Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Laranzu posted:

I've had a large amount of x86 and ARM registers jammed into my skull along with some basic assembly in the past day. The previous day was signed and unsigned integer operations in binary. Tomorrow will be something else entirely.

This could give people aneurysms.

or :awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DustyNuts posted:

Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico. I have to stop there every time I drive across the country. Sleep your way through all of Texas. Hit New Orleans if you have time. Large parts of the south are good for scenery on the drive. If you've never been to Norfolk, hang out in Ghent in the evenings.

Ghent is the only nice thing about Norfolk.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

not black enough posted:

So I'm driving from san diego to norfuck soon for a 4 months of school. Never made the trip before. Anyone have any suggestions/ tips? (like don't stop in Gary, Indiana)

My condolences on having to spend 4 months in Norfolk.

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

How much time are you taking to do the trip?

A week of travel time is what I'm alloting myself. Report NLT 10aug and leaving 3aug in the morning. Having a fun time sorting last minute stuff out since it was a last minute ordmod and I am not in san diego right now. Anyone know what the housing will be like while I'm over there? I'm only going there for school on my way to my next command back in san diego. (why the navy chose to send me across the country for some basic ET C schools is beyond me.)

not black enough fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 18, 2014

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

My condolences on having to spend 4 months in Norfolk.

Norfolk is actually pretty great if you actually take the time to get to know the area.

Are there lovely areas? Yes.

Are there great areas? Yes.

Most sailors are too concerned about bitching 24/7 to actually go out and experience the city or actually have some fun outside of a bar. So if you're dead set on hating norfolk and having a bad time then, I guess I can't change that. But if you're willing to explore and learn the city it certainly has a lot to offer.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Gunktacular posted:

Norfolk is actually pretty great if you actually take the time to get to know the area.

Are there lovely areas? Yes.

Are there great areas? Yes.

Most sailors are too concerned about bitching 24/7 to actually go out and experience the city or actually have some fun outside of a bar. So if you're dead set on hating norfolk and having a bad time then, I guess I can't change that. But if you're willing to explore and learn the city it certainly has a lot to offer.

Sorry for insulting your special snowflake of a city. Just so you know, I am very familiar with the place and it's not that great in my opinion, especially since the guy is coming from San Diego. But if you're dead set on thinking I don't like it because I'm too concerned about bitching 24/7 to experience the city or have fun outside of a bar then I guess I can't change that.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Gunktacular posted:

San Diego is actually pretty great if you actually take the time to get to know the area.

Are there lovely areas? Eh, a few, but nothing as bad as the Rust Belt or major East Coast Cities (or Norfolk, really)

Are there great areas? Yes, pretty much the whole western half of the county.

Most sailors are too concerned about slaying asian and latina college student pussy 24/7 to actually go out and experience the city or actually have some fun outside of enjoying perfect weather and local craft beer by the beach. So if you're dead set on hating san diego and having a bad time then, I guess I can't change that. But if you're willing to explore and learn the city it certainly has a lot to offer.

edit: I spent most of my career in SD and had to go to Norfolk for three weeks for a school - the place was just offensive after San Diego.

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 18, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I spent a few months shipwrecked in Portsmouth. If you're in Norfolk for a non-permanent stint and you're bothering looking for fun outside of a bar (or the beach) I don't know why you're in the Navy

Some good Mongolian BBQ joints too but that's about it

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Snowdens Secret posted:

I spent a few months shipwrecked in Portsmouth. If you're in Norfolk for a non-permanent stint and you're bothering looking for fun outside of a bar (or the beach) I don't know why you're in the Navy

Some good Mongolian BBQ joints too but that's about it

True, the Mongolian BBQ places in Norfolk were better than in San Diego but San Diego compensates by literally everything else about San Diego. Especially that in San Diego you have to try to find sailor joints whereas in Norfolk it's the reverse.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

bengy81 posted:

Huh, first time I have ever seen anybody bitch about getting a C-school, figures it would be a corpsman.

We don't quite get our C-schools out of choice, and if you had any plans about getting deployed with a Marine Division to get to do some trauma medicine it's all going out the window unless you're going to a surgical unit, then that can be interesting. Also if you had plans on making Chief, a C-school usually shits that plan all up unless they're a Recon corpsman or some other high speed NEC. Most NECs chillax at hospitals for the entire enlistment though, unless you get lucky and get picked to go on RIMPAC or something.

Largely we bitch because it's loving gay that we get sent to schools we don't want to go to, yet there's people picking orders with us that want to go there but the instructors won't let them grab it/switch, even if they're graduating just a few weeks apart.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

vulturesrow posted:

Just so you know, I am very familiar with the place and it's not that great in my opinion, especially since the guy is coming from San Diego.

I can't imagine Norfolk holding a candle to San Diego. I myself only went over there to buy a car 8 years ago but the 6 years I spent in San Diego cemented that place as pretty much one of the greatest cities you could spend time in.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Sorry for insulting your special snowflake of a city. Just so you know, I am very familiar with the place and it's not that great in my opinion, especially since the guy is coming from San Diego. But if you're dead set on thinking I don't like it because I'm too concerned about bitching 24/7 to experience the city or have fun outside of a bar then I guess I can't change that.

Nah, I didn't take it personally. And if you gave it a real shot and still didn't like it then that's fine. I just get frustrated with people who hate it just on principle alone.

I didn't mean to come off so harsh, everyone is looking for something different in a city.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

Ah JCAC. You're never going to remember everything, but the modules they give are still pretty good. Just try to filter every paragraph to a few key bullet points, it's not too often they drill you for nitty gritty details, but if something is written down it could be on the test. That's the one thing I liked about the JCAC tests, if I ever got a question wrong I could look up what it said in the module and see why. It's been 2 and a half years since I've done any of that stuff tho.

If you ever need help with something let me know, I loved learning that stuff.

Yeah its really not all that bad by the time you hit the test. Its just the firehose effect. We already lost two dudes who just couldn't filter through it.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.
I just spent the week on the Arlington and that poo poo is niiiiice...

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Plus, in San Diego you can cock block MCRD Drill Instructors at Down Town bars by telling the cute college girls they've been hitting on for the last hour exactly how much an E-5 makes.

At least thats what I like to do

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

Plus, in San Diego you can cock block MCRD Drill Instructors at Down Town bars by telling the cute college girls they've been hitting on for the last hour exactly how much an E-5 makes.

At least thats what I like to do

Might have to try this some time.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I remember our RDC in boot camp warning us preemptively about the dependapotamoses and such telling us bitches in San Diego have paygrade charts on their fridge

Heard they're getting rid of MCRD in 2016 or something. I know it's been there awhile but I'm surprised it's lasted this long considering that expensive real estate it's sitting on

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Christoff posted:

I remember our RDC in boot camp warning us preemptively about the dependapotamoses and such telling us bitches in San Diego have paygrade charts on their fridge

Heard they're getting rid of MCRD in 2016 or something. I know it's been there awhile but I'm surprised it's lasted this long considering that expensive real estate it's sitting on

Not gonna happen. Secretary of the Navy and the BRAC keep pointing out that it makes more sense to close Parris Island because it's high vulnerable to hurricanes and has worse infrastructure. It's just a thing Southern California politicians like to bring up to scare people in to voting for them so they'll keep it open

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh ok poking around on google it just says "might" be shut down. I remember seeing something saying it was closing down but was probably some Navy Times bullshit

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Christoff posted:

Oh ok poking around on google it just says "might" be shut down. I remember seeing something saying it was closing down but was probably some Navy Times bullshit

Yeah, it's just a shock value rumor. The only way I could see them shutting down MCRD-SD is if they moved it to Pendleton proper and took a huge payout from local developers to do it. And even then they'd be stuck with all of the admin buildings because they're all registered as protected sites with California and the feds

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Pendleton is god drat huge and tons of empty space I don't know why they don't already. Plus they come to Pendleton for training during boot camp I think.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Christoff posted:

Pendleton is god drat huge and tons of empty space I don't know why they don't already. Plus they come to Pendleton for training during boot camp I think.

Yeah, that's where you do all your shooting and the Crucible. TBH I've thought the same thing, but the advantage of having them separated is probably to keep LCpl's and other assholes from loving with the guys in bootcamp all the time

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Gunktacular posted:

Nah, I didn't take it personally. And if you gave it a real shot and still didn't like it then that's fine. I just get frustrated with people who hate it just on principle alone.

I didn't mean to come off so harsh, everyone is looking for something different in a city.

I really liked the sushi at Domo. Tropical Smoothie Cafe is an enjoyable chain to go to. If its still open, Joe and Mimas Italian in Newport News was great. Harbor cruises (both the fancy and tourist ones) are decent.

There, I said something good about Norfolk. gently caress Norfolk.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yeah, that's where you do all your shooting and the Crucible. TBH I've thought the same thing, but the advantage of having them separated is probably to keep LCpl's and other assholes from loving with the guys in bootcamp all the time

I don't know who designed the base but gently caress them. It can take upwards of 45 minutes of 40-60 mph driving to get somewhere. There's the main part of the base then 2 camps out in the middle of loving nowhere for infantry.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
how gay is this show the last ship

some dude on a boat called the deck to attention because ~CDR Handsome~ walked by and i almost choke slammed the dog out of ptsd

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

terrez posted:

how gay is this show the last ship

some dude on a boat called the deck to attention because ~CDR Handsome~ walked by and i almost choke slammed the dog out of ptsd

Calling attention on deck when the CO or other senior officer comes by if nothing else to clear the drat walkway is the norm on ships, not the exception.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Apparently video games and fishing are the best study habits to have. JCAC has it backwards.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
81% for 1820 :effortless:

Octopode posted:

As an IP getting ready for my in-zone look at just over 7 YCS, can confirm. RL life best life.

How is 7yrs YCS your in-zone look not below-zone? Don't we typically put on at like 9yrs 1mos average? Haven't looked at the community brief in a while.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 22, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Smaller ships have 0-5s as COs? Right? And you're ~supposed~ to call it for the CO and anyone of equal or above rank? Idk

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Christoff posted:

Smaller ships have 0-5s as COs? Right? And you're ~supposed~ to call it for the CO and anyone of equal or above rank? Idk

Yes, but not always. The XO is often an O-5 as well, and you don't call it for the XO. Usually it's O-6 and up.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Look if you don't see your CO and get the gently caress out of the way in the first place then I don't know what to tell you. Then again my CO was a 6'5 albino gorilla on a fast attack submarine.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

You'd call out "Gangway!" to get those shamming enlisted out of the way of a noble.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes, but not always. The XO is often an O-5 as well, and you don't call it for the XO. Usually it's O-6 and up.

In my experience, it's called for the CO (of whatever rank) and anyone above him in the chain - commodore, admiral, etc. But not for random O-6s.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

You always call it for the CO - he's the commanding officer. In the Army, they'll even call it for O-3/4s if they're commanding officers (company commanders). And you *always* call it for O-6 and above.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Stultus Maximus posted:

In my experience, it's called for the CO (of whatever rank) and anyone above him in the chain - commodore, admiral, etc. But not for random O-6s.

If your ship has a bunch of random O-6s on it, then of course you wouldn't call it for all of them. On a DDG or FFG where O-5 is the top, yeah you usually do anytime an O-6 actually is onboard.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The only exception I know of is at certain staff commands. At USFF O6's are pretty much universally gotten the gently caress out of the way for, but I've never seen attention called for one. That's usually reserved the admirals (and holy gently caress is there a lot of them).

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Boon posted:

The only exception I know of is at certain staff commands. At USFF O6's are pretty much universally gotten the gently caress out of the way for, but I've never seen attention called for one. That's usually reserved the admirals (and holy gently caress is there a lot of them).

Lots of larger commands (specifically staff commands or COCOM-level) are like this. When you're talking 4-star level poo poo, it rains O-6s and O-7s (a 4-star rates an O-5 flag aide...sometimes even an O-6 depending)... On a CRUDES/amphib? Not so much, so of course it's going to scale depending on where you're at.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

buttplug posted:

How is 7yrs YCS your in-zone look not below-zone? Don't we typically put on at like 9yrs 1mos average? Haven't looked at the community brief in a while.

I was fairly close to the top of the below-zoner lineal numbers for this year's look, and I'm only sitting at 6.5 or so right now. I'm in a weird place in my year group due to commissioning in December, but being placed in the next YG, which makes my zone timing a bit off compared to most. But, even if I'm selected at 7 YCS, I wouldn't pin it on until sometime around 8-8.75YCS (October of next year to September of '16), probably closer to the latter end, so it still ends up pretty close

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Octopode posted:

I was fairly close to the top of the below-zoner lineal numbers for this year's look, and I'm only sitting at 6.5 or so right now. I'm in a weird place in my year group due to commissioning in December, but being placed in the next YG, which makes my zone timing a bit off compared to most. But, even if I'm selected at 7 YCS, I wouldn't pin it on until sometime around 8-8.75YCS (October of next year to September of '16), probably closer to the latter end, so it still ends up pretty close

I wonder if I'm going to be in a similar situation? I commissioned out of OCS in Nov '09, but I am literally the senior-most IP in YG '10 because I commissioned 2 weeks after the new fiscal year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

If your ship has a bunch of random O-6s on it, then of course you wouldn't call it for all of them. On a DDG or FFG where O-5 is the top, yeah you usually do anytime an O-6 actually is onboard.

When I was on a small deck the only O-6s who bothered to show up were VIPs and I assume that's normal on shooters too?

• Locked thread