscow; actually, a bit further.

It's a bit of a schlep, and probably not that cheap.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Eurail passes are a scam and if you book early enough you pay like 40-60€ per flight

The $200 rail pass covers 5 trips within 4 countries, so paying 40 euro a flight would be $70 more. Which is the scam now?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Nintendo Kid posted:

The $200 rail pass covers 5 trips within 4 countries, so paying 40 euro a flight would be $70 more. Which is the scam now?

What if neither are a scam and they're merely competing ways of getting around with different strengths and weaknesses, of which cost is but one? :shrug:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

eurail passes are awesome because you don't need to book poo poo.

you can just go when you feel like and hop on the train. Except in Italy because Italy is poo poo.

the US does have hostels but they arn't as cheap, public transit isn't as good, and everything is too far apart travelwise. it's far from impossible to adventure across the states but it's just more expensive and more difficult.

quote:

i think i probably spent less in Greece several years ago (not counting travel). athens<-->crete ferry wasn't expensive and one of the hostels was like 7 euros a day the food was cheap.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i think i probably spent less in Greece several years ago (not counting travel). athens<-->crete ferry wasn't expensive and one of the hostels was like 7 euros a day the food was cheap.

Again, 5 days just in Greece isn't nearly the same as going "Baltimore to San Diego" like he originally was talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Fishmech's Bogus Journey

• Locked thread