Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Annath posted:

I'm reading all the posts here, and feeling a bit confused. What exactly should I be doing before I hit max level, other than leveling? I don't really know what all this game has going on :v:

1) Story quests

2) GC quests

3) Unlock your choco

Pretty much everything you need to unlock comes naturally if you're doing your story and GC quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

bonewitch posted:

Once you hit 50 the only things that are mandatory are the Hildibrand quests and your relic quest.

You would probably also want to grab most of the level 50 quests around Revenant's Toll to unlock all your hard mode dungeons.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Annath posted:

I'm reading all the posts here, and feeling a bit confused. What exactly should I be doing before I hit max level, other than leveling? I don't really know what all this game has going on :v:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2a8mmn/so_you_just_hit_level_50_in_patch_23/

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm doing a quest "Lords of the Inferno" and I'm having a bit of difficulty. For one thing, my targeting keeps getting pulled back to the big Chief dude, even when I lock it onto a minion dude. For another, I feel like there are a TON of enemies. Is this supposed to be a group quest? I'm level 21 if that matters.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Annath posted:

I'm doing a quest "Lords of the Inferno" and I'm having a bit of difficulty. For one thing, my targeting keeps getting pulled back to the big Chief dude, even when I lock it onto a minion dude. For another, I feel like there are a TON of enemies. Is this supposed to be a group quest? I'm level 21 if that matters.

Let the NPCS tank the enemies while you pick them off one by one.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Annath posted:

What job are you using? I'm pretty sure that that particular battle just requires you to survive for a certain amount of time.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm a Lancer at the moment. I feel like it'd be better if I picked off the little guys, but like I said my target keeps getting drawn back to the big chief dude. Is there a setting I might have ticked somewhere that might cause this?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Annath posted:

I'm a Lancer at the moment. I feel like it'd be better if I picked off the little guys, but like I said my target keeps getting drawn back to the big chief dude. Is there a setting I might have ticked somewhere that might cause this?

If you're using a controller, you have to lock your new target with A/whatever playstation controllers use for their select button or else your target will return to your previous target once you use an ability.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

kharaa posted:

If you're using a controller, you have to lock your new target with A/whatever playstation controllers use for their select button or else your target will return to your previous target once you use an ability.

Thats very useful to know, thanks!

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
As a Bard how much ACC do I need if I'm not running second coil? My playtime schedule varies enough that trying to get into coil2 is going to be more hassle than I can manage. I'm at 513 (http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/7575334/) right now, but I wouldn't mind taking a hit for more crit or something as long as I don't start missing things.

Annath posted:

Thats very useful to know, thanks!
To add to this, if you're locked onto something you can cycle through targets with left/right on the d-pad. Alternatively hitting O a few times to completely clear your targeting then having your camera pointed at the intended target as best you can helps.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 22, 2014

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Ouhei posted:

As a Bard how much ACC do I need if I'm not running second coil? My playtime schedule varies enough that trying to get into coil2 is going to be more hassle than I can manage. I'm at 513 (http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/7575334/) right now, but I wouldn't mind taking a hit for more crit or something as long as I don't start missing things.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/278dx2/accuracy_cap_for_everything_coil_19/

T5/Levi/Moogle have 486/472 so you have loads of breathing room.

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

bonewitch posted:

/r/ffxiv/comments/278dx2/accuracy_cap_for_everything_coil_19

Oh good lord

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I feel I owe an apology for all the Scholar bashing I've done. Ground out Arcanist from 46 to 50 yesterday, and did a little healing while working on the Summoner relic requirements (got Zenith :woop:). Surprisingly fun to play Scholar, now that I actually have all the tools. Wouldn't wanna ever do low-level roulette as them though, that's for sure, and I'm not sure I like them more than WHM, but it's definitely a fun class after all!

Also the SCH 50 quest was pretty great, as job quests go it might be the best I've seen (and I've seen all but Bard and Paladin, neither of which I'm expecting much from), at least among war/magic classes. I feel terrible doing Wanderer's Palace now though :smith:

(edit) And I see why Scholars slobber over crit so much, now. Those Adlo crits :stare:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 22, 2014

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Annath posted:

Your class and job quests, unlocking your chocobo and dyeing, that sort of thing.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Ciaphas posted:

I feel I owe an apology for all the Scholar bashing I've done. Ground out Arcanist from 46 to 50 yesterday, and did a little healing while working on the Summoner relic requirements (got Zenith :woop:). Surprisingly fun to play Scholar, now that I actually have all the tools. Wouldn't wanna ever do low-level roulette as them though, that's for sure.

Also the SCH 50 quest was pretty great, as job quests go it might be the best I've seen (and I've seen all but Bard and Paladin, neither of which I'm expecting much from), at least among war/magic classes. I feel terrible doing Wanderer's Palace now though :smith:

SCH owns in low-level roulette dude you can literally just /follow the tank and go afk

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

bonewitch posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/278dx2/accuracy_cap_for_everything_coil_19/

T5/Levi/Moogle have 486/472 so you have loads of breathing room.

Interesting, it's a shame that most of the parts that would be easier/possible to swap out carry the largest amount of ACC on them (Bow, Chest) so it's hard to get rid of them without taking a huge dip.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

bonewitch posted:

SCH owns in low-level roulette dude you can literally just /follow the tank and go afk

Yeah, LL roulette as a scholar is awesome. Every dungeon before Cutter's Cry you're just an extra DPS. Eos is way overpowered for all sub level 30 dungeons. Even in the ones higher than that if you have enough gear Eos can handle it all. I think Stone Vigil is really the first one as a SCH that you actually have to focus on healing, and that's mostly dependent on your party.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Stufoo posted:

Oh good lord

Got anything more accurate than crowdsourced Reddit info then, that you could copy/paste or link to? An implication that you know better doesn't actually accomplish much in a conversation, except to make jackasses like me ask for a follow-up with more details.

