Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

nutranurse posted:

I did 2 write-ups on Lux Invicta. I also maintain a copy of the SVN that I can send you a link for (in case you don't know how to use SVN/don't want to bother with it).

My most current game has been as the Wulfrist (Germanic Manichaen) and it's been a very stable game where I've gone from D.Bavaria->K.Bavaria. The Wulfrist religion gives you huge bonuses to your church tax so I've made their focus merchantile and have been earning over 300 gold/year with my past two kings! Not much conquest, because they've been content, kindly types, but man are my castles built the gently caress up. I'm waiting for an ambitious and zealous king to take the throne so I can swarm over Germania-proper.

Please LP this, it sounds amazingly interesting, and I don't think I could play it by myself cause I don't have all the expansions for CK2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

skipThings posted:

Please LP this, it sounds amazingly interesting, and I don't think I could play it by myself cause I don't have all the expansions for CK2.

I'm definitely gonna give it a go once they drop the official release with their map expansion.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

nutranurse posted:

I'm definitely gonna give it a go once they drop the official release with their map expansion.

Please do, and then post here to let us know. Your descriptions earlier sounded great, but I don't have the time to learn a whole new thing.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

nutranurse posted:

I did 2 write-ups on Lux Invicta. I also maintain a copy of the SVN that I can send you a link for (in case you don't know how to use SVN/don't want to bother with it).

My most current game has been as the Wulfrist (Germanic Manichaen) and it's been a very stable game where I've gone from D.Bavaria->K.Bavaria. The Wulfrist religion gives you huge bonuses to your church tax so I've made their focus merchantile and have been earning over 300 gold/year with my past two kings! Not much conquest, because they've been content, kindly types, but man are my castles built the gently caress up. I'm waiting for an ambitious and zealous king to take the throne so I can swarm over Germania-proper.

Could you PM me the link? I'd like to give Lux a go.

EDIT: Thanks nutranurse!

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 21, 2014

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Could you PM me the link? I'd like to give Lux a go.

EDIT: Thanks nutranurse!

Seconding this, I'd like a link to the latest build as well!

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Can anyone diagnose why my game crashes when I try to convert a CK2 save file? I'm so sad.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Is it just me or is playing the Karen Satrapy (ie Zoroastrian start) way easier with the India expansion? All my Muslim neighbors have been exhausting their armies with holy wars against India, and I'm about half way to reforming the Persian Empire.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

So what used to be my favorite tactic has become a huge pain in the rear end: Foreign interlopers declaring war on MY rebels.

So I started as Duke of Jylland in Denmark and ended up as King of England. I subjugate all of Mercia, then Wales, etc...

Two kings later, I'm ready for the inevitable revolts when the new King takes the throne. I'm flush with cash and troops and I'm loving ready.

Well, what happens is that I utterly crush the revolt but then have to loving go around to random counties in Ireland, Brittany, and DENMARK to wrest control of said random single counties from foreign powers who decided to declare on the rebels.

It was really annoying and drug out the civil war for a really long time. I was successful but still, what the gently caress. I wasn't allowed to end the civil war until no foreign powers held rebel holdings. After that, I ejected Jylland and let my character's uncle, brother of the first King of England, deal with poo poo himself.

Mugabe
Dec 4, 2012

I have died many times. I have actually beaten Jesus Christ because he only died once.
Holy gently caress yes on the SVN of LI, I've been meaning to try that mod forever now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So, question. If my ruler's culture changes from Welsh to Scottish, I know I'll have to rebuild my Longbow Ranges (ugghhh) which is annoying but manageable.

What happens to my Longbow Retinues though?

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Is it just me or is playing the Karen Satrapy (ie Zoroastrian start) way easier with the India expansion? All my Muslim neighbors have been exhausting their armies with holy wars against India, and I'm about half way to reforming the Persian Empire.

To be fair, I think the poor Zoroastrians could use the break.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Captain Oblivious posted:

So, question. If my ruler's culture changes from Welsh to Scottish, I know I'll have to rebuild my Longbow Ranges (ugghhh) which is annoying but manageable.

What happens to my Longbow Retinues though?

I believe you'll keep them, and they'll reinforce, but if it gets wiped out that's that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

catlord posted:

I believe you'll keep them, and they'll reinforce, but if it gets wiped out that's that.

Works for me. It'll only be one Scot then back to Welsh, so that shouldn't be a problem at all.

I opted to peacefully integrate Scotland through marriage into Britannia Prydain because I have no beef with the Scots they're cool :unsmith:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My retarded cousin finally inherited the HRE. He's still Catholic, while I'm post-mending Orthodox. I declared a holy war for a small Catholic county and he rushed to defend it. A week later, a random duke with a couple of counties usurps his title of HRE. :wtf: how is this even possible?

