Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

MindlessHavok posted:

Snowpiercer: The entire end of the movie. Curtis stops the engine, wrecking the train and killing everyone on board. Except for an ~18 year old girl and a ~5 year old boy who have never been off the train. They are literally the only people left alive on earth at this point. Now what? They walk off the train and see a polar bear (who I half expected to hold up a Coke and smile) and then it fades to black. There's no way they end up living or repopulating the earth. This movie left me with so many questions.

How did it get so many positive reviews?

I thought it was pretty obvious. It's not that we ruined earth's ability to sustain life, it's that we ruined its ability to sustain us. Life goes on without us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Taeke posted:

I thought it was pretty obvious. It's not that we ruined earth's ability to sustain life, it's that we ruined its ability to sustain us. Life goes on without us.

Okay fair enough but when the whole plot is We're tired of being oppressed, we need to take over the engine! Then, you kill everyone on board it loses a little steam. (heh)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"The truth is somewhere in the middle."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

Okay this segues directly into something that always bugs me - super advance civilisations that look like primitive ones. The Asgardians have all this super tech but hide it behind a seemingly primitive facade.

It's like a race where steampunk won.

In theory their stuff has looked like that for thousands of years so for a long time it was super advanced.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

MindlessHavok posted:

Snowpiercer: The entire end of the movie. Curtis stops the engine, wrecking the train and killing everyone on board. Except for an ~18 year old girl and a ~5 year old boy who have never been off the train. They are literally the only people left alive on earth at this point. Now what? They walk off the train and see a polar bear (who I half expected to hold up a Coke and smile) and then it fades to black. There's no way they end up living or repopulating the earth. This movie left me with so many questions.

If it helps any, in the original graphic novel there's actually a second train exact opposite of the Snowpiercer on the track. So there's hope for humanity. Though they're just as hosed up a society, so...

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Okay this segues directly into something that always bugs me - super advance civilisations that look like primitive ones. The Asgardians have all this super tech but hide it behind a seemingly primitive facade.

It's like a race where steampunk won.

This is so much more frustrating in the second movie. The Dark Elves are wrecking poo poo until Odin shows up and laser spears a bunch of them. Before that it was Dark Elves using guns and black hole grenades and the Asgardians are loving around with a sword and shield phalanx.

Odin has a giant gently caress off laser! Maybe make more than one of those instead of swords!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Razorwired posted:

This is so much more frustrating in the second movie. The Dark Elves are wrecking poo poo until Odin shows up and laser spears a bunch of them. Before that it was Dark Elves using guns and black hole grenades and the Asgardians are loving around with a sword and shield phalanx.

Odin has a giant gently caress off laser! Maybe make more than one of those instead of swords!

I don't disagree with your point but weapons like Mjölnir and Gungnir (Odin's spear) are unique items that were nearly impossible to create. Thor also has an unbreakable axe that is almost as rare. That being said, they show that they have lasers all over the place but I dunno, maybe it's ~~~~~~~~~~~*honor*~~~~~~~~~~~

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MindlessHavok posted:

Because the preceding two hours are awesome. I wasn't big on the ending either.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I don't disagree with your point but weapons like Mjölnir and Gungnir (Odin's spear) are unique items that were nearly impossible to create. Thor also has an unbreakable axe that is almost as rare. That being said, they show that they have lasers all over the place but I dunno, maybe it's ~~~~~~~~~~~*honor*~~~~~~~~~~~

Well except that they were easily able to make another Mjolnir.

But other than that one time.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

MindlessHavok posted:

Okay fair enough but when the whole plot is We're tired of being oppressed, we need to take over the engine! Then, you kill everyone on board it loses a little steam. (heh)

Their society is too horrible to sustain, no matter who's in charge. Throughout the whole movie the protagonists are nearly as violent and vicious as their enemies, but being the underdogs, they get to imagine everything would be okay if they were running the show instead. In the last part, the revolution has apparently succeeded, but then they discover the extinct train parts are being replaced with children; proof that their society can't exist without a literal underclass of miserable slaves. So he's like 'gently caress it let's just die'

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
I've been on a Michael Mann kick after watching Collateral, and I don't know if it's just me but the endings of both that and Heat completely pissed me off. I guess in both movies it was supposed to be like a Western style showdown between the good and bad guys, at night, where a light source brings down the bad guy, in opposition to having a gun fight at high noon . I think all in all I was just attached to the characters and to have the movies end like that was a real downer.

