Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I hope Dazzler's midlife crisis doesn't last too long. If it's only one issue and they manage to throw in a Spider-man 3 reference, it'll be genius.
While Uncanny moves glacially, Magneto continues to be great as a Mutant-Punisher comic (though I hope Bunn knows he can drop the "my poooowerssss" thing at the nearest logical point 'cause Uncanny establishes that Mags has at least some contact with Cyke's X-Men from time to time) and I still am really enjoying X-Factor. Though I'll be pissed if Gambit gets dropped from the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
So, Wolverine is spending a couple issues with the new Ms. Marvel. Is he just incapable of staying away from teenage girls, or what? It seems like all he ever does is round up high school females to "mentor."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's partially the fact that his mentor schtick has been going on since Kitty Pryde, and also a naked attempt to boost sales on a fledgling new character. It's almost tradition that you'll see a Batman/Spider-Man/Wolverine crossover within your first year if you're a new character at Marvel/DC.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

MY ABACUS! posted:

So, Wolverine is spending a couple issues with the new Ms. Marvel. Is he just incapable of staying away from teenage girls, or what? It seems like all he ever does is round up high school females to "mentor."

I don't think he was prowling around thinking to himself, "the best place to meet women is in the sewers under Jersey City."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Every single 100th so far has been entirely skippable.

Yeah but at least they were mildly enjoyable. The X-Men one was outright bad. Very bad.

e: Just so everyone else doesn't have to make a terrible mistake and look into the book, it takes the What If AvX route of instead of anything interesting happening, Jean loving Grey comes out of nowhere and just wipes the plot away into her and Cyclops getting hitched.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 17, 2014

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Archyduke posted:

I don't think he was prowling around thinking to himself, "the best place to meet women is in the sewers under Jersey City."

I dunno, the kind of women Wolverine goes for it might be. You don't find cyborg ninjas shopping for fair trade coffee at Trader Joe's.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'd pay for an entire issue that's just Wolverine, in full costume, shopping at Trader Joe's.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

MY ABACUS! posted:

I'm pretty sure he hates his crappy life and just wishes he could be a little girl somewhere. The d hasn't really been a friend to him over the years, you know?

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

HorseRenoir posted:

Man, this week's Uncanny X-Men was a big fat load of nothing. Aside from the fact that the hyped-up "groundshaking revelation" doesn't even appear in the issue, that scene of Dazzler turning into a 90's goth chick was so laughably bad. I can practically imagine the nu-metal playing in the background.

Looks like someone actually hated the new Dazzler enough to make a live-action music video starring 80s Alison:

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/07/marvels-mutant-pop-star-dazzler-gets-a-fan-made-music-video/

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

mind the walrus posted:

I'd pay for an entire issue that's just Wolverine, in full costume, shopping at Trader Joe's.

I'm reminded of Wolverine: In the Flesh, the one-shot where he teams up with Chris Cosentino for some reason.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Reading all of Wolverine: First Class in one sitting did convince me that Wolverine is really great when he's mentoring kids. It's one of those ideas that shouldn't work on paper, but it does.

Also, this: http://comicsalliance.com/wolverine-x-men-mentor-sidekicks-kitty-pryde-jubilee-ask-chris-181/

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

CharlestheHammer posted:

I will be interested in how exactly they are going to end the schism.
Scott will form the James Howlett School For Gifted Youngsters.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Archyduke posted:

I'm reminded of Wolverine: In the Flesh, the one-shot where he teams up with Chris Cosentino for some reason.

Think of how many men and things like men that Wolverine has stabbed with those claws. Ew ew ew ew.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

Think of how many men and things like men that Wolverine has stabbed with those claws. Ew ew ew ew.

He basically is stabbing himself every time he pops them. Hope he sterilized them before he started cooking.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Schneider Heim posted:

Reading all of Wolverine: First Class in one sitting did convince me that Wolverine is really great when he's mentoring kids. It's one of those ideas that shouldn't work on paper, but it does.

Also, this: http://comicsalliance.com/wolverine-x-men-mentor-sidekicks-kitty-pryde-jubilee-ask-chris-181/

Just do not get in his way when he is watching hockey. That is Logan time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

He basically is stabbing himself every time he pops them. Hope he sterilized them before he started cooking.

It's fine. He has a healing factor, his blood is sterile.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's fine. He has a healing factor, his blood is sterile.

You can't get AIDS from mutants.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm kind of amazed at how bad the 100th Anniversary issue was. While the other ones haven't been amazing, I still think it's an amusing concept with promise and a few cool ideas. Even the X-Men issue had a great idea for what the writer thinks X-Men continuity would be like when comics are being written in the 2040's. Mutants are still hated, but not quite as badly, to the point that Scott Summers can get elected president. That's not bad. You can do a lot with this take, especially because it's a non-canon one-shot.

So what do they do? Make it into One More Day: X-Men Edition. One More Day was a bad comic that existed because what was canon no longer seemed workable to the guy in charge. It was an editorial decision based on real life misgivings. With a whole reality to play with in a one-shot that doesn't affect anything, the writer decided that this President Summers status quo isn't viable so they have to do a reboot to rubberband everything back the way things used to be with Jean suddenly alive and married to Scott.

It's both terrible and at the same time a brilliant meta commentary.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
What I liked about the Spider-Man one was it wasn't a #1. I like being dropped into the middle of a story where the situation is totally different than what I'm used to, for something like this at lest. X-Men did this to a degree but it felt like it was setting a ton of poo poo up that obviously is never gonna be followed up on. Also haha at the idea that the kids from the current Uncanny run would be aged up and major characters in 25 years or however long it is til the real 100th anniversary.
The end was a huge disappointment. Womp womp, here's the legacy of Jean Grey here to poo poo on presumed years of character development again.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be fair, it was a very accurate x-comic in that respect.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Diet Poison posted:

Also haha at the idea that the kids from the current Uncanny run would be aged up and major characters in 25 years or however long it is til the real 100th anniversary.

