Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Man, I don't know what ya'll dweebs are talking about, the sword classes are the best. Nothing better than watching all of your cavalry and poo poo die in droves around only to get sick of this poo poo, break off, hit your buffs, and oneshot absolutely everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I've not played Blade Storm (and never will, as I'm PC only), but I wish the regular soldiers were more important in DW. It seems like they squander what could be really unique gameplay by having them be so inconsequential. There should be a more dramatic effect to bringing a unit with you into a fight.
Yeah, it'd be nice if the armies were more important. As it is, the only way to play Dynasty Warriors is to hop from named guy to named guy; heck, in DW8, the mooks despawn if you take all their leaders out. They don't even have to be necessarily dangerous, just, y'know, worth killing. Maybe they could impede your movement more or something. Or their swings could be pathetically weak and not cause hitstun, but they'd attack much more vigorously, so they'd whittle you to death if you didn't clear out a big crowd before taking on the officer. (Having units attack more in general would be cool, I think; as it stands, opposing armies pretty much stare at each other.)

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The simplest way to do it would be to tie it to objectives. Taking a fort means gently caress all without soldiers to staff it; it isn't secured unless a unit can move inside, and it can fall if surrounded by enemy troops. Siege weapons don't function unless a unit is crewing it (and make them actually effective while you're at it).

The huge brawler gameplay of DW is fun, and they should keep that element, but to have these huge battlefields and grand strategies basically be window dressing outside of a few scripted events is a massive waste of potential.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'd rather play 2 than Reborn or 3. 3 was just endlessly dull and lacked any kind of variety in its missions, and Reborn is just way too loving easy. 2 may be grindy as poo poo, but at least it's actually challenging at times and has decent enough variety.

2 was hilariously easy. Not as easy as Reborn but still easy enough you shouldn't play it for 'challenge.' I really think you're remembering 2 via nostalgia if you really think it had variety and challenge.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Anonymous Robot posted:

The huge brawler gameplay of DW is fun, and they should keep that element, but to have these huge battlefields and grand strategies basically be window dressing outside of a few scripted events is a massive waste of potential.

That's sorta, kinda what the DW:Empires expansions try to do. There's more of a focus on controlling the battlefield by capturing forts and reinforcement points and keeping your guys alive for the next fight. It's still 99% DW gameplay, but with a thin layer of strategy on top. Pretty sure they announced 8E was getting ported to PC like XL, right? If PC people are liking 8XL, 8E is worth checking out whenever it gets released.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
8e is being released simultaneously with consoles, it seems

is it just going to be the full game with a piece tacked on? or is it actually gonna be an expansion

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Empires games tend to be expandalones, yeah.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
Has anyone here imported Samurai warriors 4?

How is it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Trollhawke posted:

Has anyone here imported Samurai warriors 4?

How is it?
It's definitely the best SW game (they had to apologize for 3, after all), and high up in the ranking for the best Musou game overall.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's definitely the best SW game (they had to apologize for 3, after all), and high up in the ranking for the best Musou game overall.

Random rear end question, do you remember if the third yellow side shows up in any of the maps

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh god, I've been listening to the soundtrack and it's just so good, I'm fighting every bone in my body not to breakdown and just import the vita version already because i don't think i can wait til october. Posts like this are NOT helping.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

2 was hilariously easy. Not as easy as Reborn but still easy enough you shouldn't play it for 'challenge.' I really think you're remembering 2 via nostalgia if you really think it had variety and challenge.

Uh I've played it pretty recently and there are a handful of missions that are among the hardest in Warriors games. Not that that's saying a whole lot.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Always take it with a grain of salt when ImpAtom says something is easy. This man eats difficult video games for breakfast.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RentACop posted:

Random rear end question, do you remember if the third yellow side shows up in any of the maps
No, I don't remember. I do like it when that shows up in Musou games though.

edit: SW4 has two huge new features: One is that every character has a whole new moveset (standard and charge attacks) just for mowing down grunts, while the normal one is mainly for bosses. Two is that you choose two player characters and they are independent and you can send one to do something else on the other side of the map, and then just switch to them when they get there, completely eliminating the chore of running across the battlefield yourself.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 20, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

FredMSloniker posted:

Yeah, it'd be nice if the armies were more important. As it is, the only way to play Dynasty Warriors is to hop from named guy to named guy; heck, in DW8, the mooks despawn if you take all their leaders out. They don't even have to be necessarily dangerous, just, y'know, worth killing. Maybe they could impede your movement more or something. Or their swings could be pathetically weak and not cause hitstun, but they'd attack much more vigorously, so they'd whittle you to death if you didn't clear out a big crowd before taking on the officer. (Having units attack more in general would be cool, I think; as it stands, opposing armies pretty much stare at each other.)

