Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

I have many souls. They are still scum.

anyway, I just found out that taunting in God Hand actually has a purpose other than making me feel like a big man: if an enemy is in range, they get heated up (i.e. they charge you and are super aggressive for a brief moment), and it also raises your tension gauge and difficulty level! No more 1.5 ratio for me. (is that ever mentioned in a tutorial and I missed it?)

e: more fun trivia. The things the various thugs say throughout the game, i.e. "You're not Alexander!", "I'm Alexander the Great!", "I'm brutal and ruthless!", "My style is impetuous!", and "My defenses are impregnable!" are all taken/paraphrased from a press conference with Mike Tyson regarding his upcoming fight against Lennox Lewis.

Tyson posted:

Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!

Tyson posted:

I'm the most brutal and ruthless conquerer there has ever been.

Tyson posted:

Lennox is a conqueror? No. I’m Alexander. He’s no Alexander. I’m the best ever.

sidenote, Tyson is loving insane.

cowboythreespeech has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Jul 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserBaconMan
Jan 13, 2014

kazil posted:

If you hate the bonewheels in DS2 then you don't have a soul.

I don't have a soul, I have 7,000. :c00l:

Edit: vvvvv I've never played Dark Souls :ssh:

LaserBaconMan has a new favorite as of 06:48 on Jul 19, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

LaserBaconMan posted:

I don't have a soul, I have 7,000. :c00l:

Maybe you should leave Majula at some point then

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

kazil posted:

If you hate the bonewheels in DS2 then you don't have a soul.

I sure don't because thanks to them now I'm hollow. :argh:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Xoidanor posted:

I sure don't because thanks to them now I'm hollow. :argh:
Feeble.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I just picked up Diablo III the other day. One of the witch doctor's attacks is to throw adorable little frogs at his enemies :3:

Also, I love his little head wiggle.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

grittyreboot posted:

I just picked up Diablo III the other day. One of the witch doctor's attacks is to throw adorable little frogs at his enemies :3:

I think the male witch doctor is by far the friendliest of the D3 gender/class combinations. Dude is just so pleased to be helping out.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
One of my favorite examples of foreshadowing in a game is in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion during the Dark Brotherhood questline.

Halfway through it, you start getting assassination targets and payments through dead drops.

The first two orders are written on this:

The third and onwards orders look like this:

The change is really noticeable with the letters lined up alphabetically in your inventory (e.g. "Dead Drop Orders 1", "Dead Drop Orders 2", "Dead Drop Orders 3", etc.).

The reason is that a traitor (who's totally insane) in the Dark Brotherhood switched your orders after the first two, making you kill other Dark Brotherhood members to avenge his mother.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

William Bear posted:

One of my favorite examples of foreshadowing in a game is in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion during the Dark Brotherhood questline.

Halfway through it, you start getting assassination targets and payments through dead drops.

The first two orders are written on this:

The third and onwards orders look like this:

The change is really noticeable with the letters lined up alphabetically in your inventory (e.g. "Dead Drop Orders 1", "Dead Drop Orders 2", "Dead Drop Orders 3", etc.).

The reason is that a traitor (who's totally insane) in the Dark Brotherhood switched your orders after the first two, making you kill other Dark Brotherhood members to avenge his mother.

The handwriting and manner of writing change as well.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Same Oblivion quest line: When you find the traitor's creepy Norman Bates shrine with his mother's rotting head but still don't know the identity of the traitor, if you want you can pick the head up, carry it to the next meeting with all the Dark Brotherhood bigwigs, and then drop the head on the ground. Most of the DB leadership just seems kind of confused and vaguely disgusted (or maybe they don't react at all, it's been too long since I played Oblivion), but the traitor will actually freak out for a few seconds before composing himself.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The whole Oblivion Dark Brotherhood questline is one of my favorite little things. Lucien Lachance is kickass and the early quests involve a murder mystery mansion (with a ton of different ways of splitting everyone up and killing them) and killing a guy by dropping a stuffed moose head on him (or something very similar). It's great.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Buzkashi posted:

I think the male witch doctor is by far the friendliest of the D3 gender/class combinations. Dude is just so pleased to be helping out.

The crusader female is also super nice, even her lines for when you're trying to use an ability still on cooldown are fairly chill.

The female WD is also a nudist and has hilarious conversations with the templar about it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

theshim posted:

The whole Oblivion Dark Brotherhood questline is one of my favorite little things. Lucien Lachance is kickass and the early quests involve a murder mystery mansion (with a ton of different ways of splitting everyone up and killing them) and killing a guy by dropping a stuffed moose head on him (or something very similar). It's great.