I'm still waiting for Elixir and Surge to be in the spotlight again.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gavok posted:

I'm kind of amazed at how bad the 100th Anniversary issue was. While the other ones haven't been amazing, I still think it's an amusing concept with promise and a few cool ideas. Even the X-Men issue had a great idea for what the writer thinks X-Men continuity would be like when comics are being written in the 2040's. Mutants are still hated, but not quite as badly, to the point that Scott Summers can get elected president. That's not bad. You can do a lot with this take, especially because it's a non-canon one-shot.

So what do they do? Make it into One More Day: X-Men Edition. One More Day was a bad comic that existed because what was canon no longer seemed workable to the guy in charge. It was an editorial decision based on real life misgivings. With a whole reality to play with in a one-shot that doesn't affect anything, the writer decided that this President Summers status quo isn't viable so they have to do a reboot to rubberband everything back the way things used to be with Jean suddenly alive and married to Scott.

It's both terrible and at the same time a brilliant meta commentary.

Me too.

I looked at the cover and the blurb, and I thought "Scott marrying Emma. Maybe they will riff on the classic Scott marries Jean comic. Make it a weepie, emotional comic with a happy ending."

Well I was right about it being weepie, since what I've heard has made me cry. Only instead of it showing Emma and Scott get a happy ending together, no it's Jean Grey coming back BECAUSE SHE IS THE LOVE!

The Spider-Man 100th Anniversary wasn't great, but I overall groked what they were going for in a "you are literally coming into a story 300 issues hence."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Scott doesn't even have to marry Jean again, they never got divorced.

And you know he never filed the proper papers.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's actually pretty amazing how much I love Scott as a character even though he's such a massive wanker to his girlfriends who aren't named "Jean."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Even to Jean if going by Morrison's run.

Poor guy can't catch a break.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Eh, I love Scott dearly but he epitomizes that song "Just" by Radiohead when it comes to his lovelife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_qMagfZtv8

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Scott doesn't even have to marry Jean again, they never got divorced.

And you know he never filed the proper papers.

I like how in the cartoon, the season two finale has them getting married, except they weren't really married, because they were actually married by Morph in disguise as a clergyman, as part of Mr Sinister's master plan.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I don't know if Emma was ever marriage material for anyone. She's not exactly the type. She's probably banged half the B-team by now.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Uh,,, I always got the distinct impression that she played up the whole "classy skank" act because it suited her, not because she actually was schtupping everyone in sight. I could be wrong though.

And she's totally marriage material for Scott. She's one of the only people who could possibly put up with his Jean-complex and come out the other side with her self-esteem intact.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"Emma? Baby? Can you do that thing again tonight?"

"The thing where I psychically coerce you into believing that I'm your dead wife while we have carnal relations?"

"... Yeah."

"Ugh. Make it quick."

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
There's going to be a scene in the next issue where he peeps on her and notices a gold ball falling out of her butt hole.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think maybe you're mixing up your time browsing r34 with stuff actually implied in the comics, dude. And it's weird.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

MY ABACUS! posted:

There's going to be a scene in the next issue where he peeps on her and notices a gold ball falling out of her butt hole.

I'm not even CLOSE to knowing what you're going for with this.

EDIT:
Oh right, Gold Balls! That guy is a legend!

Unmature fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 22, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's a schlubby, mostly useless new mutant on Scott's team who literally just creates gold balls out of thin air. He's implying that Emma is so slutty she not only slept with him, she used his power for anal play.

I'm really not sure where you're getting the whole "Emma is a slut" thing. It's really never been implied in any X-book I've ever read-- she's always been just a bitch who liked to show her tits off.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

At the Hellfire Club Emma would use her powers to let people think she was sleeping with them. But it's always been an act.

After joining up with the X-Men, she was entirely faithful to Scott until the Phoenix thing, and that wasn't physical. They still have something between them, clearly, like when she got upset about Tempus saying how attractive Scott is.

But yeah, her look and attitude is just for show.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Codependent Poster posted:

At the Hellfire Club Emma would use her powers to let people think she was sleeping with them. But it's always been an act.

She also did that in First Class, which, despite the otherwise good quality of the movie, was the only remotely Emma Frost-like moment for her in that film.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

There's a schlubby, mostly useless new mutant on Scott's team who literally just creates gold balls out of thin air. He's implying that Emma is so slutty she not only slept with him, she used his power for anal play.

I'm really not sure where you're getting the whole "Emma is a slut" thing. It's really never been implied in any X-book I've ever read-- she's always been just a bitch who liked to show her tits off.

Well she did pay a lot for them.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
She's slept with at least Tony and Namor according to random Dark Reign books... She probably did Sebastion Shaw and Magneto too... but probably not Pierce or Leland.

Edit: I just realized waterhaul is probably going to shut this discussion down.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shawn posted:

She's slept with at least Tony and Namor according to random Dark Reign books... She probably did Sebastion Shaw and Magneto too... but probably not Pierce or Leland.

Edit: I just realized waterhaul is probably going to shut this discussion down.

I don't see why when it's an established part of her character. Emma used to sleep around. It's in the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Emma a very attractive woman in her what early 30s? Has maybe slept with a half dozen extremely successful and attractive, nigh demi-gods, before the start of her stable long term relationship, this makes her a slut?

You guys got some issues.

• Locked thread