It's kinda odd. The lesser troops have been going down and down in base importance as the ability to render more and more of them has risen, possibly for obvious reasons(AI needs to be kept simple). My experience goes 4, 5, 8. The difference in aggressiveness and what they could do was fairly large even between 4 and 5. They had charge attacks, they could block, I think some could use counter. We got mages in 5, but everyone lost effectiveness as the playables gained it(Having many C5s turn into AOE really raised killing). It was then we semi-lost the 50/100 kills bonus and completely lost the 1000 kills super-boost, too.

It really shows in 8's aping of Empires, because you can't control Morale properly at all, and Morale is map-wide. And Morale tends to be a domino effect even in the old days.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Static Rook posted:

Pretty sure they announced 8E was getting ported to PC like XL, right?

I really hope this is true, the empire games are by far the most fun.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
They also said 8XL on PC would be getting the DLC. We see how well that's worked out so far.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I'm still waiting for the rest of the costume DLC on PS4. Seriously, how could I not want to play as Zhang Liao dressed as Puss-in-Boots?

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I just wanna fight with a bench as my weapon! gently caress!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm still fond of Modern Day costumes, myself. If only there was a way to switch them all on for everyone at once. The cutscenes would be hilarious.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Speedball posted:

I'm still fond of Modern Day costumes, myself. If only there was a way to switch them all on for everyone at once. The cutscenes would be hilarious.

I just want them to make them (and joke weapons) for the new people. :argh:

They had those out right away for 7XL.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I suppose this is the right place to talk about Sengoku Basara. I finally decided to try one of them, and went for Samurai Heroes on PS3. So far it's actually pretty fun, though it was hard to adjust to some of its weird mechanics. My concern is just... Am I supposed to understand anything that's going on in the plot at all? My best guess is that the Sengoku Basara series actually runs the plots chronologically through the games, which means all I'm getting is the late-era stuff. It's not a huge concern, as the gameplay is obviously the main draw, I just wish I understood somewhat more when Yellow Hoodie Akihiko goes "Ah yes, that guy, yeah I remember that guy, he was cool."

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Infinity Gaia posted:

I suppose this is the right place to talk about Sengoku Basara. I finally decided to try one of them, and went for Samurai Heroes on PS3. So far it's actually pretty fun, though it was hard to adjust to some of its weird mechanics. My concern is just... Am I supposed to understand anything that's going on in the plot at all? My best guess is that the Sengoku Basara series actually runs the plots chronologically through the games, which means all I'm getting is the late-era stuff. It's not a huge concern, as the gameplay is obviously the main draw, I just wish I understood somewhat more when Yellow Hoodie Akihiko goes "Ah yes, that guy, yeah I remember that guy, he was cool."

Yeah, the Basara titles, at least the first three, ran in a vaguely chronological order.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Magil of Shadow posted:

Yeah, the Basara titles, at least the first three, ran in a vaguely chronological order.

More importantly, it is based on actual history (however distorted by all the extra anime trappings), so the original japanese target audience had a pretty good idea of who was who and how they relate to each other.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

Infinity Gaia posted:

My best guess is that the Sengoku Basara series actually runs the plots chronologically through the games, which means all I'm getting is the late-era stuff.

Loosely, yes:

- Sengoku Basara 1 is set around Oda Nobunaga's rise to power.
- Sengoku Basara 2 is set around Toyotomi Hideyoshi's rise to power.
- Sengoku Basara 3/Samurai Heroes is set around the battle of Sekigahara and Tokugawa Ieyasu's rise to power.

These games are based on the warring states period from beginning to end. (Sengoku Basara 4 breaks the mold by not giving even a single drat about chronology and going back in time to Ashikaga Yoshiteru's reign/the formation of the Sengoku period because why not.)

