Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

More pictures of the Storm Wulf:

Lots of conversion potential here as a bunker, wall, storage crate, or piece of terrain

Oh gently caress I didn't even notice this, amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
All of this Stormwolf/Stormtooth stuff makes me really want a Fire Raptor. Maybe once I get more than ~300 points painted...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The Fire Raptor is the only FW model I kind of want to get, but I might be looking at the Nids stuff (or scratchbuilding a Mieotic Spore) and getting IA4.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Moola posted:

Oh gently caress I didn't even notice this, amazing!

I don't get the reference. What is it referencing?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hollismason posted:

I direct you to the post like 2 posts under the one that was referencing:

Post 9-11 User posted:

So, the Wolf glyphs are all optional, right?

Because the Wolffart whatever looks far more capable of carrying 5 Terminators for my Red River Army.

Jesus christ, best space game. Whoever gave you Hitler-sann and a giant wall of red text... do you want me to buy you a replacement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrW4jkQdmjI

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hollismason posted:

Resource collector in Homeworld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChRWSpodc3A&t=50s :(

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 21, 2014

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.
I don't know, I think the Stormwolf could look good if you used the fuselage and converted the rest. The stubby wings certainly don't help it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you throw another pair of engines onto the front, it might look ok, but why spend more money to fix something's probably going to cost 90 bucks out of the box? I'd probably just grab the assault ram for use as a proxy. It's a better model.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Ever buy a kit knowing full well you'll never use it, ever, because it's complete garbage? I sure did!

On the other hand it'll look good on a shelf, and I always told myself I'd paint a Dreadnought so I can cross that one off the list. The question is why the hell did I magnetise the arms on a display piece?

One day I'll figure out what to write on all the scrolls. :effort:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
venerable dreadnoughts aren't complete garbage, they're just kind of garbage

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Sykic posted:

Ever buy a kit knowing full well you'll never use it, ever, because it's complete garbage? I sure did!

On the other hand it'll look good on a shelf, and I always told myself I'd paint a Dreadnought so I can cross that one off the list. The question is why the hell did I magnetise the arms on a display piece?

One day I'll figure out what to write on all the scrolls. :effort:

One, that purple is loving swag-a-licious.

Two, magnetized arms? Run a Mortis dread with either missile launchers, or double autocannons. It'll pop-pop some flyers, probably.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Sykic posted:

gently caress drat, that's a good looking paintjob.

Assuming you put a heavy flamer on the arm it's a major threat when put in a Drop Pod. Is a Venerable kinda lousy since 6th/7th? Maybe, but it's more survivable than a regular Dread and with correct deployment you get to yell, "I WILL BURN YOU" as you threaten and/or destroy a whole flank with it.

Kind of like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44&t=94s

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Apologies for posting a lovely paintjob compared to that ballsout amazing paintjob above me, but this is the start of my SM/BA/BT chapter, Templars of Fury.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

venerable dreadnoughts aren't complete garbage, they're just kind of garbage

Given their two biggest weaknesses (Monsters and insta-killed by penetrates) are lessened in the new edition, and the venerable upgrade is much less risky against anything not AP1, it's not a bad buy.
Granted the gun versions are still better, but you can get away with stomping forward / out of a droppod.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Apologies for posting a lovely paintjob compared to that ballsout amazing paintjob above me, but this is the start of my SM/BA/BT chapter, Templars of Fury.

Ain't nothing wrong with these. Clean up the smudges on the white, drill the barrels on that assault cannon. What you have is a set of competently painted models, when you get better you can put fine detail on these and they'll shine.

I take it the Assault Marine is your latest model? Nice highlights as far as I can see. Also, resize and crop your photos, meng, 3000 pixels wide is kinda smarmy.

I use Irfanview because it's super light weight, starts up instantly, compresses/crops/resizes very fast and easy.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Ah, cool. Didn't know about Irfan. And no, the terminator would be my latest model, just finished him tonight. The highlights maybe a bit difficult to see because of my lovely lighting. I should probably have taken the pictures under our sunlight lightbulbs

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

Could anyone give me some advice on my first ever Tyranid list? I haven't played since like, early 5th so mind you I'm not confident in my purchases. I am also making do with what models I actually have, so please no suggestions to, idk, field and unbound list of 30 Carnifex or something.

quote:

HQ
Hive Tyrant - 165
Twin-linked devourer/w brainleech worms x 2 - 30
Hive Commander – 20
Wings - 35
Total: 250

Hive Tyrant - 165
Twin-linked devourer/w brainleech worms x 2 - 30
Wings - 35
Total: 230

ELITES
(3) Zoanthrope – 150
Total: 150

TROOPS
(3) Warrior Brood - 90
Barbed Strangler - 10
Total: 100

(20) Termagaunt Brood - 80
Devourer x 10 - 40
Total: 120

(20) Termagaunt Brood x 20 - 80
Devourer x 10 - 40

Devourer x 10 - 40

Devourer x 10 - 40

(20) Genestealers - 280
Brood Lord - 60
Total: 340

FAST ATTACK
(10) Gargoyles - 60
Total: 60

HEAVY SUPPORT
Trygon Prime – 230
Toxin Sacs - 10
Total: 240

Total Army Points: 1850

Not sure where to squeeze in 25 more points. I might cut that Genestealer unit in half and take a fourth unit of Gaunts.

edit: updated my army list! managed to trim it down to 1850 and squeeze in another unit.