During the murder mansion straight out telling one of the victims you're there as an assassin to kill them makes her giggle, maxing out her approval rating, because she's so happy there's someone there not being all serious and mysterious. :3:

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
I've been playing Injustice: Gods Among Us which is quite fantastic and plays sort of similar to the most recent Mortal Kombat.

Check out the combo attacks/move list for Deathstroke. One thing about Deathstroke is he's all about changing up his tactics and styles, and his combos reflect that. Most characters follow (X,X,Y) for combos, but his are more like (X,Y,Z).

I thought it was a great little touch.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Mr. Kurtz posted:

Injustice: Gods Among Us

I really like some of the background interactions in the game. Most of them are fairly mundane but there's something ridiculous about The Flash hopping on a motorcycle and running your opponent over with it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

mrkillboy posted:

I really like some of the background interactions in the game. Most of them are fairly mundane but there's something ridiculous about The Flash hopping on a motorcycle and running your opponent over with it.

I like that everybody's ultimate move is some crazy complex combo, except Superman who's just like "k, you're going to space now *effortlessly uppercuts you into orbit*".

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Byzantine posted:

I like that everybody's ultimate move is some crazy complex combo, except Superman who's just like "k, you're going to space now *effortlessly uppercuts you into orbit*".

It was great until like 3 other characters borrowed that super.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

grittyreboot posted:

And rain said frogs from the sky, and throw jars of spiders, and shoot snakes from a blowgun, and throw exploding flaming skulls that have fiery ghosts in them, and summon a ghost head to barf on people, and turn enemies into exploding chickens, and summon something called a humongoid, and create a piranhado (a tornado of piranhas), or have a skilled called Toad of Hugeness...

Witch doctors are the best.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 05:27 on Jul 23, 2014

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Byzantine posted:

Its interesting to see what they could come up with that would be as devastatingly violent as the fatalities in mortal kombat, but still have a T rating, and not get in trouble with DC.

My favourite is The flash running around the world to punch the other dude in the face.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dr Christmas posted:

And rain said frogs from the sky, and throw jars of spiders, and shoot snakes from a blowgun, and throw exploding flaming skulls that have fiery ghosts in them, and summon a ghost head to barf on people, and turn enemies into exploding chickens, and summon something called a humongoid, and create a piranhado (a tornado of piranhas), or have a skilled called Toad of Hugeness...

I keep forgetting that Diablo 3 exists, have they dropped the price yet and where can I find it digitally? Blizzard.com?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Jerusalem posted:

I keep forgetting that Diablo 3 exists, have they dropped the price yet and where can I find it digitally? Blizzard.com?

Battle.net

It's $40 for the base game, but theres a free trial to play through Act 1.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

Its interesting to see what they could come up with that would be as devastatingly violent as the fatalities in mortal kombat, but still have a T rating, and not get in trouble with DC.

My favourite is The flash running around the world to punch the other dude in the face.

Aquaman impales his enemy to the floor with his trident and does some sea-themed attacks and caps it all with a shark taking you out.

Said it before, but I like how one of the alternate skins for Green Lantern is John Stewart and his voice actor is Phil Lamarr.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
This is a pretty nonspecific one, but here goes:

Something I really enjoy and appreciate in board games is that cards or widgets that come with expansions tend to have a special icon or something denoting that it wasn't a part of the base game. I really like it when video games follow suit; with stuff like the special weapons/ammo in New Vegas having a GRA tag if they came from Gun Runners' Arsenal. Or DLC maps/campaigns/whatever getting their own tab or special colored background or something.

If you mix DLC content in to the base list of game content, it feels to me like there's nothing special about it and why did I just spend my $4.99 or equivalent funbux on it?

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Agreed. A game occasionally giving me a friendly reminder that the Play Station Store is only a few button presses away at any time by highlighting installed and un-installed DLC content in-game is a great way for me to not have to worry about becoming too immersed in the game-world and story of role-playing games and forgetting the time, missing important meetings and such because of Radscorpions.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

cowboythreespeech posted:

anyway, I just found out that taunting in God Hand actually has a purpose other than making me feel like a big man: if an enemy is in range, they get heated up (i.e. they charge you and are super aggressive for a brief moment), and it also raises your tension gauge and difficulty level! No more 1.5 ratio for me. (is that ever mentioned in a tutorial and I missed it?)

It's also great for separating single enemies from a pack, so long as you know roughly what distance enemies will notice you when taunting. If you screw up, you can usually run away until they go back to their original positions.

Anyway, you want to defeat enemies while at a high level, because at the end of each chapter it tallies them up and gives a higher bonus for the higher difficulties. You also get penalties for dying and for letting other people die, like the guy bitten by a poison chihuahua, but it's never that much you lose.