However, while the frame Capcom hangs the main storyline on has something of a chronological/historical basis, there's a lot of stuff that falls outside of that because it's more awesome that way and who really cares. For instance, Mouri Motonari is Kobayakawa Hideaki's (Kingo's) grandfather and wasn't alive at the time of Sengoku Basara 3's setting (he would be over 100 years old) but he's in the game pulling off a big dramatic scheme anyway.

The history is more of a backdrop to the character drama than the other way round and you don't need to know it to have fun and enjoy how silly/overdramatic/OTT the plot is. It does help to know the established character relationships from the previous games but honestly, you'll get the gist of them pretty quick. :)

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
I'm extremely late to the Bladestorm news, but holy poo poo I am so loving delighted. Assuming they're keeping the previous formula, but man what I wouldn't give for a proper Warriors edition of it. :allears: Either way, will they balance it more? I remember the horse cavalry being inordinately broken, but I haven't played it in a loooong time either.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Magil of Shadow posted:

The fourth is nominally set back at the beginning of the era, but its actual historical content is near zero this time, so it doesn't really matter.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ghost-Slug posted:

Loosely, yes:

- Sengoku Basara 1 is set around Oda Nobunaga's rise to power.
- Sengoku Basara 2 is set around Toyotomi Hideyoshi's rise to power.
- Sengoku Basara 3/Samurai Heroes is set around the battle of Sekigahara and Tokugawa Ieyasu's rise to power.

These games are based on the warring states period from beginning to end. (Sengoku Basara 4 breaks the mold by not giving even a single drat about chronology and going back in time to Ashikaga Yoshiteru's reign/the formation of the Sengoku period because why not.)

However, while the frame Capcom hangs the main storyline on has something of a chronological/historical basis, there's a lot of stuff that falls outside of that because it's more awesome that way and who really cares. For instance, Mouri Motonari is Kobayakawa Hideaki's (Kingo's) grandfather and wasn't alive at the time of Sengoku Basara 3's setting (he would be over 100 years old) but he's in the game pulling off a big dramatic scheme anyway.

The history is more of a backdrop to the character drama than the other way round and you don't need to know it to have fun and enjoy how silly/overdramatic/OTT the plot is. It does help to know the established character relationships from the previous games but honestly, you'll get the gist of them pretty quick. :)

Yeah, I've never really been into Warriors-type games for the plot, but I'm actually enjoying the ridiculous character interactions in this. It's actually pretty simple to work out the relationships most characters have with each other. You don't need to be a historian to figure out that Mitsunari hates IEEEEEYAAAAAASU, for instance.

Also, I just did the map with Oichi for the first time, please tell me she's an unlockable character, her "fighting style" looks amazing.

Edit: Oh, and is Tadakatsu Honda: Literal Super Robot playable? He doesn't fit the pattern of unlockable characters (if you can play them, their mouth moves in cutscenes), but that COULD be because he never says anything due to being literally a super robot.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 21, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

Also, I just did the map with Oichi for the first time, please tell me she's an unlockable character, her "fighting style" looks amazing.

Yep! She's a queen of cluster-gently caress and I love her.

Beat story mode as Yukimra and Date, then beat it as the characters they unlock.

And yes, Tadakatsu is unlockable. Don't remember how.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 21, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish the Basara games still came to the US. They were different enough from the Warrior games that they had a place in the market. They were just so over-the-top and flashy that it made up for the smaller, cramped maps you fought on.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Jimbot posted:

I wish the Basara games still came to the US. They were different enough from the Warrior games that they had a place in the market. They were just so over-the-top and flashy that it made up for the smaller, cramped maps you fought on.

I'm still butthurt about SB4 not making here cause of sales of 3. Historical crap aside, SB4 has playable 20 foot toyotomi. IIEEEEEYAAAASUUUUUUUU!:emo:

Edit: vvvvvv Wait you're telling me the Nobunaga bit at the end of the opening attract character showcase is a fake out?

