Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Throatwarbler posted:

I never get tired of pointing out to Anglos that if you use the measurement of GDP per-working age adult, Japan has actually been growing faster in the last 20 years than either the US or the Eurozone.

...Because more people are retiring than entering the workforce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cowofwar posted:

Elder care: Ontario style: http://ww2.nationalpost.com/m/wp/bl...-since-november

Couple cases of this over the years. Demented parents being kept in closets while being fed cat food.

And 68 is hardly elderly too :(

I've been in and out of most of the long-term care homes in Ottawa and they range from "opulent resort" to "basically prison". You do not want to be on your way in to the system with only CPP/OAS covering your accommodation expenses.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
To those of you with elderly parents or elderly family sitting on millions of dollars of real estate: why haven't you been begging your shithead relatives to sell?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It's worth noting that there's a vast swathe of Canadians who do not have a CPP that will pay out more than a few dozen dollars a month, who did not win the housing lottery, and who's children are barely scraping by themselves. We are in for some dark poo poo if the economy keeps on its current track.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

It's worth noting that there's a vast swathe of Canadians who do not have a CPP that will pay out more than a few dozen dollars a month, who did not win the housing lottery, and who's children are barely scraping by themselves. We are in for some dark poo poo if the economy keeps on its current track.

It's interesting we're all bringing up Japan's lost decade as a reference to dealing with massively deflating asset-price-bubbles because I get a really uncomfortable feeling that someone here is soon going to start saying that it won't be that bad because deflation is just a sign that the economy is recovering. Let's not make the terrible mistake of thinking that Canada has an advanced, diversified, modern economy. It's an unequivocal fact that Canada would currently be in a full scale recession if loving Alberta wasn't propping up the entire country in terms of economic output.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Cultural Imperial posted:

It's interesting we're all bringing up Japan's lost decade as a reference to dealing with massively deflating asset-price-bubbles because I get a really uncomfortable feeling that someone here is soon going to start saying that it won't be that bad because deflation is just a sign that the economy is recovering. Let's not make the terrible mistake of thinking that Canada has an advanced, diversified, modern economy. It's an unequivocal fact that Canada would currently be in a full scale recession if loving Alberta wasn't propping up the entire country in terms of economic output.

There's some questionable economics comprehension in D&D on occasion, but who'd go so far as to suggest that deflation implies recovery? That seems a stretch, even by the most tortured logic I've read here.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

There's some questionable economics comprehension in D&D on occasion, but who'd go so far as to suggest that deflation implies recovery? That seems a stretch, even by the most tortured logic I've read here.

A slight amount of inflation is ideal, Japan is the other extreme in which there's so much deflation it weighs the economy down.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

This guy: http://goo.gl/0vZCPM

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Baronjutter posted:

Senior's care, specially if they actually need lots of direct care, is really really loving expensive. Like "it will blow through their pension, house sale, and all their other assets and end up costing their kids money" expensive. Specially since we have better and better ways of keeping people alive for longer.

Just pass a huge tax on the young (who do not vote) to pay for the elderly (who do vote) and whatever lifestyle they feel entitled to.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

etalian posted:

A slight amount of inflation is ideal, Japan is the other extreme in which there's so much deflation it weighs the economy down.

Well, as Throatwarbler has pointed, gdp per working adult did increase in Japan's second lost decade.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

on the left posted:

Just pass a huge tax on the young (who do not vote) to pay for the elderly (who do vote) and whatever lifestyle they feel entitled to.

If you package a youth tax with a weed legalization bill it would gurantee an instant win with 80% participation.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Well, as Throatwarbler has pointed, gdp per working adult did increase in Japan's second lost decade.

Yeah plus I would argue that the real measure is whether or not everyone is eating catfood.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

on the left posted:

This is something I actually believe may happen. Part of me thinks that being responsible and saving is just asking for my assets to be confiscated once this house of cards comes down.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Why do your in-laws need to bear the cost? Is her pension and savings not sufficient for it?

Not for more than a year or two, I don't think. Her house, which over the years has come to have a few maintenance issues, is not worth much, and with the added costs she will be dipping into her savings substantially every month.