It's a shame there's no new game+, where you can play through with all your late-game abilities, since the only thing that carries over are the unlockable costumes. You get them all automatically when you beat the game, and they are Ryu, Devil Hand, and Mr. Gold/Mr. Silver for Gene, and a bunny outfit for Olivia.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

It's a shame there's no new game+, where you can play through with all your late-game abilities, since the only thing that carries over are the unlockable costumes.

It's been a while since I've played god hand, but I am pretty sure that playing through after completing the game lets you buy all the late game abilities from the beginning, which isn't exactly the same as ng+ but is close enough.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Dr Christmas posted:

At launch they were even better. There wasn't a delay on attack noises with frogs, so male WDs could be an unending cacophony of "WAAGGGHHH UUUGGGHHH UUUWAAAAA" and it was amazing.

Playing the PS3 version was a disappointment because they apparently decided that witch doctors needed to be less awesome. Now there's a delay on the battle cries of frogs being sent forth. :(

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Yeah Bro posted:

It's been a while since I've played god hand, but I am pretty sure that playing through after completing the game lets you buy all the late game abilities from the beginning, which isn't exactly the same as ng+ but is close enough.

Right, but you don't keep them, which I think is what he was getting at. You need to buy them again.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
NG+ also gives you double gold, so you can save up for your lategame combo pretty fast.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Secret World is awesome so far. I'm really taking my time going around and exploring the first zone, because it's pretty big, there's a ton to do there, and (most importantly) the writing is actually pretty interesting. I particularly like some of the quest turn-in text.

But on top of it all are the Investigation Missions. Unlike standard MMORPG "collect 15 bear asses" quests, investigation missions are all about solving really obtuse puzzles. In a lot of games this would be kind of frustrating, but TSW's puzzles so far have been just the right amount level of challenging to make them really satisfying to solve.

Plus, if you get stuck there's an in-game web browser you can use to look up hints and clues, and it doesn't feel too much like cheating. My guy's a ruthless Illuminati agent, it is completely in-character for him to just google stuff on his smartphone when he needs to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a mission where you need to decode morse code. It's not necessarily the intended way to do it, but you can download a morse code app to your phone that listens and translates it live for you if you hold it up to your speakers. It makes the mission even cooler doing it that way.

Unfortunately now that the game has been out a while Googling the clues some of the missions contain just gives you the answer from fan site results.

Ryoshi posted:

Plus, if you get stuck there's an in-game web browser you can use to look up hints and clues, and it doesn't feel too much like cheating. My guy's a ruthless Illuminati agent, it is completely in-character for him to just google stuff on his smartphone when he needs to.

You're supposed to use the browser. Some of them don't contain enough information in game. Things like needing to get passage numbers from the Bible, or dates paintings were created.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yeah, I guess I meant "if you get really stuck you can just straight-up look up the answers". I had to look up that Dutch painter and the title of the psalm from the priest's missions.

Still cool to find a game that lets me solve puzzles with my otherwise completely useless knowledge of Latin vocabulary though!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The in-game browser even prioritizes stuff the developers created, I think. Was reading the first town's 'tourist guide' for way too long before it twigged that this wasn't a real place...

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah Bro posted:

Oh, that's cool. I played the PS2 version and the one released on PSN a few times, but I guess I didn't notice that all the abilities were for sale. Hopefully all the arena challenges are available from the start, because they're a good way of making money early on.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
In Dark Souls 2's new DLC, there's been a bunch of upgrades to your allies' AI. They use items, taunt, and will even bow when killing a boss. :3:

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

They said they weren't going to do DLC for DS2. I'm super glad (and not surprised) they decided against that.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

poptart_fairy posted:

In Dark Souls 2's new DLC, there's been a bunch of upgrades to your allies' AI. They use items, taunt, and will even bow when killing a boss. :3:

One of the red phantoms even does a taunt if he kills you, it's fantastic.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I got totally burned out on DS2's changes and now there are 3 scheduled DLC packs? Boooo (2spooky4me2buy)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just bought EDF 2025, this is serious GOTY material right here, its just pure distilled fun, the dialogue is just the best.

"This will be a very lopsided battle, because giant insects can't fly!"

I opted to start as a wing diver, the all female flying unit and holy poo poo, just zipping around the map is amazing. You also look absolutely ridiculous as you have holographic anime pigtails tails that grow like 7 feet when you're flying around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006
I like how about 2 screens away from the very starting point of Riven, there is a little machine that would destroy the universe if you fiddled with it too much.

Seems like a great way to introduce new players to the game, and also give my 10-year-old self nightmares