Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Noto's art makes me smile uncontrollably just looking at it. He's a former Disney animator who used to live here in Orlando and do a lot of signings at the local comic shops. I love how he draws inspiration from retro movie posters, album covers, fashion illustration, and advertising, as opposed to so many other comic artists who have only been influenced by other comic artists. His women are suitably gorgeous, but I love that he can draw people in nice CLOTHING, as opposed to the usual skin-tight, painted-on costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He drew the now internet famous retro Marvel family photos stuff:

This is also my favorite image of Clint and Natasha:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

zoux posted:

This is also my favorite image of Clint and Natasha:

Between David Aja and Noto, I really wish Alan Tudyk had played Hawkeye in the movies instead of Jeremy Renner.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like everything about Noto's art except his faces. Which is to say he draws two: male and female.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I like everything about Noto's art except his faces. Which is to say he draws two: male and female.

Really I think that his female faces are well distinguished actually.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

I just realized that the reporters are Clark, Lois, and Jimmy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

His tumblr is really good too: http://philnoto.tumblr.com/

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 18, 2014

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

zoux posted:

His tumblr is really good too: http://philnoto.tumblr.com/

So... Pink for Carol Danvers?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

zoux posted:

Really I think that his female faces are well distinguished actually.

They're expressive, but it's like he can draw only one jawline and set of features. I mean I get why and it's not uncommon for most comic artists, but it stands out a bit with him because the rest of his style is so individualized from drawing to drawing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

WWE Superstars is drawn by a guy named Puste who is so bad that I was able to make a top 10 list out of a single issue.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think you're being really, really generous when you describe it as only half traced.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Gavok posted:

WWE Superstars is drawn by a guy named Puste who is so bad that I was able to make a top 10 list out of a single issue.

oooh yeah baby i'm loving your armpit and licking your ear is that erotic for you???

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Something that terrible deserves its own avatar, free to a good home:

edit: And alt-text "I can't even tell you what I was thinking".

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 22, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's amazing how little that looks like Mark Henry.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's James Avery in his final, and finest, role, appearing posthumously as former world heavyweight champion Mark Henry.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Something that terrible deserves its own avatar, free to a good home:

edit: And alt-text "I can't even tell you what I was thinking".

If I remotely cared about WWE I would gladly pick this up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

How'd he do that with his hand? Or is that his superpower or some poo poo?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I think he's just rubbing that guy's nipple really, really fast.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BiggerBoat posted:

Speedforce.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

mind the walrus posted:

They're expressive, but it's like he can draw only one jawline and set of features. I mean I get why and it's not uncommon for most comic artists, but it stands out a bit with him because the rest of his style is so individualized from drawing to drawing.

There's definitely a sameness to the faces but... his artwork is otherwise gorgeous, and with so much I've seen being crap I'll give him a pass.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

bobkatt013 posted:

Speedforce.

The very hypothetical idea of Brock Lesnar having control over the Speedforce is going to keep me up at night because we'd all be so hosed.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't think Frank Miller's 80's stuff gets enough love. At the time, I remember disliking his stuff because it didn't look real enough and that's all I cared about then but his work on Daredevil, Ronin and the Dark Knight Returns is really loving great.

So is his Sin City stuff but for different reasons. I'm lukewarm on the stories but I love the way he defines shapes, light and texture without drawing lines around everything. He seems to have gotten sloppier as he's aged but the way he composed panels on a page and could tell a story without even having to read it was pretty revolutionary.

I'm coming up short finding good examples of it though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

There's definitely a sameness to the faces but... his artwork is otherwise gorgeous, and with so much I've seen being crap I'll give him a pass.

He doesn't need no pass. You can admit an artist has a weakness without tossing him in the poo poo bin.

crosshatch
Dec 10, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Phil Noto: Making a career out of drawing Courteney Cox over and over.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't think Frank Miller's 80's stuff gets enough love. At the time, I remember disliking his stuff because it didn't look real enough and that's all I cared about then but his work on Daredevil, Ronin and the Dark Knight Returns is really loving great.

So is his Sin City stuff but for different reasons. I'm lukewarm on the stories but I love the way he defines shapes, light and texture without drawing lines around everything. He seems to have gotten sloppier as he's aged but the way he composed panels on a page and could tell a story without even having to read it was pretty revolutionary.

I'm coming up short finding good examples of it though.

His entire Wolverine mini.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Gavok posted:

I'm having a miserable day/week/month and this cheered me up so, so much. Thank you.

I think the giant potato behind the podium is supposed to be Alberto Del Rio.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So, I just looked at the preview pages for Transformers Vs GI Joe #1, out today..
and..

I've never spent $3.99 faster.

https://www.comixology.com/Transformers-vs-G-I-Joe-1/digital-comic/121629

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tom Scioli is the hero we need. :allears:

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008
I wasn't interested in this series until I saw the FCBD issue that came out earlier this year.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I used to have every issue of Marvel's G.I. Joe and Transformers series, but I never would have sought out this new book if not for Scioli's art in the FCBD issue. I can't stop looking at his layouts, and he's obviously a big fan of both properties. Since then, I checked his American Barbarian book out from the public library, and it's definitely required reading if you like his art here.

Was Godland any good? I'm sure his art is pretty, but is it a worthwhile read?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I used to have every issue of Marvel's G.I. Joe and Transformers series, but I never would have sought out this new book if not for Scioli's art in the FCBD issue. I can't stop looking at his layouts, and he's obviously a big fan of both properties. Since then, I checked his American Barbarian book out from the public library, and it's definitely required reading if you like his art here.

Was Godland any good? I'm sure his art is pretty, but is it a worthwhile read?
I have the first two trades but I haven't even finished the first one yet. I was reading under unfavorable circumstances(kept getting interrupted) but I just couldn't get into it. I gotta go back and give it another chance though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait, are you telling me that's NEW artwork?! Holy gently caress

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm seriously not sure which I'm more impressed with, the linework or the coloring-- both are note perfect.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sorry if I'm being :thejoke: but you are all being sarcastic, right?

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 25, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I just bought the issue and it's everything I dreamed it would be. :allears:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Doing that kind-of style parody is a lot harder than it looks.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Have you read American Barbarian or any of Tom Scioli's other stuff? It sounds like he kind of idolizes Kirby and has consciously pushed himself to draw similarly. I don't think it's accurate to call it a parody when that is all he does, and it's not meant in jest or mockery.

E: The coloring in TF vs Joe does remind me a lot of the 80's comics, but the linework is all Tom's style.

Phy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 25, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

gently caress you if you don't think that poo poo looks rad.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Phy posted:

Have you read American Barbarian or any of Tom Scioli's other stuff? It sounds like he kind of idolizes Kirby and has consciously pushed himself to draw similarly. I don't think it's accurate to call it a parody when that is all he does, and it's not meant in jest or mockery.

E: The coloring in TF vs Joe does remind me a lot of the 80's comics, but the linework is all Tom's style.

I think it's safe to say that he idolizes Kirby. You don't get that good at aping the old master's style unless you've got an irrational boner for the guy.

I was more referring to the TF vs Joe comic as a kind-of parody of 80s style comics. That said yeah it's not fair to call him a parody if that's his genuine style, which I wasn't aware of. Great artist though. I wish him the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

I think it's safe to say that he idolizes Kirby. You don't get that good at aping the old master's style unless you've got an irrational boner for the guy.

I was more referring to the TF vs Joe comic as a kind-of parody of 80s style comics. That said yeah it's not fair to call him a parody if that's his genuine style, which I wasn't aware of. Great artist though. I wish him the best.
You should check out Godland!