Oh gently caress it, it doesn't even matter. The idiot was in a matrilineal marriage anyways. Why must the AI be so godawful at self-preservation?

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 22, 2014

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
A install claimant faction settled without war maybe?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dongattack posted:

A install claimant faction settled without war maybe?

Hmm, that seems likely. I loaded a prior autosave as him and most of his vassals hate him, he doesn't have much money and his retinue is puny. His mom must have hated him to prepare him this terribly for rule.

I guess I might as well just claim the whole thing for myself and spare the effort of keeping some distant branch of my family in power there, then quit because managing most of the real former Roman empire is tedious.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 22, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man I've been having so many headaches managing Norway on its way to being the Scandinavian Empire. One of my relatives kept stirring up so much poo poo and just before I had him arrested he started up a huge rebellion which drew in a lot of my republic vassals for some reason. All the more money for me when I imprisoned them all after crushing the rebellion. Revoked a few titles and banished the pain in the rear end ringleader and had to set up another branch of the family in power.

Except after banishing, the ringleader now loves me. Is he going to stir up poo poo if allowed back in the kingdom?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Have you gotten 60,000 angry Seljuks yet?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Man raising a promising heir when your own stats are poo poo is torture. Either you strongly influence his traits but pass on bad stats or you find an actually good tutor that leaves his traits up to the capricious whims of the AI.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I'm pretty sure that the general consensus is the exact opposite of that. I guess it might be easier once you get started but you usually need an absolutely perfect start to get started at all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So lets say I'm a Christian or Muslim. Are there any direct personal benefits to holding a holy site? Or is it just the bonus to moral authority for the religion?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Gotdamn republics are insane. I did an Old Gods start and I've a permanent standing army of 8k troops with the option of hiring on pretty much any mercenary company I want semi-permanently if desired, all before 1000 AD. Tack on the fact that I can have any successor I want in exchange for galleons full of gold and somehow a modestly-sized Sicilian Republic can reliably nutpunch the Holy Roman Empire and the Byzantine Empire simultaneously.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

The Walking Dad posted:

Can anyone diagnose why my game crashes when I try to convert a CK2 save file? I'm so sad.

Are you sure its crashing and not just becoming unresponsive? How long have you left it running? Most likely its still converting and windows is just being annoying.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Shadeoses posted:

I've played 2 complete games since the newest patch, one from 867 and one from 1066, and no Seljuks/Mongols have appeared at all. I got the first message about the mongols but then nothing happened. Anyone else got this problem? I'm not using any mods.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

What crown laws should I enact in order to have a stable AI Norse empire?

I've been playing my first Norse game as Haraldr Fairhair, and within a few generations I've reformed the faith and conquered all of Scandinavia, Germany, and France down to the Seine. The only notable Catholic powers left are Aquitaine, Bavaria, and Italy. Catholic MA is completely shot to hell, so I've also got a Cathar Ireland, Lollard Scotland, and Waldensianism and Fraticellism (?) are growing like crazy in central Europe. Turns out, people don't have a lot of faith in the Catholic Church when Rome gets burned to the ground every few years and last few popes have spent most of their time chained to the wall in Copenhagen.

Basically, in a few years I want to switch to a Catholic (or whatever heresy that's sure to have supplanted it)and try to take down what I built. But I want it to be able to put up a fight. Right now it's on primogeniture, but I'm wondering if the AI is better at Elective, especially if the emperor holds all the kingdom titles himself. I'm running HIP, for what it's worth.

EDIT- sidenote: holy poo poo you do some hosed-up things as the Norse. Your moral compass gets compromised enough as a Christian, but Jesus, at least they aren't encouraged to keep kidnapped children in their dungeon just long enough to either be lynched as part of a holiday or become the emperor's rape-slave, depending on how smart they are/what they have claims to.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 22, 2014

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ninjahedgehog posted:

What crown laws should I enact in order to have a stable AI Norse empire?

I've been playing my first Norse game as Haraldr Fairhair, and within a few generations I've reformed the faith and conquered all of Scandinavia, Germany, and France down to the Seine. The only notable Catholic powers left are Aquitaine, Bavaria, and Italy. Catholic MA is completely shot to hell, so I've also got a Cathar Ireland, Lollard Scotland, and Waldensianism and Fraticellism (?) are growing like crazy in central Europe. Turns out, people don't have a lot of faith in the Catholic Church when Rome gets burned to the ground every few years and last few popes have spent most of their time chained to the wall in Copenhagen.

Basically, in a few years I want to switch to a Catholic (or whatever heresy that's sure to have supplanted it)and try to take down what I built. But I want it to be able to put up a fight. Right now it's on primogeniture, but I'm wondering if the AI is better at Elective, especially if the emperor holds all the kingdom titles himself. I'm running HIP, for what it's worth.

