Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
How big is the (not classified?) scan/monitor range on an AWACS, anyway? I've never really bothered to think about it before.

Godholio posted:

B-move a tanker into it.

hah :argh: KC-135 - "Dick move, AWACS bros."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Northrop says 250mi radius.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

KodiakRS posted:

I once got chewed out by an angry octogenarian because my civilian flight school had the gall to buzz his house with an F-16. He didn't believe when I told him that we had not, in fact, selected the F-16 as our new single engine trainer to replace our aging 172s. The best part was that I pretty much had to yell into the phone to get him to hear me because he was almost deaf.*

My second favorite story about noise is the saga of Arizona Motorsports Park which was shut down temporarily due to noise complaints. A racetrack being shut down because of noise isn't unheard of, and it's a little bit off topic for the thread, except for one small fact. AMP is literally only a few hundred yards away from one of the runways at Luke AFB (where the loud as hell F-16 in the first story came from.) I know motorcycles are loud but are you really going to complain about them when there's a loving F-16 taking off right next to them?

*Or he had no idea how to use a phone.

I think I've posted this before but, about 15 years ago there were some developers looking to build a Daytona-style superspeedway here in NY, with a road course, drag strip, the works. It was gonna have the funding and everything, NASCAR was on board and VikingSkull was an excited teenager.

Then it got shut down due to noise concerns.

It was going to be built on the Stewart buffer lands.

Home of the C-5.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

^Thats insane.

hobbesmaster posted:

Yup. And that's good enough for government work.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

hobbesmaster posted:

[I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE.jpg] :v:

Tangential related: How sterile are all the crew in the plane underneath the dish now? :downsrim:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The story is (and in all honesty, what I've seen matches) that you'll only have girls. Unless you and your spouse are both AWACS aircrew, in which case you'll only have boys. I heard this when I was going through training at Tyndall from crusty old retired enlisted instructors, and I paid attention when I started flying. It held up. :stare: The only people I knew who had boys after flying were couples. I think there was one exception, but I can't even remember who it was so I might be imagining it.

Edit: Comedy answer, they're mostly a bunch of goon-like nerds so nobody will ever know.

Edit2: VVV It's the chemtrail fumes.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 22, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NONIONIZING RADIATION DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

(I swear there was a morbo emote)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Godholio posted:

^Thats insane.

quote:

In 1971, today's Stewart State Forest was first set aside as the "Stewart Bufferlands," when the State condemned 8,076 acres to the west of then Stewart Air Force Base. The land was to become the east coast's premier Super Sonic Transport (SST) airport, and the large buffer was needed for expansion and noise abatement. The State bought 802 parcels of land, removing 337 farms and houses, and almost 1,200 people.
view of hayfield on Stewart State Forest

The airport expansion and SST plans were abandoned by 1982 and commercial flights began at Stewart in 1990. The airport's long runway remains one of several emergency landing sites for the Space Shuttle. Between 1974 and 1999, the DEC's Division of Fish and Wildlife managed Stewart as a Cooperative Hunting Area. The "Stewart Bufferlands" were turned over to the DEC in 1999 and 2006, after decisions were made concerning several development proposals for parts of the property.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/50095.html

That, I did not know.

Imagine the complaints if that was a Concorde hub :black101:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I read something in a Discover magazine way back that fighter jockeys have a higher rate of fathering girls, the thinking was the g forces but perhaps being exposed to a lot of EMF?

It was one of those last page of the magazine articles so more lighthearted than usual.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

hobbesmaster posted:

(I swear there was a morbo emote)

That's just what they tell you when they inject they the tracking chip during induction and immunization. Wake up, Hobbesles! :tinfoil:

(can't a guy make a radiation joke up in this piece? come on I put a :downsrim: and everything!)

(vvv - nope. I love Futurama but didn't know "[X] DOES NOT WORK LIKE THAT" was a thing. Ohhhh Morbo. :allears:)

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 22, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The futurama quote didn't tip you off?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Godholio posted:

Or even just shut down and go home if needed.

Wouldn't that be almost as good as actually scoring a kill?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Wouldn't that be almost as good as actually scoring a kill?

