Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theadder
Dec 30, 2011

he lost access to a catte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
No more Haruhi Suzumiya

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

theadder posted:

he lost access to a catte

catcess

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

they should move all apps w/ iap out of the free section of the store. label them paid with demo.

well iap isnt the same as demo or whatever coz a lot of doze games u can play by trying hard and spending hours. you dont HAVE to spend money gen erally

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

yeah and a lot of iap apps just sell an ad-free option or other minor convenience/feature. just label them "free with in-app purchases"

however an actual demos section that let's you play and then download the game would slightly lower the number of pay-to-win games by giving developers that option

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
well life is pay to win but nobody decent plays or makes these lovely games anyway so who cares

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

They should no longer call them "games"

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

quote:

Take for instance Silicon Valley and geeks in general. We desperately need an exit from this awful society. But that’s only because:
Geeks are diasporic nation that’s been unified by the Internet.
We’ve grown powerful thanks to the tech industry.
America is in a uncontrolled nosedive decline.
Every nation that currently exists, treats us like garbage.

MORE CURLY FRIES fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 22, 2014

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

oh justice :allears:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

oh auto correct :allears:

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

shed be funny if an alarming amount of people didnt agree with her

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
pay-to-win garbage really grinds my gears

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
also pay-to-not-grind

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
which is sort of ironic, i guess

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
try being a school teacher

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

tbh if you have a job which allows you to blog about your political ideals and not live in poverty and poo poo post on twitter all the time you cant really argue that you are oppressed or under appreciated

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

i dont mean that in a 'omg what about the **REAL** problems' i mean have some loving perspective your persistently persecuted dumb dumb

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

sorry hang on just remembered she was an advocate of google glass being a mechanism for social change

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

that person is exceptionally skilled at making me angry as gently caress

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PleasureKevin posted:

yeah and a lot of iap apps just sell an ad-free option or other minor convenience/feature. just label them "free with in-app purchases"

however an actual demos section that let's you play and then download the game would slightly lower the number of pay-to-win games by giving developers that option

make all iaps non-consumable. No-ads, DLC, and custom skins ok, credits you spend to skip a level not ok.

99.9% of every app store would disappear overnight.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

if you regulated iap stuff people will find a way to work around it to get their existing business model of pay to grind into a dlc type thing or something

im not saying its not worth trying but whatever solution you do will have people trying to sneak past it

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
over here techie is short for technician
not technology fetishist idiot

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

if you regulated iap stuff people will find a way to work around it to get their existing business model of pay to grind into a dlc type thing or something

im not saying its not worth trying but whatever solution you do will have people trying to sneak past it

well yeah of course. the difference is that the apple app store wouldn't be filled with pay to win bullshit.

google play totally would be because they can't even be assed to strip out all the malware much less checking the functionality of the applications

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
look you need some way to to make money off of your version of a 2004 newgrounds portal submission and it sure as poo poo isn't gonna happen by being honest about your intentions
some people are willing to sit next to the old guy who smells like piss and dispair just the play some slots so you can count on people paying for a garbage experience for sure so long as you frame it right

AtomD fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 22, 2014

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i like this game so much i'll pay $4.99 not to have to play it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AtomD posted:

look you need some way to to make money off of your version of a 2004 newgrounds portal submission and it sure as poo poo isn't gonna happen by being honest about your intentions
some people are willing to sit next to the old guy who smells like piss and dispair just the play some slots so you can count on people paying for a garbage experience for sure so long as you frame it right

i'm not even sure you need to frame it right, see flappy bird

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
are people who buy iaps treated with the same revulsion as waddle-walks who stuff their faces at every given opportunity even though it gives them no joy cause

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

i like this game so much i'll pay $4.99 not to have to play it

wish i could do this four your posts

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Avenging Dentist posted:

old but my fave part of this is that the reasoning for why this was ok was that flash and friends were already doing it and so chrome would be ok doing it too, since the system timer would already be set to 1ms: https://www.belshe.com/2010/06/04/chrome-cranking-up-the-clock/

which sounds reasonable for a second but then you realize that the system timer affects thread scheduling across the entire os, so if your argument is "other things are already doing it" then there's no loving reason for you to ALSO do it

the thing is wmp doesn't actually gently caress the poo poo out of your cpu (its also probably used as an exclusive app 90% of the time, but w/e) because its using those timers sensibly. IE9+ also can use high resolution timers and manages to be more efficient than chrome.

chrome is just garbage because goog's solution to websites being bad and bad javascript destroying your cpu because of the higher frequency timers is to just run it all in separate processes from the UI process. This way they appear responsive while actively eating all your cpu behind the scenes. Microsoft's tack with IE has been to throttle the site and preserve the cpu for other things running on the os.

also IE adds the ability for the user to configure the timer via the system power settings which means you can tie it to a general system performance profile instead of just kind of hiding it away where no one will notice for years.

theres actually a pretty good response to that blog that points out how stupid chrome's approach is and that correctly predicted all the performance problems it would create.

tl;dr:

juan posted:

What you are basically doing is making poorly written pages run faster at the expense of the rest of the system (both the performance of other tasks, and energy consumption).

idiot googler who wrote the article posted:

This is not a tradeoff to make other applications run more slowly. If it is, please provide a benchmark to demonstrate.

lol. everyone whos used chrome since has felt that tradeoff.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

free w/ ads should be the demo version of a paid app. then you can upgrade to the full app to get rid of ads.

then put treadmill currency games in their own section away from everything else so no one but the idiots who use those apps have to look at them.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Shaggar posted:

chrome is just garbage because goog's solution to websites being bad and bad javascript destroying your cpu because of the higher frequency timers is to just run it all in separate processes from the UI process. This way they appear responsive while actively eating all your cpu behind the scenes. Microsoft's tack with IE has been to throttle the site and preserve the cpu for other things running on the os.

shaggar was right

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

free w/ ads should be the demo version of a paid app. then you can upgrade to the full app to get rid of ads.

then put treadmill currency games in their own section away from everything else so no one but the idiots who use those apps have to look at them.

yeah this

i've stopped even considering looking in the app store for any games because those lovely games now seem to dominate both the "free" and "paid" categories

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also re: chrome stupidity: a linuxtard was smugging out in that blog entry over not understanding timers in windows and how in Linux they had already setup the high frequency timers so I bet osx chrome has been hosed up like this since the beginning. no one has ever noticed though, because using a single application very slowly is osx SOP

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

also re: chrome stupidity: a linuxtard was smugging out in that blog entry over not understanding timers in windows and how in Linux they had already setup the high frequency timers so I bet osx chrome has been hosed up like this since the beginning. no one has ever noticed though, because using a single application very slowly is osx SOP

you down with s-o-p?

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

prefect posted:

you down with s-o-p?

yeah you know me

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah this

i've stopped even considering looking in the app store for any games because those lovely games now seem to dominate both the "free" and "paid" categories

yeah forums superstar eli "io_burn" hodapp runs an iOS game-themed app review site that's better than the app store

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol if you think apple can afford to let the smurfs, tiny tower, or the Kim kardashian game be android exclusive.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The Management posted:

Kim kardashian game

what in the gently caress

is it like "make a vlog of you being a useless cocksnot"

yeah i sign my posts

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

flakeloaf posted:

what in the gently caress

is it like "make a vlog of you being a useless cocksnot"

yeah i sign my posts

wow, sexist much? mods ban this fucktard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

sorry i was not aware that being a useless cocksnot was an exclusively female phenomenon

seriousposting though she is a worthless human and i have no idea what a video game about her life would even be

• Locked thread