Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

effectual posted:

No, it just poisons the Columbia river and the fish in it we eat.
Again, Hanford is not a nuclear power plant; it was a nuclear research facility used during the Manhattan Project.

The only water pollution you get from modern nuclear facilities is thermal, a.k.a "hot water," which--while it's nothing to ignore--doesn't even begin to hold a candle to the kinds of problems that are caused by coal power plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

effectual posted:

Are we still talking about the Columbia Generating Station here? Because warming up water doesn't poison anything.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

Are we still talking about the Columbia Generating Station here? Because warming up water doesn't poison anything.

It actually does kill some fish and other aquatic lifeforms.

Again, though, in comparison to what ends up in there from coal power...

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

effectual posted:

Doubt the guy will win anyway, anyone that populist on the eastside has a snowballs chance in hell.

He is running in Snohomish County which is not in Eastern Washington.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Thanatosian posted:

It actually does kill some fish and other aquatic lifeforms. Again, though, in comparison to what ends up in there from coal power...

At higher temperatures it can affect nearby lifeforms, (and even kill them, though of course that's why there's state and federal limits on the exhaust temperatures) but it still isn't poisoning them. There's no concern that it's going to unbalance the ecology, make the fish unhealthy to eat, or effect persistent environmental damage. I mean we're talking about raising the water temperature by 20-30 degrees here - it's not even lukewarm. The highest level I've ever read about was around 100 degrees, and that was during the hottest week of July in Miami, when the water was about 80 degrees.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 21, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I agree that it's really frustrating when candidates make ill-informed pop environmentalism a part of their platform. It lets you know a lot more than their views; it tells you that they don't know how the levers of power work and are therefore a worthless candidate. If you're concerned with water quality you should adopt Environment Washington's platform pretty much in its entirety (annoying serf canvassers aside) because they actually have, you know, research and a plan and stuff.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kaal posted:

At hotter temperatures it can affect nearby lifeforms, (and even kill them, though of course that's why there's state and federal limits on the exhaust temperatures) but it still isn't poisoning them. There's no concern that it's going to unbalance the ecology, make the fish unhealthy to eat, or effect persistent environmental damage. I mean we're talking about raising the water temperature by 20-30 degrees here - it's not even lukewarm.

Warm water discharge can disrupt fish migratory patterns.

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2402331?uid=3739856&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21104367711517

Kaal
May 22, 2002

So can the dirt and silting from constructing a bridge. And sometimes we'll even modify or abandon bridge projects because of it, but we don't say that bridges poison fish.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

At hotter temperatures it can affect nearby lifeforms, (and even kill them, though of course that's why there's state and federal limits on the exhaust temperatures) but it still isn't poisoning them. There's no concern that it's going to unbalance the ecology, make the fish unhealthy to eat, or effect persistent environmental damage. I mean we're talking about raising the water temperature by 20-30 degrees here - it's not even lukewarm.

Listen, I just don't see why we can't replace our nuclear power plants with their horrible hot water pollution with something cleaner and viable at the magnitude that we require. Why not unicorn power? A single unicorn can supply enough power for all of Western Washington, and the only byproducts are lollipops and candy canes.

Oh, wait, with the excess candy, we'd need to start fluoridating the water; nevermind.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
If we're talking about the health of the fish themselves, I'd just like to point out that their biggest threat would be the hydroelectric dams along the Columbia and Snake rivers.

edit: just pointing this out because there are no serious proposals to remove said dams, and for good reason

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 21, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I mean, the Columbia Generating Station doesn't even dump hot water into anything afaik, they have a couple enormous cooling towers. When a bunch of people from my nuclear engineering department toured the place, hanford, and the local areva facility, the cooling tower literally sucked the sunglasses off my friend's face when we got to poke our heads inside. It was hilarious.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

logger posted:

He is running in Snohomish County which is not in Eastern Washington.
In this context, "eastside" refers to east of Lake Washington, Snohomish County is large enough that calling it eastside is pretty questionable, but its population probably shares policy goals with the actual eastside, Bellevue, Redmond, Issaquah, et cetera.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Yeah, calling Snohomish County "Eastside" is pretty inaccurate, inasmuch as it lies north of the thing the Eastside suburbs are "east" of. Yes, it shares some characteristics with Redmond, Kirkland, or Bellevue, but no more than anywhere else matching the phrase "Seattle suburb" would. And once you get up to Everett and beyond, even that link is pretty tenuous.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kaal posted:

So can the dirt and silting from constructing a bridge. And sometimes we'll even modify or abandon bridge projects because of it, but we don't say that bridges poison fish.

I was just pointing out that warm-water discharge does have an effect.

That said, I'm a mildly pro-nuclear Oregonian, so I'm a rare breed.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was just pointing out that warm-water discharge does have an effect.

That said, I'm a mildly pro-nuclear Oregonian, so I'm a rare breed.

Come visit the Radiation Center at OSU, you'll be among friends :cheeky:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

logger posted:

Primary time for the 2014 elections has come, and looking through the voters pamphlet for Snohomish County I came across this little batch of crazy from one of the candidates for county executive.

Now granted some of his positions are reasonable, but I can't take his anti-science conspiracy stance. The worst part is I was telling my dad about his positions and he seemed interested in voting for him. :sigh:

The anti-Roundup position is especially troubling to me. I spent the year after college working in a salmon stream remediation crew through a partnership between AmeriCorps/Washington Conservation Corps and the SnoCo Water District. Half of that project was maintaining a native plant nursery in Lake Stevens where we would maintain stores of native plants (reclaimed/harvested from construction sites or we were buying bulk saplings and raising them up). The other half was clearing stream areas of invasive species - primarily Reed Canary Grass, Himalayan Blackberry and loving Knotweed. Most of the removal was done mechanically, but Roundup was a really important tool to removing those invasive species in a reasonable amount of time.

Having some jackass who's scared of chemicals he can't pronounce is going to have a serious impact on our salmon streams.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Magres posted:

Come visit the Radiation Center at OSU, you'll be among friends :cheeky:

Aren't you people the reason we have to have a large on-campus police force?

Kidding, but I drive by that part of campus often and every now and again stuff comes out on the research going on in there. It's neat to have.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 21, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It's the department in which I am a grad student! I like the place a lot, I'm defending for my Master's degree really soon and starting my PhD after.

We definitely do have elevated security there - you have to have a little RFID dongle to get in outside of business hours, and state troopers sweep the place every couple hours. Also to get into the back where the reactor is, you have to get through a steel door that's probably two inches thick. It's awesome.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Kaal posted:

Most of the native fish in the PNW that people give a poo poo about (trout, salmon, sturgeon) require colder water to live in. As do many of their primary food sources.

By the way, if any of you have never seen the Columbia River Gorge, you owe it to yourself to see it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

effectual posted:

Doubt the guy will win anyway, anyone that populist on the eastside has a snowballs chance in hell.

A++ trolling.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Solkanar512 posted:

The anti-Roundup position is especially troubling to me. I spent the year after college working in a salmon stream remediation crew through a partnership between AmeriCorps/Washington Conservation Corps and the SnoCo Water District. Half of that project was maintaining a native plant nursery in Lake Stevens where we would maintain stores of native plants (reclaimed/harvested from construction sites or we were buying bulk saplings and raising them up). The other half was clearing stream areas of invasive species - primarily Reed Canary Grass, Himalayan Blackberry and loving Knotweed. Most of the removal was done mechanically, but Roundup was a really important tool to removing those invasive species in a reasonable amount of time.