Aside from not killing 20+ people, several of whom spent over 2 years in training just to learn to do their jobs, and destroying a half-billion dollar aircraft that can't be replaced, yes. I addressed this on the last page.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
It got overshadowed by the MH17 shoot down, but Tripoli Airport got attacked last week and quite a few airliners got blown up or damaged.

quote:

DESTROYED:
1.Airbus A330-200 - Afriqiyah Airways – 5A- – msn xxxx – hit by RPG in aft fuselage and destroyed by fire
2.Canadair CRJ-900 – Libyan Airlines – 5A- - msn xxxx - hit by RPG in aft fuselage and destroyed by fire >>> this would be 5A-LAL
3.Ilyushin IL-76 – Libyan Arab Air cargo – 5A-DNG – nsm xxxx - destroyed by rocket attack and fire

SUBSTANTIALLY DAMAGED:
1.Canadair CRJ-900 – Libyan Airlines – 5A-LAB - msn 15121 - RPG explosion in center fuselage
2.Airbus A330-200 – Libyan Airlines – 5A-LAS – msn 1424 - hit by RPG, maybe a hull loss
3.Airbus A320 – Libyan Airlines – 5A-LAH – msn 4405 - hit by series of bullets
4.Airbus A319 – Afriqiyah Airways – 5A-ONC – msn 3615 - RPG explosion in aft fuselage
5.Airbus A330-200 – Afriqiyah Airways – 5A-ONP – msn 1472 - series of bullets in aft fuselage and empennage
6.Boeing 737-500 – Bouraq Airways – 5A-WAC -msn 26531 – gunfire damage in lower fuselage

DAMAGED:
1.Airbus A330-200 – Afriqiyah Airways – 5A-ONF – msn 999 – unkown damage
2.Airbus A330-200 – Afriqiyah Airways – 5A-ONH – msn 1049 - unkown damage
3.Airbus A319 – Afriqiyah Airways – 5A-ONFJ- msn 4004 - unkown damage
4.Airbus A320 – Afriqiyah Airways – 5A-ONM – msn 4521 - unkown damage
5.Airbus A320 – Afriqiyah Airways – 5A-ONN – msn 5414 - unkown damage
6.Avro RJ-100 - Air Libya – 5A-FLB – msn E3234 - unknown damage
7.Boeing 737-500 – Bouraq Airlines – 5A-WAD – msn xxxx - unknown damage
8.Boeing 737-800 – Bouraq Airlines – 5A-DMH – msn 34949 – unknown damage
9.Airbus A320 – Libyan Airlines – 5A-LAI - msn 4450 - unknown damage
10.Airbus A320 – Libyan Airlines – 5A_LAJ - msn 4490 - unknown damage
11.Airbus A320 – Libyan Airlines – TS-INN – msn xxxx – damaged by bullets
12.Falcon 900 – Libyan Government – 5A-DCN – msn 148 – unknown damage
13.DHC-8-300 – Medavia – 9H-LEY – msn xxxx – hit by debris and shrapnel while in hangar

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

hobbesmaster posted:

Speaking of radiation, here's one I never saw before. Helicopter flying Chernobyl cleanup duties clips a crane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s40uKLCjcU

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Phanatic posted:

Speaking of radiation, here's one I never saw before. Helicopter flying Chernobyl cleanup duties clips a crane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s40uKLCjcU

Those comments make me really heated. Radiation is apparently this nebulous force that can melt helicopter rotor blades.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A Melted Tarp posted:

Those comments make me really heated. Radiation is apparently this nebulous force that can melt helicopter rotor blades.

Well, if there was one place on the planet where radiation could melt helicopter blades it'd be right* there.

*right there meaning 100ft or so below there

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

gently caress you island!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c-vJ9gVJm0

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The seats in united's new CRJ 700 are horrible and dumb. 3 hours on this thing sucked rear end.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jealous Cow posted:

The seats in united's new CRJ 700 are horrible and dumb. 3 hours on this thing sucked rear end.

Christ that's a long RJ flight. Where were you O&D? It was nice when Delta killed 50-seaters on flights over 750 miles. I still have a 600 mile leg every now and again and that's about the limit of my endurance on those. I don't mind the CRJ7s and 9s as much.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

A Melted Tarp posted:

However, some of the videos have a lot of spots on them because the film was sensitive to radiation. There's even a video of some people on the beach like that, before they told people to evacuate.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Film is a hell of a lot more sensitive to radiation than people or helicopter blades, though.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Jealous Cow posted:

Just booked my 4th flight between AUS and SFO in the last 2.5 months on an RJ7. 3h45m :smithicide:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

What's the general opinion of airline dispatch? Mystical weather wizards? Fuel economy obsessives? Any commercial/big airline dispatchers in the thread with stories to tell?

Just learned dispatch is more than I thought it was; a work chum wants to do it but can't find any openings.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

What's the general opinion of airline dispatch? Mystical weather wizards? Fuel economy obsessives? Any commercial/big airline dispatchers in the thread with stories to tell?