Strength of Many fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 22, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Son you need to play yourself some Homeworld.

Only one of the best RTS of all time; and IMO has some of the best story telling of any game.

"...kharak is burning."

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Moola posted:

Son you need to play yourself some Homeworld.

Only one of the best RTS of all time; and IMO has some of the best story telling of any game.

"...kharak is burning."

Homeworld is best. I still have to complete the phrase "That's everything" with "seal the ports" in my mind.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I'm coming up on the last few finishing details on my Kill Bursta tank. Has anyone built one of these before? I'm looking to magnetize the dozer blade if I can, because that poo poo sticks out way too far to pack and travel with any safety. For reference, it's one of these guys:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Strength of Many posted:

Could anyone give me some advice on my first ever Tyranid list? I haven't played since like, early 5th so mind you I'm not confident in my purchases. I am also making do with what models I actually have, so please no suggestions to, idk, field and unbound list of 30 Carnifex or something.

Not sure where to squeeze in 25 more points. I might cut that Genestealer unit in half and take a fourth unit of Gaunts.

I would say drop the upgrades on the genestealers, you are paying WAY too much for something with a 5+ armor save.
What are you using hive commander for? If you are going to go that route with gaunts you should grab a full unit of 30 with ~20 devourers.
Drop most of the upgrades on your monsters to get a full unit of zoanthropes.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

LordAba posted:

I would say drop the upgrades on the genestealers, you are paying WAY too much for something with a 5+ armor save.
What are you using hive commander for? If you are going to go that route with gaunts you should grab a full unit of 30 with ~20 devourers.
Drop most of the upgrades on your monsters to get a full unit of zoanthropes.

Hmm, should I drop the Genestealer's upgrades or remove them entirely? I've got a little over 80 Gaunts I can field. I'm sure no one will mine if I proxy Zoanthropes with my Venomthropes, either.

I've had people telling me I should ditch the Warriors but I kind of like them, if they're going to be sitting in the back shooting and providing synapse.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Strength of Many posted:

HEAVY SUPPORT
Trygon Prime - 230
Acid Blood - 15
Adrenal Glands - 15
Regeneration - 30
Reaper of Obliterax - 45
Total: 335

:stonk: You don't want to run something like this, trygons are pretty great standard. For example, they already have fleet so don't bother with adrenal glands unless you really want furious charge for some reason. I guess it could combo with that Reaper for S8, but you shouldn't even be taking that thing. It's crazy expensive. If you want this guy to re-roll wounds, just take toxin sacs and leave it at that. You can always use a Smash attack if you really need the strength. Also, acid blood is awful and will rarely result in anything thanks to requiring a failed initiative test. Regeneration could be worth it, but it's pricy and adds up really quickly when you're running multiple monsters with it.

I'd trim this guy down to maybe toxin sacs and nothing else. That's down to 240 points which would save you 95 for a bunch of other models.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

:stonk: You don't want to run something like this, trygons are pretty great standard. For example, they already have fleet so don't bother with adrenal glands unless you really want furious charge for some reason. I guess it could combo with that Reaper for S8, but you shouldn't even be taking that thing. It's crazy expensive. If you want this guy to re-roll wounds, just take toxin sacs and leave it at that. You can always use a Smash attack if you really need the strength. Also, acid blood is awful and will rarely result in anything thanks to requiring a failed initiative test. Regeneration could be worth it, but it's pricy and adds up really quickly when you're running multiple monsters with it.

I'd trim this guy down to maybe toxin sacs and nothing else. That's down to 240 points which would save you 95 for a bunch of other models.

Gotcha. I still don't have a feel for the big guy and some places say run him shooty, some say melee, some say he's garbage and you should run Carnifex or Tyrannofex instead.. very hard to get a confident feel for anything in this codex!

Updated my army list.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

E: oops, wrong thread.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Karandras posted:

It is basically a rectangle. I wonder if they'll go full Dark Angels and it'll be essentially a Stormraven with a hull gun for 400pts or if it'll be playable aka Not-Dark Angels

Way to rekindle the retconned hatred between the Dark Angels and Space Wolves :v:

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Edit: The new Tyranid model from FW has some decent rules and isn't horribly priced. It’s eat rule is actually pretty beastly. It is similar to the old Red Terror rule where you just flat out eat a guy if you hit him (need one 6 to-hit instead of 4 hits). Bravo, FW. I retract my statement that its rules would be almost unusable and would be super overpriced.

I don't even mind the look of it honestly. It's just stupid that for all intents and purposes, it's a Jump MC that only moves 6" and it's base looks like it's at least a 4-5" circle (and MCs get Move Through Cover for free anyway) so there's two reasons why 'leaping' in the movement phase would literally do nothing. It's statline is good but the situational FNP does nothing to keep it alive in the 3-4 turns it's slogging across the board at a breakneck speed of 6+d6". Like another goon said earlier, at least a Trygon can deepstrike next to what it wants to kill so it only gets shot at for one turn before it hits stuff.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HiveCommander posted:

Way to rekindle the retconned hatred between the Dark Angels and Space Wolves :v:

I hope they have a rule that gives Dark Angels and Space Wolves in a challenge either hatred or preferred enemy.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

LordAba posted:

I hope they have a rule that gives Dark Angels and Space Wolves in a challenge either hatred or preferred enemy.

It'd be nice, but since GW threw out their own fluff (again) by making them super best friends and Battle-Brothers, I highly doubt it. The only 'fluffy' rules they've done recently are Orks punching more Orks and 'Nids eating themselves the moment their babysitter looks the other direction.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

HiveCommander posted:

It'd be nice, but since GW threw out their own fluff (again) by making them super best friends and Battle-Brothers, I highly doubt it. The only 'fluffy' rules they've done recently are Orks punching more Orks and 'Nids eating themselves the moment their babysitter looks the other direction.

The fluff wasn't thrown out, the allies chart was just streamlined. I guess GW didn't want to worry about the interplay of imperial factions. There was some weird stuff in 6th like Black Templars and Sisters of Battle hating each other.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

I wish Relic made the Ultramarines movie.

In any case, I am still learning how to do line highlights decently. My marines are all metallic silver. White highlights seem too bold, but toning the white down some seems to make said highlights invisible against the silver/grey. Any suggestions?

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I have a bunch of full already-painted armies (Orc, Necron, Salamadar Space Marine, Tau) that I bought 2006ish, but I never really played that much. I'm looking to sell them, but I don't remember enough to even identify the figures and vehicles. (There are some pretty sizable vehicles too.)
Would I be able to get help identifying them if I posted pictures/video here? I'm looking to sell them as they are just collecting dust right now. I live in Albuquerque if, on the off chance, someone live nearby and wants to help. There's over 100 if I remember correctly.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I'm coming up on the last few finishing details on my Kill Bursta tank. Has anyone built one of these before? I'm looking to magnetize the dozer blade if I can, because that poo poo sticks out way too far to pack and travel with any safety. For reference, it's one of these guys:

Looking at the pictures, you could do what I did with my vidicators- x2 big flat magnets on the mounting area at the hull and 2 on the ends of the dozer blade. A cool side effect is that the weight of the blade will sag it down on terrain, which makes it look like its actually being used.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Valicious posted:

I have a bunch of full already-painted armies (Orc, Necron, Salamadar Space Marine, Tau) that I bought 2006ish, but I never really played that much. I'm looking to sell them, but I don't remember enough to even identify the figures and vehicles. (There are some pretty sizable vehicles too.)
Would I be able to get help identifying them if I posted pictures/video here? I'm looking to sell them as they are just collecting dust right now. I live in Albuquerque if, on the off chance, someone live nearby and wants to help. There's over 100 if I remember correctly.

Yeah go ahead and post pictures, we'll help you out.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Valicious posted:

As best we can :)

BULBASAUR posted:

Looking at the pictures, you could do what I did with my vidicators- x2 big flat magnets on the mounting area at the hull and 2 on the ends of the dozer blade. A cool side effect is that the weight of the blade will sag it down on terrain, which makes it look like its actually being used.

Huh, I hadn't thought about that because I wanted to avoid scraping on the underside; but once I slap on a layer or three of matte, it should protect it well enough. Thanks!

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Valicious posted:

Post away. We will no doubt identify all your models and then strip your carcass.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

The Sex Cannon posted:

I finished my second Vendetta:

Surprise! It looks just like the other one!

All I have left to do to be ready for the NoVa Open is 2 Leman Russ MBTs and a Leman Russ Demolisher.

The decals came out better this time. Thanks for the advice, thread!

But srsly. Vendettas loving own.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

HiveCommander posted:

They're battle brothers in that they make better allies than the damned Eldar.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They're battle brothers in that they make better allies than the damned Eldar.

...yet Eldar are willing to bro-fist their outcast kin whom are responsible for making Slaanesh stronger by the day.
I miss the times where fluff reasons were a big contributing factor to different aspects of the game, such as Space Wolves hating the Inquisition and Black Templars refusing to fight alongside any non-Grey Knight psykers because they're not pure enough.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
It has already been said that the rulebook allies matrix has been streamlined to make it easier.

If you don't want they to ally then don't ally them. But there are plenty of situations where Eldar of both types will work with each other to spit on a bunch of mortal apes. It allows the many people who want to do it the pathway, and it makes sense anyway.

They also removed the worst part of the 'come the apocalypse' barrier as well, since awesome Count-as people like Buffalo Chicken can make amazing conversions. Oh, and 40k basically is already the apocalypse so I guess the chaos daemons fight the tryanids in a battle that happens to include some Imperial guard, wha'daya know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

What is Helfrost even good against? Why multi wound models have low S? I guess eat poo poo battlesuits?

• Locked thread