Having some jackass who's scared of chemicals he can't pronounce is going to have a serious impact on our salmon streams.
You don't need all those scary chemicals to kill weeds; here, I found this recipe for a non-chemical weed killer online: https://twitter.com/glentickle/status/476913497633472512/photo/1

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The reactor at Reed is fun to visit

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

You don't need all those scary chemicals to kill weeds; here, I found this recipe for a non-chemical weed killer online: https://twitter.com/glentickle/status/476913497633472512/photo/1

You could actually just use the salt.

Of course, then nothing else will grow there, either.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Sadly, Washington has a bunch of the wacky anti-Science types just like (far nuttier) Portland.
I know a guy who won't stand near a microwave while it is on because of 'radiation'. I guess most people just feel compelled to be crazy.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Ask him if he'd like a nice, healthy dose of Curium.

It's got Cure in the name, it's gotta be healthy!

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I learned this year that apparently dating back to the turn of the 20th century Washington's Department of Natural Resources owns almost any lake in Washington deeper than 4 feet deep.

This leads to some interesting discussions when you're trying to build a dock in a lake.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Kaal posted:

I was referring to all the leaks in the Hanford storage tanks.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
While I was reading about the columbia river gorge, I noticed a landmark called horsethief butte :mmmhmm:

How many other buttes do we have in washington?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

effectual posted:

I was referring to all the leaks in the Hanford storage tanks.

You mean the 1 leaking tank(out of 177) that will take decades to reach underground water supplies? Yes, much worse than coal making GBS threads up the atmosphere with pollutants.

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/nwp/sections/tankwaste/closure/pages/tank_leak_FAQ.html

Guess what? All methods of energy production have drawbacks. You take the least evil.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Freakazoid_ posted:

While I was reading about the columbia river gorge, I noticed a landmark called horsethief butte :mmmhmm:

How many other buttes do we have in washington?

McClellan Butte is pretty but not nearly as amusing

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Anyone have any firsthand news or info from the wild fires? Sounds like its pretty bad from what the news says.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

mod sassinator posted:

Anyone have any firsthand news or info from the wild fires? Sounds like its pretty bad from what the news says.

I'm leaving for Lake Chelan this weekend, and we usually make a stop in Leavenworth on the way. I hope they manage to get things under control.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Super late but,

Gerund posted:

She was decent at her "job" and far less plutocratic than some people liked to paint her as. A decent choice for what has always been a patronage position.
I really view this move as her just getting a natural 'promotion'. I agree though, it's a decent choice for what has always been a patronage position. - Although I'm pretty sure she's taking a pay cut in actuality.

Tzen fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 23, 2014

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Looks like President Obama is visiting today for a fundraiser that requires crossing a bridge to get to the Eastside, at the same time I-90 bridge has reduced lanes for construction. People really don't seem happy about it, and it does seem tone deaf to complicate traffic for fundraising reasons. I wish they could just rent a ballroom near SeaTac and use that, but then I guess some rich guy wouldn't be able to show off his house.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Looks like President Obama is visiting today for a fundraiser that requires crossing a bridge to get to the Eastside, at the same time I-90 bridge has reduced lanes for construction. People really don't seem happy about it, and it does seem tone deaf to complicate traffic for fundraising reasons. I wish they could just rent a ballroom near SeaTac and use that, but then I guess some rich guy wouldn't be able to show off his house.

Christ really? Good to know, I got hosed over sitting in traffic when Paul Ryan was here.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Wait, has it actually been confirmed that he's using a motorcade rather than Marine 1?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Solkanar512 posted:

Wait, has it actually been confirmed that he's using a motorcade rather than Marine 1?

They never confirm anything about presidential travel, not even to the state and local department of transportation.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Don't they usually fly into Boeing field?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

gohuskies posted:

They never confirm anything about presidential travel, not even to the state and local department of transportation.

In any case it's still a hillariously tone deaf thing for them to do, the only way it could be worse is if he got out of the car on 90 and talked about how great it was someone was working on infrastructure while the state refuses to pass a transportation bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
Maybe some fighters will be scrambled for some sonic booms like last time.

• Locked thread