Also, Al Pacino's acting in Heat was somewhere between irrationally irritating and completely awesome.

Even so, I'm looking forward to Manhunter if no other reason than Mann's awesome use of lighting.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Mr. Kurtz posted:

I've been on a Michael Mann kick after watching Collateral, and I don't know if it's just me but the endings of both that and Heat completely pissed me off. I guess in both movies it was supposed to be like a Western style showdown between the good and bad guys, at night, where a light source brings down the bad guy, in opposition to having a gun fight at high noon . I think all in all I was just attached to the characters and to have the movies end like that was a real downer.

Also, Al Pacino's acting in Heat was somewhere between irrationally irritating and completely awesome.

Even so, I'm looking forward to Manhunter if no other reason than Mann's awesome use of lighting.

I dunno, I always liked how in the Mann movies, someone always dies at the end. That's kind of how the world they're set in tends to be - there's no clear good or bad guy (well aside from Collateral, which is kind of an outlier), and if people are gunning for each other, which they usually are - one's gonna die. A happy ending where everyone lives and the bad guy gets redeemed in some way just wouldn't fit. Unless you're talking about Vincent shooting the ponytailed police detective who was trying to help Max, in which case I kinda agree. Then again I'm a giant Mann apologist and unabashedly love all his movies.

If you want a Michael Mann movie where only shitheads die in the ending shootout, try the Miami Vice remake :v:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr. Kurtz posted:

In Collateral, it's not a light source that kills Vincent. He sticks with the same shots he had used all movie, which are stopped by the closing doors. Max improvises and sprays wildly, and the rounds go through the window and kill Vincent. Improvising vs. sticking with routine are a running theme in that movie. I really liked how it played out.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I thought it was the lights flashing too. All through the movie he talks about getting lucky with the lights.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Mr. Kurtz posted:

I think there was a cut subplot in the movie where Pacino was addicted to cocaine. It would explain that, and most of his other performances over the last 20 years.

Mann finally has a new movie coming out in January, so I'm excited for that.

Just thinking about the show Fringe, and reminds me of something I see a lot. Whenever the FBI or whatever needs to go in to a dangerous situation in a building, it's always the main character out in front leading the charge. Almost always they have nothing but a windbreaker on. Yeah, lets just keep the guys with body armour and ballistic shields toward the back of the line.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It was a good show but drat did it have it's cringe inducing moments, that being one of em.

One of the major things for me was "See? The blood is blue! That means that the victim died of suffocation!"

No, genius doctor who can open wormholes into other universes, it means someone hosed up the research on the show and humans have never had blue blood.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It was a good show but drat did it have it's cringe inducing moments, that being one of em.

One of the major things for me was "See? The blood is blue! That means that the victim died of suffocation!"

No, genius doctor who can open wormholes into other universes, it means someone hosed up the research on the show and humans have never had blue blood.

Do you mean the blood still looked blue even outside the body?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yup, cut open the chest and this smurf blue liquid came out, which OBVIOUSLY means the victim suffocated!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dr_Amazing posted:

I thought it was the lights flashing too. All through the movie he talks about getting lucky with the lights.

He says that as a reason he got there so fast at the beginning,but it was actually because he had the best routes memorized from years of cabbying.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

In Collateral, it's not a light source that kills Vincent. He sticks with the same shots he had used all movie, which are stopped by the closing doors. Max improvises and sprays wildly, and the rounds go through the window and kill Vincent. Improvising vs. sticking with routine are a running theme in that movie. I really liked how it played out.

Actually, that makes a lot of sense. Do you have an interpretation why he ends his movies in areas of transit? I wondered if it had something to do with Vincent and Neil being shuttled to the afterlife.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

muscles like this? posted:

While not exactly "bad" per se, it is kind of goofy how quickly Sam and Dean can perfectly dig out graves in Supernatural.

Every time I see this or any grave digging I want these people to come out here. The top six inches is pretty much dirty maybe even some times a full foot of soil! After that though its nothing but caliche. Digging through that poo poo with a shovel and pickaxe takes hours

One that always gets me. blood, not gun shot blood, mass stabbing blood or CGI blood but murder scene blood. Murder scene could be hours old or even a day but its still a nice red some times even cherry red and some one can still wipe it off onto their fingers.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I thought that the TV show Psych did a great job of taking the piss out of the all-knowing, magic analysis detective trope. But I've recently learned of the existence of The Mentalist, which is basically like Psych but totally serious. Yes, he can magically tell what you're thinking because of your face. Good job, TV show

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Nostradingus posted:

I thought that the TV show Psych did a great job of taking the piss out of the all-knowing, magic analysis detective trope. But I've recently learned of the existence of The Mentalist, which is basically like Psych but totally serious. Yes, he can magically tell what you're thinking because of your face. Good job, TV show

The Show "Lie to Me" is hilarious for this. The first episode has the face-reading guy watching a con giving off glaringly obvious facial cues. The genius face reader manages to pick up on the fact that the guy is lying or nervous when he scrunches up his face and licks his lips when he lies.

EDIT: I found the scene

Jaramin has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Jul 23, 2014

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Nostradingus posted:

The Mentalist isn't magical powers... at least I don't think it is. The main character used to be a TV show psychic and uses his abilities from cold reading to manipulate people into confessing to crimes.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
That show also has one episode where all the psych experts keep referring to the fairly common and easily Google-able drug, venlafaxine (aka Effexor), as "venlaxafine".

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

The Mentalist isn't magical powers... at least I don't think it is. The main character used to be a TV show psychic and uses his abilities from cold reading to manipulate people into confessing to crimes.

More like he uses bad writing to luckily stand in front of the bad guy and then absolute dickishness to force a confession from them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Stottie Kyek posted:

That show also has one episode where all the psych experts keep referring to the fairly common and easily Google-able drug, venlafaxine (aka Effexor), as "venlaxafine".

So they call it by the chemical name instead of the name that I assume would cost them money?

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Len posted:

So they call it by the chemical name instead of the name that I assume would cost them money?

ven-LAF-AX-ine vs. ven-LAX-AF-ine

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

Now, I only watched the first episode of The Mentalist but unlike Psych where they explain where Shawn gets all his clues, The Mentalist guy would just say stuff and people would go "wow, you're right!"

It could have just been a first episode thing but it was enough to make me not want to watch the show.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Fizbin posted:

Yeah. I was just including one of its brand names to show how widely-used the drug is; everyone with an interest in psychiatry or psychology would have heard of it, unless they were a bunch of quacks as I suspect the Lightman Group were in that show. Tim Roth usually plays criminals and double-crossers anyway, it would be a nice twist if it turned out that Cal Lightman really was a big fraud the whole time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fizbin posted:

Reading comprehension is apparently a thing I lack.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Nostradingus posted:

The best part is after The Mentalist came out, Psych started making fun of it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr. Kurtz posted:

Actually, that makes a lot of sense. Do you have an interpretation why he ends his movies in areas of transit? I wondered if it had something to do with Vincent and Neil being shuttled to the afterlife.

I don't know about Heat, but in Collateral, I saw it more as putting both characters out of their element- the showdown happens on public transit. Max is a cab driver. Vincent's MO is using cab drivers to go from hit to hit. For all of Vincent's talk about improvising through the movie, when you take him out of his element, he falls back on the same bag of tricks. When you take Max out of his routine, he's actually quite capable of improvising..

Collateral is one of my favorites, I must have seen it ten or fifteen times over the years.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Stottie Kyek posted:

My favorite scene from Law & Order: SVU involves midazolam with the street name "dazzle." I really want this to be true.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVt32qoyhi0&t=73s
(1:13 if the timestamp doesn't work)

Even if it's supposed to mean 10% of their brain's capacity at a time, it still seems way more like it's sourced from the old urban legend.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Elysiume posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVt32qoyhi0&t=73s
(1:13 if the timestamp doesn't work)

Even if it's supposed to mean 10% of their brain's capacity at a time, it still seems way more like it's sourced from the old urban legend.

This shows up in bad sci-fi a lot. It's a common enough myth that Wikipedia has an article on it.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Now, I only watched the first episode of The Mentalist but unlike Psych where they explain where Shawn gets all his clues, The Mentalist guy would just say stuff and people would go "wow, you're right!"

It could have just been a first episode thing but it was enough to make me not want to watch the show.

I saw an episode or two with my parents, who love the show. The episode I remembered most clearly went like this.

:cop: Looks like an open and shut case, Mentalist. Guy comes home to find a burglar strangled his girlfriend!

:jerkbag: Huh - can I have a few minutes alone with this athlete-guy?

:j: Sure! All cops and crime scene guys get out, let this not-cop not-psychic work!

*Seconds later*

:jerkbag: So I'm going to walk through the crime scene, touch everything, and eat peanuts while asking you really annoying poo poo.

:downs: I totally loved her.

:jerkbag: Yea I bet. Is that a safe? Got guns inside? Please, potential murder suspect, put weapons in your hands.

:downs: I didn't kill her.

:jerkbag: Yeah, I'm sure! Let me point some things out that are totally coincidental and in no way shape, or form constitute unshakeable proof. An attorney you can afford would tear my baseless theories to shreds.

:downs: Really, I didn't kill her.

:jerkbag: Still got the gun in your hand? Good! I'm going to provoke you with highly aggressive accusations, purposefully turning this already emotional situation into a highly volatile one!

:downsgun: Aw poo poo, I'm gonna shoot somebody!

:cop: Holy poo poo why did you make him so mad and bring him outside and poo poo he has a gun!

:jerkbag: Its cool, I put peanuts in his gun so I would look super smart and cool!

:downsgun: Oh really? Well I had a backup gun the whole time! PEW PEW!

:cop: Aw poo poo I'm shot and now dead!

:downsgun: Aw poo poo the other cops shot me dead too!

***Back at the office with the boss***

:raise: Mr. Mentalist, the local cops are sort of peeved that you clusterfucked that investigation and put one of them in the grave! You'd better go to the other side of California for a few days while this blows over. After all, everyone forgets a cop's death within a week, especially if it was caused by the ego-stroking actions of a total rear end in a top hat!

Later in the show he magically got a flat tire in front of the real murderer and wrings a confession out of him with bad writing cold reading!

LeJackal has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Jul 24, 2014

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Fine, fine. I don't even care about The Mentalist. I was just pointing out that whatever the dude does isn't magic. That's it!

Since I now feel compelled to contribute, here's one for you. Happy Feet. Every musical number in Happy Feet.

Not that I don't like the music, precisely. They had Queen in there, at least... The deal with the movie is that each penguin has a "heart song" which is supposed to lead them to their ideal mate. Did they bother to compose some original songs? No. No, they did not. That's what irritates me about it.

It doesn't even make sense in-universe because where would a bunch of penguins in Antarctica ever hear about Queen or whatever? It was just lazy. The movie would have been so much better with some original songs.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Dr_Amazing posted:

Just saw Thor 2. Way back in the first one Thor comes to Earth and is confused by modern things like cars and computers. Then when we see his home it's full of modern technology even more advanced than what we have.

Most people don't know poo poo about how anything works. I'd be shocked if even 5% of the population could even superficially expain how an ipad worked or how electricity is generated. And Thor? Thor aint exactly lauded for his smarts, even in the original Norse myths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm not asking him to explain internal combustion or anything. He just seems strangely confused by things he sees everyday. It's like showing someone from our time a record player, and he starts yelling about ghosts of musicians being trapped inside a magic disc.