They tried to get her to move down to Victoria and move in with them, but it didn't end up working out, and anti-renting biases are so engrained in her generation that she outright refused to rent, despite the fact that that's effectively what she's going to be forced to do now (guess she wanted to build her equity!!!).

Keep in mind this is for a single person; if my wife's grandpa were still alive, I think it would be totally untenable to put them into a care facility.

Edit: To elaborate on this a bit more, I think this is not an uncommon situation on Vancouver Island. Because there are more jobs in Victoria but real estate is cheaper on the rest of the island, many people stay in Victoria until they retire and then sell their house and move out of the city. They spend any money they made selling their house enjoying retired life and then when it comes time to find them home care, they usually have to move closer to their children, who again usually live someplace where real estate is more expensive, and their house is worth substantially less than the cost of supporting them for more than a couple of years.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 22, 2014

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MeinPanzer posted:

They tried to get her to move down to Victoria and move in with them, but it didn't end up working out, and anti-renting biases are so engrained in her generation that she outright refused to rent, despite the fact that that's effectively what she's going to be forced to do now (guess she wanted to build her equity!!!).

Keep in mind this is for a single person; if my wife's grandpa were still alive, I think it would be totally untenable to put them into a care facility.

Yeah, this my experience with both my grandparents and my parents. The best I think I will be able to talk my mother into, is only buying a small condo when they downsize.

It doesn't help that a lot of the assisted living places are stratas, so even if you don't want to buy, you don't have a lot of options. I think that is just them knowing their customers though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah even my entire parent's generation think renting = failure. My parents keep talking about selling their ridiculously big house early, downsizing, and giving me like 100k so I can buy something because I think they're guilty and embarrassed that I'm married yet renting. I mean I'll take 100k but I won't use it to buy something, not in Victoria, not in this market. I'll probably need that 100k in a couple decades to afford the senior's care they'll need anyways. Their parents are even worse. If you don't own a house you're nothing, you have nothing. It goes way beyond "pride of ownership" into some deep deep class or cultural thing I don't quite understand but basically "anglos are hosed up on housing".

I of course tell my parents to sell now, get like 700-800k, invest that for their later retirement (they're just starting now) and rent some cute little house somewhere.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah even my entire parent's generation think renting = failure. My parents keep talking about selling their ridiculously big house early, downsizing, and giving me like 100k so I can buy something because I think they're guilty and embarrassed that I'm married yet renting. I mean I'll take 100k but I won't use it to buy something, not in Victoria, not in this market. I'll probably need that 100k in a couple decades to afford the senior's care they'll need anyways. Their parents are even worse. If you don't own a house you're nothing, you have nothing. It goes way beyond "pride of ownership" into some deep deep class or cultural thing I don't quite understand but basically "anglos are hosed up on housing".

I of course tell my parents to sell now, get like 700-800k, invest that for their later retirement (they're just starting now) and rent some cute little house somewhere.

With your grandparents, the key difference is that a mortgage was likely the only debt they ever had .

There is nothing wrong with owning when it is affordable and you run your poo poo well. Every immigrant to Canada I've ever known who is over the age of 70 paid cash for things throughout their life, kept a credit card maybe for emergencies only, and certainly did not go nuts leveraging the equity in their house into more debt.

The whole "you're a failure if you rent" attitude is just someone's opinion - who cares.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Well I care about that attitude because it's causing a lot of people to make extremely stupid financial decisions.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Well I care about that attitude because it's causing a lot of people to make extremely stupid financial decisions.

gently caress 'em. Pay no heed to the financial geniuses that our nation is apparently full of. You can't reason someone out of a point of view that they weren't reasoned into.

Focus on your own finances, invest the consumer surplus from renting, and enjoy that rarest of Canadian existence: life without crushing mortgage debt.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe we need to make them watch after school specials about the dangers of peer pressure.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

YOU'RE RICHER THAN U THINK LOL

http://www.environicsanalytics.ca/footer-menu/news/2013/07/26/wealthscapes-2013-reveals-rising-fortunes-among-canadians

This is awesome. Salaries aren't going up. Employment is going down but Vancouverites are all getting richer!!!

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Honestly that graph is not particularly illuminating of a problem. Even if the bubble had never occurred you would have still been getting a ~250K mortgage across most of Vancouver, Burnaby and North Vancouver.