OxMan fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 21, 2014

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Edit: Oh, and is Tadakatsu Honda: Literal Super Robot playable? He doesn't fit the pattern of unlockable characters (if you can play them, their mouth moves in cutscenes), but that COULD be because he never says anything due to being literally a super robot.
Here's a list of how to unlock people:
  • Chosokabe Motochika: Clear Story Mode with Saika Magoichi
  • Fuma Kotaro: Clear Story Mode with Sanada Yukimura
  • Honda Tadakatsu: Clear Story Mode with Shimazu Yoshihiro and Otani Yoshitsugu
  • Maeda Keiji: Clear Story Mode with Date Masamune
  • Mori Motonari: Clear Story Mode with Tsuruhime and Chosokabe
  • Oichi: Clear Story Mode with Fuma and Maeda
  • Otani Yoshitsugu: Clear Story Mode with Ishida Mitsunari
  • Shimazu Yoshihiro: Clear Story Mode with Kuroda Kanbe
  • Tsuruhime: Clear Story Mode with Tokugawa Ieyasu

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

OxMan posted:

I'm still butthurt about SB4 not making here cause of sales of 3. Historical crap aside, SB4 has playable 20 foot toyotomi. IIEEEEEYAAAASUUUUUUUU!:emo:

Edit: vvvvvv Wait you're telling me the Nobunaga bit at the end of the opening attract character showcase is a fake out?

I'm more pissed about Utage, if only because of my bias towards the Uesugi. SERIOUSLY, CAPCOM, WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST THEM?

Demoted to NPC in 3, made as bonus characters in Utage, then gutted to NPC again in 4. For gently caress's sake.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah, I've never really been into Warriors-type games for the plot, but I'm actually enjoying the ridiculous character interactions in this. It's actually pretty simple to work out the relationships most characters have with each other. You don't need to be a historian to figure out that Mitsunari hates IEEEEEYAAAAAASU, for instance.

Most of the character relationships are obvious as soon as they meet each other but there are a couple where knowledge of the previous games helps. Tenkai and Mouri both come to mind, since if you played the previous games you would instantly know all about Tenkai's real identity and also what the hell is going on when Mouri enters Sorin's stage. Stuff like that.

Funnily enough, both the silent characters are playable. Tadakatsu is nearly always ridiculous and overpowered and you should treat him much the same as you would Lu Bu in Dynasty Warriors. Historically, Tadakatsu was renowned as the strongest warrior of the East as well as a warrior who never received a wound in his lifetime and Capcom really went all out on that angle by making him a literal fighting machine.

OxMan posted:

I'm still butthurt about SB4 not making here cause of sales of 3. Historical crap aside, SB4 has playable 20 foot toyotomi. . IIEEEEEYAAAASUUUUUUUU!:emo:

If you've got a PS3 and you don't mind playing games in Japanese, it's pretty easy to set up a Hong Kong or Japan profile, buy a points card and get Sengoku Basara 4 from the Playstation store. I would say that despite a potential language gap, it's pretty easy to play and enjoy Basara. Also, if you're struggling with controls or items, there's a translation guide for all that sort of stuff. It's worth it for Matabei and the Kanbei pinball stage at the very least!

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
So is Samurai Warriors 4 definitely getting a US release for PS3 too? It doesn't seem like you can even preorder it from anywhere, only the PS4 version is available.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

PS3 and Vita releases are PSN exclusive to my knowledge. Only the PS4/Xbone versions are getting retail ones.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Dual Monarchy posted:

I'm extremely late to the Bladestorm news, but holy poo poo I am so loving delighted. Assuming they're keeping the previous formula, but man what I wouldn't give for a proper Warriors edition of it. :allears: Either way, will they balance it more? I remember the horse cavalry being inordinately broken, but I haven't played it in a loooong time either.

Better yet, when is Koei going to stop ignoring their liberty or death franchise http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_or_Death_(video_game) and make a proper warriors game out of it? I don't want to live in a world where I can't Musou genocide thousands of British as george washington, while its set to butt rock. You know they would make Paul Revere rule, like make his weapon a giant gently caress off bell or something.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

polish sausage posted:

Better yet, when is Koei going to stop ignoring their liberty or death franchise http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_or_Death_(video_game) and make a proper warriors game out of it? I don't want to live in a world where I can't Musou genocide thousands of British as george washington, while its set to butt rock. You know they would make Paul Revere rule, like make his weapon a giant gently caress off bell or something.

I never knew how bad I wanted this until now.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

polish sausage posted:

I would play this. I'd also be partial to a Frontier Warriors game where I could play as Musou versions of Billy the Kid, John Henry, and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

DrPaper posted:

I would play this. I'd also be partial to a Frontier Warriors game where I could play as Musou versions of Billy the Kid, John Henry, and the like.

I can't even fathom how racist Koei's depiction of Native Americans would be in a western-themed Warriors game.