If it motivates or demotivates you, I'm more curious on general principles of how mechanics work, rather than planning to put it into practice personally. (Yeah yeah, I'm weird that I like understanding algorithms more than slaying pixel dragons.)

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, LL roulette as a scholar is awesome. Every dungeon before Cutter's Cry you're just an extra DPS. Eos is way overpowered for all sub level 30 dungeons. Even in the ones higher than that if you have enough gear Eos can handle it all. I think Stone Vigil is really the first one as a SCH that you actually have to focus on healing, and that's mostly dependent on your party.

I would agree; low level scholar runs you can basically go cleric stance and DPS 90% of the time. There are certainly exceptions in certain fights (last fight of Brayflox is potentially hairy as you have no poison cures) but unless the party is taking disproportionate damage you are basically a DPS character with a healer queue.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
How long does it take to get the Seals/macguffins for a mount?

What do I do with a Linkshell? Is it like a mini-guild?

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Annath posted:

How long does it take to get the Seals/macguffins for a mount?

What do I do with a Linkshell? Is it like a mini-guild?

Not long honestly, at your level you can use some Grand Company leves to get some seals if you wanna rush it. Otherwise just do some fates here and there and you'll be at 2k seals before you know it. I think Guildhests might give some as well, and you should stay on top of those if you haven't been doing them.

As for linkshells, they serve as a mini collective chat so people normally use them to stay in direct contact with their static, other groups they're a part of, or their friends (so they can talk about how much they hate everyone and themselves in private!)

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

The true question is which of the two Tank mounts is better?

wait, tank mounts?

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Zero The Hero posted:

wait, tank mounts?

Smart Car posted:

That's what I recommend.

Bear is Warrior, Lion is Paladin. You have to tank 200 end-game content (ex-primals, Coil 1, Coil 2) to get the achievement. Correct me if I'm wrong on the ex-primals but I think they count.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
How does SCH compensate for all the attribute points put into intelligence when ACN was being lvled?

Or was I just dumb in the first place when I was lvling ACN

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Ohh, that's why I haven't seen them, they're in achievements. I'm still a long way from that.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

How does SCH compensate for all the attribute points put into intelligence when ACN was being lvled?

You can respec stat points for 10,000 GC seals.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It doesn't. You can, however, get those attribute points reset by spending 10k company seals if you intend to play career Scholar over Summoner.

And yes Ciaphas, the SCH50 quest was great. I wish Tonberrires and the Rancor were always portrayed in such a tragic/menacing fashion.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

If you plan on playing sch exclusively or near-exclusively (and not play smn very much at all), just respec those points into mind. It costs 10k grand company seals to do so.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Zero The Hero posted:

Ohh, that's why I haven't seen them, they're in achievements. I'm still a long way from that.

Don't feel bad, most of the people that have them also purposely spammed content to get it. I barely have 100 done since I hadn't needed to do much t1-5 or extremes since they came out

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

bonewitch posted:

Doing WHM in low level dungeons is so horrible after playing SCH. You actually have to watch the screen and press buttons. :sigh:

I wish I could get XP for other jobs playing SCH. Best levelling class.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

It doesn't. Your attribute points are per class, ACN has to choose to either go int and be a subpar healer or mind and be a subpar dps.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Arcanists kind of get shafted since they need to choose what stat to put points into before they might even know that they have two different roles that they can choose from. Luckily there is that 10k seal reset button but it's kind of dumb that that trap is even there to begin with.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

Don't feel bad, most of the people that have them also purposely spammed content to get it. I barely have 100 done since I hadn't needed to do much t1-5 or extremes since they came out

I am a Warrior main, though. I just haven't had the gear to run high enough dungeons to count, I think.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
If you're healing on SCH in low level roulette, you're doing it wrong, your DPS is standing in fire, or your tank needs to seriously beef up his gear. You should be able to almost always full time cleric stance your way through low level dungeons, Eos is that OP.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

jwang posted:

If you're healing on SCH in low level roulette, you're doing it wrong, your DPS is standing in fire, or your tank needs to seriously beef up his gear. You should be able to almost always full time cleric stance your way through low level dungeons, Eos is that OP.

I put all my bonus attributes into int and until I hit 40+ and got actual mind heavy gear, I did more dps out of cleric stance than in it. :v:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Zero The Hero posted:

I am a Warrior main, though. I just haven't had the gear to run high enough dungeons to count, I think.

It only counts coil and extreme primals.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

SpazmasterX posted:

Yeah, that's how I got mine. Though if you're going to spam, don't underestimate it. "I'll just spam T4! :sun:"
It's not that easy. 20% of the time even with the recent Echo boost I'd have 30 minute wipefest T4's. Farm groups? Those aren't so much "farm" as they are "completely ignore the definition of farm" groups. Usually not worth the trouble. The way I did it is queued T1-4 and an Extreme primal if I was really tired of the monotony.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

jwang posted:

If you're healing on SCH, you're doing it wrong

:v:

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
So I was thinking of getting back into this, but I'm going to be moving to Italy. I assume from the apparent lack of "Euro" goon guilds in the OP that there's a mix of timezones playing in PBC on Excalibur?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

sound_again posted:

So I was thinking of getting back into this, but I'm going to be moving to Italy. I assume from the apparent lack of "Euro" goon guilds in the OP that there's a mix of timezones playing in PBC on Excalibur?

The "European" servers are basically in the same building as North America servers, so it doesn't really matter. As far as I know most European Goons play on Excalibur as well.

• Locked thread