In fact that is positively glowing with the situation in East Van, as it seems to show way less of a debt problem than I would have expected. Old folks with paid off homes bringing down the average maybe???

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
That's the downtown east side.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That's the downtown east side.

No, I am talking about the debt levels in east van. Sub $250K debt levels is way less than I would have expected.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

At least Stanley Park is enjoying low levels of debt.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronjutter posted:

At least Stanley Park is enjoying low levels of debt.

YVR would like them stop rubbing it in.

That would be a better joke except there is a small subdivision on that island. What is a good joke though, is the residents took on that much debt in order to live literally at the end of a runway of a busy international airport.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ocrumsprug posted:

YVR would like them stop rubbing it in.

That would be a better joke except there is a small subdivision on that island. What is a good joke though, is the residents took on that much debt in order to live literally at the end of a runway of a busy international airport.

Please tell me they complain about the noise :allears:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FrozenVent posted:

We're having a big poo poo-show in Calgary about that, ever since the new runway opened up. Like, did these people just assume that the international airport of a major city would just stay the same size forever? I mean, when it was originally built, it was practically in the middle of nowhere. It's not the airport's fault that Calgary's appetite for lovely, far-flung suburbs knows no boundaries.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FrozenVent posted:

Of course they do.

What sort of world do you think we live in?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Please tell me they also complain about the price of plane tickets.

I love these people.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Lol, look at where this house is on a map. $400k, my loving god. :stare:

http://www.royallepage.ca/en/property/british-columbia/devine/9637-devine-st/2162887/mlsv1074202/#.U8_fvvldV8E

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

ocrumsprug posted:

Of course they do.

What sort of world do you think we live in?

Molson Indy Vancouver, never forget.

I'm not crazy about burning dinosaurs as a spectator sport, but the circumstances around the cancellation of that event tells you everything you need to know about Vancouver.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lexicon posted:

Molson Indy Vancouver, never forget.

I'm not crazy about burning dinosaurs as a spectator sport, but the circumstances around the cancellation of that event tells you everything you need to know about Vancouver.

I went to it once as a kid, wasn't it all in a sort of industrial area with no residents impacted? Or I guess that area probably has more and more condos and things in it now?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I went to it once as a kid, wasn't it all in a sort of industrial area with no residents impacted? Or I guess that area probably has more and more condos and things in it now?

The track was in the Science World* neck of the woods. There are a bunch of condos and stuff around there, but so loving what. It was one weekend out of the year, during the day, in a city generally regarded as utterly bereft of events. It was the height of summer - everyone should've be out of their boxes in the sky anyway, and anyone who really, really hated it could easily have gone out of town.

* Remember that time when Telus tried to persuade us this was to be renamed the Telusphere? :lol:

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
^ Yeah, the response to the Molson Indy and the Parade of Lost Souls is really indicative of Vancouver's soul.

Burn it with fire.

e: corrected event name

Rural property in the coastal mountains. Check.
Backs onto a rail line. Check.
A couple of (organic) fruit trees on the property. Check.

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 23, 2014

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It's so "rural" that it was used as a Japanese internment camp during WWII. :v:

Who's bitching about the Parade of Lost Souls now? Edit: Oh wow, it's contained to a school playing field now? What the gently caress, that's garbage.

Rime fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 23, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Well at least we now have the food truck festival

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

Who gives a flying gently caress where it is? The grand prix track in Monaco goes right by all sorts of rich people's places and hotels, and it's a beloved, iconic event they'd never consider cancelling. If there were a Calgary street circuit race for any competition, I'd love it if it went by my building (never mind this area would make a horribly boring circuit...)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People make tons of money if their place is on or near an F1 street track because they'll just go on vacation and rent their place out for huge bucks every year. They get to avoid the noise and crowds (if they don't like it) and someone who loves it is willing to pay them to go on vacation.

Could people not have done that in Vancouver or would all our horrible anti-renting bullshit come into force?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Well at least we now have the food truck festival

Is that the same food truck scheme where the vendors are all carefully chosen by a City committee to ensure healthiness, diversity of cuisine, and presumably the full suite of organic|local|free-run|free-trade, etc? As opposed to just issuing licenses and inspecting for health-code violations like a normal place would do?

Oh, Vancouver.