Just learned dispatch is more than I thought it was; a work chum wants to do it but can't find any openings.

You mean like SOC (system operations control, or equivalent)? I haven't got any stories yet, but I'm sure I will in the coming years...

That's right, I'm hanging up my tools and going to jockey a desk at maintenance control. New challenges, bright horizons and all that. I'll definitely miss being airside, but I'm sure there'll be a few opportunities to get to the hangar or line to get my anorak fix if I'm really jonesing. And there's always this old thread!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I oughta see what's out there for me with my previous aviation experience. I know that flying is out of the question, which I'm alright with.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FrozenVent posted:

Film is a hell of a lot more sensitive to radiation than people or helicopter blades, though.

Oh I know, I was more bringing up an anecdote than trying to compare the two. I think it's kind of fascinating though, I wish I could remember what to type in Youtube for good examples but maybe I'll try some other day.

Just About Done
May 26, 2007

Should I go with the full gas or half gas? Full gas.

Seconding this- anyone have any wisdom about dispatch as a career? I'm thinking about taking classes for the dispatch license this fall but not completely convinced it'll be worth the investment. The school says there are many jobs opening in the next 6-12 months, but a less biased source would be greatly appreciated!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Are there any SAM systems that actually track a transponder? Not just interrogating to prevent blue-on-blue/blue-on-white shots, but actually homing on the signal. That sounds like it would be a war crime waiting to happen.

I don't know about that specifically , but on a related note I do know that Vietnam F-4 RWRs would light up when they detected MiG-21 IFF signals. They didn't interrogate, but I suppose the circumstances didn't leave a MiG-21 IFF uninterrogated for long. And given that fairly sophisticated capability existed in the medieval days of EW, the stuff they have today is going to be pretty hot. Anything radiated by any military unit, a ship's cannon aiming radar or a tank talking to another tank, is useful for their enemies.

atomicthumbs posted:

Wait, I just realized that active countermeasures for airliners are entirely the wrong way to go. Not effective, and way too expensive, with all those other complications to boot.

What we need is a LO airliner.

What we really need is for Russia to stop being assholes.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Just About Done posted:

Seconding this- anyone have any wisdom about dispatch as a career? I'm thinking about taking classes for the dispatch license this fall but not completely convinced it'll be worth the investment. The school says there are many jobs opening in the next 6-12 months, but a less biased source would be greatly appreciated!

My wife is a dispatcher for a 121 carrier and has experience with a 121 supplemental carrier as well (although that was a while ago). She loves her job and is happy to answer any questions.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Don't most IFF's get turned off in warzones anyway, precisely because it gives you away. Which is one of the reasons BVR missile shots are actually so rare, because no reliable IFF makes reliable targeting (i.e avoiding friendly fire) so hard.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

Don't most IFF's get turned off in warzones anyway, precisely because it gives you away. Which is one of the reasons BVR missile shots are actually so rare, because no reliable IFF makes reliable targeting (i.e avoiding friendly fire) so hard.

Which is funny, because Identification Friend or Foe was invented for wartime use. Airliner/GA transponders are something else, although they work on the same principle.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I always wondered why there wasn't an anti AWACS ARM missile, but then...

NPO Novator has product for you! It big missile!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KS-172

One of the many projects that kept steaming on after the fall of the USSR, despite the utter disinterest of the VVS.

Aero737 posted:

Tripoli Airport attack details

:stare:

Libya is a place that really, by now, deserves better poo poo than this.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 23, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Deptfordx posted:

It depends. An IFF interrogation and the response or lack thereof are usually part of the identification process, but how important it is and where it fits in is operation-specific. That info will also be classified.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm going to pretend that its like every modern military flight sim and the fighter pilots just lock up every blip one by one on their screen and say in an inconsistent voice "Sentry 1-1, falcon 2-1, declare!"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's not uncommon. F-15Cs and F-22s don't do it as much, just because that's their bread and butter, but when poo poo gets busy enough it still happens.

If AWACS/GCI does it's job right, all that poo poo was broadcast already though.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Ola posted:

What we really need is for Russia to stop being assholes.

Yeah, but what are the chances of that happening?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

atomicthumbs posted:

Yeah, but what are the chances of that happening?

Russia will always be that unbearable Eastern European power. If not them, then who? Lithuania?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

YF19pilot posted:

Russia will always be that unbearable Eastern European power. If not them, then who? Lithuania?

Time for them to link up with Poland again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MrChips posted:

Time for them to link up with Poland again...

Lithuania or Russia? :getin: