Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Taking an antacid won't hurt you. You probably also need to drink more water.

Didn't help.

My other worry is that this may have something to do with the 4 cups of coffee a day I drink. Last time I worked out my stomach started complaining and it had been ~5 hours since my last, but my brother had stomach problems from coffee (well, that and booze), so I'll try to lay off the mud next workout day and see if that helps. If not I guess it's time to see the doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Clanpot Shake posted:

Didn't help.

My other worry is that this may have something to do with the 4 cups of coffee a day I drink. Last time I worked out my stomach started complaining and it had been ~5 hours since my last, but my brother had stomach problems from coffee (well, that and booze), so I'll try to lay off the mud next workout day and see if that helps. If not I guess it's time to see the doctor.

Your issue sounds unregular. People feel nausea or throw up (watch a ski competition: every second one of them will fall down after the finish line and throw up stomach acids, to exaggerate just a bit) when they train or excert themselves over their limit, which is fun on occasion, but general stomach pains from vigorous exercise, and antacids don't help? That certainly isn't normal.

Sure, I get stomach issues too of I go on a drinking binge and gulp liters of coffee daily, but it isn't in any way connected with physical exercise.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I took an antacid after it flared up, not before. It settled things down a bit and I felt pretty normal after I cooled down. I'll try taking one beforehand to see if it prevents it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ligur posted:

I'm like it's no problem I can probably run along, just hit it girl, and off we went for the rest of the way
I perform better when I think attractive people are watching.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Had some upright grappling practice at kb practice today and my neck is murdered. What do you guys do for conditioning it? Do you condition it?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

General Emergency posted:

Had some upright grappling practice at kb practice today and my neck is murdered. What do you guys do for conditioning it? Do you condition it?

Neck bridges. Your neck also gets pretty strong just by grappling a lot. The tricky part is 'conditioning' your neck without straining it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

One thing you can do to help strengthen your neck. Lie on your back and lift your head off the ground turn it left and right for 30 seconds, move your ear to your shoulder left and right for 30 seconds then your chin to chest for 30 seconds, don't touch your head to the ground at all in between you'll be amazed at how much that sucks.

Bridging on your neck with your hands for support at first is good too.

I also stretch my neck before any type of grappling. I have a fairly thick neck now and it's harder to buy shirts that you wear a tie with without strangling myself.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
After a few hard sparring sessions I have a bunch of bruises on my face and people at work are commenting :gonk:

Do you guys know how to get rid of bruises (apart from turning my face into one giant bruise hurr)? Does ice work?

e> I really need to get headgear with the face bar

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Admirable Gusto posted:

After a few hard sparring sessions I have a bunch of bruises on my face and people at work are commenting :gonk:

Do you guys know how to get rid of bruises (apart from turning my face into one giant bruise hurr)? Does ice work?

Dude you definitely have the funds -- just shell out the $400 for the Winning.
On the first day of my last job, I had this weird blood spot pooled up beside my iris from a punch. No bruises, though, so I guess people could have thought it was congenital.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Admirable Gusto posted:

Witch Hazel works really well at minimizing bruises. Soak a cotton pad and rub it on a few times a day to help reduce bruising. Arnica gel can help, too, much in the same way. Anti-inflammatories (advil, ibuprofen, NOT Aspirin) can also help.

I also tend to ice right after I get popped and am bruising, and then follow up with heat on subsequent days.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Ice it as soon as possible. Won't make it disappear completely, but it'll reduce the severity of it.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
So I just found some footage of my first match at the 2014 Northwest Submission Challenge, where I eventually landed at silver in the 150lb bracket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfGwdnkOSM8
My opponent gave me his arm while trying to escape mount and I hit the rolling armbar. I'm a Judo ikkyu but it's been a while since I've done any standup. Wish I had rotated more on the lefty uchimata, but I guess the entry didn't feel as clean as it looks to me now.

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 19, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Move your head.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I don't think I have ever seen a block belt like that.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Wash your gi.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
crossface to flatten him out

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
shoot him, with a gun

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.

Syphilis Fish posted:

crossface to flatten him out

Yup, it was good advice. I try to avoid crossface at all costs but sometimes that backfires on me

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 21, 2014

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Any recs for a good boxing gym near the upper west side NYC? Alternatively: midtown, but that is not as good. Esp if I'm not interested in sparring.

Otherwise I'm going to the krav maga place ( http://www.ikmkravmaga.us/ ) which we all know is the worst.

e: i dont think so; apart from making me not so fat and weak

semicolonsrock fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 22, 2014

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Do people in this thread really believe karate, aikido, etc will actually help them in a street fight?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Do people in this thread really believe karate, aikido, etc will actually help them in a street fight?

Karate might if you've live trained, you might just punch someone in the chest, but if you drill them in the solar plexus you could drop 'em.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Why don't you try reading the thread (or even just the OP) and answer your own question?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

semicolonsrock posted:

Any recs for a good boxing gym near the upper west side NYC? Alternatively: midtown, but that is not as good. Esp if I'm not interested in sparring.

Otherwise I'm going to the krav maga place ( http://www.ikmkravmaga.us/ ) which we all know is the worst.

e: i dont think so; apart from making me not so fat and weak

Come train sambo with me. 36th and 8th, convenient to basically any west side subway line. World class instruction, awesome and friendly club atmosphere.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 22, 2014

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Why don't you try reading the thread (or even just the OP) and answer your own question?

The thread is 347 pages long, and its and Ask/Tell, the whole point is asking questions you dumb poo poo

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The thread is 347 pages long, and its and Ask/Tell, the whole point is asking questions you dumb poo poo

The point of the martial arts A/T thread isn't for people to come in and say "do you guys really think _____ will help you in a REAL fight". Try reading the OP if you want a better sense of what the thread thinks about different martial arts and 'practical' self defense.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 22, 2014

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The point of the martial arts A/T thread isn't for people to come in and say "do you guys really think _____ will help you in a REAL fight". Try reading the OP if you want a better sense of what the thread thinks about different martial arts and 'practical' self defense.

Why would you put practical in quotation marks? The OP seems to glorify Aikido, san shou, karate, etc

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Why would you put practical in quotation marks? The OP seems to glorify Aikido, san shou, karate, etc

Because there's a difference between being practical about self defense and training in 'practical self-defense', like combatives.

No idea why you would think the OP is glorifying those things, or why you'd even group them together. San shou is mentioned once, as a striking art. Aikido has a blurb from a guy who did aikido that basically amounts to "be humble and don't expect it to make you good at fighting".

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 22, 2014

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Obviously you need to learn kickboxing if you want to be the best street fighter.

Also martial arts are good for self defense because I get to outrun people.

Edit: Decided not to go to Ralph Gracie gym, its kinda far and I cant afford it right now. Gonna go see a BJJ gym in Alameda (Rio Combat Jiu-Jitsu) and a boxing (Lightning’s Boxing Club) in east Oakland.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 22, 2014

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
I did wrestling, which, in my opinion, is easily the best and most useful martial art

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

I did wrestling, which, in my opinion, is easily the best and most useful martial art

I think thats pretty fair and that few people would argue against it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

You know wrestling is fake, right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

San shou is mentioned once, as a striking art.

I'd say... if sambo is 70-30 grappling, then sanshou is 30-70 grappling.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Come train sambo with me. 36th and 8th, convenient to basically any west side subway line. World class instruction, awesome and friendly club atmosphere.

How would this go for a weak utter novice?

(I'll go anyways)
(e: wait sambo is mostly grappling? I'm a little more into striking :( )

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Once in a while people will show up with a sincere desire to learn where the death touch pressure point is or how to Segal a gun out of a mugger's hands, but mostly we talk about sport combat and training methods and tell people that krav maga has no quality control. It is okay to wonder.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Those arts are pretty useless compared to what I've learned from my sensei. He doesn't allow me to talk about it because his techniques are too lethal for anybody without the proper training. I've killed 6 muggers recently, but don't tell anybody, I could get in a lot of trouble

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

semicolonsrock posted:

How would this go for a weak utter novice?

(I'll go anyways)
(e: wait sambo is mostly grappling? I'm a little more into striking :( )

You're not expected to know anything or be in any kind of shape when you start.

We also offer striking, MMA, and combat sambo classes, but if you're sure you don't want to do any grappling then it's not the place for you. That said, if you're a novice, how do you even know what you're more into? Grappling has the advantage of letting you spar all the time with no ill effects, and you can actually compete at tournaments within a year or so.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Geno Petralli posted:

I've killed 6 muggers recently, but don't tell anybody, I could get in a lot of trouble

Let me get my notebook out.
Ok, now did these 6 muggers come at you one at a time, or all at once?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I'm not sure why Karate (which is a very broad term in both style and quality) would be considered similar to Aikido. I have never seen a karate dojo that doesn't train some version of live sparring. Sure it is mainly semi-contact but that is probably a good thing if you don't want to look like poo poo when you go into work. I have seen innumerable KOs in karate tournaments.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

So I got fitted for a top-end dental mouthguard and now I have a couple of days to decide what to write on it. A couple of people at my gym are putting tough guy stuff on theirs and it's kind of pathetic. I am thinking "gently caress ANIME" or maybe "BIEBER" or maybe "PLEASE DON'T HURT ME".

Apparently 6-8 letters is readable from a long way off but you can go longer if you're willing to sacrifice visibility range.

Explain to me what a "street fight" is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

So I got fitted for a top-end dental mouthguard and now I have a couple of days to decide what to write on it. A couple of people at my gym are putting tough guy stuff on theirs and it's kind of pathetic. I am thinking "gently caress ANIME" or maybe "BIEBER" or maybe "PLEASE DON'T HURT ME".

Apparently 6-8 letters is readable from a long way off but you can go longer if you're willing to sacrifice visibility range.

How about a nice friendly HELLO?

• Locked thread