EDIT- sidenote: holy poo poo you do some hosed-up things as the Norse. Your moral compass gets compromised enough as a Christian, but Jesus, at least they aren't encouraged to keep kidnapped children in their dungeon just long enough to either be lynched as part of a holiday or become the emperor's rape-slave, depending on how smart they are/what they have claims to.

Rape is Might, Might is Right.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Welcome to a world called Crusader Kings II *whipcrack*

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

:getin:

I just hope he doesn't die in some dumb duel. :ohdear:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

nutranurse posted:

:getin:

I just hope he doesn't die in some dumb duel. :ohdear:

What mod are you running? I was really confused when I saw only the military trait where a character's full list of traits usually is.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

TjyvTompa posted:

I've played 2 complete games since the newest patch, one from 867 and one from 1066, and no Seljuks/Mongols have appeared at all. I got the first message about the mongols but then nothing happened. Anyone else got this problem? I'm not using any mods.

I've had the exact same problem, I haven't seen the Seljuks since Rajas came out.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
So I've finally decided to give some CK2 mods a try, but when I go to the paradoxplaza user modifications section, everything is private. My game is registered, so I have no idea how to access them. Is Lux Invicta available for download anywhere else?

When I try accessing the pages I get this error message:

"{username}, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Usually this is due to you not having the particular game registered on your forum account. For example to post in or download from the HOI3 Sub forums (AAR ,User made Modification, FAQ, Support ...), or to Start a new thread in the HOI3 discussion forum, you need to have HOI3 registered under your forum account. See this thread for How & Why to register your games
Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
Additionally, If you are a new member or changed your password, you may need to verify your e-mail by clicking on the link we e-mailed you. How to confirm your e-mail
If not, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

I also get the same message whenever I try to edit my profile, even though I'm already signed in.

Emanuel Collective fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 22, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Bort Bortles posted:

What mod are you running? I was really confused when I saw only the military trait where a character's full list of traits usually is.

That's Lux Invicta.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I think I remember that guy from Dr. Evil's meeting room in the first Austin Powers.

Also, from thinking about that screenshot, I wish there was a way to have multiple map fonts for contextual use. It could add some interesting flavour, and be helpful to the player in general. I'd probably suggest a font for each religion, and maybe a special German-looking font for the Holy Roman Empire and its vassals, because it's special; though that would probably be more useful in EU4.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 22, 2014

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Didn't they do that with HOI3? I'm sure I can remember there being faux-Cyrillic text for the USSR, but I've not played it for at least a year since I don't find it a particularly good game...

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
If I give a county and a duchy to a mayor to make a merchant republic vassal, does it make a difference how many baronies are in the county?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

stuntwaffle posted:

If I give a county and a duchy to a mayor to make a merchant republic vassal, does it make a difference how many baronies are in the county?

Not really, almost all of their income comes from trade posts and their mansion.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

TaurusTorus posted:

I've had the exact same problem, I haven't seen the Seljuks since Rajas came out.

Really? I just recently started playing a Khazaria game, going along and trying to create Israel -- my first ever attempt at a Jewish game actually! -- and sometime around the late 900s, the Seljuks come and wreck all my hard-won holdings in Persia. That really set me back for like 200 years! :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Last game I had, the Seljuks (and Aztecs) appeared on schedule, but there were no messages about the Mongols and they never showed up. This was kind of a shame because things over there got pretty settled and it would have been nice to see Byzantium actually face a threat.

e; Speaking of invasions, I wish the GoT team would just throw in some sort of Others invasion, I know we don't know much about them canonically but a total absence of any real threat from The North is kind of dopey.

fe; Speaking further of invasions, did you ever get The Hungry Ones sorted out, DrSunshine?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Shadeoses posted:

No, but my game did get considerably harder since that post. My rapid expansion left me open to a bunch of successive religious riots my current ruler spent about two decades quelling, followed by the Sunni Caliphate attempting a full scale invasion (mountainous terrain and white peace abuse saved my rear end on that one).

On the bright side, my constant holy warring caused the Sunnis a great deal of religious strife with heretics.

Amusingly, the Catholic World also went to poo poo without my help. Most of Europe is a patchwork of heresies and the Waldenesians hold the Vatican.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Mister Adequate posted:

fe; Speaking further of invasions, did you ever get The Hungry Ones sorted out, DrSunshine?

Nope, never. No matter what I did, it just would never spawn the doomstack like it should. I think I'll just scrap that part of the mod. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've united Norway and Sweden and am working on gobbling up the rest of Scandinavia. My vassals are doing me proud though, they're launching conquest wars everywhere and oh gosh a bunch of them just teamed up and are working on beating the hell out of Lothargia while the Karlings are busy eating each other alive. Great initiative guys! :allears:

• Locked thread